Kurt Baptiste returns to Canberra Raiders on training contract

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra has signed former dummy half Kurt Baptiste on a training contract for the rest of the season. Baptiste, who had three seasons at the Raiders between 2014 and 2017, will arrive later on Monday and should be training with the squad by the end of the week after going through the COVID-19 protocols.

It is understood Baptiste’s training contract is only worth $1000-a-week – and that’s before tax. Canberra recruitment boss Peter Mulholland said Baptiste would only be available to play NRL if there was an injury to either Siliva Havili and young Tom Starling, who remain Ricky Stuart’s one-two combination for dummy half.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ca6d174e12
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Kurt Baptiste returns to Canberra Raiders on training contract

Post by T_R »

I hope this doesn't mean someone else is injured!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Weird signing.

Halfback cover?

Havili out of favour?

Not much that Baptiste does that Starling doesn't do as only a 22 year old...

I guess just due diligence in case one of the aforementioned has bad luck with injury. But it kind of suggests longer term implications.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

T_R wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:49 pm I hope this doesn't mean someone else is injured!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
My guess would be cover for any injury at hooker. I don't know who we have coming through if one of our current combination goes down.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We also need to add an outside back if possible. Sounds like the NRL only adds good players to Roosters and Storm.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think that’s just acknowledging that the club are in a premiership window and we’re not taking any chances of not being competitive due to injuries.

How well run is the club at the moment to be able to keep pulling rabbits of the quality of Baptiste out of the hat? Speaks a lot to the culture that players of that caliber come back to take a role like this!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'd say he will get a run over Sam Williams for whatever reason...
I think it's a good squad signing and some insurance against injury..
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

BJ wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:58 pm We also need to add an outside back if possible. Sounds like the NRL only adds good players to Roosters and Storm.
No, we don't, we will have Oldfield and Harley ready to go, there is no need yet to rush a back signing..
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Havili isn't an 80 minute hooker - although he's an excellent option in the 17.

This is very smart planning.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:57 pm Weird signing.

Halfback cover?

Havili out of favour?

I guess just due diligence in case one of the aforementioned has bad luck with injury. But it kind of suggests longer term implications.
Starling might want to leave for other opporunities he wont get behind Hodgson and Havilii
This is nothing more than a smart emergency option in case we cop an injury at hooker, they know neither of our current guys are set up for 80 minutes of footy...
Bap gives us redundancy
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

We are living in bizzare-o world right now... Worth a punt if he's on minimum wage. If he hits his straps we could have him and Starling playing in tandem with Havilli as a spare middle.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This caught me off-guard but I like it. Simply cannot get a hooker of Baptiste's quality for that kind of money. Club is killing it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenGuy wrote:We are living in bizzare-o world right now... Worth a punt if he's on minimum wage. If he hits his straps we could have him and Starling playing in tandem with Havilli as a spare middle.
This is a good point. He acts as a back up prop as well if there were further front row injuries by freeing up Havili.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Where has KB been the last couple of years? I used to love him as a bench hooker.

His career highlight was when Joey johns said he looks like a barista.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great pickup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

casta66 wrote: August 3, 2020, 9:04 pm Where has KB been the last couple of years? I used to love him as a bench hooker.

His career highlight was when Joey johns said he looks like a barista.
He was with Easts Tigers this year, but the season didn't happen.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

GreenGuy wrote: August 3, 2020, 8:28 pm We are living in bizzare-o world right now... Worth a punt if he's on minimum wage. If he hits his straps we could have him and Starling playing in tandem with Havilli as a spare middle.
If he's on 52k that's significantly less than minimum wage.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's being paid 1000 a week for the rest of the contract. Not for the year.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Legit thought about this today and what we'd do if we copped an injury to Havili or Starling. Would've thought that we'd have to resort to Sam playing there, which would be less than ideal given he's never done it and the large increase in defensive workload.

Good move, will help to keep the two current guys on their toes and as mentioned gives us the option to play Havili solely as a middle if we're real desperate.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

He also knows the club, club knows home and he brings a lot of experience and guidance to the guys playing the utility role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Good signing given today's the last day to register contracts. Starling and Havilii are going well but we want cover and are not taking any chances. Minimal cost. The club recognises we are at a premiership window and we are fighting hard despite Hodgson's injury.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

zim wrote: August 3, 2020, 10:05 pm He's being paid 1000 a week for the rest of the contract. Not for the year.
As in like 10k? Surely that's not enough. Only marginally in front of people earning job keeper!

