Ryan James signs with Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by Neeeegz »

I think Sia has played his last game, if he plays again he is a tougher man than I've ever met...
If love to see him employed by the club in some respect moving forward...
I hope we can get a few good years out of James...he deserves a good run..
Our staff should be able to get the best out of him hopefully
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

So much depth if all fit and somehow all retained (which I doubt)

Papalii
Lui
James
Sutton
Guler
Horsburgh
Soliola
Young
O’Donnell
Havili

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Dusty wrote: August 13, 2020, 7:52 pm So much depth if all fit and somehow all retained (which I doubt)

Papalii
Lui
James
Sutton
Guler
Horsburgh
Soliola
Young
O’Donnell
Havili

We'd genuinely be able to load manage Papa with that to choose from. And you forgot Tapine!
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Wiki Special wrote:
Dusty wrote: August 13, 2020, 7:52 pm So much depth if all fit and somehow all retained (which I doubt)

Papalii
Lui
James
Sutton
Guler
Horsburgh
Soliola
Young
O’Donnell
Havili

We'd genuinely be able to load manage Papa with that to choose from. And you forgot Tapine!
I knew I’d forget someone !!!

If we could get away with Papa playin 50-60 a week max that’d be outstanding

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 13, 2020, 7:48 pm I think Sia has played his last game, if he plays again he is a tougher man than I've ever met...
Agreed. That was a horrific injury and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ricky takes him aside and suggest that his long term health is more important than going round one more season. I suspect that's why they signed James.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: August 15, 2020, 12:19 pm
Neeeegz wrote: August 13, 2020, 7:48 pm I think Sia has played his last game, if he plays again he is a tougher man than I've ever met...
Agreed. That was a horrific injury and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ricky takes him aside and suggest that his long term health is more important than going round one more season. I suspect that's why they signed James.
According to this article...

In a further boost for Soliola, Canberra officials are hopeful of extending his stay at the club beyond 2020.

He is off-contract at season’s end and has received interest from several English Super League clubs, but the Raiders are in talks to keep him in the nation’s capital.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/raide ... ce6a14c85c
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

What does our pack look like next year then? We're going to end up with a reserve grade starting pack of:
8. Sutton
10. Lui
11. Young
13. O'Donnell

That's some pretty crazy depth in the forwards. It might even be stronger than that. If you treat Havili as your 3rd middle one of Guler, Horse or Soliola would be dropping back.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2020, 12:40 pm
yurithe1 wrote: August 15, 2020, 12:19 pm
According to this article...

In a further boost for Soliola, Canberra officials are hopeful of extending his stay at the club beyond 2020.

He is off-contract at season’s end and has received interest from several English Super League clubs, but the Raiders are in talks to keep him in the nation’s capital.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/raide ... ce6a14c85c
"...he had 20 screws inserted into his face following a fracture, now he is in line for a shock finals return.
It was initially feared that Soliola would be out for the season when a head clash against St George Illawarra in round 8 resulted in multiple face fractures.
The veteran underwent surgery while for a period he could only eat blended food through a straw, but he remains determined to make a comeback in the final regular season round or the finals."

Good grief!

The other good news from that article is that Corey Horsburgh is aiming to return from a foot injury in time for the finals, while Emre Guler is also in the frame to return in the next month.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yurithe1 wrote: August 15, 2020, 1:09 pm
Good grief!

The other good news from that article is that Corey Horsburgh is aiming to return from a foot injury in time for the finals, while Emre Guler is also in the frame to return in the next month.
If they do make it back Ricky will have some big headaches picking his pack. Guys like Lui, Young, Sutton, CHN will be match hardened and if they are performing, hard to drop for someone who will be off the pace- in a finals game no less.

If Guler can make it by round 17-18 then he won't be a worry. Hors tends to have a couple of drops/play the ball issues when he isn't match fit. But he does have an impact on games. Sia will be Sia. I'd think if he's fit, Ricky will play him.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I would be very concerned with bringing Sia back this season given his injury. Dr Zaius, how long before the bone knits and regains strength following this type of injury? 20 screws holding his scone together and with or without the ball every single contact is going to jar it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm pretty sure the Raiders medical staff and Soliola's surgeon will be ultra conservative with this sort of injury, or any injury for that matter. He's not coming back half baked.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Ryan James extraordinary promise to Raiders

Ryan James has backed himself in a big way to revive his career at the Raiders over the next two seasons. He’s told the Raiders that if he doesn't manage 15 or more NRL games in 2021, he will walk away from the club and not take the club's money the following year.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-cronu ... e60a60666a
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:08 am Ryan James extraordinary promise to Raiders

Ryan James has backed himself in a big way to revive his career at the Raiders over the next two seasons. He’s told the Raiders that if he doesn't manage 15 or more NRL games in 2021, he will walk away from the club and not take the club's money the following year.

i like ryan
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If his game on the paddock matches it off, we're on to a winner here.
I still have my doubts about how good he can be on the park but the way he has carried himself off it has me really hoping this works out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm impressed, but I'll be even more impressed if it is in the contract.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd rather he just concentrate on one game at a time and doing it for the boys.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

So let me get this straight;

he's promising to leave if the tank is empty, not to empty the tank?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I feel that this will turn out to be a great signing. I think he will be relishing the opportunity to play for a good club after being at the Titans his entire career (a whole decade) and it's not often that we find ourselves picking up a former captain / 10 year veteran.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

