Storm 13+
31%

Total votes: 13

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2020 Rd 9 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't think I can remember a game where so many things didn't go our way. An error that led directly to an opposition try, a genuine refereeing/bunker howler that completely changed the context of the game, our focal point and possibly best player out for the year, a bombed try that was almost impossible to bomb and a freakish kick return try against us.

Wow.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

While the season is well and truly over for us in terms of title aspirations, it doesn’t have to be a write off.

I’d like to see our halves develop as chief play makers and players like O’Donnell, Starling and Scott get a chance to clock minutes as first graders.

For Ricky, I’d like to see him deviate from our highly conservative attack (which tends to be driven by Hodgson holding onto the ball longer than required) and shifting to an attack that looked a lot like our second half last night.

I’d also like to see Ricky prioritise our young forwards (who are our future) and not give into sentiment by allowing Bateman to walk back into the team. To be frank, we should let him go now and see if we can recruit a decent long term replacement.

Hopefully we start 2021 with an even deeper squad and an even better chance of winning the title by essentially extending our title window.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ricky Stuart / Josh Hodgson led teams have scored more points than any other side since Hodgo arrived.

Our attack is not conservative. This meme needs to die.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

We can either roll over from here, use the injury toll as an excuse, loss of Hodgo etc as central to a bad luck, poor raiders narrative.
Or we can show the grit, toughness and determination that we earned last year, turn up with belief every week and have a real crack.
I’m hoping stick really digs in behind the second option and gets that fire in the belly of all these blokes.
We are still definitely a top 8 side and with a tough attitude, belief and full commitment to what we do, who knows what happens in a few months time. Fight lads and fight hard. Time for Jack to show he really is a Churchill winner; George an international half; Havili an international hooker and all of our team to show that they are the real deal and not excuse seeking close-is-good-enoughs.
Time to lift, grow and believe.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

If you say so.
On the other hand, we’ve won exactly zero titles with this approach.
The plan A, B and C crash ball isn’t enough.
Meanwhile the team who won the competition the last 2 years are somehow finding ways to improve, stay hungry and look the goods to win it again this season.
So forgive me if I don’t believe the rhetoric about our attack being great..
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

GreenMachine wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:53 am If you say so.
Meanwhile the team who won the competition the last 2 years are somehow finding ways to improve, stay hungry and look the goods to win it again this season.
We were a bees from winning the comp last year basing our whole game on defence. We tried the dynamic attacking team that couldn't defend thing for 4 years and made the 8 once...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hazza wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:09 am
We were a bees from winning the comp last year basing our whole game on defence. We tried the dynamic attacking team that couldn't defend thing for 4 years and made the 8 once...
I know, I was there at the game.
But the flaw in that point is believing what we did in the past is going to be good enough NOW.
It clearly isn’t.
The Roosters and Melbourne don’t rest on their historical accomplishments, yet we’re all good with that approach?
And nowhere does it say, good attacking teams cannot be good defensive teams. In fact, 99% of the time, that is who wins the competition.
We have not improved on last season and last season we were short. That’s reality.
All I’m saying is we need variety in attack that includes our halves being able to control the attack from time to time instead of relying on the dummy releasing shorter slow balls because he’s overplaying his part.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

We were the better side. Storm created little and didn't deserve to win. Have to be happy with the effort, gave it everything with nothing going our way.

Hodgo hasn't been in good form but we ain't winning the comp without him. She's all over. Still think we'll make the 8 though and make ourselves hard to beat for the top teams...injuries suck but it's part of the game and we've had a reasonable run of late.

People going on about how the roosters keep on keeping on with their injuries...please! They have the 2 best players in the world at 1 and 6 and seemingly operate under a different salary cap to everyone else.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

GreenMachine wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:17 am
Hazza wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:09 am
I know, I was there at the game.
But the flaw in that point is believing what we did in the past is going to be good enough NOW.
It clearly isn’t.
The Roosters and Melbourne don’t rest on their historical accomplishments, yet we’re all good with that approach?
And nowhere does it say, good attacking teams cannot be good defensive teams. In fact, 99% of the time, that is who wins the competition.
We have not improved on last season and last season we were short. That’s reality.
All I’m saying is we need variety in attack that includes our halves being able to control the attack from time to time instead of relying on the dummy releasing shorter slow balls because he’s overplaying his part.
Yeah fair point. Don't disagree with that.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

GreenMachine wrote: July 12, 2020, 10:17 am And nowhere does it say, good attacking teams cannot be good defensive teams. In fact, 99% of the time, that is who wins the competition.
This ^^^

We clearly lack strike at the moment. There are two reasons for this.

