Shannon Boyd reportedly wants to switch back to Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2020, 3:26 pm The Titans would have to pay freight, the Raiders could only justify a minimum contract. Sad for Shannon, it was a very bad career move going to the Titans.
Even sadder for the Titans I'd imagine.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 2:03 pm Boy there is a lot to that he'd need to do
He'd have to strip off a ton of weight and probably near 70% pay cut, and probably not starting for us anytime soon, but if you could get him dirt cheap it might be worth kicking the tyres on for a 1-2 year deal
Yeah I just had a look at Zero Tackle to compare height and weight. At 6'4, he's not the tallest out there Zac Saddler and Nelson Asofa-Solomona come in at 6'7, but at 122kgs he's the 2nd heaviest behind Junior Paulo.

As a comparison, Zero Tackle say the weight of other Props at 6'4
Andrew Fifita - 118kg
Aaron Woods - 111kg
Reagan Campbell-Gillard - 115kg
Ryan James - 106kg
Paul Vaughan - 110kg
JWH - 108kg

Then looking at the tallest unit, Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 115kg
So he could lose 7 - 10kgs and be on par with other players his size.

If he's homesick, the paycut could be doable, especially when his form doesn't warrant what he's currently on. Im sure the Titans would be able to wear some of the contract as well. For me, if he could get to a similar playing weight as those I've mentioned, he could be worth a punt.
Watching Sundays game there is no way Andrew Fifita is under 120.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Shannon Boyd reportedly wants to switch back to Canberra Raiders

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah those recorded weights are never accurate. Ever.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Danaman137 wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:At his best id take him ahead of Lui any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Not defensively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, so many times he'd be middle forward behind the play-the-ball and everybody would just scoot straight past him, through the middle.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:49 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:23 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money
Disagree.
I have a problem with it and the lack of ambition it would show.
You don't make this type of move at all if you plan on being taken serious as a football club.
And for those advocating skin fold tests and weight loss programs, why should Ricky ever have to do that?
If these players (who are overpaid) cant maintain a reasonable diet and playing weight, then that shows a lack of discipline and poor attitude to your job.
No thanks.
Taking a former international (albeit one who probably didn’t really deserve that spot) who thrived for this team and this coach on a pie and coke deal after a disastrous tenure at a club where that is known to kill careers is a move that makes you not taken seriously as a club?

Right. Not sure I’m with you on that one. Melbourne have had a pretty good of things doing exactly that type of thing.

Anyone who would rather have JJ Collins or Luke Bateman at the same price over Boyd needs to reassess their risk appetite imo.
I’d rather do without Bateman (Lite) Collins AND Boyd.

Not worth a pie and coke. Keep the powder dry for upgrade or the next potential young player that fits in our system.

The game has surpassed Boyd and it would be two steps back wasting any coin on him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: As GE said, this is a tale of caution for players... not that i ever advocate for this, because ****, get you damn money is my philosophy for players but this really was a catastrophic career move for him. I dont know that it would have turned out much better had he choose to stay and take less, but it cant have possibly gone worse.
I think it might have. The game still moves past him and he has less money to cheer him up at the end of the day...

But on field, yeah probably not.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Would love to have him back. Miss that impact player off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Ruck defense is more important now. He's too slow. He's never getting to a weight / fitness level where he is effective. I'd be grabbing someone like a Scott Sorensen or a Brodie Jones before Boyd.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Didn't we just HAVE Scott Sorensen on the books?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Guys like Sorensen and Jj Collins are a guaranteed zero
They have never and will never give you anything of real value in an NRL game

Boyd at least has a chance, albeit a low one to give you something of real value. And the reality is every nrl squad has these zeros filling out the back end of the roster

I’d sooner punt on the young kids too, but Sorensen? Collins? Guys like that?
I’ll kick the tyres on Boyd over them, it might be lottery odds that it pans out, but at least Boyd holds a ticket

Hard to hit the jackpot on guys Sorensen and co when they aren’t holding a single ticket
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Did someone just mention Scott Sorensen? He just got dropped for Royce Hunt.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If he was pumping out regular games of 150+ metres and getting quick play the balls, then you could probably cop his slower defence.
But he has never averaged more than 100m per game in any season ever.
He was pumping out 35mins and 90metres in the two years before he left. He was never worth the money offered by the Titans and he would have been a madman not to take it.

Pass
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I mentioned this could be a possibility and a good bit of business last year. These changes really eat into that though and it’s not worth a big gamble now though.

I agree with botman pretty much.

I’m all for taking this opportunity up (trying to bleed the Titans dry) for a few reasons:

- I believe somehow that the game will slow down as the season goes on.
- As mentioned he’s an international and I think he bleeds green but was pretty much told by the club he’d be stupid not to take the money.
- We are properly short on actual props.

Canberra pretty much if interested need to say yes but we’re not paying you over 150k a season or whatever they deem worth the gamble. That needs to be a hard line and the ball is then in Boyd and Titans court. I think the gap between his current contract and what he’s actually worth now means it won’t happen unless maybe he gets offers from England.

