Cowboys 13+
No votes

Total votes: 20

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2020 Rd 12 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: July 30, 2020, 6:57 pm Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton emerges as an Indigenous leader

Jack Wighton has caught the Raiders off guard with his critical comments on the club's 2020 Indigenous jersey.

"The game's come a long way that people are allowed to do that," Raiders board member Katrina Fanning said. "It's important he feels like he can voice that when he has an issue with it and that we'll listen to it. I'm sure we'll talk with Jack and what voice he wants to have through the Raiders on Indigenous matters. We'll create those pathways for him."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'We ticked a box': Wighton blasts Raiders' Indigenous Round jersey: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-tic ... 55gq8.html

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton blasts own club over ‘lazy’ Indigenous jersey design: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 336bf17c53

Canberra star's blistering attack on own club over Indigenous round jersey: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... f96cf85c2e

VIDEO: Havili: I'm working on improving my game: Siliva Havili is enjoying playing regularly in the Raiders side once again and admits that he's working hard on the training field to improve different aspects of his game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/30/cow ... -round-12/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Cowboys: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34152

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... v-cowboys/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/27/cow ... o.1-issue/

VIDEO: Matthew Elliott and Jamie Soward preview the Saturday night game between North Queensland Cowboys and Canberra Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/30/cow ... -round-12/
Perfect response. Wighton showing great leadership by having a voice when he has an issue. Club accepting error and offering pathways to rectify
Dont delete this GE
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’m not a huge fan of our jersey, however I’d like to reserve judgement until I see it on the players.

Good to see Souths have the Torres Strait Islanders flag colours on their jersey as well. Often ignored when referring to Indigenous Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Dusty wrote: July 30, 2020, 9:11 pm I’m not a huge fan of our jersey, however I’d like to reserve judgement until I see it on the players.

Good to see Souths have the Torres Strait Islanders flag colours on their jersey as well. Often ignored when referring to Indigenous Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Dead right there!! We always miss out. Although we are one people there is two indigenous banners flying under the Aussie flag.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

How about we do a remember the time when china created a virus jersey and **** a lot of peoples lives jersey.... Excellent timing Jack.
This place is woke.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Question wrote: July 31, 2020, 3:41 am How about we do a remember the time when china created a virus jersey and **** a lot of peoples lives jersey.... Excellent timing Jack.
**** haha
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Fair enough from Jack.

I actually feel the same way when he does his weekly float over the sideline in the full
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'll wait to hear from cat and dubby regarding the design of the jersey before I decide which side of the debate I'm going to come down on.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It's hard to judge this without knowing the full story behind it. I'd imagine that for any jersey the design would need to be completed months before the date to ensure production. I wouldn't know whether this is done during the off season, earlier this season or even last year. If it was done over the past couple of months it would have been much more difficult to consult with players.

Good on Wighton for speaking his mind, it would definitely be good to have Indigenous players involved in the design of the jersey and no doubt the club will ensure that does happen next year.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Is anyone else worried about this game? After really aiming up hard against tough opposition 2 weeks in a row I am still more worried about games that we are expected to win.

While the Cowboys defence has been pretty awful this year they have put together the occasional very good game. If we show up thinking that is all we need to do we will get rolled here.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:50 am Is anyone else worried about this game? After really aiming up hard against tough opposition 2 weeks in a row I am still more worried about games that we are expected to win.

While the Cowboys defence has been pretty awful this year they have put together the occasional very good game. If we show up thinking that is all we need to do we will get rolled here.
Not at all for some reason, and I've had a pretty bad feeling most of the season.

I reckon we get away with this one, and do it quite easily too, Pick.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

pickles wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:50 am Is anyone else worried about this game? After really aiming up hard against tough opposition 2 weeks in a row I am still more worried about games that we are expected to win.

Have you seen the Cowboys side haha...If we lose to that mob I'll kill myself...seriously haha
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

My only concern would be energy. But given the inclusions of Bateman, CHN, Scott plus Rapana playing fullback - they shouldn’t be too short on energy and effort.

I don’t think there will be an ambush like what happened in the knights game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:46 am It's hard to judge this without knowing the full story behind it. I'd imagine that for any jersey the design would need to be completed months before the date to ensure production. I wouldn't know whether this is done during the off season, earlier this season or even last year. If it was done over the past couple of months it would have been much more difficult to consult with players.

Good on Wighton for speaking his mind, it would definitely be good to have Indigenous players involved in the design of the jersey and no doubt the club will ensure that does happen next year.
It's been on sale since early June, and it would have many months worth of lead time. In pure design terms, I like the jersey, and the purple and the green go well together. But I must agree with Jack Wighton that the jersey design should reflect the input and views of the Indigenous players at the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Captain's run: Raiders V Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... v-cowboys/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

CHN sporting that power hair cut. Hope CNK is taking notice.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:53 am

Not at all for some reason, and I've had a pretty bad feeling most of the season.

