Re: 2020 Rd 8 V Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

I think they'll line up as named.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Only wighton is saving him in defense. Cotric played centre in his lower grades and is a better in attack and Defense than toots.. although we admire his passion.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

radicalraider wrote:Only wighton is saving him in defense. Cotric played centre in his lower grades and is a better in attack and Defense than toots.. although we admire his passion.
I saw a chart that showed easily lowest number of tries were down the left centre spot, compared with wings or right centre. Can't remember where I saw it
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

radicalraider wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:39 pm Only wighton is saving him in defense. Cotric played centre in his lower grades and is a better in attack and Defense than toots.. although we admire his passion.
Yet in attack last year Croker scored 13 tries and set up who knows how many. Cotric scored 4 tries at centre and set up very few that I can recall. I don't think Cotric is a very good attacking centre at all actually, I think he offers way more on the wing.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart revamps Canberra Raiders' right edge to face St George Illawarra Dragons

A loss of confidence, rather than his ongoing court case has led to Curtis Scott's form slump and his subsequent dropping to the Canberra Raiders bench.

"I'll be keeping Bailey and 'Oldie' there on the right, Nick will stay on the left," Stuart said. "It's unfortunate for Curtis at the moment, but he's just out of a little bit of form and I think that's more through confidence.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells all on the John Bateman contract drama, dropping Curtis Scott to the bench, and the latest on Corey Horsburgh's surgery. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/TftG50AlvRB

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Oldie / Simon edge. This will be interesting.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:07 pm Oldie / Simon edge. This will be interesting.
Yes, along with Young and Williams. If we do line up that way you would imagine Dragons will target that edge a lot. It's one reason I'm expecting Sticky to pull a switcheroo. Wouldn't surprised to see Cotric and Oldy line up that side.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Finchy wrote: June 30, 2020, 4:43 pm I think if Raps wasn't injured Scott wouldn't have been in the squad at all. I also think unless there's an injury, he'll be riding the pine for a good 75 mins to let it sink in.
This is how I'm reading it. That if Raps was fit, Oldie would be the 14 with Bailey into the side. Scott rides the pine solely by virtue of Raps' dodgy calf.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Oldie on the right wing outside Cotric...

Strong carry out of trouble, fast and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2020 Rd 8 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 4:06 pm I'd swap Oldy and Cotric
I think Oldy is an NRL standard winger, i think he could start in a lot of teams there... he had some struggles at centre in some games... im a bit worried about that.
Yep and pretty sure Ricky will play Cotric at centre despite being in the 5 jersey.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I completely discount the numbers they’re named In. Surely Simonsson plays outside Croker where he trained all off season and Oldy and Cotric are on the right. I would prefer Cotric at Centre we will see what happens.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sadly we’re now in the situation where we are thinking about smoke screening. That’s not what teams do when they in control and confident of what they’re doing.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Finchy wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:51 pm
radicalraider wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:39 pm Only wighton is saving him in defense. Cotric played centre in his lower grades and is a better in attack and Defense than toots.. although we admire his passion.
Yet in attack last year Croker scored 13 tries and set up who knows how many. Cotric scored 4 tries at centre and set up very few that I can recall. I don't think Cotric is a very good attacking centre at all actually, I think he offers way more on the wing.
Cotric's major strengths are his defense, and his ball returns. Definately offers way more at wing.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I also think we will see Croker/Simonsson on the left side with Cotric/Oldfield as the right side centre/winger pairing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good to see Stuart has finally listened to me and put Scott on the bench. I didn't think he'd drop him entirely, but he needs a rest.

Pity Rapa is injured. Oldy in the centres is not ideal. I think Cotric is the better defender in that position, but I understand why Stuart would keep Cotric on the wing if that's the way they actually run out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The main issue for us now is Hodgo's penchant to over play his role at dummy half.

Keep it simple boys.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:14 pm The main issue for us now is Hodgo's penchant to over play his role at dummy half.

Keep it simple boys.
100% one of the biggest issues we have at the moment.
Going to be interesting to see if he adjusts his game.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Dusty wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:20 pm Oldie on the right wing outside Cotric...

Strong carry out of trouble, fast and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I think that's what will happen too. Unless the Stuart statement is right about Cotric on the left wing, which would be because he's expecting the Dragons to line up as stated, which is:

2. Jason Saab
3. Euan Aitken
4. Zac Lomax
5. Mikaele Ravalawa

Now Ravalawa is a spud but a big strong one, and maybe Cotric is the bloke to take him out. Or perhaps he'll just continue to drop the ball and be a poor man's Parra Fijian. Personally I don't reckon any of that three quarter line should be a problem but what do I know?

I do wonder though if the rumours about Cotric wanting to be a centre (which seems to have started in Brent Read's imagination) are going to have any influence on team selection. Maybe the coach will see how that goes again against inverted-commas weak opposition?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can we grab a win here boys ?

Thanks..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:30 pm Sadly we’re now in the situation where we are thinking about smoke screening. That’s not what teams do when they in control and confident of what they’re doing.
Not entirely true. Roosters and Robinson do this all the time. No reason to give your opponent a leg up in preparation.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

TongueFTW wrote: July 1, 2020, 7:51 am
greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:30 pm Sadly we’re now in the situation where we are thinking about smoke screening. That’s not what teams do when they in control and confident of what they’re doing.
Not entirely true. Roosters and Robinson do this all the time. No reason to give your opponent a leg up in preparation.
I think the point is we should have the mentality that we're going to play the players in the positions they are named, and no matter how well the opposition plans their game around that positioning, we're good enough to beat you anyway. When you're resorting to pulling the old switcheroo to mess with the opposition's plans, it shows that you aren't confident on beating them on your own merit, you have to resort to trickery to pull a swifty on them.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Stuart talks team changes, Horsburgh injury: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has opened up on the latest changes to his side while also conceding that Corey Horsburgh may be out for the remainder of the 2020 season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... gh-injury/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

With Scott’s performances meaning he’s been jumped and now 2nd reserve back I think it would have been a good opportunity to give Smith-Shields that utility back role on the bench tbh. I wouldn’t like it if it meant he was missing his hardening up period in reserve grade but there’s none of that and would give him the experience of NRL game day.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Rubbish! Every team does it.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

We know Oldfield has his limitations, but he's entertaining none-the-less and brings some attacking flair that could ignite us.

Ricky's making a fair statement dumping Scott to the bench on a week that we're already without Rapana. I like it.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Oldie and Cotric doing the ol'switcheroo throughout the game. Cotric's hard to handle and being a a bit closer to the action is only a plus IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Oldy will give us some genuine speed, which is something we lack, so that'll be nice
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are all taking points off each other this week.

Despite our poor form we could be back on the cusp of the top 4 with a win here.

It really is a must win on Friday, there are no excuses.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

if we dont win this week.

That will do us for the season.

Win this week, who knows maybe it gives us that little bit of confidence we need.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Also, I wonder how many more losses we suffer before we stop getting labelled as "heavyweights" in the media?

I am already feeling a bit sheepish with the tag and think we need to have some success against the Roosters, Storm and Penrith over the coming 6 weeks before we can rightfully think of ourselves as such.
Up The Milk
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 1, 2020, 3:15 pm 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are all taking points off each other this week.

Despite our poor form we could be back on the cusp of the top 4 with a win here.

It really is a must win on Friday, there are no excuses.
Storm and Roosters after this game. Gee we're in trouble if we get beat by the dragons...
Mullos
Gary Coyne

Post by Mullos »

I tend to think the JB contractual situation has had an impact on the playing group over the past 5 rounds. With some closure, and certainty I’m hoping we can all move on including the playing group and reset somewhat with a solid win Friday. Hudson young now can really make a statement in fixing his previous misdemeanours. We are still very capable team GH.. just got to believe and get back on the bus
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Dragons: Tapine return to ease Horsburgh blow: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34096

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/29/rai ... to-return/

VIDEO: Raiders v Dragons: Jamie Soward and Matt Elliott tip the Raiders to defeat the Dragons in Friday night's clash at Canberra Stadium: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/01/rai ... --round-8/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Ryan Sutton: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... an-sutton/

Deputy NSW Premier, The Hon. John Barilaro MP to blow the Viking horn: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... v-dragons/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mullos wrote: July 1, 2020, 5:30 pm I tend to think the JB contractual situation has had an impact on the playing group over the past 5 rounds. With some closure, and certainty I’m hoping we can all move on including the playing group and reset somewhat with a solid win Friday. Hudson young now can really make a statement in fixing his previous misdemeanours. We are still very capable team GH.. just got to believe and get back on the bus
I suspect you're right. I just hope that now it is settled, it has no on-going effect.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Alan Tongue confident Canberra Raiders can bury injury and John Bateman contract drama

The Canberra Raiders' fate rests in their own hands as they look to bury the distractions of broken contracts and mass changes and rediscover their brilliant best.

"I'm confident they can bury that. It can be as disruptive as you let it be," Alan Tongue said. "This happens quite regularly, not just at the Raiders but at all football clubs.We've almost become used to it to a certain degree, players chop and change and there is always something going on in the background.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

Where does John Bateman go after leaving Canberra Raiders? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Dragons: Tapine return to ease Horsburgh blow: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34096

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/29/rai ... to-return/

VIDEO: Raiders v Dragons: Jamie Soward and Matt Elliott tip the Raiders to defeat the Dragons in Friday night's clash at Canberra Stadium: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/01/rai ... --round-8/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Ryan Sutton: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... an-sutton/

Deputy NSW Premier, The Hon. John Barilaro MP to blow the Viking horn: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/07 ... v-dragons/

Legendary Raiders fullback Gary Belcher weighs in over Bateman contract saga, describing the manner in which negotiations unfolded as "not right": https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-j ... 5fe37858fb

John Bateman is "no longer a part of the Raiders' future" says Phil Gould: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... 89bd3c2571

PODCAST: Canberra Times Sport: Right or wrong for Raiders to cut loose John Bateman?’ on #SoundCloud #np https://soundcloud.com/ctnosebleedsecti ... hn-bateman
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 8 V Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:Oldy will give us some genuine speed, which is something we lack, so that'll be nice
I agree, we have needed pace our wide for sometime. I’m excited about having Oldy in there. I also like him at centre too and hopefully he will push up with Young giving Williams options