6%
Broncos 13+
6%

Total votes: 17

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews

Post by bonehead »

felt like Havili spent too long at 9 on Saturday night, you see a definite change to the service when starling comes on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

LastRaider wrote: August 10, 2020, 4:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:16 pm
Neeeegz wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:12 pm In the past when Whitehead played a few games at lock he looked great, that's the way I would go
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
Willing to give this a try for the next three games. Agree that's the best to fit all three of them in the starting side.
Bateman was good when he played 13 last year too. I agree this approach is the best way to get CHN onto the field without weakening the team. Hudson Young is solid at 13 but has little impact.
Yeah I agree. I actually like Bateman at 13. But Stuart is concerned about Scott’s defence so will be inclined to keep Bateman on the edge.
CHN plays on the left so Whitehead could be moved to the right if CHN was to start. We don't need to have Bateman on that edge with Whitehead in the squad. I personally would prefer to see:
11. Whitehead
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Bateman

Young can play off the bench in the middle and Tapine can be included in the prop rotation. I'm also of the view that against top 4 sides we really need to start strong and I want to see our best players starting rather than saving guys for impact in the middle of the game. That means Tapine to start at prop alongside Papalii with the three I named above as our backrow. Lui, Young and Sutton to play off the bench with Guler to push one out once he's fit. I don't think that's the way we'll go for this game but we need to look at this for the longer term imo.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by raider 86 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 10, 2020, 5:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:12 pm In the past when Whitehead played a few games at lock he looked great, that's the way I would go
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
Willing to give this a try for the next three games. Agree that's the best to fit all three of them in the starting side.
Bateman was good when he played 13 last year too. I agree this approach is the best way to get CHN onto the field without weakening the team. Hudson Young is solid at 13 but has little impact.
Yeah I agree. I actually like Bateman at 13. But Stuart is concerned about Scott’s defence so will be inclined to keep Bateman on the edge.
CHN plays on the left so Whitehead could be moved to the right if CHN was to start. We don't need to have Bateman on that edge with Whitehead in the squad. I personally would prefer to see:
11. Whitehead
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Bateman

Young can play off the bench in the middle and Tapine can be included in the prop rotation. I'm also of the view that against top 4 sides we really need to start strong and I want to see our best players starting rather than saving guys for impact in the middle of the game. That means Tapine to start at prop alongside Papalii with the three I named above as our backrow. Lui, Young and Sutton to play off the bench with Guler to push one out once he's fit. I don't think that's the way we'll go for this game but we need to look at this for the longer term imo.
Corey can play either side but he is better on the right side imo
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

raider 86 wrote: August 10, 2020, 5:29 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 10, 2020, 5:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

11. Whitehead
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Bateman

Corey can play either side but he is better on the right side imo
Ahh true, I thought left edge was the preferred side for some reason... either way, we need those three starting in the backrow imo
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

radicalraider wrote: August 9, 2020, 8:28 am Rickys team selections was the biggest mistake
.. he should of been smarter than Batemans ego and put tapine on kikaus side.. don't think Bateman tackled him once at first attempt... which is ok coz hes 20kg lighter. croker and Scott got man Handled by opposing centres.
LETS BE FAIR DINKUM !
WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN A COMP WITH CROKER AND SCOTT IN THE CENTRES!
Cotric doesn't look happy he had 7 runs? He should be playing centre.
You don’t win Premierships from the centres, win the rucks and let the halves dictate attack with momentum and space, exactly what’s lacking in our attack post Covid, rewind to round one against the Titans, this is in the coach and his inability to adjust our attack to the new pace of the game
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Kryptonite wrote: August 10, 2020, 5:49 pm
radicalraider wrote: August 9, 2020, 8:28 am Rickys team selections was the biggest mistake
.. he should of been smarter than Batemans ego and put tapine on kikaus side.. don't think Bateman tackled him once at first attempt... which is ok coz hes 20kg lighter. croker and Scott got man Handled by opposing centres.
LETS BE FAIR DINKUM !
WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN A COMP WITH CROKER AND SCOTT IN THE CENTRES!
Cotric doesn't look happy he had 7 runs? He should be playing centre.
You don’t win Premierships from the centres, win the rucks and let the halves dictate attack with momentum and space, exactly what’s lacking in our attack post Covid, rewind to round one against the Titans, this is in the coach and his inability to adjust our attack to the new pace of the game
This is a bit harsh on the coach as the rule changes were made mid-season... when you've built a team to play a specific style and you've done a really good job at building that team, it makes it very difficult to completely change tact in the middle of the season when there is little room to make changes via recruitment and what not. He made his concerns around this clear during the shut down period.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Brisbane are in all sorts.

We really need a few quick tries and then hammer them into oblivion.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Perfect coronavirus storm plays part in Canberra Raiders injury crisis

The coronavirus-induced NRL shutdown could have played a role in Josh Hodgson's season-ending knee injury, while their huge travel toll was exacerbating the Canberra Raiders' injury crisis.

