Broncos 13+
6%

Total votes: 17

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: 2020 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews

Post by Neeeegz »

In the past when Whitehead played a few games at lock he looked great, that's the way I would go
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad needs a hand after carrying Canberra Raiders: Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has challenged his team to give Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad a hand after the fullback carried the Green Machine in the loss to Penrith.

"He had a massive game, he did that much work. More just he couldn't run with it so better getting him off," Stuart said. "We've got to get some others coming in and helping Charnze because he really carried us [Saturday] night and I need other people carrying us. I don't need our fullback carrying us."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders hopeful Siliva Havili fit for Brisbane Broncos

Phew! John Bateman has been cleared by the NRL match review committee, and hooker Siliva Havili (triceps) is also a chance of playing the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

"It's a strain and we are hoping with rehabilitation and physio he will be OK to play this week," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

John Bateman avoids charge for high shot: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1226313
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The other boys should be embarrassed by the effort he put in.
On the flip side he can't expect to be hammering himself like that and putting his best foot forward in attack.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW, Kurt Baptiste has joined the Raiders bubble on Sunday... and moved into the Rapana's... but will need to be brought up to fitness. So here's hoping Siliva is fit.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Guy can play 10mins either side of the half whether fit or not.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If we can't win this then give it up boys, you don't deserve to be there at the pointy end.

I don't see the Broncos bouncing back any time soon - they're an absolute mess and Seibold doesn't have a clue how to fix it. There won't be a better chance than this to get our stuttering attack firing, so hoping to see at least 30 points out of us.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

1. CNK
2. Cotric Left side
3. Scott Left Side
4. Croker Right side
5. Rapana Right side
6. Wighton, Room both sides. Just his presence will cause problems.
7. Williams, Play both sides of the ruck like cleary
8. Papa
9. Starling / Liva
10. Lui / Tapine
11. CHN Right side
12. Whitehead Left side
13. Bateman, He can and will get more ball playing in the middle.

14. Liva / Starling
15. Tapine / Lui
16. Sutton
17. Young

Scott played better on the left side at melbourne, Croker playing on the right where he did in the toyota cup ( yes long time ago ) but he can do it and it is something other teams do sometimes to mix it up. I know it wont happen but its what I would like to see.

CNK needs to be able to being the other back line players into the game more rather then doing it all himself and getting beaten up like he does. Cotric just needs someone to push him into the game more.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Still 7 rounds to go obviously but if the ladder was to stay as it is now, we would play Cronulla in the first week of the finals in 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Iv watched heaps of the ch9 Broncos, they are dreadful, we cannot lose to this team, it is simply unacceptable, the panthers loss is a kick up the bum, and a little wake up call. Raiders will be ready for this
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Crusader wrote: August 10, 2020, 12:34 am Iv watched heaps of the ch9 Broncos, they are dreadful, we cannot lose to this team, it is simply unacceptable, the panthers loss is a kick up the bum, and a little wake up call. Raiders will be ready for this
Yes but I think they will play better without Seibold and Boyd and others will have a point to prove without Seibold to get him sacked. But their online defence is a joke.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Find it hard to see how the donkeys get up for this game, the travel, winter in Canberra, down in confidence and simply don’t know how to win.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
15. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
17. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Ryan Sutton

8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
13. Hudson Young
14. Michael Oldfield

I think we will run out like this.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: August 10, 2020, 7:25 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
15. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
17. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Ryan Sutton

8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
13. Hudson Young
14. Michael Oldfield

I think we will run out like this.
Did you do a random number draw? :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

raider 86 wrote: August 9, 2020, 9:43 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric Left side
3. Scott Left Side
4. Croker Right side
5. Rapana Right side
8. Papa
9. Starling / Liva
10. Lui / Tapine
11. CHN Right side
12. Whitehead Left side

14. Liva / Starling
15. Tapine / Lui
16. Sutton
17. Young

Scott played better on the left side at melbourne, Croker playing on the right where he did in the toyota cup ( yes long time ago ) but he can do it and it is something other teams do sometimes to mix it up. I know it wont happen but its what I would like to see.

