Michael Ennis

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Michael Ennis

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I used to hate him as a player, particularly after his antics in the 2016 semi final at GIO Stadium. I have been very impressed with him on FoxLeague and I love hearing his analysis. He and Cooper Cronk by far have the best insights and analysis on FoxLeague, and that's no disrespect to Mal, who is a big stature for what he achieved on the field and off as coach of Qld and the Kangaroos.

Mick Ennis is smart, witty and analytical, and I loved the exchange he had with Ricky when Ricky was interviewed before the Souths game last week.

Mick would make a great coach due to his knowledge of the game and how he understands the players. I am very glad that he's working with us as an Assistant Coach, although that may be remotely now given the biosecurity requirements and the team bubble.I'm looking forward to him spending time with the likes of Starling and Havilii and I hope he's passing on his observations to Ricky about the team and other teams as we enter into a critical match against the Panthers. For starters I hope he's passing on tips to Ricky as to how we improve our attack.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: Michael Ennis

Post by casta66 »

Agreed! Couldn't stand him as a player. But loved his commentary, even before he started working with us.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's no coincidence we developed a certain grit and made the GF shortly after his arrival
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Far and away the most interesting analyst
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I actually think the fox team are head and shoulders above nine.
Commentary aside (much better on fox too) the analysis on fox leaves nine for dead. A far cry from the dribble days of Whiz Freeman and Wayne Pearce on fox.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Ennis was one of those players I loved to watch if he wasn’t playing us.

He did everything in his power to win a game and it was often done with a cheeky grin.

I always wanted him in origin over Robbie Farah, didn’t offer quite as much in attach but didn’t have the same brain explosions with the ball that Farah did.

As an analyst the best. Really enjoy the wrap where he item gets to be a bit more analytical.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

KingDynamite wrote: August 2, 2020, 11:00 pm Ennis was one of those players I loved to watch if he wasn’t playing us.

He did everything in his power to win a game and it was often done with a cheeky grin.

I always wanted him in origin over Robbie Farah, didn’t offer quite as much in attach but didn’t have the same brain explosions with the ball that Farah did.

As an analyst the best. Really enjoy the wrap where he item gets to be a bit more analytical.
Also never killed Campo's rep career the way Robbie did. And played on teams that won, though I'm no grognard of the stats.

Basically he served the rest of the team, unlike Farah.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Old School Green wrote: August 2, 2020, 6:37 pm I actually think the fox team are head and shoulders above nine.
Commentary aside (much better on fox too) the analysis on fox leaves nine for dead. A far cry from the dribble days of Whiz Freeman and Wayne Pearce on fox.
tbf it's not difficult to be better than team 9.

Where's Gaz ?

Anybody seen Gaz ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I also think that having Ennis in the club and on fox means the raiders are discussed more often and more positively. He always has good things to say about the raiders club and players and that is a huge benefit over basically being completely ignored.

He is clearly a natural pest and that was just as clear in his playing career as it is in commentary but he manages to balance it reasonably well.

Ricky was very smart on a number of levels to involve him with the club.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Have seen multiple people complain about ennis commentating about raiders saying hes got a clear bias and its annoying. Which we are happy for because it means we finally get talked about
Dont delete this GE
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

He strikes me as the kind of person that’s loved by everyone who’s been involved with him, and those on the outside find him a pest.

I like him now. We get a piece of the Ennis factor now.

Thought for the GH: If the rumours were true about Bulldogs wanting him to do his coaching apprenticeship with a view of taking over, would you offer him the same deal under Stick? I’m not wanting to do it anytime soon, but a time will come when the call has to be made. With Stick’s involvement in Canberra and the Club, I could see him one day moving to a GM role, and hand over the coaching keys to someone else.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think if that's what Stuart and Ennis plans to do in the next 3-4 years then sure id be all about that.

