simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by simo »

Lui_Bon wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:21 pm
bonehead wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:12 pm
Wiki Special wrote:
Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 7:23 pm Excluding his mother, father and maybe his dog, i dont think anyone in the world is higher on Guler than me Image
I think he's got the potential to be one of the best middles in the game.
I hope you are right. I actually have him 3rd of our 3 youthful forwards (Horsburgh, Young, Guler). Although I will say he has impressed me with his improvement. When he debuted I thought he was quite poor with his first contact in defence but he has gotten better in that regard.
his debut was warriors wasn't it where he was damn good.
Young is the one I'm not very high on just reminds me of Luke Bateman

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure I agree with the comparison, I'd say Young already has more career line breaks.
Disagree with the luke bateman comparison. Young’s intense and agile. He’s versatile in the roles he can play depending on the tempo of the game. When the game broke open on the weekend i thought young adapted perfectly.
Dont delete this GE
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

All good 'afgtnk'. I think his attack is actually OK. Especially in the middle with his good leg speed.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've been crying out for seasons for a bench leg speed middle and young is doing well in that role, I'd just like to see more

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:47 pm All good 'afgtnk'. I think his attack is actually OK. Especially in the middle with his good leg speed.
*aksaskakaa
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 18, 2020, 8:47 pm All good 'afgtnk'. I think his attack is actually OK. Especially in the middle with his good leg speed.
*aksaskakaa
Ta. Hate it when people don't get it right.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:35 pm
Botman wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
*aksaskakaa
Ta. Hate it when people don't get it right.
I may have asked this before and forgotten, but is there a rhyme or reason for the username?
I assume its not a random assortment of letters but is probably an acronym for something?

Open the kimono and let me peak inside
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Oh, you know I can't reveal that Botdawg. The true reason will forever remain a mystery.

I believe GH legend has it that it was formed out of a keyboard smash, and that's what I'll keep for the generations of sad sacks like us to come on here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:44 pm Oh, you know I can't reveal that Botdawg. The true reason will forever remain a mystery.

I believe GH legend has it that it was formed out of a keyboard smash, and that's what I'll keep for the generations to come on here.
Ugh... i dont like it, but i have to respect it :lol:
god speed asklalksja
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d put Hudson Young in the bottom 20% of backrowers. I’m obviously not seeing what some do at all.

I can’t think of any memorable line breaks, short passes, off loads, cover tackles, tackle busts that he has made.

But he’s still young and hopefully improving. I’ve liked his attitude and effort sometimes but he will have to take his impact up a few notches.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Hudson has held his own in first grade, got rid of the grubby **** and will improve in the future for sure.. have to keep him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im more than happy to keep Young and think he'll continue to get better and he's certainly flashed at times but i dont understand how anyone who watches footy could have him above either Hors or Guler in terms of level of performance or potential.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Im more than happy to keep Young and think he'll continue to get better and he's certainly flashed at times but i dont understand how anyone who watches footy could have him above either Hors or Guler in terms of level of performance or potential.
Agree Botman. Hors and Guler well above Young.

Even Lui who cops a lot of flak on GH is helping us win games more than Young.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: August 19, 2020, 8:31 am Im more than happy to keep Young and think he'll continue to get better and he's certainly flashed at times but i dont understand how anyone who watches footy could have him above either Hors or Guler in terms of level of performance or potential.
ive got guler ahead of both in the front row. horse better as a lock with an offload. youngs a great bench forward as hes good on an edge and a goer in the middle. different roles and thats perfect. i have all 3 in my best line up.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:13 am
Botman wrote: August 19, 2020, 8:31 am Im more than happy to keep Young and think he'll continue to get better and he's certainly flashed at times but i dont understand how anyone who watches footy could have him above either Hors or Guler in terms of level of performance or potential.
ive got guler ahead of both in the front row. horse better as a lock with an offload. youngs a great bench forward as hes good on an edge and a goer in the middle. different roles and thats perfect. i have all 3 in my best line up.
I dont know if Young is in my top 17 right now for next year, if Sia sticks around.
I dont know that he's not either, because without him you're looking at Sia, James and Hors/Guler on the bench with the Havilii or Starling, which gives a ton of punch in the middle but not a lot of room to move on the edges (though Tapine could move out there if CHN/Whitey got hurt)... and maybe that's overkill, and Young having the ability to play edge as well as provide some energy as a short stint middle gets him over the line over James or Sia? Not sure which way i'd go on that yet. And maybe wont matter if Sia isnt in the squad next year