CNK needs to be able to being the other back line players into the game more rather then doing it all himself and getting beaten up like he does. Cotric just needs someone to push him into the game more.
Did you intentionally name the outside backs on the other side to normal?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

1stly, early forecast for Saturday is, 4-16 with 70% rain, and its 8-20mm, so much like the weekend just gone. Rain is always a leveler.

Bronx pack is their strength. They have no issues with go forward, and they can score points. Their issue is that they are leaky. Losing TPJ to Covid protocols is good for us overall I think. I dont think Glenn will be back, Oates is still out unfortunately, and I dont think Te'o has 80 in him, so they will be forced to manufacture an edge player this weekend. Ofa did it last wk and was poor.

If I was to guess, I think both teams will lineup a bit like this:

CNK 1. Boyd
Cotric 2. Kennar
Croker 3. Staggs
Scott 4. Farnsworth
Rapa 5. Coates
Jack 6. Croft
GWill 7. Dearden
Papa 8. Flegler
Starling 9. Turpin
Lui 10. Haas
Bateo 11. Difi
Whitey 12. Ofa/ Te'o
Young 13. Carrigan

*** 14. Luke
Tapine 15. Te'o/ Ofa
Sutton 16. Kennedy/Hoppa/Bullemore
CHN 17. Lodge

*** Baptiste - even if its just for 10mins either side of the half to spell Starling.
OR Frawley - left field 'pinch hitter' 9, did play some hooker as a Jr
OR HSS - Id use Rapa at 9 for the 15-20mins Starling was spelled, as he loves a scoot, but can actually pass quite well from the ruck, but not ideal at all
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Looking to get tickets, for the first time since the resumption. Does anybody know how much they cost?

I remember talk of $15 tickets quite some time ago for an earlier game, but Ticketek says $30-$40. The Raiders email does say it's heavily discounted for members, so I'm thinking the seats might get cheaper once you've put your code in?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sterlk wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:25 am Looking to get tickets, for the first time since the resumption. Does anybody know how much they cost?

I remember talk of $15 tickets quite some time ago for an earlier game, but Ticketek says $30-$40. The Raiders email does say it's heavily discounted for members, so I'm thinking the seats might get cheaper once you've put your code in?
I think I paid $15 to the Dragz game vs Ticketek. Ends up around $21-$22 with admin fees and whatever.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

Yes. Scott and cotric to attack down the left and croker and rapa down the right.
Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:07 am
2. Cotric Left side
3. Scott Left Side
4. Croker Right side
5. Rapana Right side
8. Papa
9. Starling / Liva
10. Lui / Tapine
11. CHN Right side
12. Whitehead Left side

14. Liva / Starling
15. Tapine / Lui
16. Sutton
17. Young

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

raider 86 wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:38 am Yes. Scott and cotric to attack down the left and croker and rapa down the right.
Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:07 am
2. Cotric Left side
3. Scott Left Side
4. Croker Right side
5. Rapana Right side
8. Papa
9. Starling / Liva
10. Lui / Tapine
11. CHN Right side
12. Whitehead Left side

14. Liva / Starling
15. Tapine / Lui
16. Sutton
17. Young

Why would you reverse them?
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Ilanraiders wrote: August 10, 2020, 6:14 am Find it hard to see how the donkeys get up for this game, the travel, winter in Canberra, down in confidence and simply don’t know how to win.
Not on Ch9 to boot. They must be inconsolable.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Matt wrote:1stly, early forecast for Saturday is, 4-16 with 70% rain, and its 8-20mm, so much like the weekend just gone. Rain is always a leveler.

