Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders look to open contract talks with Jordan Rapana

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

bonehead wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:42 am
Lui_Bon wrote:
RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2020, 9:32 pm Agree Ruben, Rapa gives his all and is a big unit who runs good yardage every match. I reckon he is the Raiders best ever right winger. He also can play fullback but I'd prefer he is allowed to concentrate on the right wing position.

I also see Oldy as mostly a winger. With Cotric leaving I reckon he would not let us down. Sure we have Valemi and Simmonson to go with Rapa but Oldy brings pace and experience. I see HSS as a center. We have some depth.
Ken Nagas? Sean Hoppe? It's an argument I guess...
Kenny and Noa switched a fair bit back then, Vanikolo had the opportunity too I'll always be devastated he left us so soon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Ken Nagas was a left winger with that right foot step and serve of his (Exhibit A: 1994 Grand Final), though they did switch a bit. Noa Nadruku is probably the best right winger I've seen play at the club.

I like HSS and Semi, with Oldy as a back up. Hope we sign Rapa as well. Although he has lost pace he still makes so many metres and brings energy
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

End of last season I thought he was done.
Now we would be nuts to let him go...sign him up.
Plays with so much heart.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

benda wrote: August 3, 2020, 10:34 pm I've been calling for Rapana to have a go at fullback for years. I like the idea of him spending more time there.

He is a great clubman and will most likely be happy playing wherever required.

A must sign in my opinion. He 2 or 3 solid years in him.
I've always thought he'd go well there and he did enough... but jees there was balls hitting the ground everywhere, fumbles everywhere... he was the heart attack kid back there. Made me re-appreciate just how good a defensive FB Charnze is.

And yes, he also brought the palm offs, tackle breaks, grubbers, offloads, yards and all the rest. But he's a roller coaster back there.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BadnMean wrote: August 4, 2020, 10:04 am
benda wrote: August 3, 2020, 10:34 pm I've been calling for Rapana to have a go at fullback for years. I like the idea of him spending more time there.

He is a great clubman and will most likely be happy playing wherever required.

A must sign in my opinion. He 2 or 3 solid years in him.
I've always thought he'd go well there and he did enough... but jees there was balls hitting the ground everywhere, fumbles everywhere... he was the heart attack kid back there. Made me re-appreciate just how good a defensive FB Charnze is.

And yes, he also brought the palm offs, tackle breaks, grubbers, offloads, yards and all the rest. But he's a roller coaster back there.
I think with time a lot of that will go away. The more time he spends in the middle the better. The good thing is being on the wing doesnt hold him back from involving himself.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

He likes being here, maybe even more so after his Japanese sojourn.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Get it done. 2 years minimum. He's such a huge part of the Raiders. I was devastated with his leaving last year.

GET IT DONE.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I just love the way he rips in. Reminds me of Mal, Rubes and Noa with the aggression he hits the line with. Other than BJ I can't remember us having too many other backs that used their physicality so effectively since the mid90s.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think the break helped him to recover his knee a little more. It was around this time last year he returned from a PCL injury. I'm no doctor, but it seemed to knock him around a fair bit.

It looks like he's just about to turn 31, but because he's now relying on his power rather than pace, I reckon he's got a year or two left in him. With Cotric gone, we really need him at the back.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

The way he sings the team song... especially the last game against the broncos tells me he aint going to play for anyone else.

Absolutley love the guy.
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Sign him up and offer him a 15 year, 15 mil contract. Takes him to 45yrs old then we renegotiate for another 5 years.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Green Hornet wrote: August 18, 2020, 1:10 pm Sign him up and offer him a 15 year, 15 mil contract. Takes him to 45yrs old then we renegotiate for another 5 years.
Then we can medically retire him in a few years when he calls time
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 18, 2020, 1:45 pm
The Green Hornet wrote: August 18, 2020, 1:10 pm Sign him up and offer him a 15 year, 15 mil contract. Takes him to 45yrs old then we renegotiate for another 5 years.
Then we can medically retire him in a few years when he calls time
[/quote

YES! But obviously it would be a fake retirement, so he can holiday for a couple of months, then we re-sign him for another couple of years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders saving spots for Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana

The Canberra Raiders are keeping two spots open in their 2021 roster for Jordan Rapana and Sia Soliola.

