Moderator: GH Moderators

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Re: Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by Old School Green »

RedRaider wrote: February 11, 2021, 7:00 pm
Old School Green wrote: February 11, 2021, 1:15 pm
Botman wrote: February 11, 2021, 8:01 am
julian87 wrote: February 10, 2021, 9:09 pm Shillington was a much better prop than Ryan James.
I dont know what it was about Shillo, but he was never given his due on this website by a lot of people. Maybe it was the empty the tank and his willingness to criticise the fanbase for the way it was treating the team.

But he was a stud for us, and one of the best forwards in the world for most of his time with us.
During a tough period for the club he definitely was a big player for us. That said, I struggle to remember any 'stand out' performances of his? My recollection is of reliable, strong and consistent metres and strong defence. Whereas when I think paps I conjure up ridiculous tries to win games, big metres, offloads, HITS, humans being left in the wake of a living God, Gallen, presence, moisturiser....

From my perspective shillo was a great stats player (consistent metres, hit ups etc) but not a great highlight reel, scare-the-opposition-sh1tless player. And, he sounded like he breathed 2 parts helium 1 part oxygen.
Old School, I have 3 main memories of Shillo. The bomb he kicked which led to a try against the Knights, the 2 tries he scored in one game and the head butt send off against Aaron Woods in his 200th game close to finals time with us battling to make the semis. I don't know if he had a ghost writer for his comments but he will always be remembered for his week after week of leaving nothing in the tank. It became a running joke on here and in the end I reckon he was saying it as a gee up.
I remember the headbutt. Wasn't it like in the 80th minute or something and he just went nuts with a random headbutt? I think he ended up being the only player sent off that year or something. Can you imagine the odds you would have got on a bet that the only player to be sent off (for a flying headbutt no less) in the whole season was D. Shillington?

I would have given a portion of my gigantic winnings to GE to offset Greenhouse running costs thus meaning I didn't have to suffer through the advertisements before viewing a thread on the forum :)
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wasn't the head-butt the same year that Hayne also did one? More a head push than a bad one. I can't remember if either player was suspended, Hayne probably not as I think it was his period of incredible form.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Shillo also got binned for reacting to the Sims boys repeatedly and deliberately stepping on his hand in the ruck.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Shillo was badly maligned by some on here, a trait some to this day display in unfair or meanspirited comments about players at the club. But it is a longstanding failing, back in the day Mal Meninga used to cop a lot of equally unwarranted and ignorant criticism as well. Mal Malingerer was an oft used slur. Peter Jackson and David Grant also copped it.
On reflection it might seem that vitriolic criticism should be a badge of honour!
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hope he has more luck injury wise than Cameron McInnes. Season gone...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders new recruit Ryan James has sights set on NRL premiership

He's got the doctor's tick of approval, now Ryan James just wants to get back playing football - and win a premiership. Saturday marked 12 months since his second knee reconstruction.

"The knee's good. I get signed off [Saturday], that's 12 months since surgery so officially I can play some footy," James said. "It's been a long time, it's coming on two years now, but I'm ready to go.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

People who are watching this , Ryan Jame’s experience and leadership just paid off, 26 seconds before halftime, bears knock on and we are in our own half, we could of easily just let the clock die but he grabbed some of the players and jogged to the scrum and they packed it with 7 seconds left, we got 2 more plays in , I know it didn’t lead to anything but I just that he has taken all the young guys under his wing and shows them that it ain’t over till the fat lady sings 👏
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

So we didn’t score just before halftime?
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

No but his leadership to encourage the boys to the scrum was an awesome example of professionalism
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Yeah agree, repeating myself from the GameDay thread. I saw what I needed from James today. I’d have him starting with Papa.
A lot to be said for experience and it was a lot of little things, finding front and quick PTB where it was needed, ran the lines for others. No dumb stuff.
Big upgrade on the two very talented but younger blokes.
Great recruiting
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: February 27, 2021, 5:18 pm Yeah agree, repeating myself from the GameDay thread. I saw what I needed from James today. I’d have him starting with Papa.
A lot to be said for experience and it was a lot of little things, finding front and quick PTB where it was needed, ran the lines for others. No dumb stuff.
Big upgrade on the two very talented but younger blokes.
Great recruiting
Based on the trial alone if I need to win a game and my choice of starting or bench middle is James or Hors, it's James clearly. There's a few other contenders too but James came out looking good compared to a couple of the other contenders.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

James looked better than Hors today
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Hors can learn so much off james
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree that Ryan James was good and loved his quick PTB. But I thought Guler and Lui were even better. Lui showed some nice passes including a good draw and pass for the try and an excellent quick hands to put his centre into space.

