Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls for NRL to take axe to error-prone bunker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls for NRL to take axe to error-prone bunker

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says something has to give - either with the bunker or those in charge.

"We've either got to get rid of the bunker because they're not getting it right or Graham Annesley or Bernard Sutton have to be replaced," he said. "It's either they haven't got the right people in the bunker or those two people can't do their job. Our fans, our coaches and our players are sick of Graham coming out and being the hero and saying, 'He got it wrong'."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls for NRL to take axe to error-prone bunker

Post by gangrenous »

I think this is baby out with the bath water. The bunker should stay, I think it means a hell of a lot more correct decisions than without it.

What I would like to see is fewer ex-players in the box.

I wonder what would happen if they let ol’ gangers in the box? Phil Gould would be ranting “no no no no” on all my obstruction decisions that’s for sure. Dingbat.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls for NRL to take axe to error-prone bunker

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:58 pm I think this is baby out with the bath water. The bunker should stay, I think it means a hell of a lot more correct decisions than without it.

What I would like to see is fewer ex-players in the box.

I wonder what would happen if they let ol’ gangers in the box? Phil Gould would be ranting “no no no no” on all my obstruction decisions that’s for sure. Dingbat.
I think he’s saying some bunker officials need to go or the bosses do.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Not a subscriber but obviously the answer is Sutton.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I would love to give it a go and see just how hard it is to not make howlers...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I haven't seen any great leap forward in accuracy of decisions with the bunker vs on site video ref. The incidents where there is a complete lack of common sense still happen every weekend.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They were actually going ok until a few weeks ago. But this same thing happens every season. Start out ok and then the consistency goes out the window. Why is it so? GEs theory on preconceived bias?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The bunker should stay, but there needs to be a complete cleanout of bunker officials, refs, and the ref boss. The boys' club has gone beyond a joke.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:33 pm They were actually going ok until a few weeks ago. But this same thing happens every season. Start out ok and then the consistency goes out the window. Why is it so? GEs theory on preconceived bias?

I don’t think it’s preconceived. I think it’s unrecognised, unconscious.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Who was in the bunker sat night?
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Ilanraiders wrote:Who was in the bunker sat night?
Mr Magoo
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ben Galea. Total numpty.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Steve Chiddy was the senior bunker official.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:15 pm I would love to give it a go and see just how hard it is to not make howlers...
I do think it’d be a lot harder than the we, the fans, and the commentators think.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 7:50 am
gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:15 pm I would love to give it a go and see just how hard it is to not make howlers...
I do think it’d be a lot harder than the we, the fans, and the commentators think.
I am as far away from being a “refs faulter” as possible, and I would usually agree - but the howler on Saturday night was one of those calls which were not even close to 50/50. In fact, I haven’t heard from a single person (pundit or fan), who thinks that was the correct decision. It beggars belief that two officials thought otherwise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: July 13, 2020, 7:57 am
I am as far away from being a “refs faulter” as possible, and I would usually agree - but the howler on Saturday night was one of those calls which were not even close to 50/50. In fact, I haven’t heard from a single person (pundit or fan), who thinks that was the correct decision. It beggars belief that two officials thought otherwise.
Not disagreeing there either.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It's not perfect, nothing is, but the Bunker is miles better than the old video ref system and gets a lot more decisions both correct and made faster.

Even if it's getting 99.9% of decisions correct people will complain no matter what, regardless of the sport.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mistakes will always get made whenever there is a human element to it.

Getting rid of the bunker is not the answer. Fixing the level of competency of the men and women sitting in the bunker is the answer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If it meant we the fans would have to to the rule book, study it inside and out and then interpret the events based on those and all the other factors, 100% it would be a lot harder than we think

I'd argue, that any one of us could not do any of that and just waltz in to the booth and make decisions tomorrow and we'd have a similar level of success... we'd get less of this Simmonsen sin bin stuff wrong but probably miss some of the more obscure technicalities, and in the wash it would wind up pretty much where we are now.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Addo-Carr and his expert diving technique really sold it well. Pathetic.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
If it meant we the fans would have to to the rule book, study it inside and out and then interpret the events based on those and all the other factors, 100% it would be a lot harder than we think

I'd argue, that any one of us could not do any of that and just waltz in to the booth and make decisions tomorrow and we'd have a similar level of success... we'd get less of this Simmonsen sin bin stuff wrong but probably miss some of the more obscure technicalities, and in the wash it would wind up pretty much where we are now.
C'mon it's really not that difficult. Broncos = No try. Raiders = Try.

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

TongueFTW wrote: July 13, 2020, 7:57 am
I have, but they were also Storm fans who think Cameron Smith is the most perfect angel ever to play and is victim to unfair witch-hunts, and also that the NRL ripped them off by taking away their deserved premierships, so.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm a lot less critical of the on field refs this year as I reckon they're doing a decent job with a tough gig. Bunch of new rule interpretations, faster game and they're having to do it all themselves. Less sympathy for touchies getting it wrong as their role hasn't changed much and if anything they should be stepping up to help out the guy in the middle more. They still have to call it as it happens though.

As for the bunker, they have they softest job of all with the benefit of time, multiple angles, super slow mo etc. Plus there's 2 of them collaborating. Absoultey zero excuse for making such horrible mistakes like Simo's sin bin, the Hetherington 'no try' call and completely missing Latrell's dog shot on Reynolds.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: July 13, 2020, 5:00 pm ILess sympathy for touchies getting it wrong as their role hasn't changed much and if anything they should be stepping up to help out the guy in the middle more.
A lot of the touchies are actually former on-field refs. Perenara was one of the touchies at our Dragons game for example. Quite a few of the touchies were axed and their spots given to refs as part of V'landys' "cost saving measures".

Pun03
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Pun03 »

If you're Graham Annesley then you're damned if you do or damned if you don't...
but I do agree with his assessment of the bunkers incorrect decisions of late "the bunker is over-analysing these incidents from a technical point of view, instead of just looking at incidents from a fan's perspective to decide what most people would consider a fair and reasonable decision."
Let's hope the bunker heeds the boss' words!!!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:C'mon it's really not that difficult. Broncos = No try. Raiders = Try.

I don’t think they’ll let you totally reverse the current system...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The trouble with the Simonsson decision is that there wasn't even any technical reason to consider that there was any breach of the rules!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 6:52 pm The trouble with the Simonsson decision is that there wasn't even any technical reason to consider that there was any breach of the rules!
I guess that's the concern. They're seeing something completely different to everyone else.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think the pressure to make quicker decisions has to be involved. Maybe there is a bit of tunnel vision thrown in - looking at certain characteristics without looking at the whole scenario. It's quite difficult to understand how they could watch that footage and see (not see) that Simmonson didn't even appear to actually know where JAC was.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:C'mon it's really not that difficult. Broncos = No try. Raiders = Try.

I don’t think they’ll let you totally reverse the current system...

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Does anyone know why the referees boss comes out the day after and says right or wrong? It's the most **** ridiculous thing to do that I can even think of.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I would love to see the extra angles the Bunker gets. If this was ESPN in the US their programs would be showing everything they saw in the analysis of the game. For example, I'd have loved to see the footage that apparently showed that the 'Six Again' overule in the GF was correct. They've told us it was right but I've only seen anyone showing the TV coverage, which is inconclusive.