"We won't have any spots anyway, whether it's 26 or 28. There's still Jordan Rapana, Sia - we're keeping spots open for them," Furner said."We'd love them to stay, but just the uncertainty of what the roster size will be and what the salary cap will be just asking them to be patient.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

I love it here in Canberra and this is where I want to be: Raiders winger Jordan Rapana

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana says he'd love nothing more than to finish his rugby league career in the nation's capital.

"Obviously, I love it here in Canberra and this is where I want to be," 31 year old, Rapana said today.

"I probably don't have too much longer in my career. To finish up here would be ideal. I've made a home here. I love it here. It's in my manager's hands now."

Always one to have some fun, Rapana jokingly made a public appeal to Raiders CEO Don Furner.

"Donny! Come on bro! Get me sorted," he laughed.

A report for The Greenhouse

Read more: viewtopic.php?p=1751766#p1751766
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Love Jordy - he'll go down as one of our best ever wingers, and he's clearly central to squad harmony and dynamics. It's been touched on many times but his regression as a player has been quite steep though, especially when you go back and watch just how good he was not too long ago. Phenomenal player who had almost every attribute you'd want in an outside back. For this to happen at 30/31, for a player who doesn't have that many miles in his legs, is a touch concerning.

If we sign him, it has to be the right length and money. We've already got Croker on a big money long term deal that I think he'll struggle to see out, and feel will cause us bloating issues at some point - cannot afford that to potentially happen to multiple players. Ruthless roster management is the be all and end all in this game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ruthless roster management...

I'm pretty sure that's what Kevin Neil claimed when he gave Stuart and Clyde the punt because he thought they were too old and busted.

Rapana has averaged 130 running metres a game this season, more than the likes of Sivo, Addo-Carr and Vunivalu.

Prior to getting injured, Soliola was averaging 95 m (10.5m per hitup) and 25 tackles per game in limited minutes this year, not to mention those intangible leadership qualities.

I seriously don't know what games you are watching some times. Thankfully the Raiders management are trying to fit them in.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The only thing that matters with these guys is the price, and it sounds like it's going to be good value.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:09 pm Canberra Raiders saving spots for Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana

The Canberra Raiders are keeping two spots open in their 2021 roster for Jordan Rapana and Sia Soliola.

"We won't have any spots anyway, whether it's 26 or 28. There's still Jordan Rapana, Sia - we're keeping spots open for them," Furner said."We'd love them to stay, but just the uncertainty of what the roster size will be and what the salary cap will be just asking them to be patient.

Intersting. From what I can gather we'll have 26 on the books next season if you include Soliola and Rapana (assuming Oldfield isn't retained).

Jarrod Croker - end 2024
Matt Frawley - end 2021
Emre Guler - end 2021
Corey Harawira-Naera - end 2022
Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021
Josh Hodgson - end 2022
Corey Horsburgh - end 2022
Ryan James - end 2022
Dunamis Lui - end 2021
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2023
Josh Papalii - end 2022
Jordan Rapana - end 2020
Harry Rushton - end 2023
Curtis Scott - end 2023
Bailey Simonsson - end 2023
Harley Smith Shields - 2021
Iosia Soliola - end 2020
Tom Starling - end 2020
Ryan Sutton - end 2022
Joseph Tapine - end 2023
Semi Valemei - end 2021
Jack Wighton – end 2024
George Williams - end 2022
Sam Williams - end 2021
Elliott Whitehead - end 2022
Hudson Young - end 2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Wonder if Havili will activate the option.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:33 pm Ruthless roster management...

