All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Corey Harawira-Naera set to join Raiders to end 2022

Post by Johno »

greeneyed wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:28 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 22, 2020, 6:35 pm Yeah..

We gave them Stuart and Clyde.
We just gave them Cotric! This morning!
Yeah and dont forget we let them have Clay Priest
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Glad to see everyone in such a good mood!

Love the accolades going to Ricky. He has put his mark over the whole club.

Can we agree that if the team loses a few over the next couple of years, nobody will call for his head?

It sounds obvious now, but unfortunately that's what happens.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

bonehead wrote: July 22, 2020, 8:53 pm
Neeeegz wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:29 pm As if GMGT isn't nickman
Yep, 100%. He sits in a room with 5 monitors, 2 accounts open on each screen, and hires 2 octopi to type his replys..It's the only logical answer I can come up with..
He may have sharks with laser beams also, but that's a different theory
nah, I can vouch exactly for who Cueball and gmgt are

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Am I close tho ?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Neeeegz wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 22, 2020, 8:53 pm
Neeeegz wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: July 22, 2020, 7:29 pm As if GMGT isn't nickman
Yep, 100%. He sits in a room with 5 monitors, 2 accounts open on each screen, and hires 2 octopi to type his replys..It's the only logical answer I can come up with..
He may have sharks with laser beams also, but that's a different theory
nah, I can vouch exactly for who Cueball and gmgt are

Am I close tho ?
nope, not an alternate account crazy but true

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t know where to put this, it’s tangentially related to CHN perhaps assuming that Bateman injury money has been used so here may well do. And don’t get me wrong, this is all very exciting - good time to be a Raiders fan... BUT

I’m not sure I’m a big fan of the NRL allowing injury cap exemptions to be utilised after the player has returned. The exemption is for you to replace the player, not to be able to save it up and have both play at once so that you may have a team that realistically is an above cap team in the finals.

I think they really need to be careful on these mid season transfers also. Potential for risk with teams striking up deals to loan/short term sell players in years they won’t make the 8 with their partner team. Partner team gets to add cut price talent for short periods to their book for increased shot at the premiership. Reciprocate in future.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 22, 2020, 9:37 pm I don’t know where to put this, it’s tangentially related to CHN perhaps assuming that Bateman injury money has been used so here may well do. And don’t get me wrong, this is all very exciting - good time to be a Raiders fan... BUT

I’m not sure I’m a big fan of the NRL allowing injury cap exemptions to be utilised after the player has returned. The exemption is for you to replace the player, not to be able to save it up and have both play at once so that you may have a team that realistically is an above cap team in the finals.

I think they really need to be careful on these mid season transfers also. Potential for risk with teams striking up deals to loan/short term sell players in years they won’t make the 8 with their partner team. Partner team gets to add cut price talent for short periods to their book for increased shot at the premiership. Reciprocate in future.
Why? The Raiders have been disadvantaged for the entire first half of the season. Surely they should receive rep injury cap compensation, regardless of the timing?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Corey Harawira-Naera set to join Raiders to end 2022

Post by gangrenous »

Because I think the cap should be kept consistent across the season and you shouldn’t be able to borrow from yourself across time like that to effectively create an above cap team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 22, 2020, 9:52 pm Because I think the cap should be kept consistent across the season and you shouldn’t be able to borrow from yourself across time like that to effectively create an above cap team.
I personally think that’s impracticable. What you’re effectively saying, I think, is that the cap should be enforced on a six monthly basis, or less. It can’t be. They can’t even do that on an annual basis, with clubs spreading deals over years.

The Roosters are about to sign Sonny Bill Williams! Our little deal pales!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: July 22, 2020, 9:52 pm Because I think the cap should be kept consistent across the season and you shouldn’t be able to borrow from yourself across time like that to effectively create an above cap team.
So how do you manage it of you sign a player before the guy returns? Do you have to cut the replacement again? If that was the case you would never be able to use your compensation because nobody will transfer to you club knowing they'll be out of a job several weeks later.

The biggest problem with giving cap relief mid season is finding a viable replacement. All the decent players are contracted to other clubs. Raiders could have been shopping for weeks trying to find somebody to fill the gap. Its even harder at the moment with bio security bubbles and lack of reserve grade comp running. If nobody is available you can't use you cap relief at the time it's awarded.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

gangrenous wrote:Because I think the cap should be kept consistent across the season and you shouldn’t be able to borrow from yourself across time like that to effectively create an above cap team.

