Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Colk
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Tigers and Storm reportedly expressing interest in Jordan Rapana

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 27, 2020, 11:45 am It doesn't even look like the Raiders are aiming to retain Oldfield.
It does seem that way. It’s a bit of a shame because he is a solid first grade winger. I think the club seems very confident about keeping Rapana and Simonnson’s development. I think Valemei whilst improving still needs a fair bit of development
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Colk wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 27, 2020, 11:45 am It doesn't even look like the Raiders are aiming to retain Oldfield.
It does seem that way. It’s a bit of a shame because he is a solid first grade winger. I think the club seems very confident about keeping Rapana and Simonnson’s development. I think Valemei whilst improving still needs a fair bit of development
Unfortunately he has had a career record of too many injuries. That’s stopped him playing more NRL games.

Time for Raiders to let him go but recognise his excellent service to the club.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: September 28, 2020, 10:21 am
Colk wrote:
Unfortunately he has had a career record of too many injuries. That’s stopped him playing more NRL games.

Time for Raiders to let him go but recognise his excellent service to the club.
Yep.
He'd be getting in the road of Valemi or Simo now and Rapana is the "old stager" spot. We still need a backup winger but that might easily be another 18-19 year old kid by next year, as Simo is experienced enough to be a solid FG'er, Valemi now in his up and comer spot, it's probably best for both parties if Oldy moves on where he can be higher up the chain or some experience is needed somewhere.

He busted a gut every run and had some real highlights too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times reporting Sia Soliola almost locked in for 2021, but some details still to be sorted, while things are looking positive for the retention of Jordan Rapana after talks with his management on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Soliola and Rapana getting closer

Post by greeneyed »

'Unfinished business': Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

Raiders fan favourite Jordan Rapana is poised to ink a two-year extension to keep him in lime green, vowing to stay with Canberra until he helps deliver the NRL title he so nearly won 12 months ago.

"My manager's speaking to Sticky [coach Ricky Stuart] and Sticky's spoken to me and told me I'm a part of his plans," Rapana said. "I love it here, this is where I want to be and we've got unfinished business here.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/05/unf ... ders-deal/
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Jordan Rapana set to sign new two year Canberra Raiders deal

Post by Colk »

Good signing. His experience along with Croker will help bring through Semi, HSS and Timoko
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m actually of the opinion that with some attention payed to his defense he could have a red hot finish to his career as a centre.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Soliola and Rapana getting closer

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 5, 2020, 8:57 pm
"My manager's speaking to Sticky [coach Ricky Stuart] and Sticky's spoken to me and told me I'm a part of his plans," Rapana said. "I love it here, this is where I want to be and we've got unfinished business here.
hmmm... wonder why his manager is speaking to Stick :hmmm
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Unpopular opinion time: I wouldn't re-sign Rapana, and I don't think he will be in the top grade by the end of next season.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Don’t get this signing.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

T_R wrote: October 6, 2020, 8:40 am Unpopular opinion time: I wouldn't re-sign Rapana, and I don't think he will be in the top grade by the end of next season.
Not unpopular at all.
We need our youngsters to play first grade and develop.
I'd keep him in the Oldie role.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With Cotric and Oldfield gone and question marks over Scott's ability to get over his mental and physical hurdles, I think this is a reasonable decision by the club, at the right price.

I don't think Rapana is a centre. While he might improve his defence, his run-first instinct doesn't make for a particularly functional right side attack. However, next season we won't have either Bateman or Cotric on that right hand side, so I suspect Stuart will want to go into 2021 with some real experience on the books.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on October 6, 2020, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Love Raps.

But our backline in 2022, if not sooner, is going to have a real Dad's Army feel about it if both Croker and Raps are still mainstays at that time.

If we can do so without compromising our premiership window we urgently need to fast track the development of HSS, Timoko and Semi to determine if they are long term solutions.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yep, I love Rapana but it's time for the future generation to come through or we are going to really struggle. He is a depth signing IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: October 6, 2020, 8:40 am Unpopular opinion time: I wouldn't re-sign Rapana, and I don't think he will be in the top grade by the end of next season.
So long as it is a low cost contract, we need an experienced hand in the backs.
Colk
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Colk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 6, 2020, 9:05 am Love Raps.

But our backline in 2022, if not sooner, is going to have a real Dad's Army feel about it if both Croker and Raps are still mainstays at that time.

If we can do so without compromising our premiership window we urgently need to fast track the development of HSS, Timoko and Semi to determine if they are long term solutions.

