All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Raiders receive flu jab exemptions for Papalii and Tapine

Post by cat »

Papalii to be cleared for Cowboys trip after flu vaccine drama

The wounded Raiders are poised for a massive boost with representative prop Josh Papalii expected to have the flu vaccine which will allow him to travel to Queensland next week.

The Raiders have made an application for Tapine to be exempt and were awaiting approval from the Queensland government.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/papali ... 55fku.html
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Re: Papa expected to get the jab and play but not Tapine

Post by cat »

the article also says that Fanu Blake and the Dogs player both got the jab before being allowed in so I will be VERY surprised if Taps gets to play this weekend
Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

**** sake Taps, we're this strapped for injury and you think your stupid personal stance is more important? (Even leaving aside all the other reasons his decision is ****ed).
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2020, 7:42 pm **** sake Taps, we're this strapped for injury and you think your stupid personal stance is more important? (Even leaving aside all the other reasons his decision is ****ed).
I'm pro vax and struggle to understand people's reasons for not vaccinating but I if you have legit personal reasons (religion? allergy?) then I respect their right to chose. If its because it causes autism well I have news for him lol

In terms of the QLD government saying no to Taps coming then that doesnt make sense now considering anyone of us as long as we dont come from Victoria or one of the "dirty postcodes" can come into QLD without having the flu shot.
How is it more risky to have a non flu shot player in the state then a non flu shot "normal person" who has not been living in a bubble?

To me its just Annastasia wearing her big girl pants and proving mine is bigger then yours
Vaccinated
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Tapine please don't be this dumb
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I'm very much for people choosing and/or rejecting their own medical treatment.

And I realise this isn't a medical forum. But I worry when powers that be say "you need to have this needle or else!"

And then people start pointing the finger at those who refuse.

My genuine question is: The flu jab traditionally consists of the 3 or 4 most common strains of influenza from the previous Northern hemisphere winter season. (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

What protection does this give against Covid-19? Which is not a flu. Not to mention the other 1000 strains of flu out there?

Is there a reason why everyone is up in arms about all needing the flu jab now?

Im not being a Smart Alec, I may be missing something.

From my uneducated perspective I see it as a bit weird that now we have this CORONAvirus sweeping the world, the NRL and state govs say YOU BETTER GET THE (in) FLU (enza) SHOT!

Shoot me down if you wish. Just not with a flu needle 😁
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

teams generally try and get their players and staff to have the flu shot every year to try and prevent them from getting crook and missing games but they never make players or staff have the jab

I think what happened was the NRL put it in the proposal to the states to try and get the game back up and running. They pretty much added as much as they could to convince the states to let the game come back.

The NSW government have taken the sensible approach whilst the QLD premier has been proving she is the boss and better then us in all sorts of ways thus her refusal to allow the players in without the flu jab with no science or common sense behind her

As i said before other people can enter QLD now minus the flu jab and living in a bubble but she wont budge on a football player
Vaccinated
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's actually the Chief Medical Officer, not the premier. And the people not using science and common sense are Papalli and Tapine, not the CMO.

Influenza vaccination of players was offered as a condition of resumption of competition by the NRL to the states with the consent of the Players Association. The rationale is fairly obvious - we are trying to preserve hospital beds which includes minimising the risk of an influenza epidemic.

These players drew attention to themselves by refusing to sign a waiver at which point the CMO declared no jab no play.

They have no one but themselves to blame.
Last edited by Dr Zaius on July 26, 2020, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Tapine made up some nonsense about his religion forbidding chemicals in the body.

So, I assume his last few surgeries were without anaesthetic then? Or he doesn’t take antibiotics when he’s sick?

It’s all hypocritical crap.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Timbo wrote:Tapine made up some nonsense about his religion forbidding chemicals in the body.

So, I assume his last few surgeries were without anaesthetic then? Or he doesn’t take antibiotics when he’s sick?

It’s all hypocritical crap.
Or tats?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

They are being influenced by the wrong people. Simple as that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 26, 2020, 8:41 pm It's actually the Chief Medical Officer, not the premier. And the people not using science and common sense are Papalli and Rapine, not the CMO.

Influenza vaccination of players was offered as a condition of resumption of competition by the NRL to the states with the consent of the Players Association. The rationale is fairly obvious - we are trying to preserve hospital beds which includes minimising the risk of an influenza epidemic.

