Concerns NRL bubble might not burst until 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Concerns NRL bubble might not burst until 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Concerns NRL bubble might continue beyond 2020 season, Canberra Stadium crowds to stay at 1500 for at least two more weeks

There's growing concerns the NRL bubble could continue beyond the 2020 season as the second wave of the coronavirus continues to reshape Australia. The ACT government announced on Thursday they will keep the 1500 crowd limit for Canberra Raiders games at Canberra Stadium for at least another two weeks, which will continue to cost the Green Machine up to $400,000 per home game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Concerns NRL bubble might not burst until 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

They're going to need to keep their bubbles while the Queensland premier keeps opening and closing borders, otherwise the Queensland teams will have to relocate to NSW/ACT
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 6, 2020, 6:22 pm They're going to need to keep their bubbles while the Queensland premier keeps opening and closing borders, otherwise the Queensland teams will have to relocate to NSW/ACT
Don Furner said in the article he's expecting that... might allow them out of the bubble during their eight week break... but then have to go back for start of 2021. That might be the best case scenario, given the potential for NSW to get worse.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That is very hard for the teams and even more so for the families they live with

I'm happy to fence off Victoria and get our lives back by then!
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 6, 2020, 6:22 pm They're going to need to keep their bubbles while the Queensland premier keeps opening and closing borders, otherwise the Queensland teams will have to relocate to NSW/ACT
Except that only applies when the games are being played. Once the season finishes, there are no games, therefore no need to have an exemption to the border rules.

Obviously the players will have to comply with the laws of the land like us all but I see no reason why there would be additional restrictions for the players in the off season.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2020, 6:35 pm
Don Furner said in the article he's expecting that... might allow them out of the bubble during their eight week break... but then have to go back for start of 2021. That might be the best case scenario, given the potential for NSW to get worse.
Or the potential for NSW to get better.

Glass half full.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah NSW has done an amazing job so far under the circumstances.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Azza wrote: August 6, 2020, 9:45 pm Yeah NSW has done an amazing job so far under the circumstances.
Yeah they have kept things largely under control. Of course it could get worse, but it seems they are doing very well tracing every case at the moment.

I don’t think the community will accept restrictions for the whole summer, let alone the additional NRL ones.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

NSW have done a great job. I suspect that the latest border closures have a political flavour to them. But the bubble will need to be maintained while games are being played. The Queensland premier seems to startle easily and could reclose them again at the drop of a hat.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2020, 5:30 am I suspect that the latest border closures have a political flavour to them.
Don’t think there is any doubt about that. In a crisis xenophobia reigns and now we seem to be even doing it between Australian states. In some cases there are some good reasons but we would want to stamp it out as soon as this thing ends.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Bay53 wrote: August 6, 2020, 9:53 pm
Azza wrote: August 6, 2020, 9:45 pm Yeah NSW has done an amazing job so far under the circumstances.
Yeah they have kept things largely under control. Of course it could get worse, but it seems they are doing very well tracing every case at the moment.

I don’t think the community will accept restrictions for the whole summer, let alone the additional NRL ones.
I think there's a case for stricter lock down measures till this latest outbreak gets under control. There are idiots in the community who could potentially ruin it for everyone.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think COVID19 has been a lot of fun, but it's just about time to stop it now.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote: August 7, 2020, 10:01 am I think COVID19 has been a lot of fun, but it's just about time to stop it now.
I disagree it's been fun. Other than watching our resident expert Nickman continue to make a clown of himself.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: August 7, 2020, 9:25 am
Bay53 wrote: August 6, 2020, 9:53 pm

I think there's a case for stricter lock down measures till this latest outbreak gets under control. There are idiots in the community who could potentially ruin it for everyone.
This is looking like the biggest problem with strict lockdowns. While the vast majority comply there's a small section who feel obliged to try and circumvent the restrictions. Almost take it on as a challenge. Just about every outbreak can be traced back to somebody not following protocols.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’d love Docs opinion on this, but I can’t really see NSW getting under 10 odd cases?? Looking at the flu for example, even with a readily available vaccine it still exists within community, just at a manageable level. Given the percentage of our daily cases that are returning residents going into 14 day quarantine, I think the current level being ‘consistent’ is realistic and manageable??

