Starling watch

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Starling watch

Post by papabear »

Incredible performance I thought especially off the back of no footy.

It will be interesting to see what happens to our side if he continues to develop, imo if he grows into a quality player you have to think about it him taking the reins, you dont want to have a cook situation.

That is if he continues to develop and play really well.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Starling Watch

Post by Mercury »

If he develops then he'll pull a Cotric??? :rant
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

i think if it gets to the point that he is our number one hooker and we offer him a deal accordingly, I dont see him pulling a cotric.

Their is only 16 number 1 hookers :)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's a bit early to pull that string.

He can tackle well- but no teams have seen him to develop a specific way to target him yet. It's a consideration just because of his size. He can certainly play above his weight, but it will be tested more thoroughly.

I like that he was right in the thick of it- little things like rolling the ball away when they wanted it quick for a restart etc- not afraid to ruffle some feathers.

Certainly a place for zippy hookers in this format of the rules and he showed a nice pair of hands for the Papa try. Concern is that if the "6 again" rule disappears after this year then I'm not sure he's as effective.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There's a lot of Baptiste about him. Short, quick, plays well above his weight, ordinary passer.

We are not a better team without Hodgson, but a Havili/Starling combo could still propel us into the finals.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I loved the baptist hodgo rotation where they were both on the field at the same time. I think this could be an option for us if starling kicks on where havili plays as a middle forward
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Can anyone tell me how old Hodgo is? And when he is contracted to?
I'm not deathriding Hodgo, just planning for the future.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

30, 31 in October

So realistically we could have another 5 years out of him, but it depends how he comes back from ACLs in both knees now

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:24 pm 30, 31 in October

So realistically we could have another 5 years out of him, but it depends how he comes back from ACLs in both knees now

31 in Oct.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Starling watch

Post by magoo »

Thanks team
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

FROG wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:44 pm I loved the baptist hodgo rotation where they were both on the field at the same time. I think this could be an option for us if starling kicks on where havili plays as a middle forward
That was awesome and they worked so well together. The same tactic worked so well with havili in the past too and it baffles me that we haven't done it in a long time.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

-PJ- wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:33 pm
-TW- wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:24 pm 30, 31 in October

31 in Oct.
5 years is very ambitious. Running around on two bung knees can destroy careers, look at Campo for example. Realistically we would expect to get 2, maybe 3 years out of him. 5 years would be a huge effort but not entirely impossible given that he is a tough born and bred pom.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Loved the crispness of Starling's passing. The ball was clearing the ruck nice and quickly.

Don't know if it was nerves or a development area, but his close in passing needs to be more gentle and subtle or we'll see a lot of dropped ball.

Sure it's something easy enough to work on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

MrPosh wrote: July 18, 2020, 6:50 am Loved the crispness of Starling's passing. The ball was clearing the ruck nice and quickly.

Don't know if it was nerves or a development area, but his close in passing needs to be more gentle and subtle or we'll see a lot of dropped ball.

Sure it's something easy enough to work on.
I'm only basing this on that one game. His passing from the ground had a quick release but not a lot of velocity compared to someone like Hodgo. I did notice the 1st receiver seeming to 'wait' for the ball that extra fraction of a second rather. Will get a better look next week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Settle down people. Starting came off the bench and played really well on Thursday.

Let’s see how he goes for a few weeks first.

We get beat next week and half the forum will be calling for his head.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nah I'm not settling down monkey he's a future immortal aye.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

And in terms of succession planning, don’t forget we signed this kid late last year.

From the Canberra Times: “The Raiders have signed Peter Sterling Medallist Adrian Trevilyan, the North Queensland 18-year-old hooker who led Kirwan State High to victory in the NRL National Schoolboy Cup last month.”
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Starling playing well enough to earn himself a top spot at another club next year is the best outcome we can hope for i think.
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I agree with Azza..future immortal.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Starling watch

Post by Brew »

Ahh yes Little Tom Starling.

I haven’t said it on here but when Hodgo went down and a few people texted me to say Season over I replied saying we will probably be better in attack now, Hodgo tries too hard. We have this mini Damien Cook called Starling, watch out for him.

The first time I saw him in a trial at St Marys vs Parramatta I was impressed, like the look of the kid.

I’ve been calling for him to come into the squad before Hodgo got injured to give Hodgo a spell on the bench or have Hodgo at lock like we did with Baptise.

I’m massive Starling fan and I hope he continues to impress, think he is a guy we should be keeping and he seems to be liked by the squad. He reminds of a Lincoln Withers. I picked up Starlings Match Worn Nines jersey earlier this year that’s how much I like the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Some wag (one of his mates?) has edited his Wikipedia to "correct" his height to 160cm :roflmao
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

KasparRaider wrote: July 18, 2020, 9:38 am And in terms of succession planning, don’t forget we signed this kid late last year.

From the Canberra Times: “The Raiders have signed Peter Sterling Medallist Adrian Trevilyan, the North Queensland 18-year-old hooker who led Kirwan State High to victory in the NRL National Schoolboy Cup last month.”
You sure it wasn't the year before, KasparRaider? He definitely played for us in that game at Bankwest in June.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Well, maybe but he is still in our system as a long term option for dummy half.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: July 18, 2020, 3:05 pm
KasparRaider wrote: July 18, 2020, 9:38 am And in terms of succession planning, don’t forget we signed this kid late last year.

You sure it wasn't the year before, KasparRaider? He definitely played for us in that game at Bankwest in June.
He signed late last year, hasn’t played yet for the Raiders: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p1703666
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2020, 4:22 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 18, 2020, 3:05 pm

He signed late last year, hasn’t played yet for the Raiders: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p1703666
Oh, sorry KasparRaider, I completely misread that and thought it was a quote about Starling :lol:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

See how he goes this week.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

When is he off to the dogs with papali?
Dont delete this GE
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

simo wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:57 pm When is he off to the dogs with papali?
After they both win us a grand final