I'm pretty sure that's what Kevin Neil claimed when he gave Stuart and Clyde the punt because he thought they were too old and busted.

Rapana has averaged 130 running metres a game this season, more than the likes of Sivo, Addo-Carr and Vunivalu.

Prior to getting injured, Soliola was averaging 95 m (10.5m per hitup) and 25 tackles per game in limited minutes this year, not to mention those intangible leadership qualities.

I seriously don't know what games you are watching some times. Thankfully the Raiders management are trying to fit them in.
Rugby League m8, the NRL.

Something that might be handy for you to watch too, before you start posting opinions about stuff using vague numbers and no depth.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:53 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:09 pm Canberra Raiders saving spots for Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana

Intersting. From what I can gather we'll have 26 on the books next season if you include Soliola and Rapana (assuming Oldfield isn't retained).

Jarrod Croker - end 2024
Matt Frawley - end 2021
Emre Guler - end 2021
Corey Harawira-Naera - end 2022
Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021
Josh Hodgson - end 2022
Corey Horsburgh - end 2022
Ryan James - end 2022
Dunamis Lui - end 2021
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2023
Josh Papalii - end 2022
Jordan Rapana - end 2020
Harry Rushton - end 2023
Curtis Scott - end 2023
Bailey Simonsson - end 2023
Harley Smith Shields - 2021
Iosia Soliola - end 2020
Tom Starling - end 2020
Ryan Sutton - end 2022
Joseph Tapine - end 2023
Semi Valemei - end 2021
Jack Wighton – end 2024
George Williams - end 2022
Sam Williams - end 2021
Elliott Whitehead - end 2022
Hudson Young - end 2021
Quality depth in that squad
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2020, 10:00 pm

Something that might be handy for you to watch too, before you start posting opinions about stuff using vague numbers and no depth.
Don’t want to get in the middle of this (kind of hoping for an old school Origin-style biff) but you’re both right.

Rapa and Sia have defied their ages this season. Sure, Rapa is noticeably slower and has lost some of that crazy ability to score that he had not that long ago but his work rate and metres are clearly the best of the outside backs bar Charnze. This is after not having a proper preseason and a staggered return that included starting on the bench, playing both wing spots, centre and fullback. Plus he has more than his share of those immeasurable qualities like competitiveness, X-factor, leadership and being vocal.

I’d expected Sia to slip this season but he just didn’t. His runs were hard and purposeful, and he lifted the tempo every time he hit the field. Without concessions for age, he was just an excellent short-minute prop.

So I agree with Seiffert and am glad the club wants to keep both. But afgtnk is also correct about being ruthless. I think the club showed this already in the Bateman and Cotric deals. No way they would let one of our most influential players and one of our few rep juniors go only to overspend on two older guys.

This will work out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2020, 10:00 pm

Vague numbers hey m8?

They're called statistics. Based on reality.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Most people hate it when mum and dad fight, but not me

I LOVE it
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Dead set I'll start a GoFundMe to keep this bloke.

Rapa is arguably the energy of our entire squad, he should be part of the leadership group
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Oh goodness, my day was going OK until you reminded me of when Ricky and Clyde left 😢

I recall some kind of anonymous fax that referred to Kevin Neil as Bozo the Clown.
I referenced this in a rant on the official raiders forum back then, and my comment was deleted! Haha.

I was so gutted to see Ricky in other colours.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

casta66 wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:23 pm

Oh goodness, my day was going OK until you reminded me of when Ricky and Clyde left 😢

I recall some kind of anonymous fax that referred to Kevin Neil as Bozo the Clown.
I referenced this in a rant on the official raiders forum back then, and my comment was deleted! Haha.

Yeah, that move changed the whole vibe of the club and was the beginning of the end.

So many factors go into building and maintaining a strong club. I just don't see any reason how we are stronger on or off the field without these two players if we can retain them at a fair price.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 20, 2020, 7:37 am
casta66 wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:23 pm

Yeah, that move changed the whole vibe of the club and was the beginning of the end.