Hors and Sutton did some good stuff but both made some silly mistakes in attack and defence.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

On field james > soliola
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:56 pm On field james > soliola
Yep, i was plesently surprised by his performance today. Looks like a guy who not only has something left in the tank but is fit and motivated to prove he can do it.

The middle forward discussion just got a little more complicated for me.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2021, 8:18 pm
simo wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:56 pm On field james > soliola
Yep, i was plesently surprised by his performance today. Looks like a guy who not only has something left in the tank but is fit and motivated to prove he can do it.

The middle forward discussion just got a little more complicated for me.
Yep. And i want sutton in the side. Hes just a genuine soldier. I dont know who i want him in at the expense of though
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm a convert.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Sutton and James over horse and guler for mine

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Can't leave him out of the 17 based on today's effort.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Looked good with the ball and had some good minutes in both games combined.

However from what I could tell in the grainy footage it looked like his lateral D was tested and didn't come up well in the Reggie's game when the 7 went through.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Butters wrote: February 27, 2021, 11:02 pm Looked good with the ball and had some good minutes in both games combined.

However from what I could tell in the grainy footage it looked like his lateral D was tested and didn't come up well in the Reggie's game when the 7 went through.

Sam Walker had a really good game for the Bears. Looks small, but is quick and has great vision.

To be fair on James, it was the second hitout he's had in almost 2 seasons. There was a fair bit of sloppy defence by our reggies in that game.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah I think he can be forgiven for getting out paced by a guy an 1/8th of his weight.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Butters wrote: February 27, 2021, 11:02 pm Looked good with the ball and had some good minutes in both games combined.

Sam Walker had a really good game for the Bears. Looks small, but is quick and has great vision.

To be fair on James, it was the second hitout he's had in almost 2 seasons. There was a fair bit of sloppy defence by our reggies in that game.
It wasn't Sam Walker - he was kept for the main game. But yes - I'll give him leeway on the trial but one to watch.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pretty sure Sam Walker played NSW Cup too...
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 7:59 am Pretty sure Sam Walker played NSW Cup too...
he did
Dont delete this GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I don't think Lui has done anything to lose his starting spot - he finished the year playing Origin and has also looked good in the trials, so I wouldn't be giving James his starting spot. But James has certainly earned a spot in the side.
Geez there's gonna be some real competition for spots in the forwards this year, you'll have to feel for whoever misses out.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spot on Raider Azz. There’s certainly going to be some competition for forward spots. And players who performed strongly last season deserve to hold their spot until someone out performs them.

Lui was very good in the trial, he ran good lines, threw some great passes and with Guler was clearly a step above.

But there’s players snapping at people’s heels.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I like James, seems like a good leader and great person. Definitely started the year off well with a couple good games, but in terms of squad depth and balance you have to question the decision to make this signing.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

To me this was a shocker signing in hindsight, and indicates our head was in the wrong place. Sorry. And I rate Ryan James too, it's nothing to do with him
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Canberra Milk wrote:To me this was a shocker signing in hindsight, and indicates our head was in the wrong place. Sorry. And I rate Ryan James too, it's nothing to do with him
Once this signing happened we had to purchase a back not extend Soliola for another year.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

BJ wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:35 am
Canberra Milk wrote:To me this was a shocker signing in hindsight, and indicates our head was in the wrong place. Sorry. And I rate Ryan James too, it's nothing to do with him
Once this signing happened we had to purchase a back not extend Soliola for another year.
Soliola needs to be told that it's time to hang up the boots. I think he's a one-dimensional player who doesn't offer any surprises in attack.

James is doing well and gives the pack some punch in attack.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

yurithe1 wrote: May 1, 2021, 11:26 am
BJ wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:35 am
Soliola needs to be told that it's time to hang up the boots. I think he's a one-dimensional player who doesn't offer any surprises in attack.

James is doing well and gives the pack some punch in attack.
I’m not disagreeing with this, but will moving on Sia free up the cap space needed to chase the quality replacement back we need? We have made tough calls on good young forwards like Murchie and Knight in the past and haven’t suffered too much.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think Ryan James has been great for us in terms of performance. But I can't argue that our squad would be much better balanced right now if we didn't have James, Sia and Lui in it and replaced them with a re-signed Cotric and two Minimum Wage forwards for depth.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Wiki Special wrote: May 2, 2021, 8:47 am I think Ryan James has been great for us in terms of performance. But I can't argue that our squad would be much better balanced right now if we didn't have James, Sia and Lui in it and replaced them with a re-signed Cotric and two Minimum Wage forwards for depth.
Probably true. But those choices have been made already.

And if I was cutting middles this season James would not be cut based on performance. And I reckon we'll get good value out of him next season too.

He'd be one of our best 4 middles so far - Papa, Tapine, Sutton, James- everyone else is surplus or easily replaceable based on what they've done so far.