Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Re: Declining depth

Post by Dusty »

Vaughan won't be back in my opinion.

If we are looking for someone for this year we need someone who isn't currently playing and sees an opportunity this year and beyond in coming to Canberra.

Jack Hetherington would've been perfect.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Manu M'au would be a great pickup.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 5, 2020, 10:12 pm
Botman wrote: July 5, 2020, 10:03 pm I have a few issues with the set restart

1. they seem to call them frequently on early tackles, espescially tackle 1, at which point i say **** the 6 again, give me the kick for territory and 6 tackles from that spot. A penalty is actually not that big a deal for the defence there, its one tackle, probably 8-10 yards not 30+

2. Inside the attacking zone, it's not ideal. Manly got a 6 to go today adjacent to the posts, down 2 with 4 minutes to go. There is no chance they arent kicking for goal, squaring the game up and taking their chances there. If a team infringes there, the team should absolutely have the option to take the penalty if they wish

the trouble with both these situations is, how do you do it in real time?
I would do this...

within your own half as an attacking team (ie you have possession) there is no 6 again, it's a penalty, field position reigns supreme. Even if you're just shy of halfway, a 6 again call is not as beneficial as a penalty and starting a new set 20-30 metres out

If you're in the attacking half, you give them 2 tackles, and if an error is made, accidental or not, you award the penalty from the spot.. so a team can actively promote the footy without fear. Its an advantage play limted to 2 plays. After that you live or die
But this allows for a team who wants the pen to chuck the ball on the ground and take the penalty and tie the game up if that's what suits them, or play it out. And also allows for the situation i've seen a few times where you get the tackle reset and a tackle later an error has occured and what you've gained nothing from the infringement, which would be fine if you had the choice but you dont... i dont know that there is an easy answer here, but choice has to be part of it

The best teams have already figured out that you can just spoil in the red zone and just back your defense and it's fine.
There's a lot of sense there. The NRL has hired some statistics guru, and despite what's happened in 2020, he's still working. Maybe he's paid for by someone else. But no stats on this.

I'd love to be able to break the stats down on when the re-starts are given as well. There isn't much benefit in a seven tackle set, when the first tackle is on a break down.

The thing is... this shouldn't be being trialled in a "live" NRL season! It should never have happened. It should always have been trialled in NSW and Queensland Cup.
We outlined this on GH Live straight after Covid. You give it away on early tackles 1-2, get selective on 3, then hold on for 4-5. Its being played exactly the same way as penalties. Push you luck on early tackles, then get out of the way on late ones.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: July 6, 2020, 9:52 am
theRads wrote: July 6, 2020, 9:48 am
Dusty wrote: July 6, 2020, 9:19 am I was just looking at a few off contract (end of 2020) players that aren't getting much time at their current club. Maybe they could be an option for the club to sign immediately for the rest of the season with an incentive to earn a contract in 2021 and beyond.

For 2020
Chris McQueen (Tigers)
Jed Cartwright (Panthers)
Josh King (Knights)

As for targets in 2021 to spend some of J.Bateman's money:
David Fifta (Broncos, unrealistic but lets bump his price up)
Jacob Saifiti (Knights)
Josh Kerr (Dragons)
Jacob Host (Dragons)
Herman Ese'ese (Knights)
Isaiah Papali'i (Warriors)
I’d take Chris McQueen for the experience
As a former QLD Origin player, at 32 he might be worth a shot. Offer him the chance for 2020 and maybe an incentive for 2021. I'm sure he'd be great insurance to cover the backrow. If needed he could punch out a few minutes in the middle.
McQueen has barely seen the field in 2 yrs. He is injury prone, slow and dumb as a player. AWFUL call.
Jed is the worst of the family, pass.
King is a depth guy, who proves depth now, and no cap pressure later. Its a meh call, but right now, beggers cant be particularly choosey.

As for the others:
Difi isnt going anywhere.
JSaf wont leave his brother. Look at the Sims, play better together than apart.
Kerr, yup, grab that young prime beef. He has finally filled out and figured out this NRL game.
Host is garbage.
2xEse just signed with Tits (though may not have at time of your post)
Ipapa on the fringe of a depleted Warriors unit though.
Here are the guys off contract in the next couple of yrs Id looks at:

Lock/Prop:
King - Storm (I was a massive fan when he was a Titan, still am)
Burr - Warriors (Big min workaholic middle)
M Eisenhuth - Tigz (Big min workaholic middle)
Evans, Gower, Terepo - Eels (Impact, depth, Impact)
Molo - Cows (Young tryo, cant see them letting him go though)
Elliot - Dogs (already links, but adding a few extra skills to his workrate)
Waddell - Manly (Big min middle, can play edge too)
Kerr - Dragz (as per above)

Flegler - Bronx (the 'little brother' in a stacked pack, more opportunity might be enough)
Glasby - Knights (im a bit meh on this, but experienced 'origin' middle)
Liu - Chooks (they wont let him go, but underrated)
Leniu, Liam Martin - Panthers (Impact young prop, hard running lock/ edge player)
NBrown, Alvaro - Eels (angry SOB, but huge min middle, out of favor big min middle)
Paeska - Manly (Beast)
Taunoa-Brown - Warriors (Young Beast)
Whitbread - Tits (Hard working middle - depthish)
Aloiai - Tigz (big min middle)
Magulious - Sharks (skillful middle)
Tatola - Bunnies (big boppa)

Edge backrow
Taka - Eels (unpopular pick probably, but decent defender and ball playing edge player)
Aubo - Chooks (wont leave, but versatility is amazing, and would have been a long term edge player at any other club)
CHN* - Dogs - *he might be avaliable now
Jones - Knights (depth middle/ edge)
Dunn - Cows (depth edge could develop into more)
McIntyre, Seyfarth - Tigz (tweeners - centre/ backrowers. Think Joel Thompson or Micheal Chee-Kam)
B Sironen - Bunnies (just starting to show promise)

Britt - Dogs (from Storm system, needs structured play though, which isnt really our go)
Capewell - Panthers (possibley another unpopular pick. Looked great til he blew his knee)
Crichton, Tupounuia - Chooks (Stud, Impact)
Farmer - Tits (young fringe guy)
Su'a - Bunnies (solid)

# not sure of contract status, but was train and trial with Bronx this yr - Lachlan Timm - Redcliffe Dolphins. Best prop in NSW Cup the previous 2 yrs. Might be LUKE PAGE 2.0 though.

Hooker:
Billy Brittain, Joe Lovodua - Dragz (was very good as Cooks understudy, so no idea why he went to Dragons and depth, but a bit meh)
Reuben Cotter - Cows (are getting rid of Granville for this guy, so wont happen, also plays backrow)
Cameron King - Sharks? (bit injury prone, but a tackle bot type guy)
Danny Levi - Manly (yuk)
Issac Luke - Bronx (yuk)
Andrew McCullough - Knights (wont get him til next yr, wont need him)
Nathan Peats - Tits (yuk)
Nathaniel Roache - Warriors (extremely injury prone, pass)

Ben Hampton, Jake Granville - Cows (utility value, YUK!)
Jeremy Marshall-King, Sione Katoa - Dogs (6 months maybe, Yuk, a worse version of Havili)
Billy Walters, Josh Reynolds, Jacob Liddle - Tigz (6 months sure, HARD PASS!, injury prone)
Erin Clark, Mitch Rein - Tits (Clark was here last yr, Rein would be great for 6 months)
Mitchell Kenny - Panthers (meh IMO)
Joshua Cook - Bunnies (havent seen him play)
Kyle Paterson - Sharks (wouldnt that be hilarious.... Raiders Jr)
Karl Lawton, Jazz Tevaga - Warriors (both have been told they will not play hooker again, that is versatility only)
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I see there is a plan being considered to shift the entire league to Queensland if this NSW hotspot flares up the way it has in Victoria.

Given Papalli and Tapine refused the flu shot I doubt they'll let them go. That'll do more wonders for our depth.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I’m inclined to think we won’t see the season completed, which would be in line with what 2020 has offered thus far.