All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Shannon Boyd reportedly wants to switch back to Canberra Raiders

Post by Brew »

Shannon Boyd wants switch back to Raiders

Giant prop Shannon Boyd could be on the move at season's end. Boyd still has two years to run on his Titans deal but word is that he is homesick for the Raiders, where he began his NRL career in 2014 and played over 100 games.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-james ... 1e87e2eab7

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by zim »

He's too slow. Even on min wage.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Brew wrote: June 16, 2020, 10:25 am Shannon Boyd wants switch back to Raiders

Giant prop Shannon Boyd could be on the move at the end of the season after struggling since moving to the Titans last season.

Boyd still has two years to run on his Titans deal but word is that he is homesick for the Raiders, where he began his NRL career in 2014 and played over 100 games.

Would need to lose weight, get fit, and sort his attitude
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

wouldn't make my current 18, but I'd take him back if it were on the cheap (likely supplemented in part by the TItans) filling a L.Bateman, JJ Collins, sort of position

wasn't there a photo of Boyd at the shops recently-ish where he was wearing Raiders footy shorts?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

right price absolutely

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Not sure he's suited to the new interpretations. And it's hard to judge if he still has his best football in him or if he left it 3 years ago...

That said, on a small contract, 15 minutes of rampaging Boydy either side of halftime might be a decent gamble to take. Won't be too fussed either way.

The only real open spot we have in our middles is if Sia hangs them up this year (last I heard he was bullish on 2021 though). He'd strengthen the mix but might end up playing a lot of reggies if he doesn't get in tip top shape.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d have him back, but I just don’t see it happening for under $200k. Which I think is about what he is worth under the new rules.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

No thanks

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boy there is a lot to that he'd need to do
He'd have to strip off a ton of weight and probably near 70% pay cut, and probably not starting for us anytime soon, but if you could get him dirt cheap it might be worth kicking the tyres on for a 1-2 year deal
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Brew wrote: June 16, 2020, 10:25 am Shannon Boyd wants switch back to Raiders

Giant prop Shannon Boyd could be on the move at the end of the season after struggling since moving to the Titans last season.

Boyd still has two years to run on his Titans deal but word is that he is homesick for the Raiders, where he began his NRL career in 2014 and played over 100 games.

A pass so hard it could cut glass.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 2:03 pm Boy there is a lot to that he'd need to do
He'd have to strip off a ton of weight and probably near 70% pay cut, and probably not starting for us anytime soon, but if you could get him dirt cheap it might be worth kicking the tyres on for a 1-2 year deal
Yeah I just had a look at Zero Tackle to compare height and weight. At 6'4, he's not the tallest out there Zac Saddler and Nelson Asofa-Solomona come in at 6'7, but at 122kgs he's the 2nd heaviest behind Junior Paulo.

As a comparison, Zero Tackle say the weight of other Props at 6'4
Andrew Fifita - 118kg
Aaron Woods - 111kg
Reagan Campbell-Gillard - 115kg
Ryan James - 106kg
Paul Vaughan - 110kg
JWH - 108kg

Then looking at the tallest unit, Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 115kg
So he could lose 7 - 10kgs and be on par with other players his size.

If he's homesick, the paycut could be doable, especially when his form doesn't warrant what he's currently on. Im sure the Titans would be able to wear some of the contract as well. For me, if he could get to a similar playing weight as those I've mentioned, he could be worth a punt.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

if hes coming back as a ricky project at project price then im a yes. rick knows him and our game style and if thinks its worth it and can get something, even if its just a stronger opposed session at training, then go for it
Dont delete this GE
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

BadnMean wrote: June 16, 2020, 12:47 pm Not sure he's suited to the new interpretations. And it's hard to judge if he still has his best football in him or if he left it 3 years ago...

That said, on a small contract, 15 minutes of rampaging Boydy either side of halftime might be a decent gamble to take. Won't be too fussed either way.