(1) Ricky learnt the wrong lesson out of our 2016 "almost good enough" season and the subsequent 2017/2018 disappointments. He thought the problem was that we were too attacking with the ball (which lead us to drop too many balls and having to defend too much), and that the solution was too hold the ball at all costs (everything dummy-half or one-out crash ball). This was doubly wrong.
The problem with our 2016 style side was that we couldn't/didn't defend our errors, and the solution was what he actually achieved in 2019 (personnel and position changes that put some steel into our defence...Jack into the defensive line, Bateman onto the edge, CNK scrambling at the back). There was no need to neuter our attack in order to bolster our defense...it's a conflation of two separate issues. Just look at the Chooks and Parra...they work hard in defense to back up their errors in attack...but they keep pushing and pushing with the ball.

(2) We lack speed and line-breakers across the park. Just look at what happened last night. We actually out-played the Storm but lost anyway when Papenhuyzen blew us away with sheer speed against the run of play. Jack (who is close to our fastest regular player over 100m) didn't even get close to catching him, despite starting with a head start. Cotric makes plenty of half-breaks (and is a terrific finisher) but lacks the sheer pace to score long distance tries. Oldy has straight-line speed, but doesn't have the footwork or strength to put himself in a position to use it. Similar story for Simonson...has some pace, but raraley gets himself into the clear. Everyone else in the backs is mediocre pace by NRL standards for outside backs.
We simply don't have a way to make things happen against the run of play...other than hoping that Papa can save us with a crash-over like he did a couple of times last year.
It's hard to see what the solution for this is, especially in the short term. Without BJ and Bateman, we are structurally a plodding attack (our only saving grace being Williams' short-kicking game). Croker is becoming an increasing problem as he ages...he no longer slices in between defenders like he did when younger, CNK is hopelessly lost on all sweep plays (every shift ends in his hands as he squeezes his outside men into the sideline and has to turn back infield), Rapana has lost all pace and tackle-breaking ability.

We need to look ahead and read the tea leaves. The new post-Covid rules game is not just about suffocating defense. It's simply not feasible with the 6 again rules (just look what happened last night with a ref that gifts the opposition possession). We will never be able to do another 2019. New rules footy is about being good on both sides of the ball...attacking hard, putting on points across the whole 80 minutes, and defending errors when they happen.
A crisis is an opportunity, so says the Chinese proverb. Let's use this one.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The 2016 style relied on massive forwards who's poor mobility in the middle cost us for another two seasons once it was figured out. It's doubtful we could attack that way and defend like last year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Did Jack have a head start? He was much wider on the field wasn’t he?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

radicalraider wrote: July 12, 2020, 8:33 am Our season was over when we traded bj for Scott
Oh yeah, that same BJ who's currently serving a four week suspension?

Sod off, troll.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2020, 11:15 am Did Jack have a head start? He was much wider on the field wasn’t he?
Jack had a lot of extra ground to cover and no way was he catching one of the quickest players in the game. Once clear Papenhuysen scores that try 10 times out of 10 against any team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Anyone that thinks our attack isn't a problem than they've been watching a different team all year. The Cowboys have scored more pts than us! Yesterday with 15 to go down by 16 we were tucking it under till last through lui and paps. At the start of the game it took us around 6 sets to score only thanks to papali crashing over.
So MAYBE this injury to hodgo is going to deflate our premiership chances however it could be a catalyst for a better attack through the halves!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2020, 11:00 am The 2016 style relied on massive forwards who's poor mobility in the middle cost us for another two seasons once it was figured out. It's doubtful we could attack that way and defend like last year.
Yeah I agree and credit to Ricky for identifying the problem and running with the more mobile pack we have today.

He needs to figure out the other side of that equation now so that we continue to improve in the attack department.
amiafish
Peter Jackson

Post by amiafish »

We don't need to be going back to 2016 style. But we need to go back to 2016 intent.

4 hit-ups and dummy-half runs, 1 predictable sweep play (invariably ending with CNK getting caught with the ball), and then a kick/run into the corner is not going to win football games this year.

I think we need a lot more offloads/second phase play, people trailing the ruck in support (e.g. CNK), Cotric in the centres (or FB with CNK going to wing), and a lot more early shifts out of defense + better shapes on our set plays.

At the moment, we are absolutely pedestrian with the ball.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Peter wrote: July 12, 2020, 8:31 am Very sad for Josh. Horrible.

But now this is a real opportunity for Jack and George to own the team. Jack still looks nervous and unsure sometimes. The confidence he will gain for the rest of the season will be really beneficial going forward.

And George....we’ve seen glimpses in his running game and kicking. He has it. Time to step up Georgey.

I hope Josh has a speedy recovery.
I'm sorry what? Am I watching a different George William's to you?? He has been great and has been in our top players basically every match. His short kicking game has payed huge dividends and I'm pretty sure he has the most try assists in the whole league. He looks like he is going to spark something everytime he gets the ball. I know he can still get so much better, but really? "Time to step up Georgey" Really...?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:46 am Ricky Stuart / Josh Hodgson led teams have scored more points than any other side since Hodgo arrived.

We're not talking about previous years - we're talking about this year, and we are very much a conservative, boring side.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Ricky Stuart / Josh Hodgson led teams have scored more points than any other side since Hodgo arrived.

Our attack is conservative until we find ourselves 2 tries behind and start chasing the game. We need to find a way to get Wighton's running game going as he is more closely marked now. I'd really like to see Williams playing both sides of the field and Wighton doing some hole running off him. You get him in a one on one situation he is difficult to stop, particularly against a few of the smaller 5/8s.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

amiafish wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:02 pm We don't need to be going back to 2016 style. But we need to go back to 2016 intent.

4 hit-ups and dummy-half runs, 1 predictable sweep play (invariably ending with CNK getting caught with the ball), and then a kick/run into the corner is not going to win football games this year.

I think we need a lot more offloads/second phase play, people trailing the ruck in support (e.g. CNK), Cotric in the centres (or FB with CNK going to wing), and a lot more early shifts out of defense + better shapes on our set plays.

At the moment, we are absolutely pedestrian with the ball.
Wholeheartedly agree. Deep down, I feel like Sticky and his staff have **** this one up big time. We haven't learnt from the mistakes of 2017 - you need to evolve constantly and keep adding strings to the bow.

Doesn't seem like we've done that, which is an absolute shame so far, since Wighton is really coming into his own as a half and George is multiple notches above both Sezer and Sam.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

afgtnk wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:05 pm
edwahu wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:46 am Ricky Stuart / Josh Hodgson led teams have scored more points than any other side since Hodgo arrived.

We're not talking about previous years - we're talking about this year, and we are very much a conservative, boring side.
Then why have I read the same argument for 3 years?
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

So I'm finally watching the replay.

God, everything went wrong with twelve and a half minutes to go to halftime. Hodgson's knee collapses and the bunker EDIT. When even that one-eyed flog Brandy howls that it's a terrible wrong call, you know it is wrong!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
amiafish
Peter Jackson

Post by amiafish »

Yeah, it's a tragic irony that we've picked up a top shelf attacking halfback (who defends strongly to boot) at the same time as our strategic game plan is the equivalent of a turtle going into its shell. Frankly, we shouldn't be berating George, it's George who isn't getting what he deserves from the rest of the team and the coaching. Imagine what he would do leading the Chooks around the park.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

amiafish wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:42 pm Yeah, it's a tragic irony that we've picked up a top shelf attacking halfback (who defends strongly to boot) at the same time as our strategic game plan is the equivalent of a turtle going into its shell. Frankly, we shouldn't be berating George, it's George who isn't getting what he deserves from the rest of the team and the coaching. Imagine what he would do leading the Chooks around the park.
Yep agree.
George has been great for what he is doing/allowed to do.
Time to unshackle George and Jack and let them run the show.
Hopefully when Hodgson returns next season all 3 will have more trust in each other instead of deferring to Josh at dummy half all of the time.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Oh, that shot clock on the dropout is awful. That should be a penalty to us and sin bin as a professional foul.

Good call from the Fox commentators that it's a professional foul.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:38 pm

I haven’t been making that argument for 3 years.
In fact, I’ve been very impressed with how Ricky improved our defensive approach over that time span.
But the game evolves, the competition evolves.
Ricky now needs to show the same maturity and evolve our attacking approach without diminishing his work in defence.
The great teams do this and that’s what we should be aspiring to become.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:38 pm

I can't imagine you have?

We were anything but boring or conservative between 2015 and 2018.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We had a clear possession advantage with 54% of the football so we should have been able to make more of that. With Hodgo missing we are now without 5 of last years Grand Final pack for the short turnaround grand final replay.

Having watched the highlights I am concerned that there is something taking away CNKs concentration. His facial expression looks to be that of a troubled soul and he played accordingly. The poor handling, the failure to ground the ball before the Brenko Lee try, the missed tackle on Papenhuysen in his try point to distractions imo. Some may call it second year syndrome but it may be something else and Sticky may have a quiet word with him. I am one of his biggest fans and hope his confidence/concentration returns soon.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

On NRL.com - ‘Graham Annesley believes Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson was wrongly sin-binned’.

I feel so much better now Graham, as does the Canberra club. Thank you.

****!!!
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: July 12, 2020, 1:27 pm On NRL.com - ‘Graham Annesley believes Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson was wrongly sin-binned’.

I feel so much better now Graham, as does the Canberra club. Thank you.

****!!!
Like, no ****ing duh.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

RedRaider wrote:We had a clear possession advantage with 54% of the football so we should have been able to make more of that. With Hodgo missing we are now without 5 of last years Grand Final pack for the short turnaround grand final replay.

Having watched the highlights I am concerned that there is something taking away CNKs concentration. His facial expression looks to be that of a troubled soul and he played accordingly. The poor handling, the failure to ground the ball before the Brenko Lee try, the missed tackle on Papenhuysen in his try point to distractions imo. Some may call it second year syndrome but it may be something else and Sticky may have a quiet word with him. I am one of his biggest fans and hope his confidence/concentration returns soon.
CNK looked like he was going to cry after he scored that try last night. Something is not right.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Maybe we can get alphabet to stop his Sezer hate mail redirection to CNK’s place?
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

GMGT wrote: July 12, 2020, 12:02 pm
Peter wrote: July 12, 2020, 8:31 am Very sad for Josh. Horrible.

But now this is a real opportunity for Jack and George to own the team. Jack still looks nervous and unsure sometimes. The confidence he will gain for the rest of the season will be really beneficial going forward.

And George....we’ve seen glimpses in his running game and kicking. He has it. Time to step up Georgey.

I hope Josh has a speedy recovery.
I'm sorry what? Am I watching a different George William's to you?? He has been great and has been in our top players basically every match. His short kicking game has payed huge dividends and I'm pretty sure he has the most try assists in the whole league. He looks like he is going to spark something everytime he gets the ball. I know he can still get so much better, but really? "Time to step up Georgey" Really...?
You really over-analysed my post there mate. Please quote where I said George has been bad? I was alluding to the fact that he now needs to own the side and dictate play in Josh’s absence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL admits Bailey Simonsson sin bin was the wrong call: Annesley concedes Canberra Raiders hard done by

NRL head of football Graham Annesley believes Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson was wrongly sin-binned in Saturday night's loss to the Storm, conceding the Bunker was guilty of "over-analysing".

"In my opinion we got this one wrong," Annesley said. "Both players were scrambling for the ball and in that situation there was always going to be some sort of contact, but I don't believe there was any intent to take Josh Addo-Carr out.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/12/sin ... d-done-by/

NRL admits Raiders were robbed by bunker: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1160822

Ricky Stuart blows up before NRL admit Raiders were robbed: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1160831

NRL admits Canberra Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson sin bin was wrong: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

GALLERY: Raiders V Storm: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... st#license

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... s-v-storm/