Kai O'Donnell debut

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Kai O'Donnell debut

Post by FROG »

Firstly congrats to the young man. Seems to have been on the cusp a few times this year so good to see him get his chance. I must confess and say ive never seen him play. Can anyone tell me what to expect. What formers raiders player would he best be compared to?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Kai O'Donnell debut

Post by Botman »

Never seen him play.
Hope this helps.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Very pleased for him. He is a second rower who is very good in attack. A real blockbusting runner and scored a fair few tries in Jersey Flegg last year, liked running wide. Unfortunately, NSWRL.com.au doesn't allow access to his statistics from last year, but defence probably wasn't his relative strength. Big body, enthusiastic, I hope he does very well on Saturday.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Big strong unit.
If he can give us 15-20 min of hard running, solid defence and no mistake football then it will be a super successful debut me thinks
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Looks like a beast so I have high hopes.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

played some minutes at Port Macquarie trial in the second half didn't he?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 7:53 pm Never seen him play.
Hope this helps.
Who cares. Hope that helped
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

He comes from Queensland, was in the Titans system but came to us a couple of weeks into last year. He is pretty quick, only 181cm but 98kg so pretty stocky.

Here is the link to the thread about his signing last year including a video of his highlights as a schoolboy. He was wearing a helmet in those clips but I can’t remember him doing that last year.

https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33331

I think if you were being honest, he could have done with this year at Mounties before making his debut, but injuries and players leaving means he gets his chance now and I am sure will acquit himself well.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Congratulations to him!

I'd be surprised if he gets more than 5 minutes on the field against the Storm.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Congrats young man..

You're living the dream.

Can you fold CSmith in half for me ?

Thanks in advance.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:Never seen him play.
Hope this helps.
It does!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

A positive in all injury situations is the debut for a young bloke. Hoping he can do his job and a bit more!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dusty wrote:A positive in all injury situations is the debut for a young bloke. Hoping he can do his job and a bit more!
a Papaliiesque storm debut and no less!

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 8, 2020, 12:12 am Congratulations to him!

I'd expect that normally but with the injuries he's going to have to get some minutes into him at some point. Although if we sign someone else he'll drop straight out.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Tough gig for your first game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: July 8, 2020, 10:00 am

I'd expect that normally but with the injuries he's going to have to get some minutes into him at some point. Although if we sign someone else he'll drop straight out.
Depends on how the game plays out. Historically guys like Havili have struggled to get minutes, so I base it on that.

If we have injury troubles, are getting pumped, or somehow snag a big lead I suspect his minutes will come. I don't really see time for him if the game is tight. Stuart has ignored benchies in the past.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think he'll have to get more than that given how down we are on forwards... there is quite a few minutes missing from the rotation.
I think he'll get a solid 15-20 minutes but i guess game script could dictate that too

Good luck to the kid, the way the sport has gone with scheduling and the demise of the U20's and then our affiliation with Mounties (combined with parenting responsibilities) have made it hard for me to keep up with the young kids coming through, so as fan now i always get excited when we have a new guy debuting.

The club has done a great job of developing talent of late (Simo, Guler, Hors and Young all look to have long NRL careers in their future) so im expecting more of the same from this guy.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Neeeegz wrote: July 7, 2020, 9:19 pm
Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 7:53 pm Never seen him play.
Hope this helps.
Who cares. Hope that helped
:lol:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: July 8, 2020, 1:13 pm

I think he'll have to get more than that given how down we are on forwards... there is quite a few minutes missing from the rotation.
I think he'll get a solid 15-20 minutes but i guess game script could dictate that too

Good luck to the kid, the way the sport has gone with scheduling and the demise of the U20's and then our affiliation with Mounties (combined with parenting responsibilities) have made it hard for me to keep up with the young kids coming through, so as fan now i always get excited when we have a new guy debuting.

The club has done a great job of developing talent of late (Simo, Guler, Hors and Young all look to have long NRL careers in their future) so im expecting more of the same from this guy.
Yep, it will be interesting. I could be completely wrong.

If I was Stuart, I'd be starting Rapa on the wing for extra kick return punch (Oldfield to the bench, Cotric to 4) and starting Havili at lock to leave Tapine and Sutton on the bench for extra size.

Highly unlikely I'm sure, but I just wouldn't be setting myself up to play O'Donnell for big minutes against this pack.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Old School Green wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:07 pm Big strong unit.
If he can give us 15-20 min of hard running, solid defence and no mistake football then it will be a super successful debut me thinks
under ricky, rookies get more like 10.

I expect the min breakdown to be:
Papa 55-60 (Papa is one of the guys Ricky challenged in ODonnells debut speech - however, at prop, he has passed 60mins)
Tapine 50-55 (for those wondering Horse was avging 53.5mins at lock - Tapine is another who was challenged)
Sutton 50-55 (I think as an import Sutton makes Rickys list)
Lui 35-40 (this yr he has been a 30-35min guy, but played 40 against the Storm)
Havili 35-40 (started the yr as a 20min guy, but in the last 3-4wks its increased to 30-35, but had to play 40 last wk with the injuries)
ODonnell 10-15
Both edges will play 80, as they normally do (Whitey would be on that list too, though not really sure what else he can do?).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Interested to get a look at how he plays. Excited for him. We've had a good run with bringing through young forwards lately really.

Not sure what to expect- some are saying he's a big body in the pack but his profile lists him as a pretty small guy for a forward (one of the shortest in our pack and lighter as he's younger and smaller).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'More than deserving': Canberra Raiders back Kai O'Donnell to help injury crisis

Canberra Raiders teammates have backed debutant Kai O'Donnell to be the injection of energy they need to help them cope with multiple injury blows.

"Kai is one of those kids who is more than deserving, he's done a lot of work behind the scenes. Some boys do see it, we know as players he's not short of any skill there. He's a very hard worker and that's something we need, we need energy off that bench," Michael Oldfield said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:Interested to get a look at how he plays. Excited for him. We've had a good run with bringing through young forwards lately really.

Not sure what to expect- some are saying he's a big body in the pack but his profile lists him as a pretty small guy for a forward (one of the shortest in our pack and lighter as he's younger and smaller).

His juniors highlights package on YouTube show him mainly an edge player with decent pace. Obviously a cut above in age comps. Size wise similar to Cotric, inch shorter same weight according to his profile

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There'll come a day where every player is the same height and size, but all play different positions
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: July 9, 2020, 10:54 am There'll come a day where every player is the same height and size, but all play different positions
Fiji will field 13, 6'3" 108kg wingers and it will be glorious.

I actually think the new faster ruck will/has dented the trend towards a homogenous "athlete" shape. There's multiple pathways to success again and different stages of the game/fatigue to shine.

Huge forwards like Solomona, RCG and Klemmer are having good seasons but likewise lighter frame locks had come into their own.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Those schoolboy highlights are impressive. When used by Ricky, I wonder whether it will be on an edge (either giving Youngy or Whitehead a break / pushing them into the middle) or in the middle.??
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

thanks mods for fixing my post

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: July 9, 2020, 10:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Interested to get a look at how he plays. Excited for him. We've had a good run with bringing through young forwards lately really.

His juniors highlights package on YouTube show him mainly an edge player with decent pace. Obviously a cut above in age comps. Size wise similar to Cotric, inch shorter same weight according to his profile

Ah right, thanks. Now I think I get it- there's a touch of Anthony Watmough about the build and play style. If he's half that good we're all set.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I presume he’ll be used as a lock for 15-20 mins as it’s a tough ask for Hudson Young to play 80 and alternate between the edge and middle.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Well done to Kai. Every club needs a team first player. Hope he rips in and shows the Cowboys and Titans what they could have had if they believed in his ability.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

ALX22 wrote: July 9, 2020, 4:18 pm Well done to Kai. Every club needs a team first player. Hope he rips in and shows the Cowboys and Titans what they could have had if they believed in his ability.
Well said.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

julian87 wrote: July 9, 2020, 2:57 pm I presume he’ll be used as a lock for 15-20 mins as it’s a tough ask for Hudson Young to play 80 and alternate between the edge and middle.
Hudson played 80 last week, though I don't know if that was always the plan or if it just got that way due to the problems.

I hope Kai has a good debut! It's an under fire one for sure. Maybe he'll surprise us and come out with several barging runs, run over Cameron Smith, and score on debut? That would be fun! :D
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I love his leg speed

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congratulations on your debut tonight Kai. Sticky likes chunky nuggets with speed. I reckon when he comes on we'll see EW go to lock. Good luck young fella every Raider fan is looking forward to watching you play.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The lad did well for having to start against the storm. Didn't let us down.