Physiotherapist Brien Seeney, more commonly known by his Twitter handle NRL Physio, said same-day travel and the NRL's six-week lockdown were both factors in the masses of injuries being suffered across professional sport.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Broncos: Havili pencilled in: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34181

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/10/rai ... uld-start/
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

GE have you ever considered having a Steve Hoffman Forum approach to posters quoting others?
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Broncos have a 16 point start. That's way too much isn't it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

1992 wrote: August 10, 2020, 8:10 pm GE have you ever considered having a Steve Hoffman Forum approach to posters quoting others?
And what's that?

PS. Excuse me, I had to look up who Steve Hoffman is. And I even googled his approach to quoting in his forum... but I ran out of time before working out what it was. Our posters often have trouble even using quotes... ;)
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Basically it makes it so quoting does not take up so much space and you have to click the quoted text to expand.

Bit off idiocy on my part mentioning it considering I do not know if it is possible on here to fix.
It does need a revamp though. Too much space is taken and it hurts the eyes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

1992 wrote: August 10, 2020, 9:46 pm Basically it makes it so quoting does not take up so much space and you have to click the quoted text to expand.

Bit off idiocy on my part mentioning it considering I do not know if it is possible on here to fix.
It does need a revamp though. Too much space is taken and it hurts the eyes.
Very happy to explore that idea... It happens on Tapatalk as standard. nacho is working on improving the forum... so can you send him a PM to suggest it? If it is possible, we'll do it.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

EDIT

Thanks for your time.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Anyone up for a laugh needs to visit the Brisbane forum. They are in all sorts.

If we lose to this rabble it would be worse than the 4:68 drubbing we copped from Melbourne in 2013.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

1992 wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:01 pm Anyone up for a laugh needs to visit the Brisbane forum. They are in all sorts.

If we lose to this rabble it would be worse than the 4:68 drubbing we copped from Melbourne in 2013.
Was that the hulk jerseys and purple shorts? Or was Hulk against NZ? Tough days those games 😩
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can I suggest some people read the forum guidelines. They're pretty simple: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10740
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Old School Green wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:09 pm
1992 wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:01 pm Anyone up for a laugh needs to visit the Brisbane forum. They are in all sorts.

Was that the hulk jerseys and purple shorts? Or was Hulk against NZ? Tough days those games 😩
HULK was against N.Z the following year.

Now if you will excuse me, sir.
I need to read the rules that make this forum the worst of all NRL teams.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

This game worries me, no Seibold, no Pangai, Darius quits leadership, Gronko’s due for a win, our confidence a bit rattled and we are hot favourites................
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

EDIT

We should win this game fairly comfortably but we're also not good enough this year to take any game for granted
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:EDIT

We should win this game fairly comfortably but we're also not good enough this year to take any game for granted
Yes. Unfortunately the history of sports is littered with teams who overcame the odds to win in situations like this.

I’m concerned that the Broncos will win if we don’t bring our A game for at least 70 minutes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to auction off match worn jerseys for Black Dog Institute

The Canberra Raiders are giving fans the opportunity to bid on the match-worn jerseys from Saturday’s match against the Brisbane Broncos, to help raise money for the Black Dog Institute.

Thanks to www.allbids.com.au the jerseys will be made available for auction once the team has been named for the weekend’s match, with 18 individual jerseys signed by the player named in that jersey, a jersey signed by coach Ricky Stuart and a full signed jersey all available.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... institute/
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

EDIT
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we please avoid posts involving unsubstantiated reports? Usual guideline applies... we need a link to a reputable mainstream news media report.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pack must limit opportunities for talented, young Brisbane Broncos forwards: Josh Papalii

The Brisbane Broncos will be without coach Anthony Seibold, "on field coach" Alfie Langer and second rower Tevita Pangai Junior when they visit Canberra Stadium this Saturday night for a clash with the Green Machine.

But Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii is still wary of their the talented, young Broncos forward pack - which includes the likes of Payne Haas and David Fifita.

Payne Haas has been among the top five props for metres gained in the competition this year - and in the 2020 Players' Poll, the 20 year old ranked fourth on the list of the game's best props. He was not far behind Papalii himself, on that list.

Meanwhile David Fifita has just become the $3 million man, signing a deal worth in excess of $1 million a season with the Gold Coast Titans. According to the Players' Poll, he is in the top three second rowers in the game. But that's still extraordinary money for a 20 year old second rower.

Papalii knows it will be important to contain them.

"I think with the coach out and a few players out, that will just give more opportunities for the younger players to showcase their spot in the team," Papalii said on Tuesday.

"Talking to "Milf" [Broncos half Anthony Milford} as well through the week, he's saying that they've been training well and they're pretty keen for this game."

"They haven't won [except for one game] since we started back up. I hope that's not the case [that the Broncos get a win] on Saturday night."

