What's wrong with us right now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: What's wrong with us right now?

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fair enough, wasn't watching that game closely. Maybe without Tedesco and Radley they lost their link men, I'm not sure but I think generally, they have a good system and freedom in their attacking play.

Parramatta certainly use the edges and don't feel they have to "reset to the middle" every time they do so, as we saw last night
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 28, 2020, 12:46 pm Fair enough, wasn't watching that game closely. Maybe without Tedesco and Radley they lost their link men, I'm not sure but I think generally, they have a good system and freedom in their attacking play.

Parramatta certainly use the edges and don't feel they have to "reset to the middle" every time they do so, as we saw last night
They have a great system that tests the opposition every ruck and in their own half.
What they do when they get closer to your line is cream on the pie.
They hurt your middle with constant motion and shape.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

In a couple of weeks Cam will drop past after the game and give us his read on where we are
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Too many basic errors. It might be a simple fix or it could be indicative of bigger issues. Given the circumstances I think we'll have to wait until after the Roosters and Storm games for a more definitive answer.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Do people honestly think we're unfit? I don't see that at all.

We lack patience and structure at times. And our right edge is obviously struggling for cohesion.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I don’t we are unfit, just lacking footy smarts at that moment. What ever happen to try and getting some repeat sets instead of always going for the clutch play?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dropping too much ball, and trying to wrestle and giving away repeat set penalties

We haven't adjusted at all

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 28, 2020, 3:39 pm Do people honestly think we're unfit? I don't see that at all.

We lack patience and structure at times. And our right edge is obviously struggling for cohesion.
I think the "unfit" comments come because they see the team standing around like a rabble, while we organise another one out runner or dummy half scoot.

There's no getting back out to formation to at least give the defence a reason to spread out and cover us. There's no bodies in motion to draw defenders and take some heat off the ball carrier. The support sniffing for offloads could be better.

So you can assume they are standing around because they are a clueless bunch of plodders or because they are buggered from constantly defending and then getting bashed trying to ruck out of our 20m.

That starts to look like unfitness. I'm not sure it is, just the same fatigue any team who constantly drops the ball or puts themselves under the pump would be feeling. It feels like our team looks stuffed all the time, right from our first 5 minutes until we drag ourselves off at halftime. But that's more because of the game situations we are putting ourselves in.

The travel cannot also be under-estimated. It's not "normal" NRL travel with an overnight to recover. It's a month of trudging up and down cambelltowns muddy surface, driving 6 hours a week immediately pre and post game- absolutely terrible recovery. Getting home at 2am, 3am when other teams are in bed by 11 or midnight easy. It adds up. It's just a 2%er and we can cope but coping isn't thriving. Every other team will be a bit fresher than us right now, bar perhaps the Warriors who have a whole unique set of challenges.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I've read or heard a few times from players and ex-players that doing those one percenters like pushing up on the ball consistently throughout the match has become difficult fitness wise, due to the ever increasing physical demands of the game. It requires a very high level of conditioning and something that can be the first thing to naturally drop off if there's not enough gas in the tank.

It's something very simple, so I'm quite sure the coaching staff and players are well aware of it when it's done and when it's not. That it doesn't seem to be happening as we believe it should be, especially relative to other teams, has to bring about fitness concerns. I'm not sure if we're at that elite level we need to be at this season.
Pun03
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Pun03 »

Simple really...
Forwards start aiming up and lay a good platform for the backs to work some of their magic.
The performance against the Storm highlights that simple philosophy.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Firstly those who are saying we mid BJ, mustnt remember we went most of last season without him and didnt struggle.

Also correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure that we havent completed our first set since melbournes game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pete Cash wrote: June 28, 2020, 9:33 am I don't think any single player is to blame. I really do think they are playing the footy tactically that stick wants. Its just not the right tactics since the rule change.

We are too predictable so to speak. Watch how the roosters use their back row compared to our guys. Look at how parra were offloading to players moving and we are offloading to players flatfooted

Every spine player in the comp takes bad options in games but because our players are so rarely asking questions when hodgson/Jack/Williams/cnk get trapped with the ball while there are opportunities it really stands out. If Ponga throws a **** pass knights fans aren't like oh no that's 60% of our attacking chances blown because they aren't playing such predictable footy.

We need to ask questions in attack because modern defences are frankly very good and they only make errors in decision making.

Decoy runs, players in motion, forwards running in pairs, support players in motion, etc are all very basic things that forces a defender to make a decision.

How often is an offload taken by hodgson who is preparing to go to acting half compared to say a player running onto the ball ?

Without beej we need good team play over good individual play and tactically we aren't doing it
Tbh this a great post.

