All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ryan James set to sign with Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:23 am
greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:04 am
BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 9:57 am A ruptured ACL is not a chronic, managed injury. It's an acute incident. Clear as day.
I can agree with that... all I'm saying is... doesn't that mean he couldn't be medically retired if he requires another?
So many negatives in that phrasing...

Let's try again. A new injury to the ACL would be a new injury. It's not like say JB's shoulder where it was an injury he carried, decided to rehab and then it got worse and THEN he decided to operate. Or say a players knee when they have done cartlidge and had it removed, leaving them with chronic knee pain and swelling that they decide to manage.

An ACL is a new injury each time. Once the recovery has been cleared, any new occurrence is not an ongoing, carried injury. Therefore if he does it again and says he doesn't want to rehab, he's had x knee injuries and doctors say yes, don't try to play football anymore, just try to have regular person function the he's retireable.

But if everyone wants to get their tizzy on about it and allude mysteriously to conspiracy theories about other clubs- even though the NRL has erred repeatedly toward medical retirement in far more dubious cases (and as I explain, this would be clear cut) then ok Greenhouse, carry on tizzying.
I'm not disagreeing it is a new injury. I can accept that line of thinking too. All I'm saying is, on that basis, if he has another one, he shouldn't be medically retired for the purposes of the salary cap... if he did choose to retire in that situation, rather than have another procedure. And that's because I believe clubs are using the medical retirement rules as a way of manipulating the salary cap. If the contract isn't paid out, it doesn't count to the cap... but that's the only way it shouldn't be counted to the cap.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:23 am
greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:04 am
BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 9:57 am A ruptured ACL is not a chronic, managed injury. It's an acute incident. Clear as day.
I can agree with that... all I'm saying is... doesn't that mean he couldn't be medically retired if he requires another?
So many negatives in that phrasing...

Let's try again. A new injury to the ACL would be a new injury. It's not like say JB's shoulder where it was an injury he carried, decided to rehab and then it got worse and THEN he decided to operate. Or say a players knee when they have done cartlidge and had it removed, leaving them with chronic knee pain and swelling that they decide to manage.

An ACL is a new injury each time. Once the recovery has been cleared, any new occurrence is not an ongoing, carried injury. Therefore if he does it again and says he doesn't want to rehab, he's had x knee injuries and doctors say yes, don't try to play football anymore, just try to have regular person function the he's retireable.

But if everyone wants to get their tizzy on about it and allude mysteriously to conspiracy theories about other clubs- even though the NRL has erred repeatedly toward medical retirement in far more dubious cases (and as I explain, this would be clear cut) then ok Greenhouse, carry on tizzying.
Hahaha the Greenhouse and "tizzying" go together like a nice bottle of red and a box of the Colonel's hottest and spiciest.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:29 am And that's because I believe clubs are using the medical retirement rules as a way of manipulating the salary cap. If the contract isn't paid out, it doesn't count to the cap... but that's the only way it shouldn't be counted to the cap.
Some clubs may have, that's not our concern with James.

We aren't paying overs or an unrealistically long contract- we are paying him around half his last contract value and it's only a 2 year deal. The whole thing is structured the very opposite of a club trying to get around the cap by offering far more for far longer than a player could realistically ever do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:43 am
greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:29 am And that's because I believe clubs are using the medical retirement rules as a way of manipulating the salary cap. If the contract isn't paid out, it doesn't count to the cap... but that's the only way it shouldn't be counted to the cap.

We aren't paying overs or an unrealistically long contract- we are paying him around half his last contract value and it's only a 2 year deal. The whole thing is structured the very opposite of a club trying to get around the cap by offering far more for far longer than a player could realistically ever do.
I agree, it's probably not too bad a gamble. A good deal if all is OK, not so good otherwise. Maybe I've been struggling to straighten out my thinking here... but I don't think any club, ours included, should get a salary cap holiday if a player chooses to retire after a further injury and the contract is paid out. Because as soon as you do down that path... you get South Sydneys.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:55 am
BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:43 am

