Panthers 13+
19%

Total votes: 16

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 13 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Glenn Lazarus backs Canberra Raiders to lift with returning troops

The imminent return of Mr. Reliable and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has NRL legend Glenn Lazarus confident the Canberra Raiders can lift to another level as they emerge from an injury crisis.

"It's going to be a different game but I believe Canberra will rise to the occasion and if Charnze and Oldfield are back, it'll only increase their chances," Lazarus said. "The fact is they've had to deal with a horror injury toll and not really skipped a beat. They had a really tough month and the only game they lost was against Melbourne, and again were tested in regards to their troops that night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'Clearly it's an advantage': Panthers, Eels draw not lost on Raiders

Competition leaders Penrith have become a protected species when it comes to travel - but it is a whole different story when it comes to their rivals this weekend, Canberra.

"Clearly it's an advantage not to be doing all that travel for teams like Penrith and Parramatta,'' Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "Penrith and Parramatta have a blessed draw. Good luck to them. They didn't construct the draw. But it's a big difference having nine games away in 13 rounds versus one out of 13. It's not close is it?''

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/clearl ... 55hyh.html

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Cowboys: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34166

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/03/pan ... sessments/

The brutal fend from Canberra Raiders prop Ryan Sutton that’s gone viral and sent Spain ‘crazy’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ce522286fa
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: August 3, 2020, 1:52 pm This Panthers team is a lot better than last year's team and the form of their players is better.
They've got Kikau humming on all cylinders instead of Frank Winterstein in the second row. Likewise Yeo is in top form and playing in a better position instead of looking like he's had one too many concussions.
Chricton in the centres is actually dangerous in attack instead of having Dean Whare. Naden is a lot more experienced this time around.
Their bench is a lot stronger. The RCG they had on it last year was in far worse form than he is this year.

Even if you could sit there and say "well they had Maloney". That has us down 1 obvious target for our attack and Cleary has been playing better without him there.

There is no comparison.
Yeah, I'm not quite in the same basket in thinking there's no comparison.

Last season we went to Penrith in Rd 19 when the Panthers were on a 7 game winning streak, including four wins over top 6 teams the Roosters, Souths, Parra and Manly.

In their current 7 game streak they have only beaten two top 6 teams in Melbourne and Cronulla.

They are playing well, but IMO to say there is no comparison to the Penrith team of last season overstates things a little. I think Koroisau more than compensates for the loss of Maloney, but I honestly don't think our forward pack will see theirs as any more potent than what they were last year. Back then they had RCG coming off the bench and were humming along quite well by the time we put them in their place. :)
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:53 pm
zim wrote: August 3, 2020, 1:52 pm This Panthers team is a lot better than last year's team and the form of their players is better.
They've got Kikau humming on all cylinders instead of Frank Winterstein in the second row. Likewise Yeo is in top form and playing in a better position instead of looking like he's had one too many concussions.
Chricton in the centres is actually dangerous in attack instead of having Dean Whare. Naden is a lot more experienced this time around.
Their bench is a lot stronger. The RCG they had on it last year was in far worse form than he is this year.

Even if you could sit there and say "well they had Maloney". That has us down 1 obvious target for our attack and Cleary has been playing better without him there.

There is no comparison.

Last season we went to Penrith in Rd 19 when the Panthers were on a 7 game winning streak, including four wins over top 6 teams the Roosters, Souths, Parra and Manly.

In their current 7 game streak they have only beaten two top 6 teams in Melbourne and Cronulla.

They are playing well, but IMO to say there is no comparison to the Penrith team of last season overstates things a little. I think Koroisau more than compensates for the loss of Maloney, but I honestly don't think our forward pack will see theirs as any more potent than what they were last year. Back then they had RCG coming off the bench and were humming along quite well by the time we put them in their place. :)
And the Roosters
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

No Raiders Members allowed into this game, all sold out last Friday.

