Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Raiders confident of flu jab exemptions for Papalii and Tapine

Post by Raiders666 »

Hazza wrote: July 30, 2020, 11:51 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 30, 2020, 9:12 am
Hazza wrote: July 30, 2020, 9:05 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 30, 2020, 8:56 am
simo wrote: July 30, 2020, 8:46 am

because our team is undermanned and their reasons, unless medical, are redundant.
Oh because of the game...I get it now.
Yeah pretty much. This is a Canberra Raiders rugby league Forum isn't it? All I care about is they're running out Saturday night, spare me the other BS.
Don't worry mate..Have you watched the Cowboys play this year?
Yep. Every game. Last couple of games they've been ok. We're certainly not good enough to just turn up expecting to win, and he's reasonably important member of our side wouldn't you say?
We are winning regardless so I'm not too fussed
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Both cleared to play. No worries.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Good news for the game, but a **** result overall. Idiots.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 30, 2020, 8:52 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 30, 2020, 8:00 am
Dr Zaius wrote: July 30, 2020, 7:45 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 30, 2020, 7:03 am You know that's not the point. The agreement was made at a time when borders were closed and the country was in lockdown, predicted to possibly continue until September.
As you know, I'm all for everyone getting the jab, and I'm not advocating for the agreement to be changed as that was the deal at the time.

I'm just appreciating the irony of this still being a requirement, given the recent reports of those two girls bringing COVID back into Queensland from Victoria with no questions asked...meanwhile NRL players are some of the least likely to contract the virus, let alone the flu.

It is what it is. As far as public health goes, the issue of whether Tapine and Papalii getting the flu shot must be the bottom of the list.
Yes and no. They are high profile. If the CMO had been happy for them to sign a waiver, if have been fine with that. If she changes her mind and will allow them to play without a jab, or medical exemption then I'm fine with that too.

What I'm not fine with is them pretending that they have a medical reason not to get the jab.

At the moment our second largest city is in lock down. People there are not staying home when tested positive, arguing about wearing a face mask for gods sake, and flouting checkpoints. Two women have reintroduced covid into the Queensland community by lying on their declaration forms.

We all have our role to play. When even a small number of people don't play that role, as per the examples above, the misery is prolonged for everyone.

Public health measures are incremental. Unless they develop a highly effective vaccine, there is no magic bullet. Masks alone won't stop the spread but they help. Washing hands won't stop the spread, but it helps. Staying 1.5m from people won't stop the spread but it helps. Fluvax isn't going to stop the spread, but it helps as discussed many, many times, which is why we have all been encouraged to do it.

Across the country we have a situation where people acting out of their own self interests have put other people's health and financial security at risk. We have two footballers who intend to EDIT. This is not an example that we should be okay with given what is going on. Behaviour like this is cancerous, flouting public health directives to serve one's own interests, is exactly why this country is not Covid free at the moment, and it needs to be called out.

I can tell you that the mood amongst health professionals, as we here of our colleagues getting admitted to ICU in Melbourne, is that we are sick of it.
Yep, not disagreeing with any of that. I'm not going to presume what Papalii's or Tapine's actual reasons are, or what their doctor has done or said, so I'm not going to comment on that. I'm not sure anyone here knows that detail.

If they don't get the jab and aren't allowed to play I'm happy for that too. I wasn't advocating for them breaking the rules.

Just pointing out the irony of requiring a small number of people having additional requirements imposed on them, when they are the least likely to be sick. Just a comment. :)
The NRL is operating under a bunch of exemptions from rules that apply to the general public. There are a set of requirements the NRL must meet in order to operate this way. That's all there is to it. No irony at all.
I'm totally fine with it. The irony isn't about playing in accordance with the agreed rules, it's about the fundamental risks of NRL players catching and spreading the flu to the general public while operating in a bubble designed to stop the spread of COVID.

