Re: Josh Hodgson and Bailey Simonsson ruled out for 2020 season

Post by Dr Zaius »

We're kind of screwed
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Deeply

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Seeing the Covid news this morning, I suspect 2020 will end up as the season that never was.

Hopefully it doesn't void the Raiders' share of bad luck. It would be a shame to have to carry that over.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Horrible news. 2020 just keeps delivering
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:Horrible news. 2020 just keeps delivering
When we're winning it means everything, when we're losing its just a game. Time to spend more time in the garden.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Timbo wrote:/season.
/Premiership Window.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:CNK
Rapana
Croker
Oldfield
Cotric
Wighton
Williams
Papa
Havilli
Lui
Young
Whitehead
O'Donnell

Starling
Tapine
Sutton
Scott

Frawley
HSS
Medlyn
S Williams
Valemi

Then Kris (TBA)

That's pretty grim

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
What about Sam Williams at 9? Defence might be an issue though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

It’s not the end of the world. If we can crack the top 8 we will get Bateman, Sia, Horsburgh and Guler back in time for the finals. As big a blow as losing Hodgson is, we get adequate back up in Havilii and our backline, less Simonssen, is virtually intact. We can hopefully sign a few decent replacements especially forwards without losing too much in the forward pack. I would also like to see more of Starling at hooker or perhaps even trial Sam Williams there, as Havilii isnt the creative type.

I honestly think we can rebound and we will have most of our starting squad, less Hodgo, back in time for the finals.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

-TW- wrote: July 12, 2020, 5:45 pm CNK
Rapana
Croker
Oldfield
Cotric
Wighton
Williams
Papa
Havilli
Lui
Young
Whitehead
O'Donnell

Starling
Tapine
Sutton
Scott

Frawley
HSS
Medlyn
S Williams
Valemi

Then Kris (TBA)

That's pretty grim

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Pretty grim for our standards, yeah. That team is probably still better than half of the teams in the comp though.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well who ever replaces Hodgson has a simple game plan to follow. Get the forwards rolling and early ball to the halves. Hold the middle in defence! No fancy stuff
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The famous name the Canberra Raiders need to sign

With the news star hooker Josh Hodgson won’t be back from a knee injury this season, Michael Ennis says the club should go to market and find a hooker to sign for the rest of the season.

“Siliva Havili has been outstanding, and he was terrific for them last night as well,” Ennis said. “I would love to see them give someone like Billy Walters an opportunity. I know he’s at the Wests Tigers (but) he’s not getting a go there.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cab8fbbe30

I'm no Hodgson but Havili better prepared to step into big boots

Siliva Havili happily concedes he's "no Josh Hodgson" but the experience he gained when covering for the injured co-captain in 2018 will help the Raiders kick on without their inspirational leader.

"It's going to be big shoes to fill, he's our skipper, a big part of our team and a big-name player," Havili said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/12/im- ... big-boots/
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

LastRaider wrote: July 13, 2020, 7:46 am Well who ever replaces Hodgson has a simple game plan to follow. Get the forwards rolling and early ball to the halves. Hold the middle in defence! No fancy stuff
Yes.

Havilli can do this. Just gotta hold off on the hero go it alone stuff that he sometimes does that introduces errors.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ricky said straight after the game that Tommy Starling was our backup 9. What little we have seen of him, he is a diminutive, very fit, jack rabbit type 9 - a poorest mans Cook, if you will. Given we are still short on middles, I think Havili will have to play a bit of 9 and a bit of middle going forward. If Starling can go 80, then that would be great, but Im expecting 55-60. Will be interesting to see if its 1 stint or 2.

On the weekend, Lui and Papa played 60 mins, Tapine and Havili played 50, and Sutton 45 (Havili, Lui and Tapine all played inflated mins due to injuries, and Rapa got 5mins in the middle before Simmo went down too). KOD only played 20, and we only used 7 interchanges. No, as it turns out the only reason we didnt was because Ricky was saving it for Havili if he got gassed.

So, had Hodgo not gone down, I suspect it would have been Papa 55 (2 stints), Sutton 50 (1 stint over HT break), Lui 40 (2 stints), Tapine 35 (1 stint over HT break), Havili 30 (1 stint over HT break), KOD 30 (2 stints).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 8:00 am The famous name the Canberra Raiders need to sign

With the news star hooker Josh Hodgson won’t be back from a knee injury this season, Michael Ennis says the club should go to market and find a hooker to sign for the rest of the season.

“Siliva Havili has been outstanding, and he was terrific for them last night as well,” Ennis said. “I would love to see them give someone like Billy Walters an opportunity. I know he’s at the Wests Tigers (but) he’s not getting a go there.

Siliva Havili happily concedes he's "no Josh Hodgson" but the experience he gained when covering for the injured co-captain in 2018 will help the Raiders kick on without their inspirational leader.

"It's going to be big shoes to fill, he's our skipper, a big part of our team and a big-name player," Havili said.

Walters is actually a pretty good player. He would be a very handy addition for this yr, but he is biding his time until Grant returns to the Storm next yr. So if its only for the rest of the yr, then fine, BUT, if its longer, what do we do with him next yr?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2020, 8:00 am The famous name the Canberra Raiders need to sign

Walters is actually a pretty good player. He would be a very handy addition for this yr, but he is biding his time until Grant returns to the Storm next yr. So if its only for the rest of the yr, then fine, BUT, if its longer, what do we do with him next yr?
Can he play in the halves as well? Could also be a SWilliams replacement

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:

Didn't they say last week that the loan/transfer deal (Grant/Momirovski) would be extended for next year?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:10 am
Matt wrote:

He can, yes. 5/8
Can he play in the halves as well? Could also be a SWilliams replacement

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:22 am
Matt wrote:

Didn't they say last week that the loan/transfer deal (Grant/Momirovski) would be extended for next year?

Not sure. I havent seen that, but it benefits everyone.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 13, 2020, 10:22 am
Matt wrote:

Not sure. I havent seen that, but it benefits everyone.
they only grabbed Grant because they lost Liddle, so Billy would be still behind him next season

Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:43 am Ricky said straight after the game that Tommy Starling was our backup 9. What little we have seen of him, he is a diminutive, very fit, jack rabbit type 9 - a poorest mans Cook, if you will. Given we are still short on middles, I think Havili will have to play a bit of 9 and a bit of middle going forward. If Starling can go 80, then that would be great, but Im expecting 55-60. Will be interesting to see if its 1 stint or 2.
My vivid memory of the one time I saw him play in person last year (Tigers at Bankwest) was that like five seconds after coming on he crunched one of the biggest dudes on the park with a perfect under-the-ribs hit. Immediate like.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: July 13, 2020, 4:47 pm
Matt wrote: July 13, 2020, 9:43 am Ricky said straight after the game that Tommy Starling was our backup 9. What little we have seen of him, he is a diminutive, very fit, jack rabbit type 9 - a poorest mans Cook, if you will. Given we are still short on middles, I think Havili will have to play a bit of 9 and a bit of middle going forward. If Starling can go 80, then that would be great, but Im expecting 55-60. Will be interesting to see if its 1 stint or 2.
My vivid memory of the one time I saw him play in person last year (Tigers at Bankwest) was that like five seconds after coming on he crunched one of the biggest dudes on the park with a perfect under-the-ribs hit. Immediate like.
Yep. I remember a couple of similar tackles. Baptiste and Toovey were similar little guys with just that good technique to get under and drive up. Not saying he's that good, but he seems to hold his own in defence just fine, both eye and stats suggest he'll be ok there.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Where is the Baptise these days?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 13, 2020, 8:32 pm Where is the Baptise these days?
QCup.

East Tigers.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:33 pm
Timbo wrote:/season.
/Premiership Window.
Closed and nailed shut.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.