2020 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs
Saturday July 25 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
TV coverage: NFox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

Who would you like to see line up for the Green Machine in Round 11? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jordan Rapana
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali'i
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Kai O'Donnell

14. Tom Starling
15. Joe Tapine
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Harley Smith-Shields

18. Sam Williams
19. Darby Medlyn
20. Matt Frawley
21. John Bateman

Injury/Suspension

Curtis Scott, Infected arm (Rd 12-13)
Michael Oldfield, Hamstring (Rd 13-14)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Rd 17-19)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, until at least Rd 19, possibly season)
Sia Soliola, Palate (Indefinite, until at least Rd 20, possibly season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Alex Johnston
2. Corey Allan
3. Campbell Graham
4. Dane Gagai
5. Jaxson Paulo
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Tevita Tatola
9. Damien Cook
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Jaydn Su'A
12. Bayley Sironen
13. Cameron Murray

14. Mark Nicholls
15. Hame Sele
16. Patrick Mago
17. Jack Johns

18. Kurt Dillon
19. Keaon Koloamatangi
20. Troy Dargan
21. Steven Marsters

Officials

Referee: Ashely Klein
Touch judges: Dave Munro, Matt Noyen
Video referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSouths

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Re: 2020 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews

Post by DarkRaider »

The back half of the season has us up against current top 8 opposition in only 3 of 10 games. Assuming COVID doesn’t change things up, this is a very strong position to be in in terms of consolidating a finals spot.

It does make pushing for top 4 (which should be the goal regardless of the current injury crisis) a little tricky since you don’t have many of those 4 point games. It means those few games against the other top 8 sides are very important, starting next weekend with Souths.

Assuming Oldy isn’t quite fit, Scott comes in and Valemei gets another crack on the bench. If neither Scott or Oldy are fit we’re in a bit of trouble.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

My side:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Oldfield / Scott
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. O'Donnell

14. Starling
15. Tapine
16. Sutton
17. Valemei / Scott

18. Bateman
19. Medlyn
20. Williams
21. HSS
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's pretty much all we're left with. I think Taps will wear the 13 but be on the bench again.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Taps is working well off the bench. Especially when we don’t have Horsburgh or Guler as excellent bench replacements.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sutton finding some decent form too which is critical.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Same team that got beaten 50-0 against the roosters.... Oh, wait... 😶🙄🤣
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Injury Update: Oldfield Hamstring

Michael Oldfield has been ruled out with a hamstring injury, following last night's win over the Roosters.
Oldfield will begin treatment and rehabilitation training this week but is likely to miss 2-3 weeks.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... hamstring/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That'll mean Scott slots back in and you'd assume Valemei on the bench.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

With AFB not allowed to travel to Townsville next week because of no flu needle, will that mean the same for Papa?? I hope the Qld government opens it up!!! There is people already in Qld who didn’t get the flu shot!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Oldfield's injury gives Scott another chance. It's up to him to take it.

The only other change I'd make is Sutting starting at lock. He was greats starting a few weeks ago. Deserves another go.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 17, 2020, 5:11 pm With AFB not allowed to travel to Townsville next week because of no flu needle, will that mean the same for Papa?? I hope the Qld government opens it up!!! There is people already in Qld who didn’t get the flu shot!!!
If we weren't in such an injury crisis I'd just take it on the chin and use it as an opportunity to give papa a rest before the run home.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 17, 2020, 5:11 pm With AFB not allowed to travel to Townsville next week because of no flu needle, will that mean the same for Papa?? I hope the Qld government opens it up!!! There is people already in Qld who didn’t get the flu shot!!!
Looks like the Queensland Government is not going to relax it. But they have just taken a whole pile of AFL teams in which don't require it. So it is probably more a case that they are simply saying to the NRL... you promised it, we moved heaven and earth for you, you're messing us around, see you later. It'll be a huge blow if we can't take Papalii and Tapine to Townsville. HUGE.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2020, 7:38 pm
Looks like the Queensland Government is not going to relax it. But they have just taken a whole pile of AFL teams in which don't require it. So it is probably more a case that they are simply saying to the NRL... you promised it, we moved heaven and earth for you, you're messing us around, see you later. It'll be a huge blow if we can't take Papalii and Tapine to Townsville. HUGE.
Do we even have 2 forwards to replace them?
Vaccinated
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Loved the win over Roosters, my goodness we seriously need to take dives to draw penalties like Roosters did, i loved if you watch the replay, when starling kicks it, Rapana loses his **** at him lol, lui had 2 very good games in a row, Papa is the Bear, tapine killed, liking youngs workload, rapana finding form and passion, if anything upset me its Croker, he missed crucial tackles that other players just covered, Semi held his ground well, he will blossem in time. Loving the starling/havilli combo, I said to my self now wighton/williams have to run the show since hodgo is gone, and they did well.