Don't get me wrong. These guys spend their careers visiting sick kids and interacting with the public. They should be getting the fluvax every year, unless there is a medical reason not to. In which case, they shouldn't be visiting sick kids etc.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Common sense prevails
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders receive flu jab exemptions for Papalii and Tapine

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders receive influenza vaccination exemptions from Queensland Government, cleared to play North Queensland Cowboys

It's the good news the Canberra Raiders have been waiting for. And waiting. And waiting. Thankfully it arrived before Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine boarded the plane to fly to Townsville to play the Cowboys on Saturday.

The Raiders duo were granted medical exemptions on Thursday to allow them to play in Queensland without getting vaccinated for influenza.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Club statement

Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine have been cleared by the Queensland Government to travel and play matches in Queensland.

They have both received exemptions on medical grounds. The club will be making no further comment on this matter due to the privacy regarding the medical exemptions.

Canberra Raiders media release
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bryce Cartwright refered them the a good doctor.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

:clap: :thumbsup
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Doctor Andrew Gee.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 30, 2020, 3:31 pm Don't get me wrong. These guys spend their careers visiting sick kids and interacting with the public. They should be getting the fluvax every year, unless there is a medical reason not to. In which case, they shouldn't be visiting sick kids etc.
Exactly this. We all loved that fluff piece about Papa, how he has the photos of the sick kids up in locker, how he goes and sees them. But those sick kids are incredibly vulnerable...and now we know Papa doesn't believe in protecting them by getting a simple ******* needle.

I'm still extremely mad at both of them.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: July 30, 2020, 5:39 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 30, 2020, 3:31 pm Don't get me wrong. These guys spend their careers visiting sick kids and interacting with the public. They should be getting the fluvax every year, unless there is a medical reason not to. In which case, they shouldn't be visiting sick kids etc.
Exactly this. We all loved that fluff piece about Papa, how he has the photos of the sick kids up in locker, how he goes and sees them. But those sick kids are incredibly vulnerable...and now we know Papa doesn't believe in protecting them by getting a simple ******* needle.

Me too, what an absolutely ludicrous and avoidable situation.

The NRL should've dug its heels in and made them both stay home.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The only listed contraindication, and therefore reason for medical exemption is anaphylaxis to a previous fluvax or component of fluvax.

Anaphylaxis is not something people generally forget. It's astonishing that Cartwright, Papalli and Tapine all remembered their previous reaction when push came to shove. I'm sure that most people can connect the dots here.

I'd have more respect to them if they stuck to their principles, no matter how misguided, and sat out the game. I'm really disappointed with the club.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

raiderskater wrote:

They wouldn't be welcome on my ward
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 30, 2020, 6:35 pm The only listed contraindication, and therefore reason for medical exemption is anaphylaxis to a previous fluvax or component of fluvax.

Anaphylaxis is not something people generally forget. It's astonishing that Cartwright, Papalli and Tapine all remembered their previous reaction when push came to shove. I'm sure that most people can connect the dots here.

I'd have more respect to them if they stuck to their principles, no matter how misguided, and sat out the game. I'm really disappointed with the club.
Yeah, that's how I feel too. This whole thing stinks, and we shouldn't be excusing this type of behaviour just because they play for our team.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The fluvax crowd is honestly a million times worse than the anti-vax crowd.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:33 am The fluvax crowd is honestly a million times worse than the anti-vax crowd.
Hahaha define the "fluvax" crowd??
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

yay Nickman destroyer of forums is back
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

DCIAC, HNL!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raiders_Pat wrote:The fluvax crowd is honestly a million times worse than the anti-vax crowd.
You need to go read a few antivax websites. They are the type of people who knock on the door of families with dead babies demanding to see autopsy reports.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... b52851d7df

Last edited by Dr Zaius on July 31, 2020, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Is fluvaxx crowd the new clique? I want in.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BadnMean wrote:Is fluvaxx crowd the new clique? I want in.
We are very cool Image.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:45 pm
We are very cool Image.
Can channel some of your Big Farmer dollars in funding it?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
We are very cool Image.
I'm channelling that all into my super yacht in the Bahamas
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:57 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
We are very cool Image.
I'm channelling that all into my super yacht in the Bahamas
Yeah, I guess maintenance on those things is quite high. Should still be enough left over for the Fluvaxx cause.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Anyone wondering why I'm passionate about this, do yourself a favour and read this article. I know the family featured. I've also looked after a baby in intensive care with whooping cough. It's a cruel way to die.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:59 pm Anyone wondering why I'm passionate about this, do yourself a favour and read this article. I know the family featured. I've also looked after a baby in intensive care with whooping cough. It's a cruel way to die.