If he’s half as good on the field as off, I don’t see how we can lose.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

zim wrote: August 15, 2020, 12:48 pm What does our pack look like next year then?
I'll have a go;

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Horsburgh
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling/Back
15. James
16. Guler
17. Young/Havili

Bench depends how Hodgson comes back. Sia (if signed), Lui, Sutton applying pressure. Wow.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:08 am Ryan James extraordinary promise to Raiders

on one hand you have TPJ who has the rugby league potential at his feet, and he throws it away for a haircut, then on the other hand you have this guy, doesnt give up, injured, and wants to make the most of his opportunities, thats championship material.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: August 18, 2020, 2:53 pm
zim wrote: August 15, 2020, 12:48 pm What does our pack look like next year then?
I'll have a go;

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Horsburgh
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling/Back
15. James
16. Guler
17. Young/Havili

Bench depends how Hodgson comes back. Sia (if signed), Lui, Sutton applying pressure. Wow.
IMO, assuming Sia hangs around another year

8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Havilii/Starling (i think this could be game week to week/game plan specific) 15. Hors 16. Sia 17. Sutton

If it were up to me, it would be up to James to force his way into that team though knowing Stuart and how he handles vets, James will be in the team to start to year and it will be up to him to play well enough to keep the spot.

But yeah we're going to have Starling/Havilii competing for a spot and potentially guys like Sutton/James/Young/KOD all competing for spots... but with injuries and suspension they'll all get some run
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ryan James reminds me a lot of David Shillington. Plenty of promise and a bit of inconsistency, just looking for an opportunity to get to that next level.

At times he really led an understrength Titans team to some respectable performances. I really do hope his knee reco is successful for his sake, as it seems he's busting to get one more chance to show how good he is.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Crusader wrote: August 18, 2020, 3:31 pm

on one hand you have TPJ who has the rugby league potential at his feet, and he throws it away for a haircut, then on the other hand you have this guy, doesnt give up, injured, and wants to make the most of his opportunities, thats championship material.
TPJ has just proven what an absolute flog he is.

No wonder the Broncos are up the creek. I really feel for players like Alex Glenn and some of the younger blokes....kinda....it is the Broncos after all.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 3:47 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 18, 2020, 2:53 pm
I'll have a go;

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Horsburgh
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling/Back
15. James
16. Guler
17. Young/Havili

IMO, assuming Sia hangs around another year

8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Havilii/Starling (i think this could be game week to week/game plan specific) 15. Hors 16. Sia 17. Sutton

If it were up to me, it would be up to James to force his way into that team though knowing Stuart and how he handles vets, James will be in the team to start to year and it will be up to him to play well enough to keep the spot.

But yeah we're going to have Starling/Havilii competing for a spot and potentially guys like Sutton/James/Young/KOD all competing for spots... but with injuries and suspension they'll all get some run
Judging by your team I'd say you are higher on Guler than I am. And I'd say I'm higher on Young than you are. But either way it is a gem of a position to be in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me :lol:
I think he's got the potential to be one of the best middles in the game.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 7:23 pm Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me :lol:
I hope you are right. I actually have him 3rd of our 3 youthful forwards (Horsburgh, Young, Guler). Although I will say he has impressed me with his improvement. When he debuted I thought he was quite poor with his first contact in defence but he has gotten better in that regard.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Wiki Special wrote:
Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 7:23 pm Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me Image
I hope you are right. I actually have him 3rd of our 3 youthful forwards (Horsburgh, Young, Guler). Although I will say he has impressed me with his improvement. When he debuted I thought he was quite poor with his first contact in defence but he has gotten better in that regard.
his debut was warriors wasn't it where he was damn good.
Young is the one I'm not very high on just reminds me of Luke Bateman

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Wiki Special wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:00 pm
Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 7:23 pm Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me :lol:
Hudson Young over Guler?

I don't rate him quite as highly as Botman but that is no chance. With all players fit Young is a fringe squad player at best, Guler is top 17.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:12 pm
Wiki Special wrote:
Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 7:23 pm Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me Image

Guler gets better every game and was excellent last year vs the best packs and began well this year too. His rate of improvement is impressive.

Young started steady and hasn't really moved on much more from that.

Both look like they belong in FG but if I had to pick one/lose one, I'd be backing Guler.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

as everyone quickly points out attack is 50% of the game, i hope young can find a way to bust tackles, run lines, step offload pass before the line something

Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Wiki Special wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the comparison, I'd say Young already has more career line breaks.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Lui_Bon wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:21 pm
Wiki Special wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the comparison, I'd say Young already has more career line breaks.
Might have something to do with the amount of time he's spent on the edge, if he does.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I think all 3 are FG'ers by the way. Each to their own with where you rate them, I'm glad we have all 3 but I truly believe Young was ahead of Guler in the coaches pecking order last year. Before his ridiculous actions got him suspended. Whether he is ahead now, who knows.

'bonehead' above said attack is 50% of the game. So is defence. Anyone with some spare time watch the game vs. Souths last year in Canberra (a loss unfortunately). Young and Horsburgh were outstanding.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Unless you're skilful and/or doing all those hard one percenters like an Elliot Whitehead, I don't think you can get away with not having much impact carrying the ball up for too long. If we're taught one thing in this comp, it's that to survive in the long run you need to be rounded and have a point of difference. Not seeing that in Hudson atm.

Not trying to lay into him or anything, no grudges being held at all for his previous on-field indiscretions, but unless he develops an attacking side his days here will be numbered IMO.