Another tough one, still think we need abit more aggression, hopefully they build confidence through that win.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson

Post by Ilanraiders »

Huge blow alright!! Me n my family heading down to the cows game!! Really hope Papa n Taps is on the flight up!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

No Curtis Scott. We know he is not up to it and the club needs to do all they can to drive him out. Not making the side when there is practically no other options should do that,

Bring in HSS - he will be better than Scott at least and we need to know how much he needs to develop
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This is going to be a pretty tough one to win I think. Down on troops and the team spent a lot of emotional energy to make that win happen.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Colk wrote: July 18, 2020, 6:12 pm No Curtis Scott. We know he is not up to it and the club needs to do all they can to drive him out. Not making the side when there is practically no other options should do that,

Bring in HSS - he will be better than Scott at least and we need to know how much he needs to develop
Scott has had half a dozen average games it is way to early to be trying to push him out the door. If he is still struggling come end of the season or even into next season that is another story. Pushing him out now will only see the Raiders paying for him to play for somewhere else for the next 3 years.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Raidersteve wrote: July 18, 2020, 7:03 pm
Colk wrote: July 18, 2020, 6:12 pm No Curtis Scott. We know he is not up to it and the club needs to do all they can to drive him out. Not making the side when there is practically no other options should do that,

Scott has had half a dozen average games it is way to early to be trying to push him out the door. If he is still struggling come end of the season or even into next season that is another story. Pushing him out now will only see the Raiders paying for him to play for somewhere else for the next 3 years.
Nominally I would agree but that game against the Knights was one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen in first grade by anybody. He offers nothing in attack or defence so it is not just poor form or attitude; it is to do with not being good enough for first grade. His signing has also directly cost us two players which has made our squad so much weaker.

Keeping him on the books will mean that other players will leave either by draining our resources (like Cotric) or blocking the path of players with more natural ability (HSS or Timoko)

I see the start of another Broncos or Bulldogs situation by keeping him on the books essentially.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Colk wrote: July 18, 2020, 7:37 pm

Nominally I would agree but that game against the Knights was one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen in first grade by anybody. He offers nothing in attack or defence so it is not just poor form or attitude; it is to do with not being good enough for first grade. His signing has also directly cost us two players which has made our squad so much weaker.

Keeping him on the books will mean that other players will leave either by draining our resources (like Cotric) or blocking the path of players with more natural ability (HSS or Timoko)

I see the start of another Broncos or Bulldogs situation by keeping him on the books essentially.
He is on the books wether we play him or not. Give the guy a chance to prove his worth. His first 2 games were good.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Colk wrote:

Worst performance by anyone in first grade? Did you just start watching? Jack Wighton has had as many bad games in green as Scott. Are you in favour of pushing him out too? You need to calm down champ.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Give Timoko a shot at right centre ?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 18, 2020, 12:52 am
Huge blow alright!! Me n my family heading down to the cows game!! Really hope Papa n Taps is on the flight up!!
Are they selling tickets to the general public?
Vaccinated
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Raider Azz wrote: July 18, 2020, 8:33 pm
Colk wrote:

Worst performance by anyone in first grade? Did you just start watching? Jack Wighton has had as many bad games in green as Scott. Are you in favour of pushing him out too? You need to calm down champ.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I probably do need to temper it a little bit but there is literally no upside to his game. Is he any sort of attacking threat? Is he a strong defender? Has he got a passing game? Wighton has had some stinkers over the years but there has always been plenty of upside with him as with other players like Croker and Rapana.

