All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Ennis - Sign Billy Walters

Post by KasparRaider »

The famous name the Canberra Raiders need to sign

With the news star hooker Josh Hodgson won’t be back from a knee injury this season, Michael Ennis says the club should go to market and find a hooker to sign for the rest of the season.

“Siliva Havili has been outstanding, and he was terrific for them last night as well,” Ennis said. “I would love to see them give someone like Billy Walters an opportunity. I know he’s at the Wests Tigers (but) he’s not getting a go there.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cab8fbbe30
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Ennis - Sign Billy Walters

Post by Coastalraider »

I could get behind that.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Is he any better than Starling or Havili?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:35 am Is he any better than Starling or Havili?
I don't think so, really.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Afgyehrnfj - no thanks.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Havili yes. Havili is a middle these days with the ability to play at 9.
Starling, not sure, but probably. But he is a bigger body, who can play 80 at 9. Looked good for Tigz pre Grant.

Id only look for the rest of this yr, coz there is no spot next yr here. He is just bidding his time til Grant returns to Storm too.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:57 am
Starling, not sure, but probably. But he is a bigger body, who can play 80 at 9. Looked good for Tigz pre Grant.

Id only look for the rest of this yr, coz there is no spot next yr here. He is just bidding his time til Grant returns to Storm too.
Disagree with Matt here.

He is definitely not better than Havili or Starling. He is a career reserve grade five eighth. He’s not even a hooker. He was utilized there by Maguire until he signed an actual hooker then was put back to the reserves where he belongs.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Strange that Ennis said this instead of talking up Tom Starling. Can’t be good for his confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im with Afgyehrnfj. No thanks, Walters wouldnt move the needle for us at all, so at that point why bother?
If a needle moving hooker becomes an option, id really consider it, but otherwise we probably just gotta roll with Starling and Havilii
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting vote of confidence in Havili and Starling from Ennis.

On a related topic, I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but Hodgo's performance out of dummy half has been wayward during the period that Ennis has not been able to work with the squad at training. It would be good for Stuart to somehow get him involved with Havili and Starling.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:48 am
I don't think so, really.
That's what I thought. If we didn't have Starling there I would be happy for the club to go for it.

I think Starling deserves a crack. I've heard he's been training well and from the players/club social media he looks like a well-liked member of the squad. He'd be pretty disappointed if not given the chance.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Starling a bigger body? How do you make this stuff up seriously? He literally weighs no more than 82KG, I've always thought he was a small build, but weighing in at 82kg probably makes him one of, if not the smallest player in nrl. And when you say "bigger body" you can't seriously be comparing him to havili, like cmon now.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’s talking Walters there I’d say
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Starling is indeed a bigger body..... than Tattoo from Fantasy Island.

Well I think he’s bigger?????
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:28 am

Starling a bigger body? How do you make this stuff up seriously? He literally weighs no more than 82KG, I've always thought he was a small build, but weighing in at 82kg probably makes him one of, if not the smallest player in nrl. And when you say "bigger body" you can't seriously be comparing him to havili, like cmon now.
Walters is the bigger body. Im aware Starling is a light weight. The original Q i was answering was is he (Walters) any better?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:42 am He’s talking Walters there I’d say
cheers :D
See Jules gets it :lol:
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:48 am

Walters is the bigger body. Im aware Starling is a light weight. The original Q i was answering was is he (Walters) any better?
No worries, apologies mate!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GMGT wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:10 am
Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:48 am

No worries, apologies mate!
No dramas
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

if we were to sign him would Siliva Start and Walters be the bench option
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

AUSTEZER wrote: July 13, 2020, 11:30 am if we were to sign him would Siliva Start and Walters be the bench option
Not sure.

The only reason we'd sign this guy and not a middle that I can think of is that if we sign this guy we don't need to pick up a middle- Siliva can be our middle forward and not have to focus on hooking.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

that's what i was thinking a roving lock type of role
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If we signed him, Walters would play 9, and Havili will continue to play middle. People realise Havili has been playing middle (probably prop) this yr right?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 1:53 pm If we signed him, Walters would play 9, and Havili will continue to play middle. People realise Havili has been playing middle (probably prop) this yr right?
I think people realise that- but are factoring in that with Hodgo gone, Siliva would now be our #9 in many peoples planning. Which takes him out of our middle rotation.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:11 pm
Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 1:53 pm If we signed him, Walters would play 9, and Havili will continue to play middle. People realise Havili has been playing middle (probably prop) this yr right?
I think people realise that- but are factoring in that with Hodgo gone, Siliva would now be our #9 in many peoples planning. Which takes him out of our middle rotation.
Sure. But the coach said Starling is our backup hooker immediately after the game. So Liva is game day backup hooker still.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Chasing any reserve grade hooker would be a panic buy right now. Seen nothing from Walters in his limited NRL game time to suggest he's an immedaite upgrade on Havili or Starling.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:26 pm
Sure. But the coach said Starling is our backup hooker immediately after the game. So Liva is game day backup hooker still.
Either way Havili will be removed from the middled forward rotation. I doubt Starling will be playing 80 mins so he'll be in the hooking role either starting or from the bench.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:45 pm
Either way Havili will be removed from the middled forward rotation. I doubt Starling will be playing 80 mins so he'll be in the hooking role either starting or from the bench.
I dont think he will be removed from the middle rotation, but he will be 50/50 middle/9, meaning KOD or someone else will have to play a few extra
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not at all sure that that is what he meant. I thought he meant that Starling is the back up on the bench, for Havili.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:58 pm
I dont think he will be removed from the middle rotation, but he will be 50/50 middle/9, meaning KOD or someone else will have to play a few extra
For that to happen it would be something like 20 min at hooker and 20 min at middle forward. That would require Starling to play 60 mins at hooker. Tough ask given he hasn't played a game for months.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 3:01 pm
I'm not at all sure that that is what he meant. I thought he meant that Starling is the back up on the bench, for Havili.
Given our middles crisis, Ricky would be crazy to not have Havili do a bit of both, and in that instance you start Starling, coz if he gets injured, you dont want Havili gassed already
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 3:21 pm
Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 2:58 pm

For that to happen it would be something like 20 min at hooker and 20 min at middle forward. That would require Starling to play 60 mins at hooker. Tough ask given he hasn't played a game for months.
Could be in 2 stints. If memory serves, he was one of, if not the, fittest bloke at the club in preseason. Now, yes, a lot of water under the bridge between then and now, BUT, like most hookers, they seem to love to keep running.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

IMO the best way to manage it for Stick is start Havili and bring Starling on around 30 min. He then has the option bring Havili back at hooker when needed. If around the 60 min mark Starling is going fine then Havili can have his 2nd stint in the middle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 4:23 pm IMO the best way to manage it for Stick is start Havili and bring Starling on around 30 min. He then has the option bring Havili back at hooker when needed. If around the 60 min mark Starling is going fine then Havili can have his 2nd stint in the middle.
I agree, I think something like that is what the coach will do, but I've been wrong about that before!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think NR has hit it on the head there, i think that's probably the best way forward
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

....and if all that goes to **** we can then look at Billy Walters. ;)