Hors and Guler are staples of my forward pack. If they're fit and healthy, they're in my 17.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:17 am
simo wrote: August 19, 2020, 9:13 am
I dont know if Young is in my top 17 right now for next year, if Sia sticks around.
I dont know that he's not either, because without him you're looking at Sia, James and Hors/Guler on the bench with the Havilii or Starling, which gives a ton of punch in the middle but not a lot of room to move on the edges (though Tapine could move out there if CHN/Whitey got hurt)... and maybe that's overkill, and Young having the ability to play edge as well as provide some energy as a short stint middle gets him over the line over James or Sia? Not sure which way i'd go on that yet. And maybe wont matter if Sia isnt in the squad next year

Hors and Guler are staples of my forward pack. If they're fit and healthy, they're in my 17.
when all are fit, for me, it's
8 papa
9 hodgo
10 guler
11 chn
12 whitehead
13 horse
14 havili/starling
15 tapine (only for quality spread, hes our number 2 forward)
16 young
17 sutton/lui/james/sia
so much option for rotation. great side to suit a lot of tempos
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

8. Papalii
10. James
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Sia / Havili / Lui / Young / Sutton
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler

There'll be rotation and injury throughout the year. Horse and Guler will continue to develop through that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: August 19, 2020, 11:58 am 8. Papalii
10. James
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Sia / Havili / Lui / Young / Sutton
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler

There'll be rotation and injury throughout the year. Horse and Guler will continue to develop through that.
I like the way you completely avoided taking a stance on Sia/ Havilii/ Young/ Sutton's place in the pecking order by just listing them all in the same space. I hope Ricky starts doing this on Team List Tuesday.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I listed them in order depending on who signs/takes up offers is healthy.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

If all are fit I believe or best balanced pack will be...

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. James
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

15. Young
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler

18. Sia / Sutton / Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

Really not sure about this signing. Raiders are desperate for either explosive impact off the bench for 20-30min or a metre eater that can consistently crank out 150m a game and make the tough yards when stuck inside their own 30m. Ryan James doesn't do either of those things. He's a great guy to have in the club and an excellent role model but even at this cut price deal I don't see a huge amount of upside.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Belcher#1 wrote: August 19, 2020, 2:54 pm Really not sure about this signing. Raiders are desperate for either explosive impact off the bench for 20-30min or a metre eater that can consistently crank out 150m a game and make the tough yards when stuck inside their own 30m. Ryan James doesn't do either of those things. He's a great guy to have in the club and an excellent role model but even at this cut price deal I don't see a huge amount of upside.
Welcome to the forum Mrs Sutton/Lui/Soliola/Horsburgh/Guler/Young :hi
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Belcher#1 wrote: August 19, 2020, 2:54 pm Really not sure about this signing. Raiders are desperate for either explosive impact off the bench for 20-30min or a metre eater that can consistently crank out 150m a game and make the tough yards when stuck inside their own 30m. Ryan James doesn't do either of those things. He's a great guy to have in the club and an excellent role model but even at this cut price deal I don't see a huge amount of upside.
As long as his knee comes back ok I think Ryan James is a guy who will consistently make 150m. As is Emre Guler and obviously Papa. A lot depends on how he recovers from the knee reco but if he gets back to his best I think we'll have 3 props doing that on a consistent basis. It will be Roosters-esque!

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

Andymachine wrote: August 20, 2020, 1:38 pm
As long as his knee comes back ok I think Ryan James is a guy who will consistently make 150m. As is Emre Guler and obviously Papa. A lot depends on how he recovers from the knee reco but if he gets back to his best I think we'll have 3 props doing that on a consistent basis. It will be Roosters-esque!
That would be great to see but the odds of that are very much against him. He's never averaged more than 121m in a season, is in the twilight of his career and is coming off multiple acl injuries.
To me it looks like Canberra want to try and milk the remaining talent out of him then transition him into the coaching ranks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yards numbers are a bit easier to come by this year- more 150m games and more 200m games even. So we need to take James' run metres in that vein. Was also playing for a crap club- so targeted as their one decent prop. He'll be well supported here.