So many factors go into building and maintaining a strong club. I just don't see any reason how we are stronger on or off the field without these two players if we can retain them at a fair price.
Absolutely. If that decision to let Stick and Clyde go was the beginning of the end, perhaps the signing of Soliola was the beginning of this golden period.

Soliola is a massive reason we seem to have a good culture.

As for Raps, some are referencing his lack of speed. True. However the last couple of games there have been countless times I've thought how lucky we are to have him. No one else in our roster would have done the same job.

Both a definite in my mind. The team is built around these 2 guys.

As always though, salary cap allowing 😬
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Give Jordy a full preseason with the team I reckon he might bounce back a little on his speed and agility.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2020, 8:38 am Give Jordy a full preseason with the team I reckon he might bounce back a little on his speed and agility.
Good point. Recapturing lost condition isn't that easy mid-season. Hopefully, a few kgs lighter and a bit fresher, he'll regain some of his mojo.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

amiafish wrote: August 20, 2020, 10:39 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2020, 8:38 am Give Jordy a full preseason with the team I reckon he might bounce back a little on his speed and agility.
Good point. Recapturing lost condition isn't that easy mid-season. Hopefully, a few kgs lighter and a bit fresher, he'll regain some of his mojo.
His conditioning program in Japan could have been vastly different. We don't really know but that's basically been his grounding for the NRL this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

The value of both of these guys off the field seems enormous, but is hard to truly evaluate as a fan. Easy to see that this current regime has done a much better job of building cohesion in the playing group than was the case at our club for a long time, so I guess they've earnt our trust on this point. Needless to say, I love both players and everything they've done for the club.

I have to say though I'm with asghtgsk in respect to Rapana's form this year. Yes the effort is there and always be - and he'll always come off having made a contribution as a result - but the quality has been lacking IMO. His finishing in particular has gone from elite to below average over the last 12-24 months, and this is a pretty vital area in the modern game. We need to try hold him given Cotric is moving on, but I really hope we don't overpay based on his rep player reputation.

Sia I think is harder to fit in given his injuries, the addition of James, and the development of the likes of Hors and Guler. Seems like the right time for him to transition into an off field role, though again trust him to make the right decision. No way he'll ever pull on a jersey if he knows he can't go out there and compete.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I remain a bit skeptical Jordy will get that mojo back. He's been a yard slower now for a good 18 months, not just this season. We were all wondering if he was carrying something preventing him from stretching out last season too. That's a long time to be waiting and still hoping for a 31 year old winger to recapture his spring. And by next pre-season it'll be 2 years waiting...

When weighing up his role in the squad I'm a bit more of a pragmatist. I think we have to take him at what he is now and accept that's what we get- great effort, usually excellent finishing (on the right at least), good in the air, decent yards rucking, impressive all round skills (kick, pass, flick etc). Decent defender but slight lunatic. Great man to have in the trenches.

But he won't be going 50 yards to score anymore. Won't be many clean breaks. No longer a gamebreaker. No longer quick by outside back standards.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

It really isn't as big a deal that he is no longer the player he once was because he's no longer on the salary he once was. His role has changed.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Everything is about outlay and value. I don't think there's one person that doesn't actually want Jordy in this team, but it has to be on the right terms. The teams that don't get this right and start to bloat are ultimately the ones who suffer the most - and as Raiders fans, we're absolutely **** sick of suffering.

If Jordy's thinking he can get around the sort of money he could've got 12-24 months ago by trading off the player he used to be, or sign on for more than two years, then forget about it. Given his advancing years and noticeable decline, take what he could've got back then and maybe half it.
thegreenmachine
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by thegreenmachine »

Yes its to do with the conditioning. I read somewhere that since he came back to Canberra he's a bit bigger which affects his speed but at least he doesn't get battered and bruised after each game.