The only real open spot we have in our middles is if Sia hangs them up this year (last I heard he was bullish on 2021 though). He'd strengthen the mix but might end up playing a lot of reggies if he doesn't get in tip top shape.
Except there hasn't been 3 minutes of rampaging Boydy for 5 years, let alone 15 mins. I'd only be happy to see him back as about 18th choice on absolute minimum wage. He hasn't even been on the titans extended bench the last couple of weeks and I don't think he's injured.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Titans would have to pay freight, the Raiders could only justify a minimum contract. Sad for Shannon, it was a very bad career move going to the Titans.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 16, 2020, 2:45 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 2:03 pm Boy there is a lot to that he'd need to do
Yeah I just had a look at Zero Tackle to compare height and weight. At 6'4, he's not the tallest out there Zac Saddler and Nelson Asofa-Solomona come in at 6'7, but at 122kgs he's the 2nd heaviest behind Junior Paulo.

As a comparison, Zero Tackle say the weight of other Props at 6'4
Andrew Fifita - 118kg
Aaron Woods - 111kg
Reagan Campbell-Gillard - 115kg
Ryan James - 106kg
Paul Vaughan - 110kg
JWH - 108kg

Then looking at the tallest unit, Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 115kg
So he could lose 7 - 10kgs and be on par with other players his size.

If he's homesick, the paycut could be doable, especially when his form doesn't warrant what he's currently on. Im sure the Titans would be able to wear some of the contract as well. For me, if he could get to a similar playing weight as those I've mentioned, he could be worth a punt.
Jr lost a heap of weight over the corona stand down. He is now 110-115kgs rather than over 120kgs. You can see it too. No longer a butter ball/ bowling ball shape, even if he still looks solid.

Boyd would have to do the same. His issue is, he was never a big motor guy, whereas even at 120+kgs Jr would keep on keeping on.

Then he'd have to accept a min wage contract too.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Rampaging and destructive when at his best for us, but he just doesn't fit into the squad motif any longer. Our middle players have all shrunk in size to the point where Guler is probably the biggest, and even he is very mobile. There's a reason why we're now starting with the likes of Dunamis Lui nowadays, or why we shifted a top second rower like Papalii to the middle - it's not based on talent only.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Yes I didn't like the Papalii to middle move but now I couldn't see it any other way
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2020, 3:26 pm The Titans would have to pay freight, the Raiders could only justify a minimum contract. Sad for Shannon, it was a very bad career move going to the Titans.
Agree. He could easily be in our squad, but he has gone from a test player to only being on the fringe for us.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

RichmondRaider wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:16 pm Yes I didn't like the Papalii to middle move but now I couldn't see it any other way
Papalli has been great at prop because he has been used properly. I was concerned we were wasting one of our best players doing the grunt work. However he is rarely used as a battering ram. Guys like Lui and Soliola fulfil that job nicely and then we have Sutton and Guler to really give us punch off the bench.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money... and then lets see if Stuart can get him back to something resembling an NRL FG middle... to others points, im not sure if that's even possible given his style and the way the game is headed... but i do think at that very low level cost, it would be worth a shot.

I doubt this happens because i dont think the club is going to be willing to pay much for him, and i dont think the Titans would be willing to take on that much freight, nor do i think Shannon Boyd is going to give up 800k+ from his remaining 2 years just to come back to Canberra

As GE said, this is a tale of caution for players... not that i ever advocate for this, because ****, get you damn money is my philosophy for players but this really was a catastrophic career move for him. I dont know that it would have turned out much better had he choose to stay and take less, but it cant have possibly gone worse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money... and then lets see if Stuart can get him back to something resembling an NRL FG middle... to others points, im not sure if that's even possible given his style and the way the game is headed... but i do think at that very low level cost, it would be worth a shot.

I doubt this happens because i dont think the club is going to be willing to pay much for him, and i dont think the Titans would be willing to take on that much freight, nor do i think Shannon Boyd is going to give up 800k+ from his remaining 2 years just to come back to Canberra

As GE said, this is a tale of caution for players... not that i ever advocate for this, because ****, get you damn money is my philosophy for players but this really was a catastrophic career move for him. I dont know that it would have turned out much better had he choose to stay and take less, but it cant have possibly gone worse.
The sums can't add up, he'd have to take a significant cut if he's that keen to get out of the Gold Coast.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hard pass on Boyd.

