Jarrod Croker's goal kicking

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Jarrod Croker's goal kicking

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Proof that NRL goalkickers are crucial — and you can’t win a comp going up by fours

In the last decade, one in three NRL matches have been decided by 6 points or less. The fact that 32.25% of games finish so closely points to the importance of a reliable goal-kicker. Often considered a ‘bonus’, goalkicking is a crucial skill that is undervalued.

The ability to strike above 80% is an underpriced commodity, and therefore delivers significant value at minimal cost. Highest success rates in 2020 (Minimum 20 attempts to Round 12)

– Cameron Smith (Storm) 86.44% (51/59)

– Adam Reynolds (Rabbitohs) 86.05% (37/43)

– Jarrod Croker (Raiders) 85.00% (34/40)

– Nathan Cleary (Panthers) 81.63% (40/49)

– Kyle Flanagan (Roosters) 80.88% (55/68)

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bd3827973f

It's often overlooked, but it's great that we have one of the best goal kickers in the NRL. I'm very pleased how Croker's kicking, and mentioned with another couple of posters how he converted that Scott try out wide against Nth Qld that ultimately made the difference. In previous years, and probably unfairly to him as I had a 2009 West Tigers semi final bias against him, I didn't have much confidence in his kicking but he's cool and calm under pressure, e.g. Parramatta game earlier this year to make it 24 all (not from sideline but not easy angle under pressure), Manly golden point game at Brookvale when we ultimately lost in Golden Point due to DCE field goal a few years ago (2017 or 2018). It goes without saying that matches against the top sides are very close and will be in the semi finals, and by going up in multiples of six it actually changes the perspective and psychology how you play, and whether we can go for a penalty goal to win or level etc. These details sometimes means winning or losing. Given our issues with general play kicking to find metres with Jack and Williams, I wonder why he doesn't kick in general play - all the above goal kickers do except Croker.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Jarrod Croker's goal kicking

Post by Mickey_Raider »

When all is said and done he has been a good goal kicker over the course of his career.

However last year his left>right kicking was atrocious.

Good to see he is hitting them well again this year as we are winning off pretty skinny margins most of the time.
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Glad to see that he seems to have bounced back after his issues from wide of the posts last season. Looks to be driving through the ball a lot better with less fade.

The NRL's goalkicking stocks have taken a bit of a hit in recent times with the loss of guys like Thurston, Gordon, Hodkinson, Maloney. No one of similar or better quality has really stepped up to replace them, so the ranks are looking a bit thinner. It's an area that all teams still don't seem to be taking as seriously as I feel they should IMO, especially with the games being as close as you've pointed out. It'd be worth having an outside back in your team there for his kicking only if he was the best kicker at your disposal, similar to a guy like Daryl Halligan who from memory was always a pretty ordinary player.

Jarrod's generally always been in the top 4-5 goal kickers in the comp throughout his career. I've currently got him behind Cleary, Smith, and Reynolds at fourth best, with Flanagan and Moses (error not including him on the list) behind him. I think Flanagan is the one guy with loads of potential - developed a fantastic technique.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah Croker has been on fire since the return from the COVID break
Its good to see after a bit of a down year last year, especially in the finals where he had some shakey moments
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Expected to see shorn johnson in the bottom 5, feels like sharks are often losing games with goal kicking the difference the last 2 years.. unless it just happened a few times in a row

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He goes alright Toots..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Croker been 80%+ throughout his career which is quite an achievement. Last year dropped to around 72% I believe. Certainly an aberration by his standards. I think he had the Goalkicker equivalent of the yips. Still a few teams wouldn't mind a 72% kicker right now.

He's back on track this year and kicking as well as ever. Good news because I've got no idea who our backup would be now Sezer is gone.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: him as I had a 2009 West Tigers semi final bias against him
2010. Still hurts.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: August 11, 2020, 4:15 pm Croker been 80%+ throughout his career which is quite an achievement. Last year dropped to around 72% I believe. Certainly an aberration by his standards. I think he had the Goalkicker equivalent of the yips. Still a few teams wouldn't mind a 72% kicker right now.

He's back on track this year and kicking as well as ever. Good news because I've got no idea who our backup would be now Sezer is gone.
I think it comes down to GWilly and Rapana.

GWilly is the more accomplished but Rapana is the more assertive. GWilly has kicked around 70 goals for Wigan so only full time maybe for one season but is their backup usually plus had the gig for one full season at least.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

He looked excellent against the Bronco's. It didn't matter the position he was kicking from, they all had 'black dot' direction.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:He looked excellent against the Bronco's. It didn't matter the position he was kicking from, they all had 'black dot' direction.
Compare to kyle feldt whose kicking cost the cows victory

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

He’s absolutely flushing them, but wow if it isn’t time to start hiding him on the wing El Masri or Halligan-style...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Tbh last night was a goal kicking clinic.

