Re: 2020 Rd 13 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by afgtnk »

Not one mention of our attack and its problems by Rick. He's in denial
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

How is kikau v bateman even a match up.. 20kg bigger. Should be paps there. We'll be lucky to finish 6th. Most likely we play souths or sharks w1 and lose.. UNLESS COTRIC TO CENTRE
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I wouldn't say no to Crawley coming back. Make it happen Donny
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Neeeegz wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:01 pm
Johno wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:59 pm 2 or 3 of you guys on here should have a good look at yourselves, more like Raiders haters than Raiders fans, taking apart CNK and Croker at any opportunity, same with Sezer last year... pathetic with your banal comments.
In case you missed it, our team just got flogged... this is a place we can vent our frustration. If you don't like it... **** OFF. Cheers
Amen. That **** adds absolutely nothing to this forum apart from taking shots at people.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

SimplyThePest wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:44 pm Can’t help but think things would have been different if we’d made that early ball count with points on the board. Instead, they march upfield and score straight away, putting us on the back foot for the rest of the half and leaving us with no chance of getting back into the game. Our attack is just so bad and doesn’t look like getting better any time soon. Our tries were classic current Raiders tries; weird, one-off moments of effort/luck from nowhere. We’re also-rans for as long as that’s our primary means of scoring points.
Yeah, early points would have been helpful, but being able to maintain pressure is what we desperately need. Penrith haven't cracked early all season. You need to keep at them for 80.

All in all we got bent over between the 10 and 40 minute mark. Other than that we went OK and were a bit unlucky with the Papa and Williams no-trys.

Kikau showed how far Bateman is still off the pace at this stage too.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

afgtnk wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:02 pm Not one mention of our attack and its problems by Rick. He's in denial
He's frustrating as a coach. He has the man management skills that allows him to get players to bleed for him, but seemingly lacks the wherewithal to give them a game plan that will challenge the top 2 or 3 sides. As I've said before, it's baffling as he was such an expansive and imaginative player.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Is it just me or are the panthers being too pumped up. That first half score wont happen again against us. We played hard and dominated second half..

Stuart isnt wrong about our first half defence. He isnt exactly going to talk deeply about our attacking issues in a press conference.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:49 pm Thought I’d be more annoyed with this loss. Been a tough month and we’ve had 3 solid wins.
Panthers were very very good in the first half and I honestly Think the rain didn’t help our style of footy.
Easier run in the next couple of weeks, need to win them all if any chance of a top 4 finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the Roosters' superior for and against (and same with all of the other top 4 teams - over 100), we will need to win all our games now for a top 4 chance. We are not contenders if we drop games to the likes of Roosters and Cronulla
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

amiafish wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:35 pm Panthers have a bad habit of coasting when they get on top. They aren't clinical like Roosters or Storm who don't relent when they have you on the ropes.
Our entire game-plan seems to be to "coast", unless and until we get three tries behind, in which case we have licence to actually play football. We cannot win finals footy playing this dour and lifeless brand of Rugby League.
Couldn’t have said it better.
Instead of attempting to have a go in attack from the start, we wait until it’s desperate times.
Anyway, we’re off the pace this year. Can’t be bothered getting upset to be honest.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Credit to Penrith for playing their best 40 of the year against us.

To be fair, they played near their capabilities. We were not even close to ours. The question is whether we can get there this year? We haven't been close all season.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Got to say to very disappointed with the both the outcome and structures in the game. There needs to be a point where you move away from the “grind” and at least give yourself some sort of chance of winning. As an example down by 20 with 24 to go. The mind set is kick long and get in the grind. I believe the mindset need to be throw options and kick short. We just didn’t throw enough at them. Which seems to be significant a mindset we are just aren’t going to score enough tho year to win against the top teams.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:05 pm
Johno wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:59 pm 2 or 3 of you guys on here should have a good look at yourselves, more like Raiders haters than Raiders fans, taking apart CNK and Croker at any opportunity, same with Sezer last year... pathetic with your banal comments.
In case you missed it, our team just got flogged... this is a place we can vent our frustration. If you don't like it... **** OFF. Cheers
Amen. That **** adds absolutely nothing to this forum apart from taking shots at people.
Taking shots at people...you are the dead set king of the cheap shots, did it all last year at EVERY game on Sezer..your boring and have already chosen this years target.

Its one thing venting and another taking every opportunity to bag a player....not once do I see you give credit....like last year v the Sharks I think it was... Sezer mom and you couldnt give him a point ...lol...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:05 pm
SimplyThePest wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:44 pm Can’t help but think things would have been different if we’d made that early ball count with points on the board. Instead, they march upfield and score straight away, putting us on the back foot for the rest of the half and leaving us with no chance of getting back into the game. Our attack is just so bad and doesn’t look like getting better any time soon. Our tries were classic current Raiders tries; weird, one-off moments of effort/luck from nowhere. We’re also-rans for as long as that’s our primary means of scoring points.
Yeah, early points would have been helpful, but being able to maintain pressure is what we desperately need. Penrith haven't cracked early all season. You need to keep at them for 80.

