Top four push

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

benda
Brett Mullins

Re: Top four push

Post by benda »

Got a feeling parra have peaked too soon in the season and now on a downward trajectory.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: August 17, 2020, 6:13 pm Josh Hodgson has moved into the coaching staff for the rest of the season, from what I am told and has been quietly revolutionising the joint with -so-crazy-it-just-might-work-, out of the box ideas...

He's brought so much with him from the SL.
Any examples of these ideas BnM? I know his early running through doors idea didn't catch on, but I'm interested in what he has come up with.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Parramatta’s big loss takes them to +98 and we are +75. With a big win this weekend, we can close that differential gap and, given their form, they will likely drop one more game before the end of the year. Coming in 3rd would give us a week one finals game against the Storm, who I would much rather play compared to the Panthers.

Top 4 is absolutely essential this year. Hopefully the boys are up to it. Obviously, take it one week at a time - Bulldogs have given us trouble in recent years, haven’t been easy beats.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: August 28, 2020, 7:55 am Parramatta’s big loss takes them to +98 and we are +75. With a big win this weekend, we can close that differential gap and, given their form, they will likely drop one more game before the end of the year. Coming in 3rd would give us a week one finals game against the Storm, who I would much rather play compared to the Panthers.

Top 4 is absolutely essential this year. Hopefully the boys are up to it. Obviously, take it one week at a time - Bulldogs have given us trouble in recent years, haven’t been easy beats.
Just texted something similar to my Eels supporting mates (I know, no one else likes me though), suggesting they were sliding out the back door of the top 4 real quick.

They play the Panthers in 2 weeks, and without going into score predictions it'd be fair to say that if we win 2 games in those 2 weeks and they lose one to the panthers that the for/against would be pretty damn close, or probably in our favour.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

it all boils down to us beating the roosters.
Dont delete this GE
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

simo wrote: August 28, 2020, 10:25 am it all boils down to us beating the roosters.
I think Eels' big loss last night coupled with their questionable form opens the door for us to be able to leapfrog them even if we don't beat the Roosters.

If we go 4/5 and they go 2/4 (very possible considering they still have the Panthers) then we could beat them on F/A/

Yeah yeah 1 game at a time and all that jazz, but I am starting to think our top 4 chances have gone from unlikely to very possible courtesy of the Eels' wobbles.
Up The Milk
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Rabbits looked good last night. No idea what’s happened at the Eels, they were atrocious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

TongueFTW wrote: August 28, 2020, 7:55 am Parramatta’s big loss takes them to +98 and we are +75. With a big win this weekend, we can close that differential gap and, given their form, they will likely drop one more game before the end of the year. Coming in 3rd would give us a week one finals game against the Storm, who I would much rather play compared to the Panthers.

It's essential every year. 100% of the time the winner is in the top 4.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Just win baby.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

sprintman wrote: August 28, 2020, 12:11 pm Rabbits looked good last night. No idea what’s happened at the Eels, they were atrocious.
The Rabbits looked very good. I don't think anything has happened to the Eels, I personally think last night is who they are. If they face adversity they crumble. They are flat track bullies who don't have what it takes mentally or culturally to win a comp as they stand now.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: August 28, 2020, 1:55 pm
sprintman wrote: August 28, 2020, 12:11 pm Rabbits looked good last night. No idea what’s happened at the Eels, they were atrocious.
The Rabbits looked very good. I don't think anything has happened to the Eels, I personally think last night is who they are. If they face adversity they crumble. They are flat track bullies who don't have what it takes mentally or culturally to win a comp as they stand now.
Spot on. Eels had to deal with almost no adversity since Project Apollo kicked off. Soft draw and at home every week. They looked very good running down hill. They're lacking steel in their bones and it's showing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: King George

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

The 54 times Brad Arthur said "defence" in the presser last week must of worn off 🤣
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I still have Raiders down for a home first final (5th/6th)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: August 28, 2020, 3:26 pm
The 54 times Brad Arthur said "defence" in the presser last week must of worn off 🤣
Players must have listened in and sat back admiring their own work.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

could be a few upsets coming into finals, like the Raiders/Warriors game last year.
would think some teams like panthers are due for a loss
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think we are a pretty good chance of making the 4.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It will still come down to the Roosters game. MUST WIN GAME FOR US - I've seen the statistics - no team in the NRL era has won outside the top 4, with only 3 teams outside the top 4 from 2010 making the Grand Final. We have to win to be a genuine contender. If we do win, it will all fall into place and we can get top 3 and play Melbourne at Sunshine Coast.