Bronx pack is their strength. They have no issues with go forward, and they can score points. Their issue is that they are leaky. Losing TPJ to Covid protocols is good for us overall I think. I dont think Glenn will be back, Oates is still out unfortunately, and I dont think Te'o has 80 in him, so they will be forced to manufacture an edge player this weekend. Ofa did it last wk and was poor.

CNK 1. Boyd
Cotric 2. Kennar
Croker 3. Staggs
Scott 4. Farnsworth
Rapa 5. Coates
Jack 6. Croft
GWill 7. Dearden
Papa 8. Flegler
Starling 9. Turpin
Lui 10. Haas
Bateo 11. Difi
Whitey 12. Ofa/ Te'o
Young 13. Carrigan

*** 14. Luke
Tapine 15. Te'o/ Ofa
CHN 17. Lodge

*** Baptiste - even if its just for 10mins either side of the half to spell Starling.
OR HSS - Id use Rapa at 9 for the 15-20mins Starling was spelled, as he loves a scoot, but can actually pass quite well from the ruck, but not ideal at all
It will probably line up like this, but won’t solve our attacking problem. Is it time to bring CHN into a starting edge position?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:25 am 1stly, early forecast for Saturday is, 4-16 with 70% rain, and its 8-20mm, so much like the weekend just gone. Rain is always a leveler.

CNK 1. Boyd
Cotric 2. Kennar
Croker 3. Staggs
Scott 4. Farnsworth
Rapa 5. Coates
Jack 6. Croft
GWill 7. Dearden
Papa 8. Flegler
Starling 9. Turpin
Lui 10. Haas
Bateo 11. Difi
Whitey 12. Ofa/ Te'o
Young 13. Carrigan

*** 14. Luke
Tapine 15. Te'o/ Ofa
CHN 17. Lodge

Interesting point the Broncos pack it their strength. No doubt it is but by it's also proven to be a weakness. They seem to play hard then suddenly hit the wall. Let in some real soft tries on their line by not moving up. We love the crash ball and this is the one game we need to hammer them with it.

As for the last bench spot (assuming Havili out) I'd expect to see Oldfield there, but would prefer HSS. Starling has had plenty of minutes now and worth testing for 80.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:57 pm Havili wasn't the reason why we lost tonight. He had an OK game.

We need to get more out of our forwards. I didn't think Tapine made much impact when he came on or much run metres compared to Leota. I've been waiting and waiting for him to come good but just got that !@##$ from him in the Grand Final when he let in that Sam Verrills try turning his back. CHN didn't have much impact but it may take some time.
Easy to say in hindsight, but towards the end of the first half I was wondering what was going on with Stuart's use of the bench. I thought he persisted with our starting middles for too long and then had the bench guys on for an extended period. We seemed to tire much faster than they did. Starling should have come in earlier IMO.

I'm also not sure why Rapana was playing on the left, outside Croker and Cotric on the right outside Scott. The Centre/Wing combos just aren't working in attack or defence. Penrith's fourth try was a breakdown between Croker and Rapa and I just don't see Cotric being involved anywhere near as much with him on the right wing.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Geez those tickets go fast. Initially had a few in bay 22, right at the edge of the grandstand, thought they were a bit poor for grandstand tickets... so tried again and best available was in the bowl.

I wonder if there's any left, already.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Saturday night reminded me of the roosters game last year, got showed up first half, we were able to pull the second half back to something sort of respectable, and most of thenpeople sat on here telling us we not a top 4 side and our attack was bad and yadda yadda.

Lets see what we can do on the run home. We now know what we're truely up against, only just lost to melbourne, parra, and manly. the only top 8 side to put a decent game against us this year was penrith.
And so far we've beaten every top 8 side bar penrith and parra, and we havent played the sharks yet. So settle down and lets regroup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Green Taipan wrote: August 10, 2020, 12:40 pm
Ilanraiders wrote: August 10, 2020, 6:14 am Find it hard to see how the donkeys get up for this game, the travel, winter in Canberra, down in confidence and simply don’t know how to win.
Not on Ch9 to boot. They must be inconsolable.
And also not on their regular prime time slot - Friday nights
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Neeeegz wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:12 pm In the past when Whitehead played a few games at lock he looked great, that's the way I would go
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
Willing to give this a try for the next three games. Agree that's the best to fit all three of them in the starting side.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Elcaptcroker wrote: August 10, 2020, 2:28 pm Saturday night reminded me of the roosters game last year, got showed up first half, we were able to pull the second half back to something sort of respectable, and most of thenpeople sat on here telling us we not a top 4 side and our attack was bad and yadda yadda.

