NRL fines Ivan Cleary $20,000 for questioning referee's integrity

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Honestly, I have never liked the guy after how he handled the tigers.

But come on complaining about the refs after that one. He said words to the effect that Canberra were being managed back into the game.

Penrith were excellent with one of the best half’s of footy you will ever see.

But let’s be realistic, There first penalty was a bunch of crap I counted about 15 worse high tackles that didn’t get called in the match, it was literally a Penrith under the pump have some charity call.

There was a penalty for a slight tap on the head, even the speed at which we were getting cleared of the ruck was ridiculous for the first half.

What about when your own flesh and blood pushed a guy playing the ball to cause him to stop regather and play it again on your own try line any other day that is a penalty. The rapana call was one hundred percent right. Because you don’t teach your players the rules isn’t our fault.

Honestly I have no issue with the refs, it was a typical out of Sydney side plying in Sydney job, not a robbery but no love (refs against Melbourne and manly were way way worse).

Whilst I think the panthers are morals to win the comp this foul attitude in the press conference from a proven weak EDIT, will have me going for the chooks or storm over them.

With a bit of luck we will face the storm / eels and not the chooks panthers in the finals though...
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: Ivan Cleary the great dog

Post by Off »

Him and his Minnie me looking **** **** can get ****.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: Ivan Cleary the great dog

Post by Off »

**** tic tocking stunted growth looking ****.
This place is woke.
benda
Brett Mullins

Re: Ivan Cleary

Post by benda »

Whilst the calls were borderline.. I think they were correct.

Unjustified.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

What a favourable draw they have, compared to ours in regards to travel. It’s gonna be a hard pill for him to swallow after they get knocked out in the semis or prelim....their youth won’t beat experience when it matters...
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

He obviously does not subscribe to the terminology 'gracious winner'.
Panthers can be the 'Storm' of 2020. Win the minor premiership and get bundled out if the finals with two losses, then IC can move onto 'bad loser'.

What an absolute tosser.
:roflmao :roflmao
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

papabear wrote: August 9, 2020, 11:45 am Honestly, I have never liked the guy after how he handled the tigers.

But come on complaining about the refs after that one. He said words to the effect that Canberra were being managed back into the game.

Penrith were excellent with one of the best half’s of footy you will ever see.

But let’s be realistic, There first penalty was a bunch of crap I counted about 15 worse high tackles that didn’t get called in the match, it was literally a Penrith under the pump have some charity call.

There was a penalty for a slight tap on the head, even the speed at which we were getting cleared of the ruck was ridiculous for the first half.

What about when your own flesh and blood pushed a guy playing the ball to cause him to stop regather and play it again on your own try line any other day that is a penalty. The rapana call was one hundred percent right. Because you don’t teach your players the rules isn’t our fault.

Honestly I have no issue with the refs, it was a typical out of Sydney side plying in Sydney job, not a robbery but no love (refs against Melbourne and manly were way way worse).

Whilst I think the panthers are morals to win the comp this foul attitude in the press conference from a proven weak EDIT, will have me going for the chooks or storm over them.

With a bit of luck we will face the storm / eels and not the chooks panthers in the finals though...
Yup that first penalty was a shocker. Accidents happen in rugby league - you don't earn a penalty by slipping over.

We had the rub of the green in the second half and overall. But no doubting some of the more vital calls early on went their way.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's poor form for a coach. His team put in such a high class performance and he has a gripe about the refs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I really really really dont like cleary nor his son.
The whole tick tock thing, waving at the tigers fan , this sook about the refs just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth

Even Arthur acknowledges the fact the eels have an easy draw and other teams such as ours have it a lot tougher with travel

Good to hear the NRL are going to fine him for the refs spray
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We’re throwing a lot of stones for a club coached by a guy who only very recently moved out of the glass house
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Cleary is an arrogant **** who is not a good coach anyway. Hopeless recruitment at West Tigers. I dislike him and his Tik Tok son, Zane EDIT Tetevano, and Tyrone EDIT May immensely and I hope we get the chance to play Penrith again down the track. Naden must be EDIT.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

A lot of hate for some fairly inoffensive people. Some would suggest that there are some sore losers around these parts. Some would. Not me though
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I thought the Panthers were allowed to get away with way too much in the ruck in the first half. The ref was audibly coaching our players out of the tackle, while they were allowed to slow us right down on any number of occasions. For whatever reason that changed in the second half.

So, while we got a couple of 50/50 calls in the second, by then it didn't matter as the game was toast.