These players drew attention to themselves by refusing to sign a waiver at which point the CMO declared no jab no play.

fair enough when the border was shut but now that its open and non flu shot normal visitors are coming in how is it still a problem?

The players are going to have no contact with non NRL bubble people and if they were to get the flu would be treated in Canberra not QLD?

And out of curiosity considering the flu jab covers you for the flu strains in the northern hemisphere and with our borders shut and those coming home doing 2 weeks quarantine doesn't that pretty much prevent those strains of flu being around? I'm no doctor so i am curious :)

As I said I am not anti vax, I am fully immunized and get cranky I have to get re immunized these days due to non immunized people allowing polio , TB etc coming back.
But if you have a legit reason that is not based on false science such as religion well thats your choice. Bit like Jehaviour witnesses not having blood products, Muslims not having pork etc

If it was a vaccine for covid 19 then i can understand it being compulsory and when the border was shut i get it too to a certain extent but not now anyone can cross the border apart from Victoria and certain post codes
Vaccinated
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 8:55 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: July 26, 2020, 8:41 pm It's actually the Chief Medical Officer, not the premier. And the people not using science and common sense are Papalli and Rapine, not the CMO.

fair enough when the border was shut but now that its open and non flu shot normal visitors are coming in how is it still a problem?

The players are going to have no contact with non NRL bubble people and if they were to get the flu would be treated in Canberra not QLD?

And out of curiosity considering the flu jab covers you for the flu strains in the northern hemisphere and with our borders shut and those coming home doing 2 weeks quarantine doesn't that pretty much prevent those strains of flu being around? I'm no doctor so i am curious :)

As I said I am not anti vax, I am fully immunized and get cranky I have to get re immunized these days due to non immunized people allowing polio , TB etc coming back.
But if you have a legit reason that is not based on false science such as religion well thats your choice. Bit like Jehaviour witnesses not having blood products, Muslims not having pork etc

If it was a vaccine for covid 19 then i can understand it being compulsory and when the border was shut i get it too to a certain extent but not now anyone can cross the border apart from Victoria and certain post codes
Thanks Cat, your last 2 posts clarified it somewhat for me.

Well done.

I won't even be upset with you, given that I am in fact Jehovahs Witness.

:D

Now let's get back to footy!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

She made a call in the midst of the pandemic. Why would she change that? There's the possibility of what is happening in Victoria happening in Queensland. This pandemic is far from over.

Many work places have vaccination against influenza as a requirement of working in that environment. Comparing that to ensuring that the thousands of people that cross the NSW-QLD border everyday have had the fluvax is ridiculous.

They have a choice. They don't have to have it. They just can't play if they don't. Just like you can't work in aged care if you don't.

The strains put in the fluvax each year are the best guess of which strains will likely hit our shores. One factor is what strains were circulating in the northern hemisphere, though that's not the only consideration.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A player catching regular flu could see them and all their contacts quarantined and tested due to their symptoms. Getting the flu shot reduces the chance of this happening. Additionally people catching the flu have a reduced immune system making them more susceptible to other viruses e.g. Covid-19
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:A player catching regular flu could see them and all their contacts quarantined and tested due to their symptoms. Getting the flu shot reduces the chance of this happening. Additionally people catching the flu have a reduced immune system making them more susceptible to other viruses e.g. Covid-19
Both good points
cat
Laurie Daley

Re: Papalii to be cleared for Cowboys trip after flu vaccine drama

Post by cat »

Doc from a medical point of view i get your points but I can't see what impact it has on the state of Queensland if a player visits for less then 12hours , has no contact with people outside the bubble

As far as I can see its their premier having her high snd mighty pants on and declaring Queensland is superior and smarter then the rest of the country
Now I will accept they are smarter then Victoria but in terms of NSW we have been doing all the heavy lifting during this pandemic with the majority of all overseas passengers being quarantined here. And yes we have had a few spot fires because of Melbourne folk visiting but it has certainly not taken off out of control

If a player or team official choses not to have the jab for reasonable reasons such as recognised religious ones and the nrl are happy for them to play they should be allowed as far as i am concerned

As i said I'm not an anti vaxer but i do believe in freedom to practice religion and educated choice
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

casta66 wrote: July 26, 2020, 9:01 pm
cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 8:55 pm

Thanks Cat, your last 2 posts clarified it somewhat for me.

Well done.

I won't even be upset with you, given that I am in fact Jehovahs Witness.

:D

Now let's get back to footy!
i was close :roflmao
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cat can you please paraphrase your position on this? I'm seeing a lot of questioning of the logic but not clear on your point.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Sorry NR,

I believe within the current situation in QLD where tourists from other "clean " parts of the country are allowed in without the flu shot then if the NRL say the players can play ( as they do otherwise they wouldn't have played this weekend) then Tapine and Papa should be allowed to play on Saturday minus the flu jab.

In terms of should you be immunized i am pro vaccines and fully immunized including for overseas travel and obviously believe the need for and the science behind immunisation

And if you want to tell me you don't immunize due to the risk of Autism ect or you are a hippy and live of love and mung beans i don't agree BUT it is your choice

I also believe if your recognised religion doesn't support immunisation then that's your choice too as per witnesses and blood products, muslims and pork etc

Does that make it clear?
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It was presented by the NRL to each state government in their return to play plan.

As states can control entry, they can deny entry if conditions aren't met.

This is not a player choice thing, it's an agreement between the NRL and the governments

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The NRL entered an agreement with the qld government in order to play games in their state, including transfers from interstate. This agreement had many many conditions, one of which was the flu jab. The players association approved this. The players have been aware of this for months.

Now I’m resonably confident the CMO has far better things to do right now than reopen and amend agreements because a couple of players have an issue with getting a needle that all modern science has repeatedly proven is fine to have, regardless of what you read on Instagram.

If I go to qld today, I can stay the night. I can stay as long as I want. But the agreement with the qld government and NRL states that teams fly in/fly out, and have no contact with the public. This was included for risk mitigation, just as the jab was.

There were all sorts of conditions put in place to protect players, staff, the public and all stakeholders in this situation. The whole point was the NRL were seemed to be holding themselves to a significantly higher standard than the public. I don’t personally see any issue with them having to see it through. As much as I want Tarps to play, unless he has a reallllllllllly good reason for not getting the jab, I don’t think the agreement should be amended.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

As I said before, quite clearly I think, this has come from the CMO not the premier. It has nothing to do with the premier playing political games.

This decision was made in April. This was the promise of the NRL and the players association. She is holding them to account. She is not going to change her mind because they held out. You don't take prisoners in a pandemic.

Whether or not tourists have the jab is not policable. If you have seen the queue at the border, you are not paying attention. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

They have their religious freedom, although Tapine is just a garden variety, science denying antivaxxer. But their choices have potential implications for others, and grown ups need to accept that their decisions have consequences. There's a clear choice here. Get the jab, help protect your community and get to play. Don't get the jab and sit out the round.

I've no doubt that your opinion on this would be different if they weren't Raiders players.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

I can promise you my opinion would not change no matter what team they played for.
The NRL would have promised all players wear cotton undies if it meant the comp could restart

And if you believe this isnt political then you are not looking at the whole setting

Why were the afl teams allowed in without a jab? Cause they are putting hundreds of thousands dollars into Queensland and taking that money away from Victoria

Same with the motor racing

When you are looking at risk management there is no risk to Queensland allowing non immunized players in.

And to say it is impossible to expect visitors to have it based on the line to get into Queensland is wrong. It would simply be part of their on line permit they need to get before getting to the border

As i said i don't know the reasons behind Taps saying no. But if they are proper well educated and legit reasons then who am i to say he is wrong?
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 9:56 pm Sorry NR,

I believe within the current situation in QLD where tourists from other "clean " parts of the country are allowed in without the flu shot then if the NRL say the players can play ( as they do otherwise they wouldn't have played this weekend) then Tapine and Papa should be allowed to play on Saturday minus the flu jab.