Papalii says the the team is disappointed that they did not put up a stronger challenge against the Penrith Panthers last weekend. But there were some positives from that match. And Saturday's meeting with the Broncos is a chance for Canberra to build on the positives.

"The boys are definitely disappointed in the weekend's performance. But in saying that, we took a lot of positives out of that game," Papalii said.

"We wanted to test ourselves against the best and the best were Penrith on the day. They're just playing good footy at the moment."

"I thought we could have started a bit better, but it's just the way it is. They've got a roll on at the moment and it was just hard to stop.

"I think that game on the weekend, we let ourselves down and we didn't give ourselves the best opportunity to test the Panthers out."

"Our boys are [now] just focussed on what we can do."

"We have to try to get off to a good start, and try to limit the young forwards that the Broncos have with the ball. The more we can do that [restrict their opportunities with the ball], I think we'll hopefully be singing the club song on Saturday."

Papalii welcomed this week's news that the Raiders have signed Gold Coast Titans prop Ryan James.

James has not played a match since Round 6 last year, most recently suffering an ACL injury early in 2020. But the 29 year old expects to be right to go with the Raiders, from the start of 2021.

"He's obviously been the best forward up at the Titans for many years," Papalii said.

"I played schoolboys with Ryan James back in 2008 or 2009. He's still the same size, still runs hard, still tackles hard. I only think that's going to be a plus for this team."

"He can share his experience and knowledge with the young boys here as well."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Papalii wary of young Broncos: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... g-broncos/
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I think the worst loss in recent year was the loss to Newcastle in 2017 when we were red-hot favourites and N'castle was paying $6.00. We played like a win was a foregone conclusion and paid for it. I hope the same mentality is not on show Sat night.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 14 NRL teams: Raiders V Broncos

Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Saturday August 15 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s match against the Brisbane Broncos at GIO Stadium. Siliva Havili has been named to start the match after overcoming a triceps injury. There are no changes to the team.

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Broncos: All you need to know! Team news, history, stat attack, key match-ups and more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34181

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Joe Tapine
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Sam Williams
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Kai O’Donnell
21. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Semi Valemei, Knee (Rd 16-17)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Rd 17-19)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, until at least Rd 19, possibly season)
Sia Soliola, Palate (Indefinite, until at least Rd 20, possibly season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Brisbane Broncos

1. Darius Boyd
2. Richard Kennar
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Brodie Croft
7. Tom Dearden
8. Thomas Flegler
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Ben Te'o
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Jordan Riki
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Matthew Lodge

18. Issac Luke
19. Ethan Bullemor
20. Matthew Lodge
21. Jesse Arthars

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Phil Henderson
Video referees: Steve Clark, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBroncos

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2020 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't understand Tapine on the bench, I'd be starting him every day of the week. Lui is already a bit light for a prop, as are our second rowers. Tapine's size would be helpful
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I'd support switching Taps and Lui for this game. I think Tapine likes longer minutes.

However, like last week, I think our bench looks like it could get on top of their second unit. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

worst timing to have Seibold out this week, they might have a crack.

having seen footage of Mark Nicholls charging over and scoring a try on tackle 1 from a set restart, I can see Raiders attempting a lot of crash balls on the 5th.. hopefully they put that effort in against Papalii,
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: August 11, 2020, 4:55 pm worst timing to have Seibold out this week, they might have a crack.
Thinking exactly the same
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I like that after under performing so much last week, and really all last month, we have really stuck it to the players by threatening them with no change ever unless forced by injury.

Our tactics for this week are to defend our line and stick to the fundamentals...

*End Sarcasm*

We should be MURDERING the Broncos, even with their new coach likely coming in this week. We should, even more so because of last week, be giving the players free reign, just go attacking nuts. Instead I can see us trying to "grind out a win" against a team which can't hold up against a light **** breeze.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BTW, Peter Gentle's last game as a coach for Hull was a 76-18 defeat to Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith's Stadium in the play-offs on September 18, 2013, a result which was comfortably the worst of the Aussie's time in charge and just a week later he was removed from his position
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... fc-3543256

Let's put on 76 this week to improve our for and against !
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders halfback George Williams tries to ignore the abuse on social media

It's the sad side to life as a professional rugby league player - the fact Canberra Raiders halfback George Williams feels he has to learn to live with the abuse on social media.

"Touch wood, I've been alright. But I know some of the boys do get a spray sometimes," Williams said on Tuesday. "You tend to get used to it. I've not had any death threats like what's been spoken about by certain players, I've never had it to that extent. I try to just block it out. That's life."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL to refer social media trolls directly to police as Ryan Papenhuyzen reveals death threats from fans: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/ryan-papen ... e18b5cfe21

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Broncos: Havili named; Te'o replaces Pangai: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34181

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/10/rai ... uld-start/
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Would be really nice to finally see a comprehensive win here where we can rack up a bit of a score for our confidence.

I just realised we haven't surpassed 24 points in a match yet this year.

As it stands I have legitimately forgotten what it feels like to put 30 on a team.
Up The Milk