But if i had to guess i would think Stuart is planning on coaching beyond that and if that's the case Ennis would simply be groomed for another team, which is fine too, coaching development is a good thing and establishing that relationship between coach and club might end up helping us at some point if Ennis is a good career coach,
But i also think Ennis is probably finding he's quite good at this media thing and it's a pretty good stress free job, so im not sure how keen he'd be to give that up to commit to permanent coaching roles which would be required
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

In one aspect, Ennis is the Raiders most valuable media ally. Kent gives Raiders some time but isn't as widely popular or even as credible as Ennis. It makes a huge difference if you have some squeaky wheels to help push your barrow.

In the other aspect his game analysis is very good. In my opinion a positive influence on Hodgson can be traced to around when Ennis began getting involved. And if you look at all our 3 hookers, who all play quite differently, all have continued improvement in the same period- the sign of a good coach when he doesn't just try to force one cookie cutter approach on different players but understands how to guide each one to improve individually in their own style.

Ennis would be a good coach. I'm not sure he'd want to give up his comfy media role + a but of coaching on the side for the relatively unglamorous assistant coach years just in the hope he'd maybe one day end up a head coach- huge stress and sure to be sacked eventually... I'm not sure he'd want that. It would purely have to be for personal fulfilment/coaching ambition.

If he does want to do that, absolutely we should be putting him on as an assistant. It's a no lose situation- if Ricky wants to move on at some stage you've got a sharp coach connected to the modern game ready to take over. If Ricky stays presumably it's only because he's become a Bennett/Sheedy supercoach and you've still had the benefit of the sharp, recent playing mind for a few years and he goes off to pursue ambitions.

Ennis' real heart might be at the dogs though, even if he really does want to be a coach.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think McFadden's impact gets lost in the wood work. He and White have been in charge of the defense. He got CNK over here.
The recruitment team got us Bateman, Williams, Sutton and next year James. They worked Rapana back in here.
We've got juniors coming through in O'Donnell, HSS and Valemei that don't look out of place. That's on the heels of the recent pack of Guler, Horsburgh and a young player like Simonsson being given a shot.

There's a hell of a lot Ennis has next to no involvement with. Yes he's doing a good job but his impact on the football department in the grand scheme of things is being oversold.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Certainly think Ennis’s analysis is above-average. But purely as a presenter he’s a challenge to listen to... “rogby loig”, “doived for the loin”, and so on
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Im glad he is involved with the Raiders. No doubt a great contributor to our success last year.

I wish he would be more broad or discrete when be analyses our games though. Perhaps not many any concrete observations .. keep them private!!!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Old School Green wrote: August 2, 2020, 6:37 pm I actually think the fox team are head and shoulders above nine.
Does anyone remember a Tigers game at Leichardt that Whiz was calling where Sheens moved Daine Laurie from starting to bench just before kickoff, and Whiz's first twenty minutes of commentary was 'Where's Daine Laurie? He needs to get Laurie on the field! The Tigers need Laurie out there! What is Sheens doing, he needs to get Daine Laurie on the field! The Tigers need Laurie out there, now! You can't leave a player the calibre of Daine Laurie on the bench like this!'.

Laurie dropped the ball with his first run and got knocked the **** out on his second. I think he played about four more first grade games in his career.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Timbo wrote: August 4, 2020, 11:02 am
Does anyone remember a Tigers game at Leichardt that Whiz was calling where Sheens moved Daine Laurie from starting to bench just before kickoff, and Whiz's first twenty minutes of commentary was 'Where's Daine Laurie? He needs to get Laurie on the field! The Tigers need Laurie out there! What is Sheens doing, he needs to get Daine Laurie on the field! The Tigers need Laurie out there, now! You can't leave a player the calibre of Daine Laurie on the bench like this!'.

Laurie dropped the ball with his first run and got knocked the **** out on his second. I think he played about four more first grade games in his career.
Look who's in the 21 for Penrith this week Timbo... I thought he was long gone!

Penrith Panthers

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Tyrone May
15. Spencer Leniu
16. Moses Leota
17. Zane Tetevano

18. Mitch Kenny
19. Matt Burton
20. Billy Burns
21. Daine Laurie
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The original is 36, this one is 21

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: August 4, 2020, 6:09 pm The original is 36, this one is 21

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Well fancy that. It's like having another Dane Tilse.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.