Injuries again starting to bite - Parra had a terrific run without injuries and also playing solely at Bankwest look like losing Dylan Brown. Latrell out for the season so although their form is good I'm comfortable we can handle them if we need to play them again.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Watching the game Roosters v Brisbane, the Roosters' left hand side is lethal. Scott will be marking Josh Morris who is breaking tackles at will against Staggs. Scott will need to be on his game. I guess it's better than having Rapana and Semi on that side last time. Sitili Tupouniua will be a hand full for Whitehead. Roosters move the ball very well either side. Josh Morris is always trying to win a six again. JWH cheated earlier in the game by grabbing the jumper of the Broncos player and got it.
He is a big grub that we need to shut up and put in his place next week. Both Roosters wingers Tupou and Brett Morris are good in the air. Flanagan is trying to run it more and Tedesco is getting more involved.

Way to beat them is up the middle where they let in Fifita through some footwork and also some breaks up the middle as well. Their marker defence is not the best.

Ennis commentated this evening so I'm sure he will send Ricky some tips.

Darius Boyd and Brodie Croft are two of the worst players in the NRL - no contribution and no tackling. They are embarrassing and should not demand to be paid for their efforts. Boyd in particular just won't put his body on the line. I feel sorry for people like Carrigan and Staggs who put in a shift.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: August 28, 2020, 2:56 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 28, 2020, 1:55 pm
Spot on. Eels had to deal with almost no adversity since Project Apollo kicked off. Soft draw and at home every week. They looked very good running down hill. They're lacking steel in their bones and it's showing.
Keep in mind they don't leave sydney in the last 3 weeks and they only have 1 top 8 side left to play. The worst travel they have left is central coast to the warriors after getting a wakeup call. They could easily flat track their way into week 2.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

There's no way in the world we are closing the gap between us and the chooks on for and against, so we must beat them and then keep winning. Our destiny is in our own hands, we are also unlikely to catch the rabbits on f/a. Who are 70 odd points ahead of us.

In saying that, I am expecting parra to drop out of the top 4 before the end of the season... Due to a loss against Penrith As the rabbits showed last night, Parramatta are complete pretenders and implode at every sniff of a big game. They have been mostly injury free for the majority of the year and have left Sydney just ONCE. Any team with that much luck would be up the top regardless. They are where they aby mostly luck.

So there's a good chance there will be another top 4 spot opening up. With the raiders and roosters taking their rightful spots in the top 4 come seasons end..
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The roosters game certainly isn’t a real indicator of form. The broncos performance was one of the most pea hearted displays I have seen in many years of watching league. Many of the tried came from simple missed tackles where defenders were pushed off too easily or were just grabbing at arms.

I think the dogs will give us a better preparation for next week than that!

It’s a simple equation though. Keep winning and we finish top 4. Lose any game and we are relying on other results.

Chooks have a tougher run home than any other contender for the top 8 but seem to have players coming back at the right time.

Eels were rubbish the other night and won’t come close to the panthers. They look like they could lose to anyone. It’s like they smelled finals and started having flashbacks that left them rocking in the corner!

Panthers are still the team to beat it haven’t faced much adversity this season. An injury to a key player could derail them or if they get knocked off week one of the finals I could see them going out in straight sets.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote:There's no way in the world we are closing the gap between us and the chooks on for and against, so we must beat them and then keep winning. Our destiny is in our own hands, we are also unlikely to catch the rabbits on f/a. Who are 70 odd points ahead of us.

In saying that, I am expecting parra to drop out of the top 4 before the end of the season... Due to a loss against Penrith As the rabbits showed last night, Parramatta are complete pretenders and implode at every sniff of a big game. They have been mostly injury free for the majority of the year and have left Sydney just ONCE. Any team with that much luck would be up the top regardless. They are where they aby mostly luck.

So there's a good chance there will be another top 4 spot opening up. With the raiders and roosters taking their rightful spots in the top 4 come seasons end..
lol Image Eels won’t make the top 4??? I think it’s wishful thinking there mate
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

I think we’ll end up rueing losing to Newcastle and Manly. We can go 5-0 on the way in but I’m not sure we will. Hopefully we do our bit and Souths, Easts and Parra **** themselves.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I think we will finish 6th
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Of all the seasons, I'm quite comfortable with us finishing 5th or 6th this year.