I'm positive, that's what makes me worried! It's the type of game we underestimate and go through the motions.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bateman and CHW adds energy and doesn't leave us with too many players without match fitness!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I've seen plenty of quality Raiders teams go up there and have their pants pulled down, however this time I expect the enthusiasm of Starling, Bateman, CHN and Valemei to overcome any sense of complacency.

The big risk here is being impatient with the ball. If we try to score off every set we could lose our way. Wighton and Williams need to take control.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dumb and dumber.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New faces give Canberra Raiders a boost: Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart believes the return of John Bateman and the arrival of Corey Harawira-Naera are just the boost his team needs, as the Green Machine finalises preparations for Saturday night's clash with the North Queensland Cowboys.

"A couple of new additions to the squad creates a bit more energy. Corey is excited and so is John to be back. Half way through the competition, it gives you a little bit of a boost when you've got a couple of new faces. They're going to be great additions," Stuart said.

"It's nice to get some more numbers up, more troops in, because of the injuries we've had. But I think the big quality of our footy squad is the number of boys who have utility value. They have the ability to play in a number of positions."

"I think Nick Cotric played in three positions last week, started at centre, went to the wing and played some fullback."

"Jordan Rapana can two or three different positions. If you ask Rapa, he'd probably say he can play five or six."

"The ability of players to fill in, and do a good job when they fill in, has been a credit to the individuals and the squad itself."

Stuart says Harawira-Naera has arrived in good physical condition, despite the fact he hasn't had any game time in 2020 so far. But the coach was not certain when CHN would be injected into the game on Saturday night or how many minutes he'd play.

"We'll just wait and see how the game unfolds. We'll get him on at stage stage and get him some time. He hasn't had a great deal of training, so we'll see how many minutes he gets out," Stuart said.

"He's very professional towards his preparation. You can tell with a footy player, in how he prepares, how important it is to him."

"He's fitted straight into the squad... very well as a person and from a playing point of view, his professionalism towards his training and they way he's handled the new environment around him, our systems and the way we play the game. It's noticeable he knows the game. He's a quality athlete."

Stuart confirmed that the club is on the cusp of signing Gold Coast Titans prop, Ryan James.

"I don't think it's too far away. I've spoken to Ryan a number times over the last two or three weeks," Stuart said.

"I've known Ryan since he's been a young player, He's a quality guy and he'll be a great addition."

Stuart says he doesn't have to sell the club anymore to high quality players like James. Players want to come, because years of dedication - from the players and those behind the scenes - have built a very good football club.

"Years ago, it was very hard to sit down with a manager of a high quality player that actually had any interest in the club. Now we've got managers ringing us."

"That's nice, but that comes back to all the hard work that Don and his commercial team do, all the hard work my players do. The environment that we create here is a football environment. It's a great football club. I don't have to sell it anymore, because people know it."

"The big thing that we have now, when we're looking at recruiting, is the fact that we have got choice. And that's of real benefit when you're trying to build a roster."

The North Queensland Cowboys are in 12th place on the ladder. They have just lost their head coach Paul Green, and have their own worries with injury and suspension. But Ricky Stuart is wary that the Cowboys might bounce back on Saturday night.

"They'll be a football team trying to impress an new coach. They've got a lot of young players and a lot of good football talent in the youth that they've got."

"They've got a big mobile forward pack, who make a lot of metres with the ball up through the middle. That's where a lot of games are won. We need to handle their big men early."

"We have another tough road trip. Teams have started poorly up there after a long flight, so it is important we handle the flight and the day moving into the game. We have a 10 o'clock flight tomorrow morning, then a four hour preparation going into the game. We need to start the game well."

Ricky Stuart stood behind five eighth Jack Wighton, after some controversy emerged yesterday over the Raiders' Indigenous jersey, which will be worn in Townsville. Stuart said no disrespect was intended to the Indigenous artist, Lynnice Church, whose work appears on the jersey.

"He's very passionate about his culture. I think his comments were a lot harsher written than what they actually were said," Stuart said.

"Jack cares and he has an opinion. It was great that he sat down with Katrina Fanning yesterday and discussed those opinions because she's a quality lady and understands it from Jack's side."

"But at no time was he trying to be disrespectful or rude to Mrs Church. Lynnice has done a wonderful job on the design of our jumper. She should be very proud of what she's done."

A report for The Greenhouse

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs Jack Wighton's passion for Indigenous culture

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has backed Jack Wighton for being passionate about his culture.

"He's passionate about his culture and I think his comments were a lot harsher written than what they actually were said," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Controversial recruit boosts Canberra Raiders: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1208263

VIDEO: Stuart won't be underestimating the Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... oys-match/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

What's your view Canberra Raiders fans? Vote in the poll... #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

NRL 2020, most under-rated player of the modern era. https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/31/who ... odern-era/ via @NRL
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nice to clear up any sense of disrespect towards the artist of the jersey.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why the hell isn't Bateman staying for his third season? That still annoys me so much. So unnecessary.

Anyway, having it resolved has helped us secure CHN, so possibly for the best in the long run.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

This year and parts of last year we've really struggled to put on heaps of points.

I'd love for us to be up 24-6 at halftime or 30-8 after 50 minutes. Just so I can relax.