I agree, it's probably not too bad a gamble. A good deal if all is OK, not so good otherwise. Maybe I've been struggling to straighten out my thinking here... but I don't think any club, ours included, should get a salary cap holiday if a player chooses to retire after a further injury and the contract is paid out. Because as soon as you do down that path... you get South Sydneys.
I agree with you, Ferg. I hate the whole medically retiring garbage, it needs to stop.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Agreed. It's already been exploited and i think there have been multiple contracts signed in the last 12 months with an eye on further exploitation.
If a player wants to retire and forgo money owned, that's up to them... and the NRL should investigate to ensure no money is exchanged on the sly... otherwise any money paid should be included in the cap
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Studies show that people who have had an ACL reconstruction are 5-6 times more likely to have it go again. Not sure if the correlation is more about the activities these people undertake to cause the ACL rupture though. The fact that James has had 3 knee recos, and we're taking him on without him playing a single game since his last surgery, indicates to me that the insurers would have a case to argue if he did it again.

Anyway, hopefully it's a moot point and we get some good consistent footy out of him, like we did from Shillo after he left the Roosters. The talent is there.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think there is scope for some medical retirements on the salary cap. But I’m thinking 25-50% for some of the recent retirees but also a full coverage for your Alex McKinnon situations.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: July 31, 2020, 11:38 am I think there is scope for some medical retirements on the salary cap. But I’m thinking 25-50% for some of the recent retirees but also a full coverage for your Alex McKinnon situations.
I think it's got to be a case by case basis and in the instance like McKinnon where a clear on field incident had catastrophic results, then it's a no brainer

This **** where your shoulder is and has been **** for years and it's progressively getting more **** and everyone knows it? that's on you and the club to deal with. If they want to give you a ton of money and a long term deal given that medical situation, they should buck up and take it on the chin when it doesnt pan out
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

How good is the "Destroyer of Clubs" going! Player managers are ringing us to come play for the Raiders now. No selling of the club required
:clap:
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Does Ryan James finish his rehab down at the Raiders? Seems to make the most sense?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Butters wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:52 pm Does Ryan James finish his rehab down at the Raiders? Seems to make the most sense?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I read he was ready to start all pre season activities, whether they are early or late, finals or not. So I'd guess he comes in for the pre-xmas pre-season. That used to be mid/late November I thought but might be different this year due to covid season.

Not sure if we'll see him before then because we won't be paying him until then (otherwise it would go on this years cap etc).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: July 31, 2020, 11:38 am I think there is scope for some medical retirements on the salary cap. But I’m thinking 25-50% for some of the recent retirees but also a full coverage for your Alex McKinnon situations.
I think it's got to be a case by case basis and in the instance like McKinnon where a clear on field incident had catastrophic results, then it's a no brainer

This **** where your shoulder is and has been **** for years and it's progressively getting more **** and everyone knows it? that's on you and the club to deal with. If they want to give you a ton of money and a long term deal given that medical situation, they should buck up and take it on the chin when it doesnt pan out
Spot on Pig. Just a pity the case by case decisions have been completely botched of late.

Still too much inner Sydney centric thinking from the people at NRL headquarters who make the decisions.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Read’s saying could be done today
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Gold Coast Titans forward Ryan James to join Canberra Raiders in 2021 on two year deal

The Canberra Raiders will welcome Ryan James to club in 2021, after he signed a two-year deal with the Green Machine.

James, 29, has played 144 NRL matches for the Gold Coast Titans since making his debut in 2010. He’s also represented the Indigenous All-Stars on five occasions and Country Origin twice.

The signing of James brings another quality forward into the club for season 2021, with his experience as a player and leader to be welcomed by Coach Ricky Stuart and the playing group.

Off the field, James is also known for his wonderful work as both an Indigenous ambassador and community champion, winning the Ken Stephen medal in 2018 for his work in the community.

James said he’s looking forward to joining the Raiders for the commencement of the 2021 pre-season and would now focus on finishing his time with the Titans.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge of heading to Canberra and working with Ricky Stuart and the Raiders squad,” James said. “The Titans have been a wonderful club for me, and I’ll be forever grateful for what they’ve done for my career.”

Raiders Recruitment and High-Performance Director Peter Mulholland said the signing of James was wonderful for the club, with his qualities as a player and individual expected to compliment the club culture.

“We know what Ryan can bring to our club with his football and leadership,” Mulholland said. “He’s a tremendous talent who leads by example on and off the field and we believe he will be valuable addition to our forward pack, particularly for some of our up and coming players.”

Canberra Raiders media

Gold Coast Titans captain Ryan James officially joins Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders hope the addition of Gold Coast captain Ryan James will not only bolster their forward pack next year, but help develop their pack of the future as well.

James has officially signed a two-year deal with the Green Machine and will join the club at the end of the season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

welcome

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sydney Roosters help Gold Coast Titans captain Ryan James choose Canberra Raiders

His long-time friendship with Ricky Stuart played a role, but it was the Canberra Raiders' gutsy win over the Sydney Roosters that sealed the deal.

"I made the decision when I was watching them play the Roosters a couple of weeks back and they were down on troops. They just pulled together and got the win. I thought, 'Wow, this could definitely be the team I want to play for'."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2020, 2:45 pm
OFFICIAL: Gold Coast Titans forward Ryan James to join Canberra Raiders in 2021 on two year deal
When I first read this I thought immediately of Sia. Similar age to when Sia joined the Raiders too. If he can match what Sia has brought to the Raiders we are on a winner. Welcome Ryan.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: August 10, 2020, 9:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2020, 2:45 pm
When I first read this I thought immediately of Sia. Similar age to when Sia joined the Raiders too. If he can match what Sia has brought to the Raiders we are on a winner. Welcome Ryan.
Hadn’t thought of that. Great comparison. Sia has been nothing short of excellent for us. Would love James to do the same.

I really like the quote in the article where he refers to the Roosters win. That’s the kind of thing we want players to be drawn to. Great start.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Can’t say I’m super thrilled about this
As I’ve said before I’m not a huge fan of his game but in a better club, surrounded by better talent and the chance to play competitive footy, hopefully brings the best our of him

Like all signings for our club, I’ll give him a clean slate and let’s see what he’s got
Competition for spots in our pack next year should be pretty fierce
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Can’t say I’m super thrilled about this
As I’ve said before I’m not a huge fan of his game but in a better club, surrounded by better talent and the chance to play competitive footy, hopefully brings the best our of him

Like all signings for our club, I’ll give him a clean slate and let’s see what he’s got
Competition for spots in our pack next year should be pretty fierce
still remember when he suckered FPN and won the game against us

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by BJ »

If he gets back to his 2018 form, then both Ryan and Papa will form an incredible starting Props combination.

Add the experience of Lui and the developing talent of Guler and I think we will have the best Prop rotation in the game.

That will be great for our spine and outside backs to play off the back of.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's a great opportunity for me and my family: Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan James

It's going to be a family affair for Gold Coast Titans prop Ryan James when he moves to the national capital, to take up a two year deal with the Canberra Raiders.

James says his parents-in-law are going to move to Canberra at the same time as his own young family, while there are more relations already in town.

"The offer to play down there for two years was just a great opportunity for me and my family," James explained today.

"The in laws are going to move with us as well, so it's just that family security down there and just having them down there with us made the move a lot easier. The transition is going to be a lot easier."

"We've got family down there as well, so it's going to be exciting times."

"We're going to pack the jumpers."

James' mother-in-law has re-married and her partner hails from Canberra.

"He's got kids down there that are our age. They've got kids and he's got grand kids that he hasn't really been able to see the past couple of years. So it's going to be great for our kids to grow up together and the kids get to play with their cousins," James said.

"The Gold Coast will always be home, but Canberra's going to be home for at least the next two years."

After his signing was made official this week, James posted some photos of himself on Instagram as a young boy, dressed in Raiders supporters gear. He was a child during the Raiders' glory years of the early 1990's.

"It was weird, because after we made that decision, mum brought down heaps of baby photos and there was one where I was wearing the 1991 Grand Final shirt," James said.

"And there with the Raiders socks on. They always dressed us in green. You never know, maybe I was always meant to be green."

James is looking forward to the prospect of being coached by Ricky Stuart - after a number of encounters with the Raiders' mentor over his football career.

"We've had a couple of run ins over the many years I've been playing footy," James recalls.

"I remember I first was 15 when he was down at the Roosters. Their recruitment officer flew myself and my father down to the Roosters, to sign down there when I was younger. But it wasn't to be then."

"I spoke to him a couple of other times. Eventually we got to meet up and we're going to meet up next year. He's always been great to me, and the players always seem like they want to play for him."

"He's a great, genuine bloke and he does great things for that club."