I thought Cleary's presser showed a lack of humility and a ton of arrogance. They played 40 minutes of fantastic footy and we probably topped them in the second half. At this stage they've achieved nothing of substance, but they have certainly proven themselves to be a contender.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: August 9, 2020, 5:00 pm We’re throwing a lot of stones for a club coached by a guy who only very recently moved out of the glass house
You don’t throw stones when you win easy...

He’s just a funny headed beast of a man.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:01 pm I thought the Panthers were allowed to get away with way too much in the ruck in the first half. The ref was audibly coaching our players out of the tackle, while they were allowed to slow us right down on any number of occasions. For whatever reason that changed in the second half.

So, while we got a couple of 50/50 calls in the second, by then it didn't matter as the game was toast.

I thought Cleary's presser showed a lack of humility and a ton of arrogance. They played 40 minutes of fantastic footy and we probably topped them in the second half. At this stage they've achieved nothing of substance, but they have certainly proven themselves to be a contender.
This... it was strange, before the guys hit the ground he had told the players the order in which they wanted to get off attacking player and to make it happen...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I really want to throw a brick at my TV Every time I see Ivan or Nathan’s Face. Can’t stand them.

Most overrated Coach who has never won anything.

I hope they get knocked out in straight sets.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

papabear wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:03 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:01 pm I thought the Panthers were allowed to get away with way too much in the ruck in the first half. The ref was audibly coaching our players out of the tackle, while they were allowed to slow us right down on any number of occasions. For whatever reason that changed in the second half.

This... it was strange, before the guys hit the ground he had told the players the order in which they wanted to get off attacking player and to make it happen...
Yeah, it really was outrageous. Our guys were being called out by name as the tackle was being made. Meanwhile after our opening 10 minute burst, on at least 5 or 6 occasions they had 3 players able to play **** twister on our blokes with not a word being said.

It was really odd.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys calls for Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary to be fined for questioning refs with ‘deplorable’ comment after clash with Canberra Raiders

Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary faces a fine from the NRL after he questioned the officiating in his side’s 28-12 win over Canberra. "I don’t know, it felt like they were being managed back into the game … that’s all I can say. There were some really, really strange calls," Cleary said.

In response Peter V’landys said: "Those comments are deplorable, and if anyone thinks they can question the integrity of our officials they have another thing coming".

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 13305db636

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys says Ivan Cleary should be fined for comments

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart hopes there will be consistency with punishments handed out in the past when it comes to criticising referees. Asked if he'd heard Cleary's comments after the Panthers' win over the Raiders, Stuart had a succinct answer.

"No I was told about it and I know what would happen if I had've said it," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'Felt like they were being managed back into the game': Panthers coach lashes referees: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/panthers-c ... 3bf368e0e5

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/08/cle ... hievement/

V'landys blasts Cleary over ref comments: https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/ ... e-comments
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: ARLC chairman Peter V'landys says Ivan Cleary should be fined for comments

Post by Neeeegz »

Smug **** ....tik tok ****
Last edited by greeneyed on August 9, 2020, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No swearing is permitted on the site, in any form
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

For such a smug cocky bloke Ivan really hasnt achieved much

I can't wait for the finals and to see the panthers choke, I personally think they have peaked too soon and only really have the eels who will push them coming into the finals
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cleary getting a bit carried away with Panther's early success. Thinking he can say what he likes. V'landys going to bring him back to earth very promptly.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Why is V'Landys commenting on matters like this?

Take a back seat mate and move out of the spotlight. Not your job - you're there to govern the game, not pass judgement on a soundbite from a coach.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

afgtnk wrote: August 9, 2020, 7:48 pm Why is V'Landys commenting on matters like this?

Take a back seat mate and move out of the spotlight. Not your job - you're there to govern the game, not pass judgement on a soundbite from a coach.
we have a relieving ceo at the moment so I am happy for Petey to put Ivan in his box and shut the lid
Vaccinated
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

And?

An interim-CEO should be more than capable of dealing and commenting on a matter like this, especially if he's gunning for the job full time. Annesley too.

We don't need the Chairman of game's governing body shooting from the hip like this on standard operational matters anytime some hack gives him a ring - not a healthy way to run things.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The Panthers press conference last night was embarrassing. Enjoy the win Ivan, you beat a good team.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 9, 2020, 5:58 pm A lot of hate for some fairly inoffensive people. Some would suggest that there are some sore losers around these parts. Some would. Not me though
No-one should ever call Tetevano or May inoffensive. They're absolute stains on the game and should not even be allowed to play.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 9, 2020, 5:58 pm A lot of hate for some fairly inoffensive people. Some would suggest that there are some sore losers around these parts. Some would. Not me though
So I can remind you of some of the things the players I mentioned have done, and why the hatred is there:

Nice guys, right? Want to introduce your sister or daughter to them?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/zane-t ... hbp8e.html