I agree. If you look over the competition backlines change dramatically and are quite inexperienced on the whole. Look at the Sharks over the weekend and their two wingers (Katoa and Maulitalo) started last year and are probably their two best backs. Ramien and Kennedy also wouldn’t be too experienced either.

I could also point a lot of other sides and find examples of 1, 2 or even 3 backs with less than two years’ experience like Melbourne, Manly, Penrith, Newcastle.

I would keep Rapana on a bench utility role as he can play across the back five and could also pinch hit in the back row or even lock if need be
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
So long as it is a low cost contract, we need an experienced hand in the backs.
Agreed, but I think it should be a 1 year deal.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I agree with the general sentiment he'd be handy to have around next year- experienced winger, capable cover for centre/FB. I'm not expecting a miracle improvement back to the glory days but he's FG standard. He's been breaking the line a little bit more regularly the back end of the season.

But 2 years is silly. Year by year would have been better. I'm not 100% sure he'd be a better choice than Simo or Valemi as a wing next year and 2 years would be another stretch.

Depends if he's happy in the "Oldfield backup role" but I don't think that is really the plan. Hopefully he gives Morris a bath and plays a blinder vs the Chooks to make this look like a great deal.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

It depends on price..

At more then 300k I agree with you.

Below 300k and I think fair enough
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:I agree with the general sentiment he'd be handy to have around next year- experienced winger, capable cover for centre/FB. I'm not expecting a miracle improvement back to the glory days but he's FG standard. He's been breaking the line a little bit more regularly the back end of the season.

But 2 years is silly. Year by year would have been better. I'm not 100% sure he'd be a better choice than Simo or Valemi as a wing next year and 2 years would be another stretch.

Depends if he's happy in the "Oldfield backup role" but I don't think that is really the plan. Hopefully he gives Morris a bath and plays a blinder vs the Chooks to make this look like a great deal.
Surely you’re hoping he gives Morris a bubble bath, mate
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I like Rapana but not sure about 2 years.

We need to blood Timoko into the first squad ASAP.

Wings next year of Simmo/Rapana, Toots and Timoko in the centres.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Makaveli wrote:I like Rapana but not sure about 2 years.

We need to blood Timoko into the first squad ASAP.

Wings next year of Simmo/Rapana, Toots and Timoko in the centres.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I think HSS looked very good as well, so he could be first back up

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

scott gets a full preseason and a fresh start hopefully finds his best footy too

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I have the same view on this as i do Sia re-signing

These are still good NRL players who are important parts of the squad and culture, and im happy to keep them from that human side of things.
Pure football, i dont think either should be in our first choice 17 next year... now injuries are going to happen and when they do we'll be stoked to have these guys, but I really want to see the young guys get their chance next year. If their deals reflect that they're not top 17 guys anymore and they're happy playing that role and waiting for their chances through either injury, suspension or just poor form from the younger guys, then that's perfect
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's pretty clear Stuart loves the hell out of Rapana.

For a start, the guy was allowed to leave for Rugby Union, with some sort of understanding he'd be welcomed back.

He then proceeds to have practically no offseason, being stuck in Japan, comes back the the Raiders, is asked to do the big switcheroo to the left hand side (for whatever reason) and then finds himself at right centre to fill in for Scott.

Stuart clearly trusts him to do the job, whatever is asked of him. It's no surprise Stick wants him to stay.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

bonehead wrote: October 6, 2020, 1:56 pm scott gets a full preseason and a fresh start hopefully finds his best footy too

Haha completely forgot about Scott
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I don't know hether to put this post here or in theSoliola thread.

Re watching the CRRL grand final replay and looking at the young players who are on the verge of the Raiders squad there are a plethora of promising young Islander players coming through. Both Rapana and Soliola are Gods to those guys. They are also great role models with a deserved reputation of being close to Stuart and D Furner.

For the young players they carry more weight in a coaching and culture role than most and I reckon much of their value in the future will be in a mentoring role. I still see a lot of FG in the future of both guys, especially Rapana, but their mentoring value is what is probably of most interest to the club from now on.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Definitely, the pipeline looks chock-a-block fingers crossed we hold onto the best of the crop because there's no way we keep them all

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: October 6, 2020, 4:00 pm Definitely, the pipeline looks chock-a-block fingers crossed we hold onto the best of the crop because there's no way we keep them all

If we can't keep Esera, Mooney and Clarkson, and possibly Trevilyan (I haven't seen enough of him yet), I'm going to be bitterly disappointed.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

I'm sorry to say this, because I love Rapana's whole-hearted commitment to every game, but his decline over the last couple of seasons has been precipitous. He's lost a ton of pace, his evasive skills are gone, he doesn't have the power to bust tackles anymore. The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.

