2020 Rd 6 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 6 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Sea Eagles
Sunday June 21 4:05pm
Campbelltown Stadium
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Morning rain. Cloudy morning with some sunnier breaks this afternoon. Very high (near 100 per cent) chance of rain in the morning, easing to a medium (50 per cent) chance of showers in the afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm, with possible hail. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 20 km/h then shifting westerly in the late afternoon or early evening. Chance of any rain: 95 per cent. Possible rainfall: 4 to 8 mm Min 9 Max 17

It is getting to be a bit like Groundhog Day. The Canberra Raiders return to Campbelltown Stadium... this time for a Round 6 "home" clash with the Manly Sea Eagles.

Last week: 2020 Round 5. Canberra Raiders 14 - Wests Tigers 6. It was tough, brutal even. It was gritty and a bit ugly. But the Canberra Raiders were able to grind out a win over the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium in Ricky Stuart's 400th game as an NRL coach. He deserved the celebratory drink in the sheds after the game.

More on Round 5: As I saw it

Team news: Corey Horsburgh returns from illness at lock for the Raiders, with Sia Soliola moving to starting prop. Dunamis Lui has been dropped to the extended bench, along with Bailey Simonsson, while Hudson Young returns from a lengthy suspension on the interchange bench. Jordan Rapana has retained his place on the left wing.

For the Sea Eagles, Martin Taupau (dislocated thumb) and Moses Suli (finger) are out, with Brendan Elliott included at centre and Addin Fonua-Blake is back at starting prop. Curtis Sironen returns from injury in the second row in place of Corey Waddell. Former Raider Morgan Boyle as been included on the bench. The top 17 also includes former Raiders Joel Thompson and Lachlan Croker.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Dunamis Lui and Matt Frawley from the squad of 21 on Saturday afternoon with Bailey Simonsson and Tom Starling remaining on the extended bench. Toff Sipley and Cade Cust drop out of the Sea Eagles squad of 21.

History: The Raiders have won just 21 of 57 games against the Manly Sea Eagles, and drawn one. Since late 2004, the Raiders have won only six of 24 contests, and four of the past 10. If you add in matches against the Northern Eagles, the numbers are no better. Overall, Canberra has won 23 of 63 contests, a 37 per cent win rate.

The Raiders lost both matches in 2017 in golden point - 20-18 at Canberra Stadium and 21-20 at Brookvale. In 2018, Canberra lost the Round 4 match at Brookvale, 32-16, but finally got some payback in Round 12, with Aidan Sezer clinching a 21-20 victory with a final minute field goal. Last year, the Raiders lost in Round 7 to the Sea Eagles 24-20 at Brookvale - despite the fact the home team lost key playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans to injury for most of the second half. And the Sea Eagles backed that up with an 18-14 victory at Canberra Stadium in Round 23. The two teams have never previously met at Campbelltown Stadium.

2019 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2019 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2018 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2018 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Sea Eagles: LWWLW

The Raiders have posted a 4 and 1 start to 2020, while the Sea Eagles are 3 and 2. The Sea Eagles have lost to the Storm (18-4) and Eels (19-16), but have also defeated the 2019 premiers 9-8. They had a 20-18 comeback win over the Broncos last week, after trailing 18-0 at half time.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.56 favourites, while the Sea Eagles are paying $2.45. The Sea Eagles have 4.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: This is a battle between second (Raiders) and seventh (Sea Eagles) on the ladder. It is still early in the season, but we are starting to see some trends emerge in the statistics. The Raiders have the better attacking and defensive record of the two teams. But when you look a bit more closely, there is not a lot of difference between them.

The Raiders have scored 17 tries (equal sixth in the NRL), the Sea Eagles 14 (equal ninth). It is probably fair to say that the attack of both teams has yet to fully click. The attacking style of both teams is quite different. The Sea Eagles are second in the NRL (behind the Eels) for general play passes (107 per game), the Raiders are last (61). The Raiders are also last in the NRL for offloads, the Sea Eagles ninth. The Raiders are second in the competition for one pass hit ups (94 per game, behind the Knights), the Sea Eagles are 12th. The Raiders are third in the league for dummy half runs, the Sea Eagles are 14th.

This is why some opposition coaches have said that they "know what to expect" from the Raiders in attack. The Raiders play tight and kick long to set up attacking opportunities. The Raiders rank second in the league for kicking metres, and second for long kicks (behind the Knights). The Sea Eagles use the ball more and their forwards aim to get quick rucks, gain momentum and create space for their attacking maestros, Daly Cherry Evans and Tom Trbojevic.

The Raiders have conceded 10 tries (fourth lowest in the NRL), the Sea Eagles 11 (fifth). The Raiders' defensive numbers suffer due to the blow out loss to the Knights. They have only conceded one try and six points in their other four matches. However, the Raiders have struggled to contain the Sea Eagles attacking style in recent years. It could be more difficult under the new "six again" rules. Canberra will really need to do their best to slow the Sea Eagles' momentum and cut down the time for their play makers.