Offers absolutely nothing for the style and type of football we should be playing.

Roosters last night - all forwards in motion - I.e. forwards running together in attack. That's the blue print.
Can't see Boyd doing any of that. Too big, too slow and not dynamic with the ball at all.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Shannon Boyd reportedly wants to switch back to Canberra Raiders

Post by -PJ- »

With the pending retirement of Sia is SBoyd the answer ? Even on peanuts..

I think today's game has left Shannon behind unfortunately.

He'd have to undergo a major transformation to get into shape. He'd be playing next to no 1st grade here initially until he passes a skin fold test. Is Ricky ready for that ? I don't know.

Our coach will make a call on anyone coming to our club, and I'll leave that decision with him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Bay53 wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:24 pm
RichmondRaider wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:16 pm Yes I didn't like the Papalii to middle move but now I couldn't see it any other way
Papalli has been great at prop because he has been used properly. I was concerned we were wasting one of our best players doing the grunt work. However he is rarely used as a battering ram. Guys like Lui and Soliola fulfil that job nicely and then we have Sutton and Guler to really give us punch off the bench.
I think the key to Papalii excelling there compared to the odd stints he used to have in the middle and look ordinary is the extra size he's kept on. He didn't have that extra punch previously when running into a wall of 2-3 players in the middle.

It's affected his mobility and he's certainly not as quick as he was before, but he doesn't need to be in the middle.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 16, 2020, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Very hard pass on Boyd.
Not the type of player we should entertain - too big, too slow, not dynamic.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Boyd had every opportunity to justify his inflated salary, get fit and pump out big minutes at the Titans. Instead he became a salary cap and on-field liability.

I've never liked his lateral movement and even at his peak he was a liability in transition or when we were defending errors.

If he can work hard, and lose a ton of weight like Dave Taylor, then maybe he is worth a punt on a relatively small contract. I just see him as an overpaid flat track bully. The front row equivalent of Ben Hunt.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 16, 2020, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money
Disagree.
I have a problem with it and the lack of ambition it would show.
You don't make this type of move at all if you plan on being taken serious as a football club.
And for those advocating skin fold tests and weight loss programs, why should Ricky ever have to do that?
If these players (who are overpaid) cant maintain a reasonable diet and playing weight, then that shows a lack of discipline and poor attitude to your job.
No thanks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:05 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money... and then lets see if Stuart can get him back to something resembling an NRL FG middle... to others points, im not sure if that's even possible given his style and the way the game is headed... but i do think at that very low level cost, it would be worth a shot.

The sums can't add up, he'd have to take a significant cut if he's that keen to get out of the Gold Coast.
Yep, either the titans are going to swallow some 400k+ x 2 years just to get rid of him, or Shannon is going to have to agree to null the contract and forgo that money

I can’t see either of those situations happening. The contract is such an albatross that I can’t see how anything gets done
They’re just going to have to eat **** on it for 2 more years
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

No thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The only time Boyd is useful is the suicide hitup from a kickoff, or when the opposition turns the ball over coming out of their side of the field.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

At his best id take him ahead of Lui any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

VictorTheViking wrote:At his best id take him ahead of Lui any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Not defensively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:23 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money
Disagree.
I have a problem with it and the lack of ambition it would show.
You don't make this type of move at all if you plan on being taken serious as a football club.
And for those advocating skin fold tests and weight loss programs, why should Ricky ever have to do that?
If these players (who are overpaid) cant maintain a reasonable diet and playing weight, then that shows a lack of discipline and poor attitude to your job.
No thanks.
Taking a former international (albeit one who probably didn’t really deserve that spot) who thrived for this team and this coach on a pie and coke deal after a disastrous tenure at a club where that is known to kill careers is a move that makes you not taken seriously as a club?

Right. Not sure I’m with you on that one. Melbourne have had a pretty good of things doing exactly that type of thing.

Anyone who would rather have JJ Collins or Luke Bateman at the same price over Boyd needs to reassess their risk appetite imo.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Could be the next "Dave Taylor" project

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga