Corey Harawira-Naera signs with Raiders to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Corey Harawira-Naera reportedly on the Raiders radar

Post by dribble73 »

greeneyed wrote:I think it is unfair to raiderskater to dismiss her concerns in the way some posters have. I think people should be more polite to her. Maybe some posters could consider that she has a very valid, and different perspective on it, and not only because she's female. But perhaps that also gives her an insight on it you don't have.

I'm concerned about the points she raises. I can certainly understand why the NRL and club took the action they did, given the reported facts. I'm also not sure I know the full story. I'm not sure why the appeals body took its decision. I can see there is the potential for double standards, and unreasonable standards when there appears to be no legal wrongdoing.

In any case, we don't even know for sure if the Raiders are interested. It might become more relevant if they confirm their interest.
Raiderskater’s point seems to be referring directly to Okunbor’s indiscretion. CHN breached a club policy, not the law.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Corey Harawira-Naera reportedly on the Raiders radar

Post by greeneyed »

I’m not sure either player broke any laws did they? The NRL and the appeals body seem to disagree with each other, but both seem to think that at least some form of punishment was warranted for both players. But I’m happy to be set straight on what happened.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Finchy wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:27 pm
GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:25 pm Never heard of him in my life except for the scandal. Why are you all quick to say "yes sign him up!!" Is he really that good? Because as far as I'm concerned he is a nobody who is already getting in trouble off the field in his very brief nrl career.. sounds like exactly what we need, ey?
CHN was a gun when he was at Penrith (killed it in Supercoach) and pretty good at the Dogs. Definitely not a nobody.
Well and truly a nobody in my books. I'll let him prove me wrong.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Wow haha
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

the initial reports for CHN were that he brought back a teacher who didn't teach at any of the schools he went to but later the story changed to 18yo schoolgirl he met outside any school visit.
Raiderskater I respect your point of view but 18 to 25 isn't really a big deal in society, my mother inlaw is 10yrs older than my father inlaw, he was 17 when they met, been married 47 years. Trainee at work at 18yo is in a relationship with a 24yo colleague.
I don't defend Okunbor whatsoever but details of CHN indiscretion is less clear.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Raiders666 wrote: July 14, 2020, 7:31 am Wow haha
You seem shocked, are you okay?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Lui_Bon wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:27 pm
casta66 wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:11 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:34 pm I think it is unfair to raiderskater to dismiss her concerns in the way some posters have. I think people should be more polite to her. Maybe some posters could consider that she has a very valid, and different perspective on it, and not only because she's female. But perhaps that also gives her an insight on it you don't have.

I'm concerned about the points she raises. I can certainly understand why the NRL and club took the action they did, given the reported facts. I'm also not sure I know the full story. I'm not sure why the appeals body took its decision. I can see there is the potential for double standards, and unreasonable standards when there appears to be no legal wrongdoing.

In any case, we don't even know for sure if the Raiders are interested. It might become more relevant if they confirm their interest.
Well put.

There hasn't been as much written about what CHN did as opposed to Okunbor.

I felt sick when I read the article about Okunbor.

Having said that, I have two daughters. And I'm also married to their mum, and value my family highly.

So i come from a different perspective than the majority of NRL fans who only consider this a wonderful redemption story, worthy of imitation.
Agree.

I also have daughters of footy-player-dating age, and not only have they, they might again. I'm not naming any names. But I'm no fan of Okunbor, as a player or a man. CHN, well, I was surprised to hear something about a "schoolteacher" on the news earlier tonight. I'm not sure what the crime might be there. Seems to me that facts have been so scrambled that it's really hard to find a moral position, but in a purely football context only one of these possible signings makes any sense at all - that's Harewira-Naera to be clear. And I respect any fan who says they can't get behind it from a moral viewpoint. Not sure I would be worried come the finals etc etc but I'm certainly not going to say they are wrong.
100% agree. My daughter is only 5 but it doesnt take much to put yourselves in the shoes of the mothers and fathers here and see a the huge breach of responsibility that occurred here by Okunbor, that's a heavy no from me. There is a clear and monumental difference in what he did and what CHN did... there was no breach of responsibility to his club or position, or inappropriate action by him IMO, but then i am married to a woman 10 years my elder, and we meet when i was 20... i cant see why that's any different to 18 and 25.

