Cowboys 13+
No votes

Total votes: 20

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: 2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: July 28, 2020, 7:00 pm I’m going to keep banging this drum....

As a collective we need to tone down the CHN expectations short term. Maybe even for this entire season realistically. I’m of the opinion that he is a great player and just about the perfext Bateman replacement but....

He hasn’t even trained with a football team for 5 months. He will definitely be off the pace. That break is bigger than what anyone has between end of season and normal pre season and he has to play NRL first week back. I’m glad he is straight in but I’ll be disappointed if I see Canberra fans having a dig at potential poor performances straight up.

In a normal circumstance he would 100% spend 2-4 weeks punching out 80 mins in NSW Cup for match fitness and we don’t have that option.
Agree. Add to that he's only been around the boys for a matter of minutes - he'll need some time to simply get comfortable around the group, form combinations, and understand the way we play.

Ideally we'd give him a good 2-3 weeks to feel his way into it, but we simply don't have that right now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

North Queensland Cowboys prop Josh McGuire found guilty, misses match against Canberra Raiders

Cowboys forward Josh McGuire will be suspended this round after being found guilty of a dangerous contact charge at the judiciary on Tuesday. McGuire was hit with a grade one charge of making dangerous contact to the head or neck of Sea Eagles five-eighth Cade Cust.

Cowboys winger Kyle Feldt (contrary conduct charge over a 12th-minute incident involving Cust) and forward Mitchell Dunn (tripping) both took the early plea and accepted $550 fines.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/24/round-11-charges/

Cavalry on the way: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton welcomes the prospect of Corey Harawira-Naera and John Bateman taking to the field: viewtopic.php?p=1746784#p1746784

VIDEO: New recruit makes first impression: Canberra Raiders players Ryan Sutton and Dunamis Lui talk about their new teammate Corey Harawira-Naera: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/28/new ... mpression/
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

That’s handy for us

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Surely we can improve our +
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This has a very same game last year feel about it

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I watched the Cowboys game last weekend. Their backs might be inexperienced, but the young fullback and winger both put on brilliant solo tries. They've potential make us look stupid if we underestimate them.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep some emerging talent at the Cowboys. Their pure speed and agility will trouble us.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

I would have kept Harley but can understand it was probably a heads up call for Ricky. This is Scott's chance to show hes not a fish. Bateman will no doubt help his defence. Potential suck out game for Raiders. A scare game for us, cowboys are the underdog. We can win when the chips are down but can we tag the Cowboys or will we go bust?

Minigame. If you like the texture of this post how many poker references were made? Winner gets a brown paper bag from uncle Nick
Last edited by Finite on July 28, 2020, 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Might take Bateman a couple of rounds to get up to speed and Young has been doing a better job than Taps, but I agree.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Gotta love Dunamis's attitude, likeable guy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I do not get the extreme hatr for Scott. He was good in the first 2 games and dropped in form after.
His attitude will be shown over the next few games.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Just worried about the travel with this one. Do they need to get a bus to Sydney, flight to Brissy then drive up to Townsville?!

In all seriousness is it a chartered direct flight to Townsville does anyone know?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:30 pm Might take Bateman a couple of rounds to get up to speed and Young has been doing a better job than Taps, but I agree.
I think Taps would have been a pretty great edge player if he was stuck there from an early time, but he's definitely more suited to the middle now.
Young is doing his job as an edge defensively and flashing sporadicaly in attack... gotta persevere with him and see but i think the club going after CHN is probably a good sign that whilst they thought he might be a direct replacement for Bateman, they are probably now thinking more development and he can hopefully replace Whitehead in 1-2 years
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

So much stronger than our team last week. Plus they had Miguire suspended. We should win this one.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Taps was great if you're looking for an attacking edge. Just can't have him on the same side as guys that can have their bad days in defense. Austin and Leilua then Scott. They relied on an inside guy making their job a lot easier.
As the game speeds up too he's just that touch too slow to turn or get up out wide.
It seems to be trending that way with Young, but for me I haven't seen enough from him with the ball to think he's worth a first choice second row spot. Hopefully he develops that. With his reduced skill set I see him more as a lock. Run that hard back through the middle line. Tackle hard. Get that quick play the ball.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

IBG wrote:Just worried about the travel with this one. Do they need to get a bus to Sydney, flight to Brissy then drive up to Townsville?!

In all seriousness is it a chartered direct flight to Townsville does anyone know?
I'd assume so, it's a chartered jet through alliance airlines

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

1992 wrote:I do not get the extreme hatr for Scott. He was good in the first 2 games and dropped in form after.
I agree, some of the hate has become quite deranged.

And then of course there are the unsubstantiated rumors which a few people are taking as actual fact.

Anyway, lets hope he can put a good performance in this week, although anything other than single handedly winning us the game will not stop the vultures from picking apart any small mistake

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

IBG wrote:Just worried about the travel with this one. Do they need to get a bus to Sydney, flight to Brissy then drive up to Townsville?!

There's no way it wouldn't be direct.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

It’s beyond me why Scott has made the side. He has an attitude problem which you see in his effort in games and so it doesn’t fit the culture at the club. All our good work in defence will be completely unravelled with his inclusion. I’m penciling a loss in now for this game, his defence is that bad
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Last time I drove from Brisbane to Townsville it took 17 hours so I sincerely doubt that's on the table.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

How well does Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker know Jarrod Croker? | The Fan #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

via @YouTube
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raider Azz wrote:
1992 wrote:I do not get the extreme hatr for Scott. He was good in the first 2 games and dropped in form after.