And I think a large part of Vic getting out of control so quickly was the lack of perceived threat there... they hadn’t seen an example of a second wave spike, whereas NSW and Qld have now all seen how quickly it can turn to crap, and are taking distancing measures, testing and restrictions far more seriously having seen the vic example.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bay53 wrote:Don’t think there is any doubt about that. In a crisis xenophobia reigns and now we seem to be even doing it between Australian states. In some cases there are some good reasons but we would want to stamp it out as soon as this thing ends.
I love this point. Cohesion was lost when the threat appeared to be over and restrictions started easing. Anastasia Palaszczuk in particular has been using divisive language, aimed at appealing to parochial members of her state heading into an election. It's not helpful and not what is needed now.

Coastalraider wrote:I’d love Docs opinion on this, but I can’t really see NSW getting under 10 odd cases?? Looking at the flu for example, even with a readily available vaccine it still exists within community, just at a manageable level. Given the percentage of our daily cases that are returning residents going into 14 day quarantine, I think the current level being ‘consistent’ is realistic and manageable??
We badly need some leadership at a National level.

A few months ago it was announced that the strategy was controlled suppression. That would inevitably mean clusters popping up and being snuffed out. That's where Sydney is at the moment. Sydney is the new normal. If that remains our strategy then other states need to open their border and we get on with life. We can not live the next few years with closed state borders.

If after what has happened in Melbourne has spooked people, and we would now like to go for elimination of community transmission, we need our leaders to come together and decide upon that, because at the moment it's every state for itself. There needs to be decisions made on how that will be achieved in states that currently have community transmission (Vic, NSW, SA and QLD). The goal, benefits of the goal and method to achieving the goal need to be clearly communicated to the community to get buy in.

I'd consider myself relatively informed on this but I am confused about what our aim is. Victoria at the moment are undoubtedly hoping for some control, and will make the rest up later. NSW seem content to currently just track, trace, isolate, and while doing an excellent job, tightening the screws on restrictions a bit might snuff it out completely. Queensland have just closed its borders to a covid free jurisdiction, and a state of 7.5 million who are getting 12 cases a day of Covid, most in quarantine. WA haven't opened their borders since March to anyone.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great points Doc. I guess what I was getting at is I see NSW as the new normal based on the suppression model, at least until a vaccine is available. If that is our plan, we need to continue on with life.

But your point on variations of approach state by state is spot on... ive has issues this week which have stopped me from travelling to NT for work despite having weekly covid checks. This was due to NT claiming sections of SE Qld as hotspots, which was rescinded yesterday. Where I live on the central Coast was never a hotspot for NT, their border stopped at the Hawkesbury, but it was a hotspot for Qld as their border stopped at Lake Macquarie (even though the CC has had no second stage cases, and Newcastle has...)

It’s really disjointed.

I guess the positive for football is that they are (mostly) in their bubble, and exempt for e constantly changing restrictions around border crossings.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Completely agree with your first paragraph. There is a vacuum of leadership at the Federal level at the moment. When was the last full National Cabinet, and when is the next one? We really need our PM to stand up and say this is what we are doing... Vic you need to do this, nsw you need to do this, QLD you need to do this... And then let the public know.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, there were some messed up scenes at the NSW/VIC border yesterday when the NSW government suddenly decided ACT residents weren't allowed to drive across the border to return home and instead had to transit through Sydney Airport like Sydney residents had to, but not NSW country residents.

Not quite sure who the hell made that decision without notice, but it was pretty messed up.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You wonder how the people making decisions like that came to their position. That’s just so obviously stupid.