That's grotesque.
Those sort of people should be ashamed of themselves.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:59 pm Anyone wondering why I'm passionate about this, do yourself a favour and read this article. I know the family featured. I've also looked after a baby in intensive care with whooping cough. It's a cruel way to die.

That's grotesque.
Those sort of people should be ashamed of themselves.
Should be. Aren't.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Still keen on the definition of "fluvax crowd' and what makes them *checks notes* "a million times worse than the anti-vax crowd"

This outta be good
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I wonder over the years with all the hospital visits they have done, without a flu jab....how many children they have killed....murdered even.....

Or maybe if they were sick they stayed home??

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 4:32 pm Still keen on the definition of "fluvax crowd' and what makes them *checks notes* "a million times worse than the anti-vax crowd"

This outta be good
Do you mean "ought to"?

This Nickman fellow seems to be getting dumber by the minute I've really never seen anything quite like it.

...but i'm not really free to talk right now.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bennyinthewest wrote:I wonder over the years with all the hospital visits they have done, without a flu jab....how many children they have killed....murdered even.....

You do realise that you can transmit influenza before you have symptoms (pre-symptomatic) or can have influenza with no to minimal symptoms (asymptomatic) don't you?

You do also realise that children's wards usually contain immunosuppressed kids (e.g. on chemo) and children who have complex medical conditions (e.g. cerebral palsy and cystic fibrosis), both groups who are actually high risk of dying from influenza.

Clearly you don't realise that or else you wouldn't post condescending comments directed at people who do.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Bennyinthewest wrote:I wonder over the years with all the hospital visits they have done, without a flu jab....how many children they have killed....murdered even.....

You do realise that you can transmit influenza before you have symptoms (pre-symptomatic) or can have influenza with no to minimal symptoms (asymptomatic) don't you?

You do also realise that children's wards usually contain immunosuppressed kids (e.g. on chemo) and children who have complex medical conditions (e.g. cerebral palsy and cystic fibrosis), both groups who are actually high risk of dying from influenza.

Clearly you don't realise that or else you wouldn't post condescending comments directed at people who do.
Serious question Dr, how can anyone (non family celibrity) ever visit them then?

Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

And for the record Dr, my gripe isn't with you, it's with the people on here that question...no no question, state that Sia is a terrible human for not having his shot n all the people he put in danger.

The amount of great community work he does is nothing short of amazing, and people on here who lost of would do stuff all bag him out.

Go raiders

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bennyinthewest wrote:And for the record Dr, my gripe isn't with you, it's with the people on here that question...no no question, state that Sia is a terrible human for not having his shot n all the people he put in danger.

The amount of great community work he does is nothing short of amazing, and people on here who lost of would do stuff all bag him out.

Go raiders Image

Yeah no fair, it's a complex problem. Some of them are terrible people, really terrible people. Read that link I posted before.

Do I think that Sia is a terrible person? No. I honestly don't know his reasons, I'm pretty sure about the other two and have no doubt about Cartwright. Misguided maybe. Probably not that bright and easily influenced

The people that I have a problem with are the ones that spread the misinformation. People that get on social media comments posting BS. And particularly people like Taylor Winterstein who spread misinformation for profit.

On your previous question, well I guess we just assume that the celeb type visitors have done the right thing. But knowing that they don't immunise, well that takes assumption out of it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

An analogy Benny.

If I deliver food to the homeless but all my deliveries I’m driving drunk wouldn’t I deserve criticism even though I’m doing charity work. Ideally I’d give up the grog and still do the deliveries but until I do quit I should stop the charity work because of the danger I’m putting others in.

Doing charity is great but if your doing so is endangering others then you should probably stop.

Edit: I should say I don’t think most anti vaxxers are bad people they’ve just been misled with dangerous ideas.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.