Watching games numerous times

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Watching games numerous times

Post by 1992 »

When you watch a game a few times you start noticing things you did not see before.

Hudson Young and young Starling are an absolute ball of energy.
Love that they are there to keep the fire burning while the cooler heads do there thing.
Even if you just watch highlights or fast forward to our tries, it is worth focusing on what happens in the back ground of certain plays.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Watching Games Numerous Times

Post by Danaman137 »

Re watched the game last night, Hudson was actually massive. A lot of really strong carries back in against the grain and quick play the balls. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good thread. I'm not sure why people are so keen to relegate Young to the bench. I think the energy and involvement he brings to the team is similar to what Horsburgh brings. I really enjoy watching him play.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I've really been keen on Young the last few weeks, he's getting stronger all the time and puts in the whole game. He's turning into the sort of player we know he can be when he keeps his hands to himself. I think he'll develop nicely over the next year or so.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Look at who he is in competition with a full strength backrow. Pretty obvious why people could see him on the bench.
We're about to hit that with CHN and Bateman coming into the side.
The forward injuries could see Young holding onto a starting spot.
Tapine has been working well off the bench.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Watching games numerous times

Post by bonehead »

I don't rate young

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Young has had some nice moments but at this stage they've just been that, moments
Im yet to see him really impact the game beyond a play or two

he'd be our 4th edge behind Whitehead, JB and CHN. The more i think of it, the more i agree with Julian who said JB is tailor made to make huge impact as a lock with the new rules. So going forward this year, i think JB @ 13, CHN and Whitehead playing on the edges (once CHN has his legs back) and Young coming off the bench is the ideal scenario
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agree with botman 100%. I’m very happy with Young though. He’s really, really helped the team with his return. I don’t know whether the right edge defense being a bit better now is all him being a bit more agile than Tapine, Scott not being there or a combination of both. Probably the latter imo.

Stuart will have to use Young’s match fitness to his advantage though so I expect it to be a bit hodgepodge over the next 3-4 weeks. Need to win games but also need to get Bateman and CHN fit.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wont be shocked to see JB and CHN spending a little time playing some middle just to get some game time and match fitness into them.

VERY curious to see how the team gets named tomorrow.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

bonehead wrote: July 27, 2020, 7:01 pm I don't rate young

I do.
A player with the workrate of Young allows the more gifted attacking players to concentrateon what they do best, plus he inspires some confidence in the defensive line which I believe has happened since his return from suspension. I suspect he is not going to make ourr GF team when everybody is fit and raring to go, but he will be under serious consideration.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: July 27, 2020, 7:58 pm Young has had some nice moments but at this stage they've just been that, moments
Im yet to see him really impact the game beyond a play or two
Julian87
Agree with botman 100%. I’m very happy with Young though. He’s really, really helped the team with his return. I don’t know whether the right edge defense being a bit better now is all him being a bit more agile than Tapine, Scott not being there or a combination of both. Probably the latter imo.
Yep. Not much in attack from him yet but I'm not unhappy with his effort or potential as a mobile lock type. He's the kind I'd like to keep around the squad for a year or two fighting for a place vs others and see if he develops. I could see him and Havilii or he and Tapine sharing lock next season.

The other thing I noticed once again rewatching Souffs game was just Rapana. He's everywhere. All effort. Just fights to win everything. Keen to see him at FB again and see how much more influence his sheer personality has on a game. He's like CNK with effort but even more aggressive and intense.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cranky Old Man wrote:

I do.
A player with the workrate of Young allows the more gifted attacking players to concentrateon what they do best, plus he inspires some confidence in the defensive line which I believe has happened since his return from suspension. I suspect he is not going to make ourr GF team when everybody is fit and raring to go, but he will be under serious consideration.
I get that but I'm not seeing enough to think he's nrl quality. Doesn't run lines, doesn't bend the line, doesn't ball play, doesn't have an offload.
Plus he's he's 1 stray finger away from a career threatening suspension

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:53 pm
The other thing I noticed once again rewatching Souffs game was just Rapana. He's everywhere. All effort. Just fights to win everything. Keen to see him at FB again and see how much more influence his sheer personality has on a game. He's like CNK with effort but even more aggressive and intense.
Raps had a banger of a game before going off. His best for the club this year by a long long way.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's the thing with Rapana. People complain he has lost pace etc but he is still a damn good outside back for us, full of heart, and I was gutted when he left last year - so glad to have him back.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raps has been really great. One of those senior players that leads by example. I'm hoping that now with Cotric freeing up all that money next year, we can afford to extend both him and Oldy at least another year while we bed down Semi and HSS.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It was really clear in rewatching that our senior players really stepped up and did the little things that made the difference while the young players just did their jobs.