And then of course there are the unsubstantiated rumors which a few people are taking as actual fact.

Anyway, lets hope he can put a good performance in this week, although anything other than single handedly winning us the game will not stop the vultures from picking apart any small mistake

You obvousily didn’t watch the games since the return from Covid-19
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider Azz wrote: July 28, 2020, 9:25 pm

There's no way it wouldn't be direct.

NRL bubble wouldn't allow them to travel on public flights.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Tarps has been superb in the middle lately. Big yards. Some nice shoulder in the hits and just about kept his discipline.

Young has been solid on the edge. FG standard. Better D, quietish offense but acceptable for a young player.

Curtis Scott... Well let's just see if he continues to contribute the least of the back 5 + errors every week or if he finds something else. I liked what I saw from HSS.

Interesting to see Bateman. I suspect he'll be a tornado of mayhem, gas out, make an error or two but continue to influence the game. He's a scrapper but a return game in NQL will test his motor.

Interesting to see if CHN takes middle minutes with Young or edge minutes with Bateman.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'd almost expect Bateman and CHN to spend a half each on the right edge.

Also very keen to see how Rapana will go with a full game at the back. Get the feeling that we may see some more points
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Raider Azz wrote: July 28, 2020, 9:23 pm

I'm with you two. He made some defensive errors in running out of the line too early, or should I say fruitlessly, but he was trying. He may not run that fast with the ball in hand either. He may not look like a battlecruiser, and he may not run like one, but I can't say he's not put in when called on. I can't comment on his actual tackling effort because a) I wouldn't know anyway, and b) he didn't seem any more hopeless than anyone else in the grand scheme of things.

But I have a feeling that he's being hung out to dry by people here for no particularly good reasons. A bit of time to get used to his teammates might be in order. Now he's back, we'll have a better idea of his effort. But so far he doesn't deserve the approbrium.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

To state the obvious, in the past 5 weeks we've played the Eels, Dragons, Storm, Roosters and Rabbitohs. We could have won all 5 of those games and really should have beaten the Storm.

After such a tough period, this game is a real danger for us. Hopefully the inclusion of Bateman and CHN keeps us fresh and motivated.

If we make less errors than them, there is no reason why we should lose this game. We just have to keep our heads. Their defence sucks, so our biggest risk is getting ahead of ourselves and losing our structure and patience in attack.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

There’s a Mathew Croker on the Knights extended bench this week. Anyone know if he’s a relation to Jason/Jarrod/Lachlan?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:13 am There’s a Mathew Croker on the Knights extended bench this week. Anyone know if he’s a relation to Jason/Jarrod/Lachlan?
Don’t know... at a guess, probably not.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/tea ... tt-croker/
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:25 am
Finchy wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:13 am There’s a Mathew Croker on the Knights extended bench this week. Anyone know if he’s a relation to Jason/Jarrod/Lachlan?
Don’t know... at a guess, probably not.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/tea ... tt-croker/
:lol: thanks, I should have looked up his ethnicity before asking the question
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was going more on the location of his family, could be related on one side of the family still.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think he's related to Michael Crocker...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

LastRaider wrote: July 28, 2020, 9:49 pm It’s beyond me why Scott has made the side. He has an attitude problem which you see in his effort in games and so it doesn’t fit the culture at the club. All our good work in defence will be completely unravelled with his inclusion. I’m penciling a loss in now for this game, his defence is that bad
Lol negative Nancy at your best
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

There's got to be a sunk cost fallacy going on here, surely? I mean, if Scott was on minimums, would anyone be saying "oh great, let's put this guy in front of Harley...sure, Harley looks to be a gun in the one game he's played and Scott has played like a damp squib in the last 5 games he's played, but let's give Scott another go"?

But no, Ricky took the punt on him, we're stuck paying his considerable salary, so now we should keep playing him in the forlorn hope that he'll come good? Sunk cost.

Dumb.

If you're serious about playing our best side, you cannot pick a player that is demonstrably worse than another player who is ready to play. Scott has played demonstrably worse than every other centre in the NRL (with the possible exception of Montoya) and Harley showed last week that he's not overawed by the NRL, and that he's likely to be as much of a gun in NRL as he was in the juniors. The only rationale in playing Scott is to try to rehabilitate an incorrect buy...to try to prove the naysayers wrong. We sorely need speed in our backline...and Harley has speed to burn...why are we not playing him?
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

amiafish wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:52 am There's got to be a sunk cost fallacy going on here, surely? I mean, if Scott was on minimums, would anyone be saying "oh great, let's put this guy in front of Harley...sure, Harley looks to be a gun in the one game he's played and Scott has played like a damp squib in the last 5 games he's played, but let's give Scott another go"?

But no, Ricky took the punt on him, we're stuck paying his considerable salary, so now we should keep playing him in the forlorn hope that he'll come good? Sunk cost.

Dumb.

If you're serious about playing our best side, you cannot pick a player that is demonstrably worse than another player who is ready to play. Scott has played demonstrably worse than every other centre in the NRL (with the possible exception of Montoya) and Harley showed last week that he's not overawed by the NRL, and that he's likely to be as much of a gun in NRL as he was in the juniors. The only rationale in playing Scott is to try to rehabilitate an incorrect buy...to try to prove the naysayers wrong. We sorely need speed in our backline...and Harley has speed to burn...why are we not playing him?
Yes, yes. Harley will get a full 80 and be underdone from no match fitness and make some errors and this place will start looking at where to shop him.