"The club's got brand new training facilities down there. I've been in close contact with Fordy [football manager Matt Ford] down there, and Travis [Ronaldson] our nutritionist, who is now down there as well. Hopefully, that makes things a little bit easier for the move. It's just going to be great to go down."

"Sometimes a fresh side's the best thing."

James is recovering from an ACL injury, suffered at the end of January this year. He says that the COVID related break in the season put back his rehabilitation by a month - so there's no chance he'll play again for the Titans. But he will be right to go from the start of season 2021.

At age 29, he's glad to be joining a club that now has a prospect of regularly playing finals football. He has played 144 games for the Titans, but has only played in one finals game in his NRL career - a qualifying final in 2016, which the Titans lost to the Broncos.

"It was a bit of an honour to even been offered something by a team that's ranked so highly in the NRL. Obviously, they were in the Grand Final last year and to be looked at by them was a great honour," James said.

"To go down there and play at a club that is hopefully going to play semi finals this year and for the couple of years I'm there... that's something I'm extremely excited about."

"I'm getting to the pointy end of my career, I've just turned 29, so there's not too much running left in my legs. So to get down there and play some semi final footy would be great."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ryan James speaks about his excitement ahead of Raiders move: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... ders-move/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

You've got quite the talent there Greeneyed! That was a really good read.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 11, 2020, 5:30 pm You've got quite the talent there Greeneyed! That was a really good read.
Thanks! It's a lot easier to do than writing previews and columns!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 11, 2020, 6:18 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 11, 2020, 5:30 pm You've got quite the talent there Greeneyed! That was a really good read.
You've cracked the secret of journalism then!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 11, 2020, 7:27 pm
Wouldn’t claim that! Journalists have the difficult job of finding out things which are genuinely news... and revealing stories which are in the public interest but which some might not wish to reveal. They have some pretty difficult choices... particularly when you’re trying to maintain relationships. We’re told things all the time via this site... but for the most part, only the real journalists have license to pursue stories to work out what a real story is. If something is factual. Sometimes, we’re so certain, we’ll publish here. But we can’t ring Don Furner or the club up for a comment on something. We’re not recognised as a media outlet by the NRL. The stage managed press conferences with players are fine, and mostly interesting. But it’s a shame the NRL clubs cut off so much access to players etc for journalists these days...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 11, 2020, 7:42 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 11, 2020, 7:27 pm
Wouldn’t claim that! Journalists have the difficult job of finding out things which are genuinely news... and revealing stories which are in the public interest but which some might not wish to reveal. They have some pretty difficult choices... particularly when you’re trying to maintain relationships. We’re told things all the time via this site... but for the most part, only the real journalists have license to pursue stories to work out what a real story is. If something is factual. Sometimes, we’re so certain, we’ll publish here. But we can’t ring Don Furner or the club up for a comment on something. We’re not recognised as a media outlet by the NRL. The stage managed press conferences with players are fine, and mostly interesting. But it’s a shame the NRL clubs cut off so much access to players etc for journalists these days...
Ahh, you're speaking of traditional journalism. Almost a lost art. You don't see too much of that these days, unfortunately. :)
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Seems genuinely excited about coming. I really hope it works out for all parties and the bloke retires with a premiership ring 😋
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: August 11, 2020, 8:26 pm Seems genuinely excited about coming. I really hope it works out for all parties and the bloke retires with a premiership ring 😋
I like that idea!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I rate Ryan James. A quality player.

Yes, I'm concerned about his knee injuries, but hopefully he can overcome and add some quality depth.

This guy was a beast as a junior.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree dubs. Ive always had a high regard for him. Injuries proving to be his down fall and while i cant help but think these will continue i live in hope knowing that tedesco similarly had an aweful run with injuries but now the bloke seems invincible
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

He seems genuinely excited to be coming and to be living in Canberra, and to play for us. I hope it works out.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

i really liked his video showing his interview. Seems like a genuine and humble guy, willing to work hard and has aspirations for rep and premiership honours. Will fit in. Hope he stays fit. I want him to do well. It's great he chose us over Roosters and he thinks we are in a premiership window. Contrast the attitude shown by TPJ
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Everyone (myself included) seems to think the signing of James indicates Sia retiring. If Sia plays on the selections in our forwards will be fascinating next year.