In terms of should you be immunized i am pro vaccines and fully immunized including for overseas travel and obviously believe the need for and the science behind immunisation

And if you want to tell me you don't immunize due to the risk of Autism ect or you are a hippy and live of love and mung beans i don't agree BUT it is your choice

I also believe if your recognised religion doesn't support immunisation then that's your choice too as per witnesses and blood products, muslims and pork etc

Does that make it clear?
Kinda. I did ask you to paraphrase. :opps

NRL currently operates on number of exemptions based on meeting certain biosecurity measures. Do you believe these should be change to accommodate the personal choices of certain players?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

:P
cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 7:51 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2020, 7:42 pm **** sake Taps, we're this strapped for injury and you think your stupid personal stance is more important? (Even leaving aside all the other reasons his decision is ****ed).
I'm pro vax and struggle to understand people's reasons for not vaccinating but I if you have legit personal reasons (religion? allergy?) then I respect their right to chose. If its because it causes autism well I have news for him lol

In terms of the QLD government saying no to Taps coming then that doesnt make sense now considering anyone of us as long as we dont come from Victoria or one of the "dirty postcodes" can come into QLD without having the flu shot.
How is it more risky to have a non flu shot player in the state then a non flu shot "normal person" who has not been living in a bubble?

To me its just Annastasia wearing her big girl pants and proving mine is bigger then yours
How is religion "legit"?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 10:28 pm
cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 9:56 pm Sorry NR,

Does that make it clear?
Kinda. I did ask you to paraphrase. :opps

NRL currently operates on number of exemptions based on meeting certain biosecurity measures. Do you believe these should be change to accommodate the personal choices of certain players?
No I don't
But in terms of the bio security measure relating to flu jabs is it is prefered but not compulsory- otherwise the players wouldn't be able to play now

This is not an NRL bio security compulsory requirement , its a Queensland requirement

The Nrl bio security compulsory requirements include temp checks, covid tests, bubble living

A flu jab is a strong recommendation not a compulsory one, same as taking anti biotics and supplements programs. Taking a multi vitamin may limit your chance and speed your recovery from s cold but they can't make you take it
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:I can promise you my opinion would not change no matter what team they played for.
The NRL would have promised all players wear cotton undies if it meant the comp could restart

And if you believe this isnt political then you are not looking at the whole setting

Why were the afl teams allowed in without a jab? Cause they are putting hundreds of thousands dollars into Queensland and taking that money away from Victoria

When you are looking at risk management there is no risk to Queensland allowing non immunized players in.

And to say it is impossible to expect visitors to have it based on the line to get into Queensland is wrong. It would simply be part of their on line permit they need to get before getting to the border

As i said i don't know the reasons behind Taps saying no. But if they are proper well educated and legit reasons then who am i to say he is wrong?
What part of it was in the agreement the NRL put forward are you not getting?

If someone came to you with an agreement, you'd expect them to uphold every part of it.

What anyone else does or doesn't do is irrelevant

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

hrundi89 wrote: July 26, 2020, 10:30 pm :P
cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 7:51 pm

How is religion "legit"?
if you are a devout follower of your religion and your religion says no to immunisation then it is legit.

Same as witnesses saying no to blood products, do I agree with saying no to life saving blood? No but i respect their choice

Who am i to say their religion that they believe in is wrong and mine is right? Why is my faith stronger and more " correct" then theirs?
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 26, 2020, 10:38 pm
cat wrote:I can promise you my opinion would not change no matter what team they played for.

If someone came to you with an agreement, you'd expect them to uphold every part of it.

agreements are re negotiated based on changing situations all the time
That is the real world, pandemic or no pandemic

And considering Queensland is so quick to say how great they have done they obviously have plenty of spare time to chat to vlandys
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 10:45 pm

And considering Queensland is so quick to say how great they have done they obviously have plenty of spare time to chat to vlandys
So your point is the NRL should renegotiate the terms of the agreement because a couple of players won't comply.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 11:04 pm
cat wrote: July 26, 2020, 10:45 pm

So your point is the NRL should renegotiate the terms of the agreement because a couple of players won't comply.
Based on the fact that they are allowed to play everywhere else within the competition without the flu jab and the afl is living up there without the jab yes i do
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's the dumbest thing I've read on this forum

Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I'm with you Cat, it's not about protecting the spread of the virus or hospitals now, it's t then flexing I'm their muscle saying you and forcing ppl to comply even with the though the situation has changed.

Side story......What if I told you my Dr told me not to get the flu jab as I'm fit n healthy n had a long explation that I can't be bothered going into here as people don't actually care. Does thst make me dumb and uneducated?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why would Bryce Cartwright be allowed to play and not Tapine?

Does the rule only apply to quality players?