Don’t forget said player has to miss at least 12 games, so if Johnny B plays this weekend or next we’ll lose the extra $$$ we’ve been afforded.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Great signing. Also here is his highlights video from last year along with a lot of comments which haven't aged well :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7125148593
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
I personally think that’s impracticable. What you’re effectively saying, I think, is that the cap should be enforced on a six monthly basis, or less. It can’t be. They can’t even do that on an annual basis, with clubs spreading deals over years.

The Roosters are about to sign Sonny Bill Williams! Our little deal pales!
There seems to be enforced limits to what they can do in terms of balancing over years? Frontloading is also limited by risking players upping and leaving their contracts these days.

The SBW case is the perfect example supporting my point (particularly in 2014 when he was elite). You just shouldn’t be able to have a player come into your team partway through a season and put a million dollar player on your cap for 200k or less because they’re only going to be in your team for a short period of the year. It’s getting you a team 800k over the cap. It shouldn’t be allowed, it perverts the cap.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:
So how do you manage it of you sign a player before the guy returns? Do you have to cut the replacement again? If that was the case you would never be able to use your compensation because nobody will transfer to you club knowing they'll be out of a job several weeks later.

The biggest problem with giving cap relief mid season is finding a viable replacement. All the decent players are contracted to other clubs. Raiders could have been shopping for weeks trying to find somebody to fill the gap. Its even harder at the moment with bio security bubbles and lack of reserve grade comp running. If nobody is available you can't use you cap relief at the time it's awarded.
I’m not sure what the answer is to compensating teams adequately for rep injuries. But I don’t think this system is fair and makes sense under the cap.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i think a massive part of why our recruitment is going well is the professional working relationship between don, rick and peter mullholland. there a lot to be said for a team that has its front office in order and ours seem to be very trusting of eachothers opinions and back eachother. helps that they are all doing a good job
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 23, 2020, 7:56 am i think a massive part of why our recruitment is going well is the professional working relationship between don, rick and peter mullholland. there a lot to be said for a team that has its front office in order and ours seem to be very trusting of eachothers opinions and back eachother. helps that they are all doing a good job
Yep, they all seem to be in sync. Mulholland does the grunt work, Don handles the commercial aspect but Sticky is effectively the boss of that department. They still work as one unit though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 22, 2020, 9:43 pm
gangrenous wrote: July 22, 2020, 9:37 pm I don’t know where to put this, it’s tangentially related to CHN perhaps assuming that Bateman injury money has been used so here may well do. And don’t get me wrong, this is all very exciting - good time to be a Raiders fan... BUT

Why? The Raiders have been disadvantaged for the entire first half of the season. Surely they should receive rep injury cap compensation, regardless of the timing?
You have a 30 player roster for a reason.
The NRL will give you compensation if your injury toll is great enough that you exceed that 30, even if its just a horror run in a specific position.
I totally understand the international compensation setup, and we have been hit by it a couple of times in recent yrs. You should be just given compensation to bring the next man up in that players position, OR, spend that amount (min wage) on a new player. So all you are doing is using your depth or adding depth.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

so just oh CHN's alledged "offence", does anyone know what he actually did? theres so much junk around about it - the water just seems so muddied from what okunbor did.
from what i can find he slept with EDIT a consenting aged schoolgirl in a club provided hotel room. the woman was met outside from the school the dogs visited.
the main thing he seems to have been sanctioned for was for bringing a girl back to the club provided hotel room which was against their protocol.
so has anyone got a clearer picture of this?
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 23, 2020, 8:41 am so just oh CHN's alledged "offence", does anyone know what he actually did? theres so much junk around about it - the water just seems so muddied from what okunbor did.
from what i can find he slept with EDIT a consenting aged schoolgirl in a club provided hotel room. the woman was met outside from the school the dogs visited.
the main thing he seems to have been sanctioned for was for bringing a girl back to the club provided hotel room which was against their protocol.
I don't think there's any pictures. It wasn't Tyrone May.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 8:42 am
simo wrote: July 23, 2020, 8:41 am so just oh CHN's alledged "offence", does anyone know what he actually did? theres so much junk around about it - the water just seems so muddied from what okunbor did.
there were pictures for the okonbur one...
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 23, 2020, 8:43 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 8:42 am
there were pictures for the okonbur one...
You have a clearer picture than me then. :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This provides a summary and links to published reports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Harawira-Naera