But after saying that if Stuart and the staff believe he can’t do it after the changes I have no dramas with that at all.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It’s one of the very worst signings ever made by a club though from the Titans and I think a lot of us called that at the time.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

**** no. Too fat, too slow, he's had a couple of injuries, and he was very quick to leave us when the big money was on offer even when he was a starting prop, so no loyalty. I won't forget in a hurry how utterly disinterested and s*** he played for us after his contract was signed.

He's made his bed, he can lie in it. He could have chosen to continue to be an extremely damaging forward, he could have worked hard and become one of the Titans' best players, instead he chose to rest on his laurels.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yep, I'd take Royce Hunt over shannon boyd too.
And really we're talking about guys getting dropped for people? Boyd can't even get on the bench at the titans. :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He phoned it in big time after he signed the Tits deal.

Remember that period everybody ?

He deadset gave up.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

zim wrote: June 16, 2020, 7:59 pm Yep, I'd take Royce Hunt over shannon boyd too.
And really we're talking about guys getting dropped for people? Boyd can't even get on the bench at the titans. :lol:
That’s not uncommon up there for highly paid, over-rated players.

Titans recruiting 101:
- wait for player from opposing team to have one good season
- con them into joining the rabble on a long term, big $$ contract
- realise player is overpaid, over-rated
- drop player to reserve grade until they request a release because their career and reputation is ruined
- repeat again, don’t learn from mistakes

Leilani Latu, Shannon Boyd. I’m sure there’s been plenty more over the years.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Peter wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:15 pm
zim wrote: June 16, 2020, 7:59 pm Yep, I'd take Royce Hunt over shannon boyd too.

Titans recruiting 101:
- drop player to reserve grade until they request a release because their career and reputation is ruined

John Bateman?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:49 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2020, 5:23 pm
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 4:28 pm I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being in the squad if he was on the JJ Collins/Luke Bateman type of money
Disagree.
I have a problem with it and the lack of ambition it would show.
You don't make this type of move at all if you plan on being taken serious as a football club.
And for those advocating skin fold tests and weight loss programs, why should Ricky ever have to do that?
If these players (who are overpaid) cant maintain a reasonable diet and playing weight, then that shows a lack of discipline and poor attitude to your job.
No thanks.
Taking a former international (albeit one who probably didn’t really deserve that spot) who thrived for this team and this coach on a pie and coke deal after a disastrous tenure at a club where that is known to kill careers is a move that makes you not taken seriously as a club?

Right. Not sure I’m with you on that one. Melbourne have had a pretty good of things doing exactly that type of thing.

Anyone who would rather have JJ Collins or Luke Bateman at the same price over Boyd needs to reassess their risk appetite imo.
Yeah, I'm with you, Botman. While my first thought was that I don't know how effective he'd be in the current game regardless of the shape he gets in, I would still take him in the squad at the right price. Like I would any player (who isn't a culture-killer).

@GreenMachine, I think the club would look pretty good not matching a huge offer for a big prop at exactly the time he'd exceeded his usefulness, only to re-sign him on the cheap as depth. Shows they are getting the most out of the market.

Also, Boyd will get his full salary wherever he goes, so if he chooses to come home, there's a chance it's to eke the most out of his ability and be part of a successful club. That can't hurt.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

-PJ- wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:10 pm He phoned it in big time after he signed the Tits deal.

Remember that period everybody ?

He deadset gave up.
We are still in that period. He has been on the missing person list every since the day the ink dried on that contract.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:Yep, I'd take Royce Hunt over shannon boyd too.
And really we're talking about guys getting dropped for people? Boyd can't even get on the bench at the titans. Image
Yep he's been **** rubbish since he signed there

All I can remember of him in the last season and a bit is him dropping the ball

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Happy to have Boyd at Mounties, we want to make sure our NSW cup sides makes the GF as well
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Peter wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:15 pm

Titans recruiting 101:

I'd forgotten about Leilani Latu. I never understood the hype when he was signed. Penrith fan's were certain he was going to be a big loss.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Advocating the signing of Boyd is a step back in the mentally we need as a club.

Let me ask you this question. Who would he actually challenge in our top 17 at the moment. If the answer is nobody, then I rest my case.

We need players challenging for spots.
Not squad fillers who can’t keep fit or a healthy playing weight or offer anything to the team.

Spots 18 to 25 need to be development players or players with potential to fit into our current system.

Not a 30kg overweight behemoth who has no ball playing skills, nor can defend the line with any level of consistency.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote: Let me ask you this question. Who would he actually challenge in our top 17 at the moment. If the answer is nobody, then I rest my case.
He’d get a run at centre at the moment
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Every team needs and have squad fillers that dont have any chance of challenging for a spot. We had a full handful of them coming into this year... guys like Collins, Luke Bateman, Matt Frawley and Tom Starling.

There is no getting around that. You need 30 guys, no one has 30 studs and no one has 10-12 kids with stacks of potential waiting for a shot... so you fill your squad out with guys who you hope you never ever have to use and if you are forced into using them, you're probably pretty ****.

So the question is, since every team has these plodders filling out their rosters, if you could get Boyd for 150k, would you rather spend 150k on a plodder like him who has at least played at high enough level to get himself an australian jumper and at least has SOME hope of being able to provide the team something because there is at least some underlying NRL talent there, or would you rather give that spot to JJ Collins who has NO chance of providing something to the team because he's simply never been an NRL calibre footballer?

If you would take Collins over Boyd at the same price, im glad you're no where near decision making for this club. That risk appetite is the "step back in mentality" you've been going on about.
Boyd has the same floor as any of these guys, that being a total zero... however his ceiling is something JJ Collins and his ilk could only dream of achieving.

Edit: not that i think this overly matters because as discussed earlier with GE, i cant see anyway the numbers work to move that contract, unless Boyd is actually willing to forgo SIGNIFICANT money, and why whould he? he's unlikely to ever sniff that kind of coin again.

But i do think this sort of stuff is always telling with posters in terms of how they approach squad building. Being conservative and not taking risks on high upside players in favour of low or no floor players is generally not a great way to win sporting compeititons.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

No thanks!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

We got great value out of D Taylor when the rest of the NRL gave up on him. If the dollars are smallish I'd be prepared to roll the dice. Ricky works miracles.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

magoo wrote: June 16, 2020, 10:50 pm We got great value out of D Taylor when the rest of the NRL gave up on him. If the dollars are smallish I'd be prepared to roll the dice. Ricky works miracles.
Can’t quite see how we did. 11 games, all but one on the bench. Didn’t make much impact.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

so this is what it feels like to have a player feel homesick and want to come to us!
Its normally the broncos who get to feel this!!

I'm not surprised this hasnt worked out, Country boy Shannon and the the Gold Coast with all its fakeness never really looked like a fit

Very very few players leave Canberra and find what they are looking for

Ask Brenko, Edrick struggled till he got to Newcastle, Milford has not set the world on fire
The jury is still very much out on Bj
Canberra is a special kind of club, country feel with just a sprinkling of cool.
The boys play golf together and go down the coast to the caravan park

Other teams aren't so close and can have very clicky groups
Vaccinated
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:
magoo wrote: June 16, 2020, 10:50 pm We got great value out of D Taylor when the rest of the NRL gave up on him. If the dollars are smallish I'd be prepared to roll the dice. Ricky works miracles.
Can’t quite see how we did. 11 games, all but one on the bench. Didn’t make much impact.
All I remember about Dave Taylor’s stint with us was the offload in golden point to win the game against the Dragons. So he did something right!
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
BJ
Steve Walters

Shannon Boyd reportedly wants to switch back to Canberra Raiders

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole reporting that Halo Boyd is extremely sick and his son Shannon Boyd needs to return home to Canberra to care for his sick father. Even though his Dad lives in Cowra.

He also has a doctors certificate from renowned Raiders Doctor H. N. A. B. L Ector confirming this. Who went to the same medical school as Broncos GP, Andrew Gee P.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

BJ wrote: June 16, 2020, 11:51 pm BJ Mole reporting that Halo Boyd is extremely sick and his son Shannon Boyd needs to return home to Canberra to care for his sick father. Even though his Dad lives in Cowra.

He also has a doctors certificate from renowned Raiders Doctor H. N. A. B. L Ector confirming this. Who went to the same medical school as Broncos GP, Andrew Gee P.
Halo’s miracle recovery from life threatening *insert body organ* problems still amuses me to this day.
As does the 1 million benjamins a season the broncos continue to pay for the king of mediocrity Milford AND team milford’s knock-down-rebuild home in Logan, paid for by the honest-as-sin Mr Gee.
Good times!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: June 16, 2020, 6:17 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Botman wrote: June 16, 2020, 2:03 pm Boy there is a lot to that he'd need to do
He'd have to strip off a ton of weight and probably near 70% pay cut, and probably not starting for us anytime soon, but if you could get him dirt cheap it might be worth kicking the tyres on for a 1-2 year deal
Yeah I just had a look at Zero Tackle to compare height and weight. At 6'4, he's not the tallest out there Zac Saddler and Nelson Asofa-Solomona come in at 6'7, but at 122kgs he's the 2nd heaviest behind Junior Paulo.

As a comparison, Zero Tackle say the weight of other Props at 6'4
Andrew Fifita - 118kg
Aaron Woods - 111kg
Reagan Campbell-Gillard - 115kg
Ryan James - 106kg
Paul Vaughan - 110kg
JWH - 108kg

Then looking at the tallest unit, Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 115kg
So he could lose 7 - 10kgs and be on par with other players his size.

If he's homesick, the paycut could be doable, especially when his form doesn't warrant what he's currently on. Im sure the Titans would be able to wear some of the contract as well. For me, if he could get to a similar playing weight as those I've mentioned, he could be worth a punt.
Watching Sundays game there is no way Andrew Fifita is under 120.

I agree. He looks terrible. Would have to be tipping 130.