I would also add the running dummy half plays from Curtis Scott once Hodgson and out forwards are behind the ball on the third is t a winner.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

-TW- wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:32 pm
cat wrote:too much travel and the impact its having on game day and during the week prep

Not having a crowd, we feed of the fans energy
Cop outs on both counts

Absolutely a big part of our energy is our home crowd, missing this badly, also, I’m finding hard to identify the posts on the GH theses days between the wall to wall advertising, it’s like something out of the movie “Brazil”
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Kryptonite wrote: June 28, 2020, 6:12 pm
-TW- wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:32 pm
cat wrote:too much travel and the impact its having on game day and during the week prep

Not having a crowd, we feed of the fans energy
Cop outs on both counts

Absolutely a big part of our energy is our home crowd, missing this badly, also, I’m finding hard to identify the posts on the GH theses days between the wall to wall advertising, it’s like something out of the movie “Brazil”
Not sure I believe the home ground past the point made about the travel.

We have notoriously sucked the past few years at GIO and are a lot stronger on the road. Don't think the players respond well to their home fans.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

If we are not unfit then we are either failing to execute a proper game plan (which we have experience in 2020) or our game plan (if you can call it that) is wrong and needs adjustment quickly.

For me, we look leggy in attack way more than in defence. I say this because it was exaggerated with how much better Young seemed to look compared to the other forwards when taking a ruck. He had more footwork and legspeed.

However in defence, we look disorganised understandably (due to positional differences) and structurally on edges.

Most notably is probably Scott with his very ineffective tackling on the right.

Tactically I see us continually punching through the ruck too many times with no wide variety where the ball simply shifts. We waste far to many plays with ‘set ups’ only to go through the ruck again and again and again...

I see Hodgson too busy trying to get the markers to bite, but instead of creating an overlap with either a quick or short pass, he’s directing runners through the markers again.

Either it’s the game plan (which is flawed) or he’s taking it upon himself to do too much before letting the ball fly wide and encourage more from the outside.

I personally think we are not fit enough to execute a motion driven offence.

We fall back on targeting the middle (hoping to catch a 6 again) and even if we do succeed in winning an additional 6 tackles, we don’t offer enough in attack to challenge the defensive opposing line.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Some very good analysis here - hope Ricky reads this forum!

Who is our attack coach? We need to be direct and then spread it out, too many attempts at magic balls to wingers (Wighton). Right side attack hardly used - Scott is hopeless and Williams has resorted to only kicking on that side instead of passing to Scott and then the winger (used to be Cotric but Rapana last night). Attack is very predictable.

Last tackle kicking game ineffective, need to get repeat sets, do the simple things right (like Williams forcing a line drop out instead of dead in goal which started Parra comeback). Williams needs to improve short kicking game.

Practice catching the high ball - hopeless this year and lack of confidence

Quicker play the balls e.g. Young and Sia that led to Papa try

Hodgo quicker distribution

Generally I've been happy with the forwards but ball control an issue - Havili pls take note as it was a critical time at the end of the first half and we could have put it to bed by scoring. Likewise Horse but he gets bad high balls from Hogo.

Too many dropped balls - this is critical as we start badly and on the backfoot straight away. Ball retention and completing sets is critical in this new game. Jack pls put sticky glue on

Oh and please drop Scott - we play with 12 men with him in the line up.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: June 28, 2020, 4:23 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: June 28, 2020, 3:39 pm Do people honestly think we're unfit? I don't see that at all.

I think the "unfit" comments come because they see the team standing around like a rabble, while we organise another one out runner or dummy half scoot.

There's no getting back out to formation to at least give the defence a reason to spread out and cover us. There's no bodies in motion to draw defenders and take some heat off the ball carrier. The support sniffing for offloads could be better.

So you can assume they are standing around because they are a clueless bunch of plodders or because they are buggered from constantly defending and then getting bashed trying to ruck out of our 20m.

That starts to look like unfitness. I'm not sure it is, just the same fatigue any team who constantly drops the ball or puts themselves under the pump would be feeling. It feels like our team looks stuffed all the time, right from our first 5 minutes until we drag ourselves off at halftime. But that's more because of the game situations we are putting ourselves in.

The travel cannot also be under-estimated. It's not "normal" NRL travel with an overnight to recover. It's a month of trudging up and down cambelltowns muddy surface, driving 6 hours a week immediately pre and post game- absolutely terrible recovery. Getting home at 2am, 3am when other teams are in bed by 11 or midnight easy. It adds up. It's just a 2%er and we can cope but coping isn't thriving. Every other team will be a bit fresher than us right now, bar perhaps the Warriors who have a whole unique set of challenges.
Yeah, I reckon we are just as fit as any team. You simply can't spill the ball a dozen times a game and still compete.