We don’t know who brought a schoolteacher to the hotel rooms. At least I can’t find that. There is a SMH article indicating that both schoolgirls told the players they were 18 years old, but it is only reported that Okunbor was involved with a 16 year old schoolgirl. We don’t know the age of the other schoolgirl Harawira-Naera was involved with. Based on those reports... which don’t really provide a full picture.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:02 am
This provides a summary and links to published reports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Harawira-Naera

We don’t know who brought a schoolteacher to the hotel rooms. At least I can’t find that. There is a SMH article indicating that both schoolgirls told the players they were 18 years old, but it is only reported that Okunbor was involved with a 16 year old schoolgirl. We don’t know the age of the other schoolgirl Harawira-Naera was involved with. Based on those reports... which don’t really provide a full picture.
While we don't know the full details what we do know is these details were presented to the Appeals Board and they determined the intial penalty was too harsh. That is something we rarely see so you can only think there was a decent case.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm Bate Man wrote: July 23, 2020, 12:11 am
gangrenous wrote:Because I think the cap should be kept consistent across the season and you shouldn’t be able to borrow from yourself across time like that to effectively create an above cap team.

Don’t forget said player has to miss at least 12 games, so if Johnny B plays this weekend or next we’ll lose the extra $$$ we’ve been afforded.
It’s a 20 game season he’s already missed the amount of games required and the cap compensation has been approved.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

for something that saw a bloke sit out half a season, details are extremely limited. very strange. boot well and truly laid in by rashays who used it to get 100% value out of a sponsorship they never had to pay for
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:14 am
I'm Bate Man wrote: July 23, 2020, 12:11 am

It’s a 20 game season he’s already missed the amount of games required and the cap compensation has been approved.
thats a great outcome
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:09 am

While we don't know the full details what we do know is these details were presented to the Appeals Board and they determined the intial penalty was too harsh. That is something we rarely see so you can only think there was a decent case.
That’s true, and it’s clear that Harawira-Naera received a lesser punishment.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:23 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:09 am

That’s true, and it’s clear that Harawira-Naera received a lesser punishment.
so little info, so many people throwing mud
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Oh man they are SO mad over at The Kennel :lol:

Absolutely vile bunch
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: July 23, 2020, 9:40 am Oh man they are SO mad over at The Kennel :lol:

Absolutely vile bunch
It's good reading. They are all angry but not really sure who to be angry at. Either CHN, Dogs management, Raiders or the NRL. It's a masterclass in frustration and confusion. :lol:
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Tough month for the Dogs. They thought they had Bateman, then overpaid for Crotic, then thought CHN would be back.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Or you can just move on from it and let it go? Why are you so strung up about it? Did he sleep with your girlfriend?

We finally have footy discussion and a signing and you want to change the spotlight back to "what he did" get the **** over it, it's none of your business to be perfectly Frank.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

CHN seems to play on the left from the highlights package. Does he stay on the left and we move EW or does CHN shift? My view would be not to move EW. Thoughts?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

GMGT wrote: July 23, 2020, 10:34 am
Or you can just move on from it and let it go? Why are you so strung up about it? Did he sleep with your girlfriend?

We finally have footy discussion and a signing and you want to change the spotlight back to "what we did" get the **** over it, it's none of your business to per perfectly Frank.
didnt realise asking a question meant i was strung up on something. especially since its something specifically to do with this exact thread. thanks anyway, frank.
apologies if i join the crowd of people who think you can probably just go and EDIT.
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I don't understand why they think the guy they summarily sacked for poor behaviour (fair enough decision given the circumstances)- but who they then left swinging without so much as a follow up R U OK from the coach/board/welafer officer/HR as he lost his career, his reputation and went into lockdown... why they think he would come back and be expected to turn out for them again.

It's about as clear a case of, "ok, maybe we are all best off with a clean slate and fresh start somewhere else I've ever seen." Both parties have case to feel aggrieved. Neither will be feeling positive to the other. Why on earth would he stay?

Doggies fans. Delusional. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't such bloody awful fans to be around at the games.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

RedRaider wrote: July 23, 2020, 10:37 am CHN seems to play on the left from the highlights package. Does he stay on the left and we move EW or does CHN shift? My view would be not to move EW. Thoughts?
He starts from the bench, seeing as he doesn't just get to waltz into our team willy nilly. What has he ever achieved in his career to even considering moving Elliott out of position for him. That would just be dumb, really dumb.