Hostile Environment. Might be good for us

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Finchy wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:46 pm In fact, they've had a fantastic year so far looking at their results:

Current Ladder Position:

1. Panthers
2. Storm - win
3. Eels - 6 point loss (had them beat until Waqa Blake put on 3 tries in ten mins to sneak a win for the Eels)
4. Roosters - win
5. Raiders - haven't played yet
6. Sharks - win
7. Knights - draw (should have won)
8. Rabbitohs - win
9. Sea Eagles - win
10. Tigers - win
11. Dragons - win
12. Warriors - win
13. Cowboys - win
14. Titans - win
15. Broncos - haven't played yet
16. Bulldogs - haven't played yet

So they've lost 1 game all year, against a top 4 side, who they had beaten pretty easily if it weren't for clocking off for ten mins at the end of the game.

The only teams they haven't played yet are us, and the two teams coming last. So they've played the rest of the top eight, and teams ranked 9-14, and still only lost once. That's hardly had a dream run.
I stand corrected on the win / loss but they are the only premiership contender that have not HD injuries to key players, that’s luck I guess and their draw / travel is gifted to them in comparison to ours, point is it’s unlikely they won’t have some adversity from now until deep into the finals, good luck to Penrith, they have the best junior pathway system in the league and are well and truly due for a GF appearance, if not a win
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

There is no comparison.

Koroisau is the biggest upgrade for Panthers over last year. Under appreciated at Manly where they had Fainu pegged as their future. Fainu was amore dangerous runner but I always felt Koroisau had the better all round game. By contrast Panthers last year had Egan and Katoa providing garbage service. No coincidence their middle forwards are going much better now with a quality dummy half. This then makes it easier for Cleary to run the show at halfback.

Upshot is we need to contain the middle and not allow then any roll on. Defend on our heels like we did against Cowboys and we're in trouble.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Kryptonite wrote:
Finchy wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:46 pm In fact, they've had a fantastic year so far looking at their results:

Current Ladder Position:

1. Panthers
2. Storm - win
3. Eels - 6 point loss (had them beat until Waqa Blake put on 3 tries in ten mins to sneak a win for the Eels)
4. Roosters - win
6. Sharks - win
8. Rabbitohs - win
9. Sea Eagles - win
10. Tigers - win
11. Dragons - win
12. Warriors - win
13. Cowboys - win
14. Titans - win

So they've lost 1 game all year, against a top 4 side, who they had beaten pretty easily if it weren't for clocking off for ten mins at the end of the game.

The only teams they haven't played yet are us, and the two teams coming last. So they've played the rest of the top eight, and teams ranked 9-14, and still only lost once. That's hardly had a dream run.
I stand corrected on the win / loss but they are the only premiership contender that have not HD injuries to key players, that’s luck I guess and their draw / travel is gifted to them in comparison to ours, point is it’s unlikely they won’t have some adversity from now until deep into the finals, good luck to Penrith, they have the best junior pathway system in the league and are well and truly due for a GF appearance, if not a win

Whilst they haven’t had season ending injuries they have still had plenty of injuries to key players.

Koroisau has possibly been the buy of the season and they have done it without him for the last two weeks.

Kikau has missed a couple of games.

Edwards whilst I don’t rate him highly is still a spine player

Whare would have been expected to start every match this year

To’o was talked about as the form winger at the start of the year

Capewell was one of their big off season signings.

And you can add a handful of fringe players to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Panthers have too many juniors that it's not fair.. should be shared or get another team out in the west
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Kryptonite wrote: August 3, 2020, 6:40 pm

Current Ladder Position:

1. Panthers
2. Storm - win
4. Roosters - win
6. Sharks - win
8. Rabbitohs - win
9. Sea Eagles - win
10. Tigers - win
11. Dragons - win
12. Warriors - win
13. Cowboys - win
14. Titans - win

I stand corrected on the win / loss but they are the only premiership contender that have not HD injuries to key players, that’s luck I guess and their draw / travel is gifted to them in comparison to ours, point is it’s unlikely they won’t have some adversity from now until deep into the finals, good luck to Penrith, they have the best junir pathway system in the league and are well and truly due for a GF appearance, if not a win
Fair point about the travel. They've only left Sydney once this year for a trip to Gold Coast. A less than impressive performance by them too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

RTW wrote: August 3, 2020, 6:50 pm
Kryptonite wrote:

Current Ladder Position:

1. Panthers
2. Storm - win
4. Roosters - win
6. Sharks - win
8. Rabbitohs - win
9. Sea Eagles - win
10. Tigers - win
11. Dragons - win
12. Warriors - win
13. Cowboys - win
14. Titans - win

Whilst they haven’t had season ending injuries they have still had plenty of injuries to key players.

Koroisau has possibly been the buy of the season and they have done it without him for the last two weeks.

Kikau has missed a couple of games.

Edwards whilst I don’t rate him highly is still a spine player

Whare would have been expected to start every match this year

To’o was talked about as the form winger at the start of the year

Capewell was one of their big off season signings.

And you can add a handful of fringe players to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Korisau only missed one game. Played on the weekend
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker on 100% Footy tonight on Nine.

https://twitter.com/NRLonNine/status/12 ... 2405574658
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote: August 3, 2020, 5:59 pm

There is no comparison.

And the Roosters
Yeah, that was pre-break. I'm just talking about their current run of form, to make a comparison with the situation last season when we also played them on a 7 game winning streak.

They are a good team, but I don't think our boys will be fearing them.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 3, 2020, 6:49 pm

There is no comparison.

Koroisau is the biggest upgrade for Panthers over last year. Under appreciated at Manly where they had Fainu pegged as their future. Fainu was amore dangerous runner but I always felt Koroisau had the better all round game. By contrast Panthers last year had Egan and Katoa providing garbage service. No coincidence their middle forwards are going much better now with a quality dummy half. This then makes it easier for Cleary to run the show at halfback.

Upshot is we need to contain the middle and not allow then any roll on. Defend on our heels like we did against Cowboys and we're in trouble.
Yep, Koroisau has been the buy of the season. If he gets their pack on the front foot it will be a long game for us.

I think we should account for their pack if we get an even share of the ball. IMO it's their cohesion in their backs and more consistent kicking game which worries me. On the whole, we have them for raw talent, but not for execution.

It's time we got our **** together and put in a decent 80 minute performance.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

There is no comparison.

I already pointed out RCG was playing poorly then. I said they wouldn't miss Maloney. Him not being there is a negative for us due to his poor defense during that game, and then you've mentioned another big upgrade that I left out... it's like you're making my point for me... Others have likewise pointed out why it's a much different team. I'll leave it at that.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I can’t see Cleary going after Wighton, but I can see Wighton going after Cleary.

Looking forward to the square up between Bateman and noodle head.

Lot to like about the build up to this game, hopefully it delivers.

I would start CHN at lock and save Tapine as bench prop with Sutton.

14 - Havali (Starling to start)
15 - Sutton
16 - Young
17 - Tapine

Young to lock after 25-30 and Havali on at the same time for his dummy half running with a fresh Young on his shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: August 3, 2020, 10:12 pm

There is no comparison.

I already pointed out RCG was playing poorly then. I said they wouldn't miss Maloney. Him not being there is a negative for us due to his poor defense during that game, and then you've mentioned another big upgrade that I left out... it's like you're making my point for me... Others have likewise pointed out why it's a much different team. I'll leave it at that.
Good chat! :lol:

All good, just engaging in discussion. You're right, there is clearly no comparison.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cranky Old Man wrote:I always enjoy watching Manly get screwed royally and so I enjoyed the referees performance the other night. I just hope we don't cop the same treatment!
That Yeo try was ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: August 4, 2020, 7:32 am
Cranky Old Man wrote:I always enjoy watching Manly get screwed royally and so I enjoyed the referees performance the other night. I just hope we don't cop the same treatment!

How so? Genuine question as I wasn't sure what to make of it.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I would say Penrith's best strength is their ability to create and take advantage of overlaps. Eg we had one on the weekend where Rapana threw a cutout to Croker, who dropped the ball. We had massive space and should have scored easily. Compare that to the beautiful ball from Tyrone May to put Naden over, when there wasn't even much on, or Cleary's floater to Charlie Staines. Jerome Luai regularly makes executes overlaps too, and has helped put Crichton over a lot. They have a series of guy who are skillful and brainy enough to see and execute overlaps. Whereas we are kind of "dumb" and try to score from nothing, even Wighton - looks cool when it comes off but their way is more reliable
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 4, 2020, 9:55 am I would say Penrith's best strength is their ability to create and take advantage of overlaps. Eg we had one on the weekend where Rapana threw a cutout to Croker, who dropped the ball. We had massive space and should have scored easily. Compare that to the beautiful ball from Tyrone May to put Naden over, when there wasn't even much on, or Cleary's floater to Charlie Staines. Jerome Luai regularly makes executes overlaps too, and has helped put Crichton over a lot. They have a series of guy who are skillful and brainy enough to see and execute overlaps. Whereas we are kind of "dumb" and try to score from nothing, even Wighton - looks cool when it comes off but their way is more reliable
Totally agree with that. Penrith are finishing their sets well and are really executing try scoring moves with cohesion and confidence.

I think CNK's involvement with the ball is an ongoing adjustment for our team and Wighton's passing game can be rocks and diamonds...or non-existent. It's definitely a point of difference between the two teams.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: August 4, 2020, 11:29 am
Canberra Milk wrote: August 4, 2020, 9:55 am I would say Penrith's best strength is their ability to create and take advantage of overlaps. Eg we had one on the weekend where Rapana threw a cutout to Croker, who dropped the ball. We had massive space and should have scored easily. Compare that to the beautiful ball from Tyrone May to put Naden over, when there wasn't even much on, or Cleary's floater to Charlie Staines. Jerome Luai regularly makes executes overlaps too, and has helped put Crichton over a lot. They have a series of guy who are skillful and brainy enough to see and execute overlaps. Whereas we are kind of "dumb" and try to score from nothing, even Wighton - looks cool when it comes off but their way is more reliable
Totally agree with that. Penrith are finishing their sets well and are really executing try scoring moves with cohesion and confidence.

I think CNK's involvement with the ball is an ongoing adjustment for our team and Wighton's passing game can be rocks and diamonds...or non-existent. It's definitely a point of difference between the two teams.
For balance you should look at Penrith's previous 2 games against Titans and Cowboys. Didn't look anywhere near as slick as they were against Manly. They were damn lucky neither team had the firepower to put them away. Much like our game on the weekend.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:

He was held up over the line, then twists completely over the other side of the tackler to plant the ball and it was called momentum. However, I am constantly amazed at how this scenario is regularly adjudicated. If you're held before the line and advance your position it is a penalty but if you're held up in goal you're able to fight and twist - sometimes for up to 5-10 seconds to get the ball down.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Gotta say there's a lot of negativity from some here about our side. I reckon we are a pretty decent football team. Guess some people are never happy.

That said, Panthers by 63.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

Hoping for a HSS selection in the 17 - really liked the look of him even based on one short stint, he passed the "eye test". Showed desire, aggression and talent which makes me confident he'll do well being thrown into the deep end against an in form team. The experience could be invaluable with Cotric moving on next year.

I rate him higher than Valemi and would have him in the team if both were fit.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: August 4, 2020, 12:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

He was held up over the line, then twists completely over the other side of the tackler to plant the ball and it was called momentum. However, I am constantly amazed at how this scenario is regularly adjudicated. If you're held before the line and advance your position it is a penalty but if you're held up in goal you're able to fight and twist - sometimes for up to 5-10 seconds to get the ball down.

I agree in theory. Tackle is completed IMO. Have to admit they've been fairly consistent in adjudicating this lately and just about every time call it a try. While I don't agree with the interpretation I'm happy with the outcome provided they maintain the consistency.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm very confident.
We rock up and do a job.
Get on bus and go home.
Look out Penwiff, ere we come.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Northern Raider wrote:

Right, that's consistent with the law of the game. The rule book clearly states it's penalty when you're *short* of the line and advance it. And if the ball hasn't contacted the ground, then the tackle is not complete
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 13 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 13 NRL teams: Raiders V Panthers

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Saturday August 8 7:35pm
Panthers Stadium
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s match against the Penrith Panthers at Panthers Stadium.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad will return from a finger injury at fullback, which sees Jordan Rapana shift back to the wing to replace the injured Semi Valemei.

Michael Oldfield has been named on the extended bench for the Raiders after overcoming a hamstring injury, in the only other change to the squad which defeated the Cowboys in round 12.

Canberra Raiders media

MATCH PREVIEW: Check out The GH's match preview of the Canberra Raiders clash with the Penrith Panthers. Team news, history, stat attack, key match-ups and more! All you need to know: http://ow.ly/A88350AOUl7

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Joe Tapine
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Sam Williams
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Kai O’Donnell
21. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Semi Valemei, Knee (Rd 16-17)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Rd 17-19)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, until at least Rd 19, possibly season)
Sia Soliola, Palate (Indefinite, until at least Rd 20, possibly season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Penrith Panthers

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Tyrone May
15. Spencer Leniu
16. Moses Leota
17. Zane Tetevano

18. Mitch Kenny
19. Matt Burton
20. Billy Burns
21. Daine Laurie

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Chris Butler, Todd Smith
Video referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Canberra Milk wrote: August 4, 2020, 2:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Right, that's consistent with the law of the game. The rule book clearly states it's penalty when you're *short* of the line and advance it. And if the ball hasn't contacted the ground, then the tackle is not complete
If the arm carrying the ball contacts the ground then the tackle is deemed complete. One case in point was the Titans opening try being disallowed on the weekend.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Right, ball or arm carrying the ball
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I actually agree with Gerg a bit on this
I think the time players get to try and force the ball when they're in the ingoal is utterly ridiculous sometimes. It's hard to write a rule to solve it though. Feels like as long as player is still thrashing around like an idiot the ref just lets them go until they give up or ground it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:I actually agree with Gerg a bit on this
I think the time players get to try and force the ball when they're in the ingoal is utterly ridiculous sometimes. It's hard to write a rule to solve it though. Feels like as long as player is still thrashing around like an idiot the ref just lets them go until they give up or ground it.
El Masri try in the 04 GF, no way that was a try

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 4, 2020, 11:48 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 4, 2020, 11:29 am

For balance you should look at Penrith's previous 2 games against Titans and Cowboys. Didn't look anywhere near as slick as they were against Manly. They were damn lucky neither team had the firepower to put them away. Much like our game on the weekend.
Yeah, I must admit of those two games I only saw the one against the Cowboys. It looks like they were lucky against the Titans after a decent start, although Koroisau was out.

Much like when we broke their streak last year, we're possibly getting them at a good time. They usually come out firing, so we really need to hold them for the first 20. In Penrith last year they really came out all guns blazing and we conceded an early try, but then clicked into gear.

To me it's pretty clear that posession will be king in this game. We've won a few over the last 2 years with less than 50% of the ball, but I can't see that happening this weekend.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

as expected team names itself

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: August 4, 2020, 3:54 pm I actually agree with Gerg a bit on this
Exactly, it's hard to solve. You could say a ref should call held earlier, but that will open up the risk of calling held just as the ball was about to be pushed down and it becomes fairly arbitrary... I'm happy how it is

When they've genuinely stopped (arguably El Masri 04) they should be called held but I'm ok with the Yeo one