We made 120 more tackles than Manly the weekend before. No wonder we looked gassed in that game. We were better against Parra. It was the 20 minutes in the middle of the second half that killed us, but we came home reasonably strongly.

I think the fitness thing is a furphy, Ball security is something else entirely (especially early in the game). We are making too many errors.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

If I could make one change next week, it would be getting Hodgson to clear the ruck early. Pass the damn ball without taking one or two steps.

I were to build on that, I want him to get earlier ball to his halves without overplaying his hand.

My third change would be to play Scott on the bench. Cotric moves to 4, with Rapana outside him for experience. Simonsson can play on the left.

This team doesn't need to change much. We only just lost to the Eels despite being nowhere near our best.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:If I could make one change next week, it would be getting Hodgson to clear the ruck early. Pass the damn ball without taking one or two steps.

I were to build on that, I want him to get earlier ball to his halves without overplaying his hand.

My third change would be to play Scott on the bench. Cotric moves to 4, with Rapana outside him for experience. Simonsson can play on the left.

This team doesn't need to change much. We only just lost to the Eels despite being nowhere near our best.
Spot on re: Hodgson.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 28, 2020, 11:55 pm Last tackle kicking game ineffective, need to get repeat sets, do the simple things right (like Williams forcing a line drop out instead of dead in goal which started Parra comeback). Williams needs to improve short kicking game.
Really???

Williams has got a ton of try assists, and all of them bar one was from a pin-point short kick. From memory, the ball you refer to that dribbled dead (not by much) was the first one Williams has put out the back all year. Very hard marker, mate!

I shudder to think what you would have said last year about Sezer and Sam Williams' short kicking if you think George's is sub par!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

IMO, our top 5 problems right now, in order are:

1. Josh Hodgson: His form is appalling at the moment. He is still able to impact games and have some moments but overall the decision making, his kicking and his general service is at a level that i thought was not possible for him. He is the fulcrum of this team, we cannot be successful against good teams with him playing like this, it hurts our forwards and it hurts our halves.

2. CNK's ball playing: Look at the Dragons Roosters game on the weekend, this is a bad and poorly coached Dragons team, against the best and most dominant team in recent memory. They managed to put up 2 tries against that excellent defence doing nothing more than running and executing a 2nd man fullback/sweep play. The reality is the way RL is played now, that is the simplest and easiest way to score. Even bad teams can score on elite teams this way, it's a basic structure that you can just run and eventually you'll find some success, the best teams run it so effectively it seems unstoppable at times... We can't even run this stuff, because unfortunately our fullback is absolutely wonderful in every other aspect of the game, but is a total zero on this front... the pressure this puts on us in attack is significant. Especially when Hodgson is playing the way he is. We can play creatively around the ruck with Hodgson, and George has some real creative stuff in his game, and Jack is obviously a weapon in the red zone... but all that falls apart when Hodgson is playing this way. And we dont have that fall back option to just run a simple sweep and try to score that way... it's not in our play book. It's a major problem imo.

3. John Bateman: It's not so much his play we are missing, though certainly we do miss his impact as a pure footballer, but i believe we're missing the mentality he brings to this team. We're not working as hard, we'll playing as tough and we're not willing to commit to grinding it out. I believe that comes from him. And the forward pack follows him in that, without it, im looking at our forward pack and i'm seeing a pretty bog average (note, not bad, just middle of the road) forward pack. It's not the difference making pack it was last year without JB.

4. Curtis Scott: There is no way around it, the guy is involved in 50% of the tries we're conceding. I don't really have much interest in going over the previous discussions again regarding Scott, because my position hasnt change on his talent level and what ever side of the of the isle you're on, i doubt you've changed either. And frankly it doesnt matter now, talent is talent, if you have it and not your remotely displaying it, its as useful to us as not having it. Though i dont think he was as bad in this Parra game as people say, he certain wasnt good enough to save his spot. I dont think Stuart will do it, but it is now time to bring in Oldy or if the coach thinks he's ready, i want to see what HSS has to offer.

5. Discipline: We're just not adapting to the new style quickly enough. We're putting ourselves under a lot of undue pressure simply because we're still trying to work the ruck so much, and then there is the mental discipline which is showing up with consistent errors coming out of our own end. And not a ton of them are being forced, it's a lot of clean drop ball concentration errors. I dont know why this is happening, perhaps the travel situation is not being handled as well as we'd like from the coaches and players, so they're just not quite got their heads in the game. But between the ruck and the silly errors, we're shooting ourselves in the foot a lot.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Our attack isn't great at present but it was never that flash at any stage last year. Think I'm right in saying last year was the fewest amount of points we've scored since 2014. '17 and '18 we were among the best attacking teams in the comp. Fat lot of good that did us.