All in all we got bent over between the 10 and 40 minute mark. Other than that we went OK and were a bit unlucky with the Papa and Williams no-trys.

Kikau showed how far Bateman is still off the pace at this stage too.
I think this hits the nail on the head. We just needed to defend better after 10 mins when they had the ball, also not let in that try before half time would have helped the cause. I actually would have taken the 2 points with the Naden high tackle on Croker - just keep it tight and not try to go blow by blow
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:11 pm Credit to Penrith for playing their best 40 of the year against us.

To be fair, they played near their capabilities. We were not even close to ours. The question is whether we can get there this year? We haven't been close all season.
Yep, Panthers were red hot in that first half and we were ordinary. Situations like this are going to happen in football. We have to lift, no question. We have the scope to do it and plenty of season left still.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I'm worried about next weeks' game as Seibold won't be there, they don't play for him, Darius Boyd quitting leadership group - so they will aim up without Seibold next week. It will be close
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

We just got our pants pulled in the first half, head home boys, just go back to the drawing board, we got a bit of a soft draw leading up to the Roosters, hopefully we build some confidence by that time, but lets take it one game at a time, and for the love of God I hope they dont take these next games lightly, they are must wins, not only to remain in the 8 but we simply cant lose to the struggling teams, it will hurt, Panthers are the real deal, they will be playing Prelims this year.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Johno wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:12 pm
afgtnk wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:05 pm
Taking shots at people...you are the dead set king of the cheap shots, did it all last year at EVERY game on Sezer..your boring and have already chosen this years target.

Its one thing venting and another taking every opportunity to bag a player....not once do I see you give credit....like last year v the Sharks I think it was... Sezer mom and you couldnt give him a point ...lol...
Taking shots at other posters, you petty little pillock. That's your only trick - go play elsewhere.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

All I can say is thanks Azza :roflmao
Last edited by Thomas Raider on August 8, 2020, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kona_dream wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:11 pm Got to say to very disappointed with the both the outcome and structures in the game. There needs to be a point where you move away from the “grind” and at least give yourself some sort of chance of winning. As an example down by 20 with 24 to go. The mind set is kick long and get in the grind. I believe the mindset need to be throw options and kick short. We just didn’t throw enough at them. Which seems to be significant a mindset we are just aren’t going to score enough tho year to win against the top teams.
Grind is OK if you don't give away 24 point starts. You have to do it both sides of the ball for 80 mins. When you don't you're shovelling **** up hill trying to beat the top teams.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

According to Fox, Lui was our only forward to run over 100m.

That tells me that Whitehead, Tapine, Hudson Young and Bateman didn’t run hard and straight enough.

I like Starling and what he brings but his organising from dummy half needs further development.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:I wouldn't say no to Crawley coming back. Make it happen Donny
Agreed. Is he still at the Dragons?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Couldn't comment during game but here goes,when we didn't score with all the ball in first 7 minutes I knew it was all over!! When Papa was held up why wasn't it 6 again? Koroisau was offside. Why did it take so long to put Starling and CHN on? Why always going to the left side? Not much was happening on the right for some reason.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I suspect we arrived at Penrith ready to play the grind in slippery conditions.

We unexpectedly received tonnes of early ball (looking as clueless as ever in attack) lost the plot when we couldn’t points on and conceded 24 points.

Game over. Grind is pointless when your that far behind.

At some point next year (yes I’m writing this year off) we need to figure out how to become a more balanced side. Maybe it happens naturally this year if we play Starling for 80. I don’t know.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We were given a lesson in tactics and preparation this week. Full marks to the Panthers. In the first half I was surprised to see Papa passing so much before the line. If he is hurt then I would have started with Sutton. We needed our main forward meter eater to go forward and he was passing?? As a tactic it was not good. I don't know that Havili had a dummy half run in the first half either. Very predictable and looked like he was following a very basic game plan. He had one run in the second half just before he went off injured. We weren't hitting in numbers and driving them back very often in the first half either. It has to be what we do in early tackles in each set. Without it we give too much time to the opposition. CNKs first game back saw him unsteady under the high ball but he ran very well and deserved his two tries. Slippery conditions help but he was going for it and good luck to him.

The Panthers put a lot of play at Bateman. Their first try looked a set move to target JB and it came up trumps via the angled Kikau run. Their kicking game in the conditions was mainly to Rapa with his nervous hands and CNK in his first game back. Rarely did Cotric get a kick to him on the full where he had tackle breaking opportunity. It was smart by Penrith.

I know there have been a lot of rule changes but I think Tamou got away with a bit by standing beside the play the ball when Penrith were in attack to shield against Raider defenders going for Cleary on kicks. This was previously not allowed but in the first half I watched him do this a few times as Cleary was on the right and Tamou stood to the right of the play the ball.

Bronco's next week and we will need to improve particularly with those early gang tackles.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

BJ wrote:According to Fox, Lui was our only forward to run over 100m.

That tells me that Whitehead, Tapine, Hudson Young and Bateman didn’t run hard and straight enough.

I like Starling and what he brings but his organising from dummy half needs further development.
He seemed unable or unwilling to pass the ball right tonight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

GreenMachine wrote:I suspect we arrived at Penrith ready to play the grind in slippery conditions.

We unexpectedly received tonnes of early ball (looking as clueless as ever in attack) lost the plot when we couldn’t points on and conceded 24 points.

At some point next year (yes I’m writing this year off) we need to figure out how to become a more balanced side. Maybe it happens naturally this year if we play Starling for 80. I don’t know.
I can’t see Starling naturally making us a more balanced side. We saw his lack of organising when he was on tonight.

He’s definitely a great scooter out of dummy half, but he doesn’t lookup and read which way to direct the attack.

He needs to keep developing his heads up football from dummy half and learning how read the defenders positioning. That’s obviously an area where Cam Smith is king and one for Starling to further improve on over time.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:24 pm According to Fox, Lui was our only forward to run over 100m.

According to the NRL app Lui 122, Papa 113. CNK, Rapana and Wighton over 100m too but obviously not forwards.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I feel we’re back on the downward spiral, it’s sucks that is how I feel after tonight but I think it’s a Raiders fan thing.

I’m so disheartened after tonight.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

GreenMachine wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:35 pm Panthers have a bad habit of coasting when they get on top. They aren't clinical like Roosters or Storm who don't relent when they have you on the ropes.
Our entire game-plan seems to be to "coast", unless and until we get three tries behind, in which case we have licence to actually play football. We cannot win finals footy playing this dour and lifeless brand of Rugby League.
Instead of attempting to have a go in attack from the start, we wait until it’s desperate times.
Anyway, we’re off the pace this year. Can’t be bothered getting upset to be honest.
We literally started the game with a 40/20 and a couple of repeat sets.

That's having a go for mine. It just unravelled after that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

raiderskater wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:50 pm
GreenMachine wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:10 pm
We literally started the game with a 40/20 and a couple of repeat sets.

That's having a go for mine. It just unravelled after that.
Your missing the point.
All that early possession and nothing to show for it.
It seemed like we surprised ourselves with that start ( expecting to play a grinding game) and didn’t know what to do with the good field position in attack.
It’s as if we rigidly insist on grinding ignoring the chance to go or the throat immediately given despite the game being barely a minute old.
We’ve seen our instincts blunted with unnecessary insistence on grinding every game.
When was the last time we dominated a team and racked up a score? I genuinely can’t remember.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I'm Bate Man wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:48 pm I feel we’re back on the downward spiral, it’s sucks that is how I feel after tonight but I think it’s a Raiders fan thing.

I’m so disheartened after tonight. Image
You realise we lost one game - to the current best side in the comp.

Long way to go yet.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: August 8, 2020, 10:42 pm
GreenMachine wrote:I suspect we arrived at Penrith ready to play the grind in slippery conditions.

I can’t see Starling naturally making us a more balanced side. We saw his lack of organising when he was on tonight.

He’s definitely a great scooter out of dummy half, but he doesn’t lookup and read which way to direct the attack.

He needs to keep developing his heads up football from dummy half and learning how read the defenders positioning. That’s obviously an area where Cam Smith is king and one for Starling to further improve on over time.
Yeah your probably right.
I’m at a loss really...I’d like to see something change.
Agree he is far from the finished article, but he seems like something different to work with from the ruck.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Any decent hookers we can sign from England?

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Rick wrote: August 8, 2020, 11:09 pm Any decent hookers we can sign from England?

Daryl Clark and Paul McShane.

McShane is a schemer, like Hodgson, but would be considered a better player over here, I think (Hodgson's NRL performances haven't really made it back here, where he's considered fairly average).

Clark is a tremendous player and I'm looking forward to seeing how he manages the new rules.

I expect him to do well with it - he's perfectly placed - and it should move him into the very top echelon.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So that was a **** disaster... Just what I want to sit down to on delay after working 14 hours! Would have been nice if they team felt like putting in more than one half of footy!

Just garbage attack AGAIN. Does anyone know why we are trying to suddenly turn Papalii into a 5/8? Just FYI Stuart, we have a 5/8, we don't need a slower one. We seemed to WANT to win, we just had no **** idea how to do that... Our use of the bench was yet again nuts! Havili looked DEAD in the tail end of that first half, what exactly were we saving Starling for?!?!?!

Our attack looked better when we just got silly and desperate at the end there, at least we were trying something!

Can Stuart PLEASE stop over coaching our attack and just let some of the guys out there play off the cuff a bit?

Also I'll say again, big NO to Papalii trying to be a 5/8. If you want more ball movement in the middle of the field tell Williams or Wighton to go to first receiver more often. Better yet, they don't have to be **** super glued to their sides of the field!!!

Then that presser... Stuart has lost his mind again!