I was worried earlier at the start of the season but he appears to have turned a corner and his nailing them now.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Has to be useful for something...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

sprintman wrote:Has to be useful for something...
By that logic I have to assume you’re also good at goalkicking? Image
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

gangrenous wrote: August 16, 2020, 12:19 pm
sprintman wrote:Has to be useful for something...
By that logic I have to assume you’re also good at goalkicking? Image
Better than passable back I’m my sporting days...
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

sprintman wrote: August 16, 2020, 10:28 am Has to be useful for something...
Did we watch the same game? From some of the remarks about Croker in the game thread and in here I thought he dropped everything and let in ten tries. But he was actually pretty good.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

raiderskater wrote: August 16, 2020, 12:33 pm
sprintman wrote: August 16, 2020, 10:28 am Has to be useful for something...
Did we watch the same game? From some of the remarks about Croker in the game thread and in here I thought he dropped everything and let in ten tries. But he was actually pretty good.
Not just this game.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

He is an ace goal kicker.
No doubt.

It is such a luxury, especially those from touch to see 4 turn into 6.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm glad his goalkicking has come around, because most of the rest of his game has become awful. It's getting close to the point where he becomes our Daryl Halligan.

Still, last night was probably the cleanest and most confident I've seen him strike them. With the way our attack is this year we'll need everything we can get.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’ll concede he’s doing a good job of turning 4’s into 6’s at the moment, he’s clearly worked hard to get his groove back.

But it won’t count for much when he’s still regularly turning 0’s into 4’s for the opposition with his poor reads and weak tackling in defence. He’s had 10 years in the top grade to get that stuff right...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I find his defence goes in waves. Sometimes he's been great in defence in his career - other times not so much. Probably has a fair bit to do with his inside and outside men.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Croker was nailing the conversions last night.

I still don't know why Cotric has been moved to the other side, so Croker and Rapana have to build a new combination.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I guess everyone's back on the **** on Croker train.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raider Azz wrote: August 16, 2020, 6:31 pm I guess everyone's back on the **** on Croker train.

Get off your high horse for once.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: August 16, 2020, 6:31 pm I guess everyone's back on the **** on Croker train.

When people stop needlessly piling on players I'll stop calling them out for it.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raider Azz wrote: August 16, 2020, 6:35 pm
Azza wrote:

When people stop needlessly piling on players I'll stop calling them out for it.

I love Croker. Would be one of my first picked. He bleeds green like no other. But I cannot deny he has (and has had) issues with his defence at times in his career.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote:
Azza wrote:

I love Croker. Would be one of my first picked. He bleeds green like no other. But I cannot deny he has (and has had) issues with his defence at times in his career.
I don't deny any of that and I'm not calling you out for it.

What I have a problem with is people who claim he should be stripped of the captaincy, that he should be dropped, or that he should be "hid" on the wing.
All opinions I've read in game day threads.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Raider Azz wrote: August 16, 2020, 6:41 pm
Azza wrote:
Azza wrote:

What I have a problem with is people who claim he should be stripped of the captaincy, that he should be dropped, or that he should be "hid" on the wing.
All opinions I've read in threads.

None of which has been said in this thread.... the one you're currently posting in.

To re-iterate Azza's first comment to you, get off your high horse - Croker isn't above criticism.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: August 16, 2020, 6:41 pm
Azza wrote:
Azza wrote:

All opinions I've read in threads.

None of which have been in said in this thread.... the one you're currently posting in.

To re-iterate Azza's first comment to you, get off your high horse - Croker isn't above criticism.
You're one of the worst offenders when it comes to randomly picking out players for virtol and then constantly piling onto every small mistake they make for the rest of their career in green. So yeah, I'm calling you out, and you can **** right off.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

:lol:

Have a **** cry. You're a shocking poster, absolute serial whinger.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:Image

Have a **** cry. You're a shocking poster, absolute serial whinger.
Perhaps you'd enjoy supporting a different team, because you certainly don't seem to enjoy being a Raiders fan. I'm sure plenty would be quite happy to see you leave.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah.....nah.

Word of advice mate, since this seems to be pretty typical of you in my experience, and you're hyped up giving instant replies to anything directed at you - step away from the computer/phone, take some time out and cool down. No need to take yourself or things so seriously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Could we avoid the personal comments please and stick to the footy?

Personal view... By the way, I suspect the bulk of Canberra fans, including on this board, love Jarrod Croker. Repeated posts on the same subject from a few posters, might not represent the prevailing view, I suspect it doesn't.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:Yeah.....nah.

Word of advice mate, since this seems to be pretty typical of you in my experience, and you're hyped up giving instant replies to anything directed at you - step away from the computer/phone, take some time out and cool down. No need to take yourself or things so seriously.
Says the dude with more posts in less time than me, who has also happened to reply within minutes to every post I've made in this thread.

It's like taking quitting advice from an alcoholic.