While i hope we don't see him play for us this year, its good to know hes there as it provides us with some insurance
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The contract period is longer than that. I don't know when it ends exactly. The perks are a touch better than job keeper.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I googled Kurt and was surprised that he is only 29. Good pick up to have an NRL proven player as insurance in such a key position. He will know the set up in Canberra so his adjustment to a different environment shouldn't be too harsh. Also he is well known to the senior players so he should settle in well. He and Starling are of similar stature so there will be some experience sharing going on. Peter Mulholland is worth his weight in recruitment gold.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

He’s not on a playing contract, he’s on a training contract. If one of our current hookers goes down, his contract and wage would require upgrade in order for him to actually play.

This is a great play by the club.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Given what happened to the knights the other week losing 2 hookers to season ending injuries in one game this is a very smart move.

Hopefully we don’t need him but a quality player to have available to come in if required.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

pickles wrote: August 4, 2020, 6:31 am Given what happened to the knights the other week losing 2 hookers to season ending injuries in one game this is a very smart move.

Hopefully we don’t need him but a quality player to have available to come in if required.
Exactly right. Knights have lost 3 hookers this season. Roosters also lost 2 in one game (Verrils and Radley). We've got one down already and if something happened to Starling we'd be in a spot of bother. Baptiste is an excellent insurance policy. Not part of the squad but is ready to slot in if required.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Zero downside to this.
Good pick up.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

zim wrote: August 4, 2020, 12:13 am The contract period is longer than that. I don't know when it ends exactly. The perks are a touch better than job keeper.
NRL contracts typically run from 1st Nov to 31st Oct.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kurt Baptiste to return to Canberra Raiders

Kurt Baptiste will join the Raiders on a short-term contract for the remainder of the 2020 season.

“Kurt is a talented hooker who has a proven record with the club and can provide our squad with experience and depth in a key position,” Peter Mulholland said. “We’re really happy to have him back at the club for the remainder of the year and we’re looking forward to him joining the squad as soon as he can.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... o-raiders/

Kurt Baptiste returns to Canberra Raiders on short-term deal

The Green Machine has turned to Kurt Baptiste to bolster their decimated stocks again, signing the former Raider on a short-term deal. Bapiste returns to Canberra for the remainder of the 2020 season and will join the squad once he's cleared the stringent Project Apollo protocols.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1215108
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

hrundi89 wrote: August 4, 2020, 9:57 am
zim wrote: August 4, 2020, 12:13 am The contract period is longer than that. I don't know when it ends exactly. The perks are a touch better than job keeper.
NRL contracts typically run from 1st Nov to 31st Oct.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Botman wrote: August 3, 2020, 8:27 pm
BadnMean wrote: August 3, 2020, 7:57 pm Weird signing.

Halfback cover?

Havili out of favour?

Starling might want to leave for other opporunities he wont get behind Hodgson and Havilii
This is nothing more than a smart emergency option in case we cop an injury at hooker, they know neither of our current guys are set up for 80 minutes of footy...
Bap gives us redundancy
I can see one of those two leaving, but I have to say I'd prefer it be Havilli.

From what I've seen so far, Starling could develop into a very, very good starting #9.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: August 4, 2020, 10:22 am I can see one of those two leaving, but I have to say I'd prefer it be Havilli.

From what I've seen so far, Starling could develop into a very, very good starting #9.
I think there is room for both. As others have mentioned, Havilii can play a pure impact middle. So whilst it would be a small bench, you could have Hodgson, Starling and Havilii in the same 17.

And noting that Hodgson going to be 32 next year, coming off a knee reco... i mean there is not a lot of Cam Smith's in the world. I think we've probably got 12-24 months left of Hodgson at most.
So if we can convince Starling to stay, he could be groomed as the long term Hodgson replacement, and you can sell both of them as having a place at the club and potentially in the 17... but also if the Bulldogs want to stick a good chunk of money under Starlings nose and tell him he's their 80 minute hooker next year, i dont think we can match that sort of opportunity
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Anyone want to dig up that thread from 2017 (?) that said we looked better with Baptiste on the field rather than Hodgson... welcome back Kurt the Baptist!!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Great move in planning for post hodgo.
No guarantees that he starts next season either..