But we made the gf. We made the gf due to us transforming in to a gritty dour defensive team. And I'm cool with that if it gets results. Last year I always had confidence we'd repel the opposition when they had repeated sets on our line. This year I don't. 34 v the knights. 25 v the eels. Wasn't happening last year. Only the chooks put 30 on us. We scored 24 points the other night against a very good defensive team (albeit 12 in the last 4 mins when we thought the game was lost) That should be enough to win a game.

I'm more worried about our defence than our attack. If we're doing anything this year it won't be off the back of dynamic attack. That's the style Ricky's implemented. Even in the Manly game as poor as our attack was, they still scored 2 really soft tries. Have to sort out edge d out or we ain't making top 4 this year. I have no issue with our middles. Horse is a loss..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Right now ?

Batemans leaving.
Bulldogs chasing Cotric.
We have a injured Horse.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Went through and had a look at our team stats, and it says a lot to me. Areas of concern:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... isAvg=true

https://www.nrl.com/stats/

Attack

9th in tackle busts
14th in offloads
13th in possession
11th in completions
13th in attacking kicks
14th in forced dropouts
3rd in dummy half runs
3rd in one pass hit-ups
12th in line engagements
16th in general play passes
9th in supporting runs
10th in decoy runs
2nd in errors

Defence

6th in running metres conceded
7th in linebreaks conceded
4th in tackles made
2nd in missed tackles

So basically confirmed we've become very conservative (ball in hand or on foot), one dimensional, one out, with little expansiveness, ball movement, bodies in motions, or second phase play, and yet we're still making loads of errors and not completing enough, not controlling possession, and spending loads of fuel in defence which is making it increasingly ineffective.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: July 11, 2020, 3:38 pm Went through and had a look at our team stats, and it says a lot to me. Areas of concern:

Attack

9th in tackle busts
14th in offloads
13th in possession
11th in completions
13th in attacking kicks
14th in forced dropouts
3rd in dummy half runs
3rd in one pass hit-ups
12th in line engagements
9th in supporting runs
10th in decoy runs
2nd in errors

Defence

4th in tackles made
2nd in missed tackles

So basically confirmed we've become very conservative (ball in hand or on foot), one dimensional, one out, with little expansiveness, ball movement, bodies in motions, or second phase play, and yet we're still making loads of errors and not completing enough, not controlling possession, and spending loads of fuel in defence which is making it increasingly ineffective.
Good find...
Really highlights the point that this one out conservative approach is killing us.
Surely this is coached?
Dummy half runs was something that occurred to me lately....the fact that Hodgson does too much with the ball before releasing and yet seldom attacks for a run from Dummy half. Its a lack of variation really.
Really interesting read.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: July 11, 2020, 4:20 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 11, 2020, 3:38 pm Went through and had a look at our team stats, and it says a lot to me. Areas of concern:

Attack

9th in tackle busts
14th in offloads
13th in possession
11th in completions
13th in attacking kicks
14th in forced dropouts
3rd in dummy half runs
3rd in one pass hit-ups
12th in line engagements
9th in supporting runs
10th in decoy runs
2nd in errors

Defence

4th in tackles made
2nd in missed tackles

Good find...
Really highlights the point that this one out conservative approach is killing us.
Surely this is coached?
Dummy half runs was something that occurred to me lately....the fact that Hodgson does too much with the ball before releasing and yet seldom attacks for a run from Dummy half. Its a lack of variation really.
Really interesting read.
Would say it's definitely coached. This is clear game strategy.

We've been big on dummy half runs for a number for years now under Stick. Thing is, we also had guys like Raps in much better condition and form and BJ, and weren't that heavily reliant on it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes. We are far less effective outbox dummy half than we were from 2016-2018.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The stats basically say our current ladder position is quite flattering.
Aside from beating Melbourne post COVID hiatus, we’ve beaten bog average teams.
Pun03
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Pun03 »

If there is something wrong with us right now.. we need to find a solution quick fast.
They know how to beat the Storm that's been proven with their last 3 starts against them.
Go back to the formula that worked in those victories and execute it tonight.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hold onto the ball.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

What's wrong with us right now?

Post by Sid »

Hodgson’s knees

Bailey Simmonson being a big bully
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Haven’t invested enough of the cap in referees
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

What's not wrong with us?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Was interesting to see Parra struggle today, their first real road trip.
Vaccinated
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id say having a few bloke out long term is what's wrong