What's more (and in contadiction to the sentiments of some previous posts), his "experience" is not a help to the younger guys at all. Rapana always has been, and apparently always will be, a boiling kettle about to go off. Even after all these years in first grade, he still makes rookie mistakes in defense (some of his defensive play last week was so poor that the Channel 9 commentators, who typically pay scant regard to the actual football, felt moved to comment on how god-awful it was). He is just about the last experienced guy in our squad that I would put in charge of the young blokes (at least insofar as defense and discipline are concerned...if it's passion and commitment, he can teach that for sure).

In the context of young guns like Harley Smith-Shields, Timoko and Vilemi coming through (with Scott and Oldfield in reserve), I just don't see what the utility of a busted up erstwhile impact player like Rapana is. Once the impact is gone, there's nothing of real value left. What am I missing here?
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think he is being unfairly judged. Rapana is a genuine footballer and I believe he has 2 years left in him to contribute in a meaningful way. During the next 2 years I am sure he will revert to reserve, and that is an important role, especially with the speed of the game. Beyond that is a stretch.

What we must remember is that he has played so many different roles since he got back. Most notably centre and off the bench .. has had a few games at wing and one as fullback. Last season he had Leilua who is arguable one of the most damaging attacking centres (park his flaws aside). Also his efforts would be contagious amongst the playing group - both on and off the field.

He would come at the right price I'm sure. I highly doubt he would want to move to Melbourne or Sydney so there is an incentive there as well.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

amiafish wrote: October 6, 2020, 5:08 pm I'm sorry to say this, because I love Rapana's whole-hearted commitment to every game, but his decline over the last couple of seasons has been precipitous. He's lost a ton of pace, his evasive skills are gone, he doesn't have the power to bust tackles anymore. The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.

What's more (and in contadiction to the sentiments of some previous posts), his "experience" is not a help to the younger guys at all. Rapana always has been, and apparently always will be, a boiling kettle about to go off. Even after all these years in first grade, he still makes rookie mistakes in defense (some of his defensive play last week was so poor that the Channel 9 commentators, who typically pay scant regard to the actual football, felt moved to comment on how god-awful it was). He is just about the last experienced guy in our squad that I would put in charge of the young blokes (at least insofar as defense and discipline are concerned...if it's passion and commitment, he can teach that for sure).

In the context of young guns like Harley Smith-Shields, Timoko and Vilemi coming through (with Scott and Oldfield in reserve), I just don't see what the utility of a busted up erstwhile impact player like Rapana is. Once the impact is gone, there's nothing of real value left. What am I missing here?
I think the value of the experience factor comes into play much more off the field than on, in terms of leading young guys in their attitude, habits, behaviour, etc. You wouldn't want any kid to be following his lead grabbing thin air in defence on the field, that's for sure.

In terms of form, sadly that's all hit the nail on the head. His physical ability has fallen off a cliff somehow and there doesn't seem to be anyway that he's going to recover it - in fact, he seems to be steadily getting worse. Again, like with most signings it comes down to what the $$ is, but I don't think a two-year deal is wise given Ricky will likely still view him as a starter. I'm concerned that the club isn't being as ruthless as it should be here with Sia's announcement and Rapa's one impending.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

im loathe to do it, because i really love both Raps and Sia, but i share concerns about the way this squad is being managed in some areas

Ricky mentioned in his departure at the roosters that he was too loyal to some vets in his GF winning roosters squad and it cost him. I do wonder if he's repeating that mistake again.

As i said, neither Sia nor Raps would be in our best 17 footy wise next year unless something has gone terribly wrong.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

My thought here is next years backs have x2 senior experienced players in Rapa and Toots, neither of which would be considered ‘elite’, just very good.

We have Scott, Simo, Semi, HSS and Timoko, none of which has a lock in any position.

We are missing an elite back.

Chooks have teddy, the Morris’s, manu and Tupou.

Eels have Sivo and Gutho.

Bunnies have Latrell.

Knights have Ponga.

Etc etc...

Nearly all elite teams have at least 1 elite, game breaking back in their squad, and we currently don’t. While there is potential for the young boys to become that player, there are players like bailey, Rapa and Scott in their way.

I love Rapa, but we have way to many ‘adequate’ backs on our roster for next year I think.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

OUr elite players are in the pack and halves

The knights have Ponga, congrats to them... they have a promosing hooker coming off a major injury and trash bag halves.
The eels have Sivo and Gutho, good luck to them, their forward pack cant hold a candle to ours.
The Bunnies can take Latrell, their forwards are no better chance to stand up to ours as the Eels.

The roosters have **** everything except a halves parnter for Keary