It makes such a big difference having a stable team with quality players to bring juniors into rather expecting a rookie to make the difference for the team.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Bonehead's right - you need to have something about your game and at the moment there doesn't seem to be much to Young's.

With most players fit he's a fringe first grader at best IMO. As soon as one of CHN or Jonneh are moderately fit they need to slot straight in there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:43 pm

I do.
I dare say the coach is pretty happy with what he's done while standing in for Bateman too. 49 tackles last week at a good efficiency. In our last two wins he's made more metres and tackles than Whitehead, who has also been outstanding.

He's the type of player that goes out and does what he's asked to do.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:43 pm

I do.
I dare say the coach is pretty happy with what he's done while standing in for Bateman too. 49 tackles last week at a good efficiency. In our last two wins he's made more metres and tackles than Whitehead, who has also been outstanding.

He's the type of player that goes out and does what he's asked to do.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's made about 200 tackles and missed 10 since he came back in.

Reminds me a bit of Fensom, solid in defence, no frills in attack

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You have to put me firmly in the “impressed with young Hudson Young hudson” too. Not sure why so many people aren’t, but I guess that’s football
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:You have to put me firmly in the “impressed with young Hudson Young hudson” too. Not sure why so many people aren’t, but I guess that’s football
Frank likes him. I have to agree with the cat.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:18 am
The Nickman wrote:You have to put me firmly in the “impressed with young Hudson Young hudson” too. Not sure why so many people aren’t, but I guess that’s football
You can't not agree with cats, they're too wise and jerkish to be disregarding.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
Exactly. They have claws.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
but here's the double negative, Dubby likes cats.

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:32 am
reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I assume he doesn't like the black ones though.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:32 am
reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:18 am Frank likes him. I have to agree with the cat.

I assume he doesn't like the black ones though.
Max is a black cat.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

I watched the game again (half drunk) and kept a close eye on Ryan Sutton.

He got listed as 58 tackles and playing almost 60 minutes. Does this sound right to everyone?
I thought he only played about 45 mins and didn’t make that many tackles.

I could be wrong so someone please correct me if am
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

luffraider wrote: July 28, 2020, 10:35 am I watched the game again (half drunk) and kept a close eye on Ryan Sutton.

He got listed as 58 tackles and playing almost 60 minutes. Does this sound right to everyone?
I thought he only played about 45 mins and didn’t make that many tackles.

I could be wrong so someone please correct me if am
Sounds about right. O' Donnel only got a 15 minute stint to start the game- replaced by Sutton who then played either side of halftime until almost the end of the match.

I didn't count his tackles but he was certainly getting stuck into his work.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If only he could learn to run a decoy that didn't result in a penalty.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: July 28, 2020, 6:08 am You have to put me firmly in the “impressed with young Hudson Young hudson” too. Not sure why so many people aren’t, but I guess that’s football
Thing I’m most impressed with is even though he’s very inexperienced at the top level, there’s barely a moment I can identify where he’s looking out of place.

Not fussed over the lack of flashes of brilliance, I’m just happy to see him doing his job solidly at this point in time.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Young is a very good First Grader and I'd put money on Ricky being a huge fan. I reckon he would have been in our Finals teams last year instead of Guler had he not been suspended.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Wiki Special wrote:Young is a very good First Grader and I'd put money on Ricky being a huge fan. I reckon he would have been in our Finals teams last year instead of Guler had he not been suspended.
Agreed. I also think that Ricky has asked players like young to focus on doing a job and playing a simple game. I’m sure he has nor capacity than what we are seeing at the moment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote: August 2, 2020, 8:38 am
Wiki Special wrote:Young is a very good First Grader and I'd put money on Ricky being a huge fan. I reckon he would have been in our Finals teams last year instead of Guler had he not been suspended.
Agreed. I also think that Ricky has asked players like young to focus on doing a job and playing a simple game. I’m sure he has nor capacity than what we are seeing at the moment.
Yeah, it's funny when particular people want to see something 'special' from players before rating them, but when the player comes in and clearly does everything required of him it's not good enough. Young was never expected to be John Bateman.

Interestingly, this is how Melbourne operate. Players come in and are asked to do a simple job well, leaving the trick shots to the players who are there to do the trick shots.

Can't have it both ways.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Exactly. Agree with the two posts above. The Storm are the benchmark because their coach gives the role players just that, roles to perform to help the team become consistently successful. I mean this with the utmost respect but Cooper Cronk is the epitome of this. It's just that he was a superstar at the roles he was given.