Lets see what we can do on the run home. We now know what we're truely up against, only just lost to melbourne, parra, and manly. the only top 8 side to put a decent game against us this year was penrith.
And so far we've beaten every top 8 side bar penrith and parra, and we havent played the sharks yet. So settle down and lets regroup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only difference was that we were in the top 4 most of last year, and this year all the top 4 sides are playing better than us. Parra has come down a bit but there's a gap now. We need to win every game from now on to make it which is possible and hope Rooster drop two games - to Melbourne and us. Difficult on Thurs when Storm w/o Smith and Munster.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 10, 2020, 1:55 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:57 pm Havili wasn't the reason why we lost tonight. He had an OK game.

We need to get more out of our forwards. I didn't think Tapine made much impact when he came on or much run metres compared to Leota. I've been waiting and waiting for him to come good but just got that !@##$ from him in the Grand Final when he let in that Sam Verrills try turning his back. CHN didn't have much impact but it may take some time.
Easy to say in hindsight, but towards the end of the first half I was wondering what was going on with Stuart's use of the bench. I thought he persisted with our starting middles for too long and then had the bench guys on for an extended period. We seemed to tire much faster than they did. Starling should have come in earlier IMO.

I'm also not sure why Rapana was playing on the left, outside Croker and Cotric on the right outside Scott. The Centre/Wing combos just aren't working in attack or defence. Penrith's fourth try was a breakdown between Croker and Rapa and I just don't see Cotric being involved anywhere near as much with him on the right wing.
You obviously seeing a different Tapine to me Hong Kong Raider. He has making a big impact off the bench.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2020, 12:58 pm
Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 10:25 am 1stly, early forecast for Saturday is, 4-16 with 70% rain, and its 8-20mm, so much like the weekend just gone. Rain is always a leveler.

CNK 1. Boyd
Cotric 2. Kennar
Croker 3. Staggs
Scott 4. Farnsworth
Rapa 5. Coates
Jack 6. Croft
GWill 7. Dearden
Papa 8. Flegler
Starling 9. Turpin
Lui 10. Haas
Bateo 11. Difi
Whitey 12. Ofa/ Te'o
Young 13. Carrigan

*** 14. Luke
Tapine 15. Te'o/ Ofa
CHN 17. Lodge

Interesting point the Broncos pack it their strength. No doubt it is but by it's also proven to be a weakness. They seem to play hard then suddenly hit the wall. Let in some real soft tries on their line by not moving up. We love the crash ball and this is the one game we need to hammer them with it.

As for the last bench spot (assuming Havili out) I'd expect to see Oldfield there, but would prefer HSS. Starling has had plenty of minutes now and worth testing for 80.
They hit a wall because they're **** at building pressure and controlling a game. Too much time defending. You can target Payne Haas in defense and wear him out. He's not the quickest lateral mover to begin with and their interchange strategy for him is poor. Lodge is also slow and doesn't stick tackles. He prefers to put on a hit or a bump off, opening things up for a second phase.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:20 pm

You obviously seeing a different Tapine to me Hong Kong Raider. He has making a big impact off the bench.
His game was below average against Penrith. According to Fox, only made 35 metres. I didn't recall any offloads but there were very few in the game. To be fair, I check the metres of other recent games and they were good - 99 against Cowboys, 169 v Souths, 142 v Roosters
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:53 pm
Matt wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:20 pm