We'd be well placed to beat 7th or 8th at home in week 1 and then take our chances on the road against the likes of Parra or the Storm (who would also effectively be playing away) in week 2 to make a prelim. If we can't win both of those games we don't deserve to be in the Grand Final. Once you're in a prelim then anything could happen.

Like 1989, history is just there to be beaten. Especially this year.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Pretty hard to be up 4 weeks in a row in the finals. There will come a time when a team outside of the top 4 wins the comp but I would much prefer to finish in the 4 - and best case scenario it will be 3rd, but with our FA likely 4th. Really up in the air though, we drop the Roosters game and we can still make it - any other losses though and no chance I'd say.

Agree the Knights loss was costly. Our worst performance of the year easily IMO as we just weren't switched on. Manly game not far behind.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: August 29, 2020, 5:54 pm Pretty hard to be up 4 weeks in a row in the finals. There will come a time when a team outside of the top 4 wins the comp but I would much prefer to finish in the 4 - and best case scenario it will be 3rd, but with our FA likely 4th. Really up in the air though, we drop the Roosters game and we can still make it - any other losses though and no chance I'd say.

Agree the Knights loss was costly. Our worst performance of the year easily IMO as we just weren't switched on. Manly game not far behind.
Yep, it's definitely hard, but even the 4 sides still have to win 3 games in 4 weeks to take the whole thing out...and if you win in week one you have to win 3 out of 3 games against the best teams in the comp. No mean feat either.

I guess my point is that this year we have quite a few struggling or inconsistent teams across the top 8. We have struggled to hit our peak, but we are at least playing reasonably consistent footy. Unlike some other teams, there isn't a huge gap between our best and worst footy.

Dunno, it's clearly much better to finish in the top 4 and I obviously hope we do so, but I honestly don't think it's beyond us if we don't.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Warriors and Sharks games worry me..Dragons also
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raiders666 wrote: August 29, 2020, 7:58 pm Warriors and Sharks games worry me..Dragons also
You sound worse than me.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

5ths not necessarily a bad finish all things considered. The teams fighting for 8th are starting to fall away

It would be nice to scrape into 4th at parras expense and knock off Penrith week one though

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Azza wrote: August 29, 2020, 8:06 pm
Raiders666 wrote: August 29, 2020, 7:58 pm Warriors and Sharks games worry me..Dragons also
You sound worse than me.
You know I saw your avatar in my field of vision and thought it was your post haha.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

LastRaider wrote: August 29, 2020, 8:27 am
Groundskeeer Willie wrote:There's no way in the world we are closing the gap between us and the chooks on for and against, so we must beat them and then keep winning. Our destiny is in our own hands, we are also unlikely to catch the rabbits on f/a. Who are 70 odd points ahead of us.

lol Image Eels won’t make the top 4??? I think it’s wishful thinking there mate
Actually, I just scrolled up and realised everyone was saying the same thing before I even said it.. :roll:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Having a long winning run like Penrith does not mean that you will win the Premiership or even get into the Grand Final for that matter. Just think of Canterbury in 2012 - 12 straight but lost to Melbourne in the Grand Final (who lost 5 games straight between rounds 16 to 21 but then recovered - a bit like Cronulla in 2016). We won 10 straight in 2016 but didn't make the Grand Final. I recall Cronulla in 1988 were minor premiers with only 4 losses and a winning streak but didn't make the GF, same with Souths in 1989 with 3 losses and a long unbeaten run. So it's a matter of having momentum and confidence, no or little injuries and peaking at the right time. It's hard to have a run like Canterbury in 1995 and come from nowhere to beat the likes of Brisbane, us and Manly to win the GF. I think if we don't beat Roosters in Round 17 at home then we are making up the numbers. Although I'm proud of what we have done so far with the travel and injuries, we have been inconsistent all year with our attack clunky and defence not as good as last year, but top 5. I really hope Ricky's coaching can get us up against the Roosters. If we win that one, I doubt if we will drop any more games before the finals and we build momentum.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Where would a storm 2nd vs 3rd raiders finals match be held?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: August 29, 2020, 11:07 pm Where would a storm 2nd vs 3rd raiders finals match be held?
Most likely Sunshine Coast