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 6889474c59
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

To me Ivan Cleary's comments suggest the Refs were trying to engineer outcomes in the match. ie manipulating to get a result.
'Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary faces a fine from the NRL after he questioned the officiating in his side’s 28-12 win over Canberra. "I don’t know, it felt like they were being managed back into the game '

For someone like V'landys this is questioning the bona fides of the game. His whole career is built on straight shooting and above board outcomes. He's calling the competition leaders coach out on it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 9, 2020, 9:24 pm
So I can remind you of some of the things the players I mentioned have done, and why the hatred is there:

Nice guys, right? Want to introduce your sister or daughter to them?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/zane-t ... hbp8e.html

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 6889474c59
That's all OK along with guys like Packer and Lodge. But we can't let Folau back in. He said something mean in the Internet.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: August 9, 2020, 10:01 pm To me Ivan Cleary's comments suggest the Refs were trying to engineer outcomes in the match. ie manipulating to get a result.
'Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary faces a fine from the NRL after he questioned the officiating in his side’s 28-12 win over Canberra. "I don’t know, it felt like they were being managed back into the game '

For someone like V'landys this is questioning the bona fides of the game. His whole career is built on straight shooting and above board outcomes. He's calling the competition leaders coach out on it.
That's the crux of it. They don't mind so much when coaches blow up about poor decisions. When they question the integrity of refs it's a whole different matter.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's the irony of the situation that amuses me the most. They had some very lax interpretations of ruck infringements going their way throughout the first half which Stuart was never going to comment on.

Anyway, sore winners are the worst of the lot.

Hopefully we see them again in the finals.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Some people won’t like this, but I think Refs have been too keen to EDIT over the last few years when one team has a big lead.

Raiders lost many games after holding a strong lead and suddenly the refs would penalise Raiders for minor indiscretions and wouldn’t penalise the opposition for major indiscretions.

After having a good lead, We had players suddenly being penalised for being off side at the kickoff or the defender having hand on the ball.

Infringements that were routinely getting ignored previously.

I think the two decisions that went the Raiders way on Rapana were lucky for us on Saturday.

But they weren’t as bad as many of the decisions Raiders have copped over the last few years. Ricky has paid ten grand fines for much less than Cleary’s comments.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL fines Ivan Cleary $20,000 for questioning referee's integrity

Post by greeneyed »

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has been fined $20,000 by the NRL after his claims on Saturday night that it felt like the referees had "managed" the Raiders back into their contest.

Following his team's win over Canberra, he said "it felt like they were being managed back into the game. That's all I can say … some really strange calls."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/10/nrl ... integrity/

Ivan Cleary breach notice

The National Rugby League (NRL) today issued Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary with a breach notice after comments he made at a post-match media conference on Saturday night.

The notice proposes Cleary be fined $20,000 for the comments which questioned the integrity of NRL officials.

Acting Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said there was no place in the game for public comments of that nature.

"I am disappointed that a person in a leadership position within our game has made comments that question the integrity of our officials. Our leaders should be professional and set the standard for our game. Comments like this will not be tolerated. The foundation of our competition is its integrity and Ivan’s comments undermined that." he said.

"At times our officials, like players, will make errors during games. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on those individual decisions, but we will not accept the integrity of our officials being questioned.

"Every Monday we live stream a football briefing explaining every contentious decision. Our officiating is as open and transparent as it can possibly be. Ivan’s comments were disappointing, not aligned to the standards we uphold and will not be tolerated."

NRL media release
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: August 10, 2020, 11:10 am Some people won’t like this, but I think Refs have been too keen to manage games over the last few years when one team has a big lead.

Raiders lost many games after holding a strong lead and suddenly the refs would penalise Raiders for minor indiscretions and wouldn’t penalise the opposition for major indiscretions.

After having a good lead, We had players suddenly being penalised for being off side at the kickoff or the defender having hand on the ball.

Infringements that were routinely getting ignored previously.

I think the two decisions that went the Raiders way on Rapana were lucky for us on Saturday.

But they weren’t as bad as many of the decisions Raiders have copped over the last few years. Ricky has paid ten grand fines for much less than Cleary’s comments.
$10k fine right there BJ. I'll send the bank details. Let me know when payment has been made.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL fines Ivan Cleary $20,000 for questioning referee's integrity

Post by bonehead »

I think to an extent BJ is right, nrl wanted close finishes where possible but V'Landys strongest asset is his integrity so I won't cop that now.
I think by removing the 2nd ref there's less grey which was allowing the the losing team leg up. remembering the ref's used to swap between pocket and lead depending who was in possession etc, used to get big swings in second half play once the ref lead swapped teams.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer