Jack’s ball handling

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jack’s ball handling

Post by LastRaider »

Is it just me or is Jack’s ball handling getting worse. He was rocks and diamonds last year mainly with his kicking but now every time someone passes him the ball I cringe in readiness for a drop like Lui.

I know we can’t win the comp without him but at such a pivotal position something needs to be done. He is 5th in the league for most drop balls and is almost averaging 2 per game.
Last edited by LastRaider on July 3, 2020, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Re: Jack’s ball handling

Post by edwahu »

I think he only dropped one didn't he?

Overall he was outstanding. He will drop a lot of footy because he handles it a lot.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Eh. It's about the same. It's Jack. He needs to improve of course but his hands have always been dodgy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hi Lucy

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Lol
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Least of our issues to be honest.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im more concerned about his running game struggling to get on track tbh... but he does look like he's inches away from having one of those games where he splits them 3-4 times
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:Im more concerned about his running game struggling to get on track tbh... but he does look like he's inches away from having one of those games where he splits them 3-4 times
If he can hang on to the ball he will have one of those games but his not
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Mistake rates track to amount of times handled the ball really...

Jack has a high octane style and produces the odd error. So did maloney and Latrell, but you cope due to the x factor. jack is probably solid as a rock compared to those two.

Jack is going ok. He redlines it a bit but he has 6 gears. That's where we have put our eggs and after last year + early rounds this year + how Jack came back from Origin last year I am 100% ok with our egg and basket distribution.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Eh, Jack will have his Jack moments. He's always good for one stuff-up per game. We know this, but it's fairly predictable and he makes up for it. He did look very good tonight, poked his nose through the line a few times.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Still gets paid though right ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

I think he is one of the players who has simply been trying to hard. I am more concerned about some of the cut out passes that he has thrown that have missed the winger by miles. Needs to relax and run.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jack’s ball handling

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:Mistake rates track to amount of times handled the ball really...

Jack has a high octane style and produces the odd error. So did maloney and Latrell, but you cope due to the x factor. jack is probably solid as a rock compared to those two.

Jack is going ok. He redlines it a bit but he has 6 gears. That's where we have put our eggs and after last year + early rounds this year + how Jack came back from Origin last year I am 100% ok with our egg and basket distribution.
This mistake rates track to the amount of times he touches the ball is Bull and just an excuse. Out of all the 9’s, 7’s and 6’s he is by far the worst. He needs to fix it if we are going to win a premiership. We can’t afford to be handing the ball over at crucial times.

We hammer Scott for missing tackles, Hodgson for over playing his hand - I see this as just a bigger problem
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

My concern is less about the ball handling and more about our inability to put bad opposition to bed.

We are still incredibly inpatient as a team, and Jack is a part of that issue. We push passes when we don't need to and attempt strips late in the tackle count when it's not on. Wighton, Williams and Hodgson need to keep their composure in these situations and guide the team rather than attempt the hero play when we need to close out a game.

At the moment, Wighton is the guy that should have the ball in his hands when we're 6 points down with 5 to go, but not so much when we're 6 points up with 5 to go. He needs to get that balance right.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote:My concern is less about the ball handling and more about our inability to put bad opposition to bed.

We are still incredibly inpatient as a team, and Jack is a part of that issue. We push passes when we don't need to and attempt strips late in the tackle count when it's not on. Wighton, Williams and Hodgson need to keep their composure in these situations and guide the team rather than attempt the hero play when we need to close out a game.

At the moment, Wighton is the guy that should have the ball in his hands when we're 6 points down with 5 to go, but not so much when we're 6 points up with 5 to go. He needs to get that balance right.
I agree
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

-PJ- wrote:Still gets paid though right ?
2 things in life are certain. The sun will rise in the morning, and jack will still get paid.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2020, 8:05 am My concern is less about the ball handling and more about our inability to put bad opposition to bed.

This Seiff..

Something isn't right, it's way off. Our D is there or there abouts. The attack is lacking smooth. Pushing passes is a massive problem. Need to chill a bit.

At halftime last night who else thought we were going to see the boys run in another 30pts ?
I did..
Its very concerning to me.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2020, 8:00 am
BadnMean wrote:Mistake rates track to amount of times handled the ball really...

This mistake rates track to the amount of times he touches the ball is Bull and just an excuse. Out of all the 9’s, 7’s and 6’s he is by far the worst. He needs to fix it if we are going to win a premiership. We can’t afford to be handing the ball over at crucial times.

We hammer Scott for missing tackles, Hodgson for over playing his hand - I see this as just a bigger problem
He's got the same # errors as Keary, who is the 5/8 in the team which won the comp the last 2 years running...

Jack is just shaded by Kleary in most attacking categories (he wins some though)... Ball running stats and tackle breaks, Jack clear winner.

Kicking about even overall...

Defence Jack shades Keary...

And Keary- errors considered- is having a blinder of a season by any measure. So no, I just don't buy this premise.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jack’s ball handling

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:

He's got the same # errors as Keary, who is the 5/8 in the team which won the comp the last 2 years running...

Jack is just shaded by Kleary in most attacking categories (he wins some though)... Ball running stats and tackle breaks, Jack clear winner.

And Keary- errors considered- is having a blinder of a season by any measure. So no, I just don't buy this premise.
Keary is at 10 and Jack is at 14 (Zero Tackle) A bit further apart then even
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I adore Jack but anyone that thinks he's even close to as good as Keary is kidding themselves. Keary's the complete player.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2020, 10:21 am
BadnMean wrote:

Keary is at 10 and Jack is at 14 (Zero Tackle) A bit further apart then even
Even on foxsportslabs- which includes kicking errors. So swings and roundabouts, about even.
Last edited by BadnMean on July 4, 2020, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hazza wrote: July 4, 2020, 10:25 am I adore Jack but anyone that thinks he's even close to as good as Keary is kidding themselves. Keary's the complete player.
That's not the argument. The argument stated in the OP is that Jack's ball handling is in terminal decline, a threat to our chances this season and that "something needs to be done" about it.

Hence my comparison to a 5/8 playing a blinder of a season, who isn't far off Jack in most categories and even on errors (by some statistical sources). Comparison being that Jack's hands aren't destroying the season, but are similar to other high output halves at clubs who are capable of winning the comp.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Jack’s ball handling

Post by nachopants »

We've always lovingly called him EDIT-wighton or concrete-feet-jack.

Rocks and diamonds is his charm
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Love his ticker but.......
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Needs more cupping and whispering.
This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: July 4, 2020, 10:01 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2020, 8:05 am My concern is less about the ball handling and more about our inability to put bad opposition to bed.

This Seiff..

Something isn't right, it's way off. Our D is there or there abouts. The attack is lacking smooth. Pushing passes is a massive problem. Need to chill a bit.

At halftime last night who else thought we were going to see the boys run in another 30pts ?
I did..
Its very concerning to me.
Yep. The lack of patience is something this team has had in them for 20 years. I don't know what it is, but they push crazy short passes or kick when there's nothing on way too often. They seem to be allergic to repeat sets when we're attacking in the 20.

Dunno how you change that mentality. Hodgo, Wighton and Williams are all the kind of players who are going to go for the try scoring play in almost all circumstances on the attack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

As a team we lead the comp in handling errors don't we?

It was a similar story last year. It was ridiculous the number of times we won despite being significantly behind the opposition in the % of time we had the ball.

Lots of ticker. No real patience with the ball though.