Maybe it's cause we don't do 3 on 2 very well. Or simply take a few risks.

Don't know if we can strike a balance from our defence attitude to our 2016 point scoring run.

The hope is on a dry track in Townsville is to click with the ball.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'They showed faith in me': Jack Wighton and the elders who helped him turn his life around

Jack Wighton still remembers the way the Aboriginal elders spoke to him. It was November 14, 2018, and the then 25-year-old was fronting court in Canberra.

“Going through Galambany court, that was a big eye-opener,” said Wighton. “Their biggest thing is they want young Indigenous men and women to turn their lives around and do better. I took that pretty personally. I was a 25-year-old man with two kids who made a massive blunder. I had two choices – **** it all up or go the other way. I knew which one I was taking.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/they-s ... 55hbs.html

Ricky Stuart stands behind Jack Wighton on Indigenous jersey design process

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has strongly supported five eighth Jack Wighton - after Wighton made critical comments about the Raiders' design process for their 2020 Indigenous jersey.

The jersey will be worn in the Raiders' clash with the Cowboys in Townsville on Saturday.

Wighton was concerned that he and other players were not consulted by the club about the jersey design for this weekend's Indigenous Round - in contrast to the process at some other teams.

He also believed that Indigenous art work should have been given pride of place in the final design, rather than restricted to the sleeves and sides of the jersey.

Stuart said no disrespect to the Indigenous artist, Lynnice Church, whose work appears on the jersey, was intended by Wighton.

"He's very passionate about his culture. I think his comments were a lot harsher written than what they actually were said," Stuart said.

"Jack cares and he has an opinion. It was great that he sat down with [Raiders board member] Katrina Fanning yesterday and discussed those opinions because she's a quality lady and understands it from Jack's side."

"But at no time was he trying to be disrespectful or rude to Mrs Church. Lynnice has done a wonderful job on the design of our jumper. She should be very proud of what she's done."

Jack Wighton took to Instagram today to further explain his views:

"Hi guys, just on yesterday's article I stand by wanting for me and the boys to have more knowledge of the design and process of the jersey and the story behind it in the lead up to Indigenous Round. My message was never aimed that the artist and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I should of thought before talking in that stance. Had a good chat with the club and we are going to do this in the future. Can't wait to play tomorrow. #peaceandlove"."

A report for The Greenhouse

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs Jack Wighton's passion for Indigenous culture: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raider Azz wrote: July 31, 2020, 3:13 pm Image
It looks like Johnnies been to Dugans barber..

Actually..he looks like Dugan.

Gross John..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought Jack was very classy in making that statement today. Good stories.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 7:27 pm I thought Jack was very classy in making that statement today. Good stories.
He's come a long way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart as his team prepares to head to Townsville tomorrow for a clash with the North Queensland Cowboys. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/lzrh50ANbTD

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:19 pm This year and parts of last year we've really struggled to put on heaps of points.

I'd love for us to be up 24-6 at halftime or 30-8 after 50 minutes. Just so I can relax.

Don't know if we can strike a balance from our defence attitude to our 2016 point scoring run.

Like I said a week or so ago.. we aren't coached to blow teams off the park. We are coached to win games by grinding a win, we could sort our f/a quickly because we do too much one off stuff and don't give the backs a chance, except the first 3-4 one out hit ups off a kick return...give the backs clean early ball or offload for a quick 15 +meters... ?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 7:27 pm I thought Jack was very classy in making that statement today. Good stories.
I'm proud of him, originally thought it was poor form, but he owned it and explained his view.
#noted
#letsgoRaiders
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Neeeegz wrote:
Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:19 pm This year and parts of last year we've really struggled to put on heaps of points.

Like I said a week or so ago.. we aren't coached to blow teams off the park. We are coached to win games by grinding a win, we could sort our f/a quickly because we do too much one off stuff and don't give the backs a chance, except the first 3-4 one out hit ups off a kick return...give the backs clean early ball or offload for a quick 15 +meters... ?
I hear you. Very frustrating.
We have the players to put on points.
Would love to see it again.

Saw a bit at the end of the 1st Storm fame this year.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd just like to see us slot the 1 when up by 6 2mins to go with a set in the attacking 20

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

pickles wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:08 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:53 am

I'm positive, that's what makes me worried! It's the type of game we underestimate and go through the motions.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bateman and CHW adds energy and doesn't leave us with too many players without match fitness!
I hear you loud and clear Pickles. As a Raiders supporters you learn to protect your fragile heart from disappointment through years of heartbreak. But this current team is made from sterner stuff. Stay strong brother, we've got this.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Excited to see CHN and Bateman + Rapana at FB.

Normally get a few errors with players who aren't match hardened yet so that + Rapa's high octane style potentially having more errors than CNK safety first approach will be my main concern. I think they'll all bring enough intensity to more than make up for it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, I think that was ultimately well handled by both him and Stuart.

I'm also glad the Canberra Times took the time to follow the issue up with a properly considered report that took the sensationalism out of the issue.

Good outcome.