I have no idea how he'll recover. But the stats that interest me about James and the role the might play are that- at his best or near it- he can break a tackle. He has some power. The only forwards we have who break tackles at his rate are Papa and Bateman. Even just off his best he'd still break as many tackles as Elliot or Tapine. That'd be a nice threat to have in an experienced bench prop.

The other is that he has a genuine offload in his game. Again, that helps our attack.

So I don't really care how many he runs for- that will be minute dependent and I fully believe Hors and Guler will be 150m men next year, with their young legs. James will get yards, not an issue I'm worried about.

What he will really -if he's near his best- is offer a real point of difference to what we already have. He's a genuine big body even for a prop. With either him or Guler on deck, we'll never be overmatched just for size. He has some impact in his play- as previously described, a step above just an honest toiler like Sutton or Lui. He's also a noted tough nut. So even if Sia or Papa are out for whatever reasons, there's still a mean old bruiser on deck. Jeff Lima style.

Could be good. And at that price, if he's not up to snuff then no big loss, we have great depth already.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

Fingers crossed a new environment, better coaches and greater overall squad quality can bring the best out of him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan James huge incoming addition to Raiders pack

Injury has cruelled the past two NRL seasons for incoming Raider Ryan James, but one must only look back to 2016 for a glimpse at just how devastating the Gold Coast prop is at his bullocking best.

"I might have to start hogging the ball a bit more next year," Papalii said when asked about his future teammate. "He's been the best forward up at the Titans for many years.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan James in town, looking for a new home in the nation's capital

Ryan James has been blown away by the support for the Canberra Raiders in the capital. Raiders boss Don Furner showed James around town on Wednesday and Thursday ahead of his move to the ACT.

"It's [one of] the kid's first year at school next year and different areas where we're going to live and getting a feel for the area," he said. "It's really grown since the last time I was down here ... it's good to see people around just love the Raiders.

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I was reading the above posts and couldn't believe the lack of support for Young and Sutton.

But then realised they were written 7 weeks ago.
Surely attitude has changed now.

As for James, looking forward to see how he presses for a spot.

I remember him being a good player.
But my major memory of him is when he took a dive after FPN shouldered him in the back.

Threw the game in the last few minutes, round 1.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

His ceiling is quite high. If fit he'll be playing first grade, but i just cannot see how you sit lui, sutton and young out of first grade. They are all first graders, no question.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

It'll be the only year Ricky is hoping for injuries to make selection easier.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

FROG wrote:His ceiling is quite high. If fit he'll be playing first grade, but i just cannot see how you sit lui, sutton and young out of first grade. They are all first graders, no question.
Plus Guler and Horsburgh as well..

Gone from zero depth to plenty

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: October 1, 2020, 7:15 pm Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan James in town, looking for a new home in the nation's capital

Ryan James has been blown away by the support for the Canberra Raiders in the capital. Raiders boss Don Furner showed James around town on Wednesday and Thursday ahead of his move to the ACT.

"It's [one of] the kid's first year at school next year and different areas where we're going to live and getting a feel for the area," he said. "It's really grown since the last time I was down here ... it's good to see people around just love the Raiders.

Any way to read this as it’s blocked?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Subscribing to The Canberra Times is the best way!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: October 2, 2020, 1:29 am
FROG wrote:His ceiling is quite high. If fit he'll be playing first grade, but i just cannot see how you sit lui, sutton and young out of first grade. They are all first graders, no question.
Plus Guler and Horsburgh as well..

Gone from zero depth to plenty

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
So true. Start of the year we were crying out to add some quality middle forwards. Lui was a fringe 1st grader, Guler was unproven, Horse showed flashes but still to establish himself, Sia seemed to be in decline and expected to retire, Sutton couldn't go the pace of NRL. Young kept sticking his fingers in the wrong places and was spending more time suspended than playing. Looked like Paps and Tapine were our only bankable commodities.

How things have changed. All those mentioned took their game to another level this year. What looked like a weakness is now a strength.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2020, 9:44 pm Oh, you know I can't reveal that Botdawg. The true reason will forever remain a mystery.

I believe GH legend has it that it was formed out of a keyboard smash, and that's what I'll keep for the generations of sad sacks like us to come on here.
Rumour was that David90210 got his nam in similar fashion. keyboard smash delivered the random numbers that followed his name
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021