25%
Panthers 13+
19%

Total votes: 16

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 13 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by bonehead »

Green Taipan wrote:I can't see us cracking the 4 less alone the GF with Jack in the halves. He is too inconsistent and easily distracted by peripheral things. He's also not a crafty or thinking 5/8 and rarely turns in a gold star performance with his kicking game. I think with his brutal running and defence he is better suited to the centres. I wonder if Bateman, who seems to be able to do anything, might be better at 5/8?
you mean like last year when we went top 4 and within an ace of winning the GF with Jack taking the Clive Churchill playing 6?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's no bigger challenge than facing ladder leaders: Croker

The Parramatta Eels, the Melbourne Storm, the Sydney Roosters, the South Sydney Rabbitohs. All heavyweights in the NRL. The Raiders have had to face them all in the past six weeks.

But Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says that, at present, there is no bigger challenge than facing the ladder leading Penrith Panthers.

And that's the challenge in front of the Green Machine on Saturday night when they travel to Panthers Stadium.

"We've had some really big challenges," Croker said on Wednesday.

"It seems to be that when we've had a big match, we've played really well. We haven't won all of them. We went to golden point against the Eels."

"We're certainly standing up in the big matches, but it's about winning them now as well."

"But top of the ladder, there's no bigger challenge at the moment in the competition. It's a big match, so hopefully the big guns stand up."

"We've got to go down there with that mindset that we want to beat the best. And we have to be at our best if we do want to beat them."

Croker is pleased that the Raiders have still been coming away with the competiton points, even though the Green Machine has not always been firing on all cylinders.

"We haven't played our best in a couple of those games and we've still won, Croker said.

"I think that's a positive sign for the back end of the season. You don't want to be peaking in the middle of the season. You just need to be winning games, and working our way up towards the top four and competing towards the back end of the year."

"There have been a few scrappy ones, a few tight ones. Most of our wins have been by six less points or eight or less points. Which is pleasing. Tight wins, tough wins, gritty wins, ugly wins... it doesn't matter how we get them, we've just got to keep getting them. To keep building our footy and keep getting better as the year goes on, and hopefully play our best at the back end of the year."

Croker welcomed the return of a number of troops from injury, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Michael Oldfield available for the clash with the Panthers. Nicoll-Klokstad suffered a compound finger dislocation against the Rabbitohs in Round 11, but will be back after just a week on the sidelines.

"The initial thought was it would be a couple of weeks, so it's good to see him [Nicoll-Klokstad] back. He trained yesterday and got through it fine, so I think he's right to go," Croker said.

"Even having Oldy [Michael Oldfield] back as well, it adds to the depth. We're starting to look like a really strong side again."

"Johnny [Bateman] and Curtis [Scott] were back playing well last week. Corey [Harawira-Naera] came in and played well in his first game. Now getting Charnze and Oldy back, it's a welcome return."

Croker said he'll need to be at his best when he faces former Raiders centre, Brent Naden, on Saturday.

"He's a good player Nado [Brent Naden]. He's always had a lot of talent and a lot of ability," Croker said.

"He showed when he was here playing with the juniors and Mounties, he's a special talent. They're playing well across the whole park, so it's hard to nail it down to one bloke. But obviously, I'm marking up against him. So I'm looking forward to that challenge. He's been playing some good footy."

Croker's goal kicking form is back to his best in 2020 - and it proved the difference in the Raiders' two point win over the Cowboys last weekend.

"It's nice to knock a couple over and it always makes you feel pretty nice when it does come down to that in the end."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Croker: There's no bigger challenge for us this week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... this-week/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The first thing I saw was a bit of bone... and I thought, oh my goodness, what's happened?

The moment Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad suffered a compound dislocation of his little finger, he simply went into shock.

A compound dislocation of the finger is so severe, that it breaks the skin - and bone was the first thing he saw when he looked at his injured hand in the clash with the Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium in Round 11.

Fortunately, Nicoll-Klokstad suffered no damage to the bones or ligaments in his finger and will be able to play on Saturday night against the Panthers at Penrith.

"I really couldn't feel it. I was just carrying on I guess," Nicoll-Klokstad said, laughing.

"First thing I saw was a bit of bone, and I thought, oh my goodness, what's happened? I just walked off holding my wrist for some reason."

"It's all good. I'm really excited to be back. I just had to tick a few boxes to make sure I'm right for this week. I can't wait to get back on the field with the boys."

"I've just got to make sure I can do the fundamentals of our game. A finger is pretty important in rugby league. Being able to catch, for starters, and distribute the ball as well."

"I was pretty confident it was only going to be a week [on the sidelines]. It could have been a lot worse than what it is. If there was tendon or ligament damage, I could have been out for a lot longer than one week, so I'm really lucky there was no bone damage or ligament damage and I get to put my boots back on this week."

Nicoll-Klokstad says Jordan Rapana produced a great performance last weekend against the Cowboys when he took over the No. 1 jersey.

"I was really stoked for him. He showed a lot of experience. He's been in the game a long time. With a player like him, he can slot into anywhere in the 17, in the 13," Nicoll-Klokstad said.

"I was really happy for him. We had a good laugh the next morning about some stuff... in particular, the play one kick."

"Something I can take out of his book is a bit of confidence."

Nicoll-Klokstad is pleased that the Raiders' injury list is finally starting to diminish - with John Bateman making a successful return from shoulder surgery against the Cowboys.

"I was a little bit upset last week that I wasn't playing because I really wanted to be out there for John's first game back - and obviously, Corey [Harawira-Naera] debuting. But I'm really excited that I get the opportunity to do that this week," Nicoll-Klokstad said.

"Everyone has talked about what John brings to this team and I'm really excited for him to be back in the team. He's just got that winning edge, and he drags people up to his standard. I'm really excited to rub shoulders with him agains this weekend."

A report for The Greenhouse

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad reveals how close he came to missing rest of NRL season

The first thing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad saw was bone sticking out of his dislocated little finger, but it wasn't until afterwards the Canberra Raiders fullback found out how serious it could've been.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

VIDEO: CNK excited by returning players: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... g-players/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Kai O'Donnell: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... -odonnell/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

It's normal to go into shock when you see a little bit of bone

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: August 5, 2020, 4:33 pm
Green Taipan wrote:I can't see us cracking the 4 less alone the GF with Jack in the halves. He is too inconsistent and easily distracted by peripheral things. He's also not a crafty or thinking 5/8 and rarely turns in a gold star performance with his kicking game. I think with his brutal running and defence he is better suited to the centres. I wonder if Bateman, who seems to be able to do anything, might be better at 5/8?
you mean like last year when we went top 4 and within an ace of winning the GF with Jack taking the Clive Churchill playing 6?

Sitting in 5th despite a horrendous injury toll, rooky backline, 4 middles out but no chance of top 4 with Jack holding us back :roflmao
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I am fine with continuing to win ugly and fully subscribe to the notion that the most important thing is amassing the most amount of points you can, being capable in defence and trusting that being in the hunt in September (or whatever month it is this year) gives you a decent shot. That is how we almost won a premiership last year despite at no real point looking like an attacking juggernaut.

But I do think the rubber has to meet the road at some point in terms of our attack improving at least moderately in order to put us in that hunt. We don't need to win this week but I will be hugely encouraged if we can show some signs of clicking in attack.

Further if we put in a good show this week a decent body of evidence will be mounting which suggests that we rise to the occasion against the good teams.

For me this week, whilst in no way "do or die" or any of those associated cliches, will be fascinating in providing hints as to how far we could potentially go this year.

I think Panthers by 4-10 is a solid bet if you're a punting man, but I think we are a red hot shout to win this one and Penrith would be silly if they don't have themselves primed for a heavyweight clash here.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

1st 3 games we looked slick, the way we were able to score almost at will in those early games was good but since then our form hasn't been great.
I do think the way we are going deep will give us the fitness later in the year

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Injury God's be kind please..
The team looks fit and ready for 80 minutes, we all know we haven't played our best yet, still fifth and won against top 8 teams ...
And the young guys have looked great filling in..
The staff have done a great job getting this squad to this point in a train wreck NRL season, in my opinion anyway
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Green Taipan wrote: August 5, 2020, 4:29 pm I can't see us cracking the 4 less alone the GF with Jack in the halves. He is too inconsistent and easily distracted by peripheral things. He's also not a crafty or thinking 5/8 and rarely turns in a gold star performance with his kicking game. I think with his brutal running and defence he is better suited to the centres. I wonder if Bateman, who seems to be able to do anything, might be better at 5/8?
He's not a crafty 5/8, but he's a very strong runner, good kicker and ok passer. The only ones better than him would be the out and out stars: Munster, Keary. Arguably Cody Walker when in top form

There was always talk that with two running halves we'd be without a general, maybe there's been some truth to that, and halves have to be in the conversation on any discussion of the attack... but I don't know, I don't see it as their fault somehow. A Wighton/Williams combo would be pretty enviable to most teams
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad as the Green Machine prepares for their clash with the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/kvWs50AR8Vs

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2020, 4:42 pm "There have been a few scrappy ones, a few tight ones. Most of our wins have been by six less points or eight or less points. Which is pleasing. Tight wins, tough wins, gritty wins, ugly wins... it doesn't matter how we get them, we've just got to keep getting them. To keep building our footy and keep getting better as the year goes on, and hopefully play our best at the back end of the year."
That's the way to look at it, skip. However we get em, just get em.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just a question... do people like the stories we've been writing the last couple of weeks, based on the official press conferences? They take a little bit of effort... but if people think they're worthwhile, I'll continue doing them.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Just a question... do people like the stories we've been writing the last couple of weeks, based on the official press conferences? They take a little bit of effort... but if people think they're worthwhile, I'll continue doing them.
They're much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: August 5, 2020, 5:13 pm It's normal to go into shock when you see a little bit of bone

You're bad boney :lol:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I've seen comments above that this is not a must win game. Correct - technically.

But this reminds me of the game against Cronulla at Shark Park in 2016 about 8-10 games to go when they were leading the competition. We won well away from home that evening and beat the ladder leaders, which put everyone on notice that we were a contender and not just making up the numbers. We beat Melbourne at home the week after. We need to do the same so it's probably our most important game this season so far. Win - and we will be very confident going forward, with our draw, of looking at a top 4 place, even top 2. Lose - then we are back to the field of top 8.

We need to beat the Chocolate Soldiers and put them in their place - they beat us at GIO a few years back when video and court star Tyrone May scored that try from dummy half.

Defence is key - like last year and in 2016 when we encountered teams like Cronulla and Melbourne with good attack but still beat them. Everyone is writing us off this week - no one at Fox Sports has tipped us except Ennis. Even Daley said Penrith looking likely. In NRL tipsters only Hannah Hollis, Mary K and Ennis have tipped us and they are Raiders fans and Ennis the Assistant Coach. Penrith do not scare me. Let's beat these bastards.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2020, 7:28 pm Just a question... do people like the stories we've been writing the last couple of weeks, based on the official press conferences? They take a little bit of effort... but if people think they're worthwhile, I'll continue doing them.
Yes thanks Greeneyed.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and service!
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Yup ge keep em coming

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

T_R wrote: August 5, 2020, 7:36 pm
greeneyed wrote:Just a question... do people like the stories we've been writing the last couple of weeks, based on the official press conferences? They take a little bit of effort... but if people think they're worthwhile, I'll continue doing them.
They're much appreciated

Agree. They are really useful. Thank you.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

KasparRaider wrote:
T_R wrote: August 5, 2020, 7:36 pm
They're much appreciated

Agree. They are really useful. Thank you.
Keep it up Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2020, 7:28 pm Just a question... do people like the stories we've been writing the last couple of weeks, based on the official press conferences? They take a little bit of effort... but if people think they're worthwhile, I'll continue doing them.
Keep them coming
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Your the best GE !
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Thank you I’ve been really enjoying them. BZ GE :thumbsup
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2020, 5:07 pm The first thing I saw was a bit of bone... and I thought, oh my goodness, what's happened?
definitely appreciate you writing these. also love cnk. what a guy
Dont delete this GE
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

They're great and very professional. So professional I've often wondered whether you could do a deal to with the club (or media) to use some of the great content you pull together.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah it's greatly appreciated by fans- especially for a team where we don't get a huge amount of quality coverage from other papers, just token stuff from them usually.

I actually thought when CNK started walking off that he must have broken his arm somehow- just guessing by him grabbing his wrist and supporting it like that. Funny little insight that he had no idea why he did it either.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Boomercm wrote:
They're great and very professional. So professional I've often wondered whether you could do a deal to with the club (or media) to use some of the great content you pull together.
Through Green Eyes should be up on the club website each week. Madness they don't get on board with it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

bonehead wrote: August 5, 2020, 4:33 pm

That was last year. I'm talking about his current form. I look forward to seeing if he can rise to the challenge of Penrith and Cleary.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Jamie Soward and Matthew Elliott preview the game of the round as Penrith Panthers host Canberra Raiders at Panthers Stadium: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/06/pan ... -round-13/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Panthers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34166

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... -panthers/
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Yes very appreciative thanks GE :)
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Your efforts are always much appreciated.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

That's enough blowin the wind up GE folks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

I sometimes don't even tell the difference between the ones you write up GE and ones from journalists (which is a good thing) - please keep it up!

I hope CNK has a blinder this weekend. He's had a bit of a rocky season but and one good game could get his confidence right back up to see some of last years form.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, keep going. They're a good read. :)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

pacman wrote:I sometimes don't even tell the difference between the ones you write up GE and ones from journalists (which is a good thing) - please keep it up!

I hope CNK has a blinder this weekend. He's had a bit of a rocky season but and one good game could get his confidence right back up to see some of last years form.
I’m afraid i ‘can’ tell the difference between a Sydney league journalists report and GE’s reports.

GE can spell Raiders players names and doesn’t still think some lower grader is still at the club when they moved to Sharks or Cowboys three years ago.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Those on here living/working around Penrith if you happen to see a panthers player out and about a photo in social media will be helpful 😇
Vaccinated