You need to be brutal sometimes - do you think the Roosters for example would not be trying to offload him right about now; or do you think they would be giving him more game time because oh well we have made a big mistake but we’ll keep him because he is on our books and we need to play him.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Two ways you can approach the Scott situation ,,, give him some love and support,,, or disregard him completely.
I vote we all show a little faith in in him,,,,at least for a little longer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d still pick Smith-Shields ahead of Valemei. Not only is the consensus that he’s a much better player but he covers wing, centre and fullback rather than only the wing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson

Post by Ilanraiders »

cat wrote: July 18, 2020, 9:00 pm
Ilanraiders wrote: July 18, 2020, 12:52 am
Are they selling tickets to the general public?
Cowboys members only I think as of next week Monday
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

magoo wrote: July 19, 2020, 3:05 am Two ways you can approach the Scott situation ,,, give him some love and support,,, or disregard him completely.
I vote we all show a little faith in in him,,,,at least for a little longer
It’s a tough decision to make but you have to consider not only that he is supposedly out of form but is he ever going to represent $500k worth of value? For a centre that kind of money is maybe not rep money but it is pretty close. Do you see a rep centre in him at his very best.

My opinion of him is pretty harsh but I just don’t see a good first grade centre let alone a rep one; so if that is the case then you have to try and find him another club
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: July 19, 2020, 7:50 am I’d still pick Smith-Shields ahead of Valemei. Not only is the consensus that he’s a much better player but he covers wing, centre and fullback rather than only the wing.
That was the general consensus by people who had seen much of the junior teams. But Valemi seems to have leapfrogged him.

Why do people think that is?
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:12 am
julian87 wrote: July 19, 2020, 7:50 am I’d still pick Smith-Shields ahead of Valemei. Not only is the consensus that he’s a much better player but he covers wing, centre and fullback rather than only the wing.
That was the general consensus by people who had seen much of the junior teams. But Valemi seems to have leapfrogged him.

Maybe he is thinking of the wing position in general and that Valemi might fit the mould of a first grade winger more than HSS or Timoko? I hope that just means that Ricky gives Timoko and HSS a shot at centre rather than anything else. How quick is this Valemi btw because HSS and Timoko are quick?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I know it's cliche to throw out the old 'this is our most important gave of the season' at any point in the season even when it's not that important, but I feel the next two games are for us.

We'll be expected to win them and if we do it'll not only cement our place in the top 8, but then give us good momentum going into the tough task of the Panthers away, after which will come what should be the three of the season's easiest games (Broncos, Titans, Bulldogs). From there it's one more tough task (Roosters), then Dragons, Warriors, Sharks. Two of those should also be comfortable.

With the way we're going and our style, we're at low risk of losing to bottom rank teams, so it's those middle tier battlers like the Rabbitohs we need to make sure we account for to ensure we're there in the finals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Floggings lead to Tom's Starling effort for Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders coaching staff have been flogging Tom Starling and the other squad players. It's why the Raiders back-up hooker was able to get through 48 straight minutes despite having not played in four months.

"Obviously without reserve grade it's a bit harder. We've got a really good squad down there, we're all working hard. Our strength and conditioning coaches are flogging us. It's not easy. 'Sticky' told us we're going to need to step up at some stage of the season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Good to know the coaching staff have them ready
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

BadnMean wrote: July 19, 2020, 10:12 am

B/c he's the next Noa Nadruku.

Didn't you hear Ricky on Thursday night?
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.