His game was below average against Penrith. According to Fox, only made 35 metres. I didn't recall any offloads but there were very few in the game. To be fair, I check the metres of other recent games and they were good - 99 against Cowboys, 169 v Souths, 142 v Roosters
6 runs for 46m and 1 offload. Somewhat deceiving as he was on the field for the middle portion of the game when we hardly had the ball. That is reflected in his defensive stats. 36 tackles 0 missed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:16 pm
Neeeegz wrote: August 9, 2020, 6:12 pm In the past when Whitehead played a few games at lock he looked great, that's the way I would go
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
Willing to give this a try for the next three games. Agree that's the best to fit all three of them in the starting side.
Bateman was good when he played 13 last year too. I agree this approach is the best way to get CHN onto the field without weakening the team. Hudson Young is solid at 13 but has little impact.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 10, 2020, 3:16 pm
11 Corey
12 Bateman
13 Elliot
Bateman was good when he played 13 last year too. I agree this approach is the best way to get CHN onto the field without weakening the team. Hudson Young is solid at 13 but has little impact.
Yeah I agree. I actually like Bateman at 13. But Stuart is concerned about Scott’s defence so will be inclined to keep Bateman on the edge.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"It feels like I never left": Kurt Baptiste

Hooker Kurt Baptiste spent four seasons with the Green Machine, before being released at the start of 2018 - a victim of a salary cap squeeze.

But now the 29 year old Papua New Guinea representative is back in the nation's capital - and he says it feels like old times.

"The Gnome" was always a popular figure with the fans - as he never disappointed in his 56 matches with the club.

He was picked up as injury cover by the Roosters in 2018 - contributing to a premiership season in 11 games - and played with the Cowboys in 2019. This season, he was set to turn out in the black and gold jersey of the Easts Tigers in the Queensland Cup - before COVID intervened and the season was cancelled.

Now with Josh Hodgson sidelined for the rest of the 2020 season, he's been brought back to Canberra on a training deal to provide depth in the hooking ranks.

"I'm feeling good, it's good to be back," Baptiste said, on his first day of training.

"There are plenty of familiar faces around. It feels like I never left really. It's a bit easier coming into training, knowing a lot of the boys and knowing most of the coaching staff."

"I was pretty shocked when my manager called, I was pretty shocked to be honest."

"I'd sort of given up on getting anything this year, obviously, with everything that's gone on."

"I was probably looking forward next year to be playing somewhere, so I was really happy to get the call. It's good to be back."

"I've just got to train hard the next couple of weeks and get myself ready to play a game if I'm needed at any stage."

Baptiste was impressed with the Raiders' new centre of excellence at Braddon, which opened early this year.

"It's unreal. The facility is amazing, compared to what we had [at Bruce]. It wasn't too bad what we had, but this is just another level. It's great here."

Baptiste has moved in with Jordan Rapana and his wife for the next couple of months. Given his room doubles as Jordan's games room, he's a bit apprehensive about getting some shut-eye.

"I'm staying with Rapa at the moment. He's been kind enough to let me stay with him for a couple of months."

"It'll be interesting. He's got his games room in my room, so I might not get much sleep. But I'm lucky enough to stay there, with him and his wife so its really good."

Baptiste is hoping he'll see some game time, but recognises that substitute hooking duo, Siliva Havili and Tom Starling have been playing well since Hodgson's injury. He also knows he'll take some time to get himself ready for an NRL match.

Siliva Havili suffered a triceps strain on Saturday night in the clash with the Panthers - and the Raiders hope he'll be fit for next weekend's match up with the Broncos at Canberra Stadium.

But that injury underlines how important Baptiste's recruitment has been.

"Hopefully at some stage, I'm hoping to get a game. The guys that are there at the moment are doing a really good job, so I'm just going to be working hard at training, trying to get myself ready to play if I'm needed."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Baptiste: It feels like I never left: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... ever-left/

Raiders licensed clubs back open: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... back-open/