They were consenting adults, and CHN was not at the school. This is no different to him meeting a 18 year at the club or at a coffee shop or where ever. It's not my business to tell consenting adults what to do.

And if you dont like what CHN did on moral grounds, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it and it should be respected. I've got no problem with that. But that doesnt mean you get to go and make inaccurate and potential defamatory claims about the person's actions the way a poster has done repeatedly.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

We lose a couple of games and suddenly everyone wants to "sign up immediately" someone who has already been in hot water and also proven absolutely nothing at nrl level. Go figure. Take us back to the glory days of when was it...? 2012? Or 2013/14/15 which years were the prime Dugan and Ferguson era??
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's impossible to pass judgement on CHN unless you know exactly what happened.

Okunbor's situation is a bit more cut and dried. I'm shocked his appeal was successful.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:23 am We lose a couple of games and suddenly everyone wants to "sign up immediately" someone who has already been in hot water and also proven absolutely nothing at nrl level. Go figure. Take us back to the glory days of when was it...? 2012? Or 2013/14/15 which years were the prime Dugan and Ferguson era??
If you think he's proven nothing at an NRL level when he's played at a level good enough to play international football, then you're kind of telling on yourself there.

He is by no means a superstar, because he does has some deficiencies in his game, his defensive decision making is a problem at times (other times it's not, which i think at least speaks to the fact the inconsistency could be coached out of him) but he is most definitely an above average NRL edge forward.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by GreenMachine »

julian87 wrote: July 13, 2020, 6:21 pm I reckon the club would be all over this. Use the exemption this year and a better contract moving forward. Young and Bateman to play up the guts if they make it happen.
Yes agree.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 14, 2020, 8:24 am It's impossible to pass judgement on CHN unless you know exactly what happened.

Okunbor's situation is a bit more cut and dried. I'm shocked his appeal was successful.
Agree. CHN could be viewed as a personal matter, other than breaking team protocol. NRL is not really in a position to dictate players sexual relationships so not really surprised they were able to argue against his deregistration. Okunbor is a different matter as it was a massive breach of trust when acting as a representative of the club and the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Would be mad not to have a crack

Get it done
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Troll activity is getting out of hand haha
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ill say up front, Im on the fence a bit with this one.

1stly, there is a good reason why Okunbor got a month longer than CHN as a revised punishment.
2nd, an impartial legal proceeding overturned the NRLs original decision. Therefore, you might need to scale back what you think you know about what happened. Coz you can take it to the bank, that if they were in the legal wrong here, they would be done. Does that excuse the grey area they were 'working' in here? No. But as others have said, they were consenting adults, and they have been handed revised punishments, which are almost served.

I have a daughter (she has an older brother too if that makes any difference), born right on that school cut off age, and my wife and i have decided we dont want a 'young' yr 12 graduate. So we will be holding her back so that she graduates at 18, not 17. So, I/ we have already made my call on 'boys being boys'.

As for signing CHN, there is no doubting the talent. You dont play multiple games for your country and star in an all stars game (was it this yr or last? Covid has screwed up my timelines) if you are a hack. The good think about CHN and Bateman, and Whitey for that matter, all 3 can play edge or lock. Im torn as to Bateman or CHN in the middle though. CHN runs a great line, hard and straight, and will break the line. Bateman is a much better/ reliable defender. However, I want Bateman around the ball, so... maybe CHN defends in the middle and attacks on the edge and vice versa?

Lets face it, if we sign CHN it will be a media circus. BUT, before you role out the 'no DH policy', we signed Curtis Scott, who isnt the cleanest bloke going around either. Its blown up in our face too, so?!?!?

For footy reasons I wanna get him as its a pretty solid replacement for Bateman long term, but can totally see the other side of this.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Bateman's not replaceable but CHN would be a very formidable addition, if he's interested in coming to Canberra
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:36 am Ill say up front, Im on the fence a bit with this one.

1stly, there is a good reason why Okunbor got a month longer than CHN as a revised punishment.
2nd, an impartial legal proceeding overturned the NRLs original decision. Therefore, you might need to scale back what you think you know about what happened. Coz you can take it to the bank, that if they were in the legal wrong here, they would be done. Does that excuse the grey area they were 'working' in here? No. But as others have said, they were consenting adults, and they have been handed revised punishments, which are almost served.

I have a daughter (she has an older brother too if that makes any difference), born right on that school cut off age, and my wife and i have decided we dont want a 'young' yr 12 graduate. So we will be holding her back so that she graduates at 18, not 17. So, I/ we have already made my call on 'boys being boys'.

As for signing CHN, there is no doubting the talent. You dont play multiple games for your country and star in an all stars game (was it this yr or last? Covid has screwed up my timelines) if you are a hack. The good think about CHN and Bateman, and Whitey for that matter, all 3 can play edge or lock. Im torn as to Bateman or CHN in the middle though. CHN runs a great line, hard and straight, and will break the line. Bateman is a much better/ reliable defender. However, I want Bateman around the ball, so... maybe CHN defends in the middle and attacks on the edge and vice versa?

Lets face it, if we sign CHN it will be a media circus. BUT, before you role out the 'no DH policy', we signed Curtis Scott, who isnt the cleanest bloke going around either. Its blown up in our face too, so?!?!?

For footy reasons I wanna get him as its a pretty solid replacement for Bateman long term, but can totally see the other side of this.
Maybe not. At the time I noticed the majority of social media commentary was similiar to what we've seen here. There was moralistic outrage by a few but most were saying he'd hadn't done much wrong. Now a separate legal process has also supported his case the general media won't be sensationalising his return that much.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:44 am
Matt wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:36 am Ill say up front, Im on the fence a bit with this one.

Maybe not. At the time I noticed the majority of social media commentary was similiar to what we've seen here. There was moralistic outrage by a few but most were saying he'd hadn't done much wrong. Now a separate legal process has also supported his case the general media won't be sensationalising his return that much.
yeah, NRL media had a redemption story :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t think signing CHN would result in much backlash at all
There would be a 24 hr news cycle of course and people who have their say but I don’t think it would be one that lasted much beyond that
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I was initially opposed to CHN, but the more you read about it the more it’s clear that he got swept up in the circus surrounding Okunbor. CHN broke club policy and did something stupid. Okunbor did something that, whilst not illegal, was very very icky.

He would do a good job for us, and at much less money than Bateman was on.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 12:00 pm I don’t think signing CHN would result in much backlash at all
There would be a 24 hr news cycle of course and people who have their say but I don’t think it would be one that lasted much beyond that
Agree.
People are overblowing this.
Put me down as another with a daughter that doesn’t make me any sort of moral barometer on the moral implications.
Footballers have sat out for worse.
At the end of the day, he’s a good replacement for Bateman and would improve us next season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: July 14, 2020, 12:48 pm
Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 12:00 pm I don’t think signing CHN would result in much backlash at all
Agree.
People are overblowing this.
Put me down as another with a daughter that doesn’t make me any sort of moral barometer on the moral implications.
Footballers have sat out for worse.
At the end of the day, he’s a good replacement for Bateman and would improve us next season.
Like bubblers :D
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:34 pm I think it is unfair to raiderskater to dismiss her concerns in the way some posters have. I think people should be more polite to her. Maybe some posters could consider that she has a very valid, and different perspective on it, and not only because she's female. But perhaps that also gives her an insight on it you don't have.

Understood and apologies to Raiderskater, frustration got the better of me as our season slips away and our Premiership window begins to close
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 7:21 am
GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:25 pm Never heard of him in my life except for the scandal. Why are you all quick to say "yes sign him up!!" Is he really that good? Because as far as I'm concerned he is a nobody who is already getting in trouble off the field in his very brief nrl career.. sounds like exactly what we need, ey?
CHN was a gun when he was at Penrith (killed it in Supercoach) and pretty good at the Dogs. Definitely not a nobody.
Well and truly a nobody in my books. I'll let him prove me wrong.
He’s represented his country, so again, not a nobody just because you haven’t heard of him. The rest of the league community has
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Panthers were not happy to release him.
He’s as legitimate chance of replacing Bateman and improving our variation in attack on the edge as your likely to find.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Timbo wrote: July 14, 2020, 12:41 pm I was initially opposed to CHN, but the more you read about it the more it’s clear that he got swept up in the circus surrounding Okunbor. CHN broke club policy and did something stupid. Okunbor did something that, whilst not illegal, was very very icky.

He would do a good job for us, and at much less money than Bateman was on.
That's about where I stand.

At the time I was pretty clear Okunbor had crossed some professional boundaries that would get someone sacked and possibly not rehired in an industry, given the morally reprehensible nature, given sailing close to the wind on more than one legal issue and the sheer damage done to game/club by his actions. I'll let the tribunals decide if he should be allowed back and clubs do as they decide.

CHN was a different category. I expected he might be sacked by the club for his part but expected him to be in the NRL again. I'd only be wary because of what happened with Scott- hired a loose unit and it has blown up for his loose unit ways.

But we are slightly ahead of teh curb with that as a club. Taylor was a risk and he did pretty well with his chance for us. Jr Paulo and Joey Leilua were risks who did pretty well with their chances with us- all 3 let go for $$$/value reasons but offered a good crack on the park and didn't let the club down off the park either.

I'd be a no to Okunbor, a yes to CHN. But I'm understanding of those who are a no to both- I can see multiple reasons why.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

I hope we don't recruit via supercoach
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RichmondRaider wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:31 pm
I hope we don't recruit via supercoach
Veering off pist there
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I was pretty keen on CHN when it became clear that Bateman was goneski. I think he'd be a good value addition (and would almost certainly cost significantly less than Bateman).

He can fade out of games, but has impact and has looked good in a terrible team...as opposed to Scott who looked OK in a great team.

Picking up standouts in a bad team is usually a much better proposition. Especially in the forwards.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Corey Harawira-Naera reportedly on the Raiders radar

Post by raiderskater »

You can absolutely tell that this is a male-dominated thread. Absolutely.

EDIT

The NRL made it clear they interviewed two teenage schoolgirls. The police said no law was technically broken. That puts the girls between 16-18. Both of them. That puts CHN, at minimum, EDIT *six years older than the teenage schoolgirl he picked up. The power imbalance is massive. The life experience imbalance is massive. It is nothing short of predatory for older men to go seeking out girls that are barely adult (or not even adult). And regardless of being 18, if someone's still in high school/college, they are not an adult.

And let's not even get started on the issue of sixteen being made the age of consent, without restriction on age gaps, in NSW. EDIT

I had to laugh at the number of people in this thread who said "I don't think there'll be backlash". Of course there won't be. Why? Because rugby league is dominated by male fans, a majority of whom are most certainly secretly jealous CHN picked up a schoolgirl EDIT younger than him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Can someone clear up which player it was that hooked up with the teacher?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He was 22 when it occurred and a football player to boot, which means he's as dumb as a pallet load of bricks. I don't know how old the girl was but clearly she was above the age of consent.

Of course that does not excuse the fact that he did the wrong thing here. He made a massive mistake. Depending on his attitude he deserves a second chance. The NRL has forgiven players in the past who have broken the law (which he hasn't) and welcomed them back into the game. From reports he has shown a great deal of remorse and isn't a total **** bag.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we please keep to the facts, and the information which is publicly available in reputable news media reports. If you're making claims they need to be well based, as well based as they can be, anyway.

There are a number of stories linked in the relevant Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Har ... ontroversy

You can all read the stories included as footnotes.

There is still no doubt uncertainty about the facts. I've not found any story which explains the age of both schoolgirls, but it is clear they were of legal age. It is reported another woman, a school teacher, was also brought to the team hotel. Corey Harawira-Naera was 24 at the time.

I've included a few of the linked stories below:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 935f60e454

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jayden ... 54i7e.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8c7c0a8811

I can see both sides of the arguments and there are a lot of valid points which have been posted in the thread... can we please avoid over the top commentary and treat other posters with respect.

If people can find more definitive information in publicly available reports, please include the links.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What's the situation ?
The Bulldogs did sack him yes ?
Is he available to other clubs ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Thanks GE.

So known facts are that CHN met a girl of consensual age and met at the team hotel. They did not meet at a school visit. All other commentary is assumptions, she may have been 18, at which point they may have met in a pub. There is zero mention of anything predatory or aggressive. There is no mention of how they met at all, the girls age, who approached who with what agenda.

I have been involved in male dominated sports previously, and have seen predatory women approaching popular sports stars just as often as I have seen males approach females.

Given he has not broken any laws despite investigation, he has had his ban rescinded and appears to have been tarred with the same brush as Okinbur, I’m prepared to give benefit of the doubt.

There IS more info on Okinbur, therefor I feel more comfortable saying he should never be seen in green.