2020 Season record: Raiders 4 and 1 (2nd, 40+)
Sea Eagles 3 and 2 (7th, +12)

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 6th on tries scored
Sea Eagles 16 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 9th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 12 points and 2 tries conceded per match, ranked 4th
Sea Eagles 14 points and 2 tries conceded per match, ranked 5th

Possession: Raiders 50 per cent, Sea Eagles 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 77 per cent, Sea Eagles 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1679 running metres from 177 runs (14 dummy half runs), 164 kick return metres, 577 post contact metres per match
Sea Eagles 1657 running metres from 187 runs (8 dummy half runs), 168 kick return metres, 567 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 33, Sea Eagles 31

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Sea Eagles 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Sea Eagles 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Sea Eagles 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 6, Sea Eagles 10 per match

Kicking: Raiders 630 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Sea Eagles 537 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 338 made, 32 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Sea Eagles 309 made, 25 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1445, Sea Eagles 1508 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Sea Eagles 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Sea Eagles 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Tom Trbojevic. Trbojevic is now leading the Dally M count and is no doubt, one of the leading fullbacks in the competition. So far in 2020, he has three tries, three line breaks, six try assists, 12 tackle breaks and has averaged 161 running metres per game. After a break out season in 2019, Nicoll-Klokstad is finding the going a bit tougher this year. Opposition teams are targeting him with bombs, so as to allow the chasers to pressure his kick defusals and cut down his space for kick returns. He has looked less confident under the high ball in the past couple of weeks. But he still has fewer errors per game (one) than Trbojevic (two). He's also still producing lots of running metres. Maybe not as many as 2019, but he's still in the top four fullbacks on that score (190 per game, behind Tedesco, Tuivasa-Sheck and Gutherson). The area CNK still needs to develop is his ball playing. In 2020, he has one try, no try assists and 13 tackle breaks. If I were awarding a "skin", it'd have to go to Trbojevic.

George Williams and Daly Cherry Evans Daly Cherry Evans is in the mould of a traditional halfback, while George Williams is more a runner. But Williams still has some good organisational skills and a very good kicking game. In 2020, DCE has one try, one try assist, two line break assists, four forced line drop outs and 79 running metres and 425 kicking metres per game. Williams is yet to score an NRL try, but he has six try assists, one line break assist, three forced line drop outs and 77 running metres and 244 kicking metres per game. Williams has an effective tackle rate of 88 per cent in 2020, DCE 85 per cent. I'd say Williams' tackles have a lot more sting as well. After just five games in Australia, Williams compares pretty well to the Sea Eagles captain. It should be a great contest between the two on Sunday.

Addin Fonua-Blake and Josh Papalii These two props may not face each other directly, but they are the forward leaders of their respective teams. Fonua-Blake makes big metres. He is averaging 190 running metres per game, compared with 159 for Papalii. Fonua-Blake also has six tackle breaks in 2020, 421 post contact metres 27 tackles per game and a 94 per cent tackle efficiency rate. Papalii has a try, 18 tackle breaks, 303 post contact metres, 31 tackles per game and a 97 per cent tackle efficiency rate. His game is almost error free. Papalii is the best prop in the world, for mine, but Fonua-Blake sure is damaging. They'll have a huge impact on the outcome of this game.

Our tip: This match will be a lot closer than the odds suggest, even though the Sea Eagles have some injury problems. It is a danger game. The Raiders have often struggled to deal with the Sea Eagles' style of attack. They have a big mobile pack and strike in the spine, and the Raiders will have their hands full in trying to contain them. The Sea Eagles also bring out the niggle when they face Canberra... and it is a tactic that has worked in the past. The Green Machine will have to ignore the antics of players like Dylan Walker and Addin Fonua-Blake. On paper, the Raiders should be too strong, but games aren't played on paper. Canberra will have to improve on the last couple of weeks if they're to win. I think they can do it, but don't be surprised by an "upset". Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Ryan Sutton on competition for spots in the forward pack: "We're always pushing each other at training. The intensity at training really improves and it shows on the field. I understand competition is good within this team. I'm not taking any game for granted, I want to just keep getting better and better. It's a matter of just keeping it simple, not overcomplicating things. I've done it in the past when I have thought about it too much."

Jordan Rapana on his desire to nail down the left wing position: "I much prefer left side, I always played on the left growing up. I need to be starting for me, fitness wise. Slowly getting back to where it once was. I enjoy starting because you get the full 80 minutes and that match fitness back quicker."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Hudson Young

19. Bailey Simonsson
21. Tom Starling

Injury/Suspension

John Bateman, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Tevita Funa
3. Brad Parker
4. Brendan Elliot
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lachlan Croker
15. Jack Gosiewski
16. Sean Keppie
17. Morgan Boyle

19. Abbas Miski
20. Haumole Olakau'atu

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Todd Smith, Phil Henderson
Video referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersManly

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders[/color][/size][/b]
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 6 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

@NRLRaidersNews on Twitter

EARLY MAIL: Dunamis Lui and Matt Frawley drop out of Canberra Raiders squad to face Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday. Latest squads, weather and more: http://ow.ly/QCxf50Ad7C5

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #NRLRaidersManly
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day you statue haters!!!!
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Come on raiders perfect tipping round so far don't let me down randomly 52 of 156293 in nrl tipping won't last but give me one more win.. all I really care about is our boys winning

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

irvste
Sam Backo

Post by irvste »

1992 wrote:Game day you statue haters!!!!
I love the statues.. Wait what statues why do we hate them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, this is a game that we almost have to win now in terms of confidence, premiership credibility and obviously points against an under strength bogey team
CMON RAIDERS!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Plenty of rain around Sydney this morning. Campbelltown should be an absolute soup bowl by kick off.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:21 am Plenty of rain around Sydney this morning. Campbelltown should be an absolute soup bowl by kick off.
We had 35 mm of rain overnight, Campbelltown had 11 mm yesterday.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:34 am
Azza wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:21 am Plenty of rain around Sydney this morning. Campbelltown should be an absolute soup bowl by kick off.
What's your point Stephen the weather man? I'm here now, it's pretty heavy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:38 am
I’m saying it rained a lot here and it’s rained a fair bit there. Our weather often heads north east.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:45 am
I’m saying it rained a lot here and it’s rained a fair bit there. Our weather often heads north east.
I'm worried my old friend :-(
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We have the better backrow, hooker and bench. Rest of the teams shake out fairly even.

We've played on this field a few times at least. Rain may not help the Manly offload game but I always feel it makes Turbo more dangerous chasing in kicks. Our Poms know what to do in the wet. Raiders by 8.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2020, 9:17 am We have the better backrow, hooker and bench. Rest of the teams shake out fairly even.

We've played on this field a few times at least. Rain may not help the Manly offload game but I always feel it makes Turbo more dangerous chasing in kicks. Our Poms know what to do in the wet. Raiders by 8.
They have us covered at fullback.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Dce and Tommy Turbo normally carve us up....Let's hope this won't be like the Newcastle game. Up the Raiders!
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Huge downpour this morning. I hate Manly even more than Eels fans. Please win.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2020, 9:25 am
BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2020, 9:17 am We have the better backrow, hooker and bench. Rest of the teams shake out fairly even.

They do but with Suli and Taufua our we should have a distinct advantage in the three quarter line.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Game day! Our last "home" game away - let's get it!

We just gotta not let Manly get under our skin, and we can win this.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

julian87 wrote:

They do but with Suli and Taufua our we should have a distinct advantage in the three quarter line.

I hope we look to attack the newbie they have on the wing with our kicking game.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah, but I just factored the back 5s and back 3s as fairly even overall.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hailing now in Canberra.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2020, 1:37 pm Hailing now in Canberra.
Absolutely glorious sunshine here in Sydney.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson

Post by Green thumbs »

Luckily we are not playing in Canberra. Hopefully Campbelltown is a tad drier. We really need to win this for so many reasons - renew Our confidence, deflate Manly’s, and come over well on TV game to show people we are a force to be reckoned with. It’s going to be a quagmire out there!!
Go Raiders!! 💚💚💚
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

The weather here in Ctown is fine now. perfect conditions atm.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2020, 1:37 pm Hailing now in Canberra.
This would have been a miserable game to attend here today. But still I would have gone.

Raiders were posting pictures of the cutouts earlier, many of them looked like they'd been recently rained on.

Very worried about the surface.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Azza wrote: June 21, 2020, 9:05 am
greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:45 am
I'm worried my old friend :-(
Thats not like you buddy
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Cracking afternoon in the Macarthur area. Ground will be soft under foot but relatively dry on the surface
Dont delete this GE
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of this afternoon's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Manly Sea Eagles at Campbelltown Stadium. The Canberra Raiders are 1-17, but there are some changes for the Sea Eagles. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Hudson Young

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Tevita Funa
3. Brad Parker
4. Brendan Elliot
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
16. Sean Keppie
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lachlan Croker
15. Jack Gosiewski
10. Taniela Paseka
17. Morgan Boyle
The Greenhouse score update service
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Manly often has the wood on the Raiders so a win is important for morale going forward. Will be close and depend on how we handle Turbo Tom and DCE.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Watch Manly play their best game of 2020.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders in a circle in the sheds, and Josh Hodgson having plenty to say. Manly first onto the field, led by Daly Cherry-Evans. Now here comes a virtual Viking Clap, Shaun Fensom launches it by blowing the horn. Now the Raiders are out on the field!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Canberra Raiders kick off, we are underway!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Solid defence from Canberra in the first set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk