Curtis Scott and our best backline

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Curtis Scott and our best backline

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:41 pm I deleted my previous post because i'm not really interested in doing that, i'm interested in having discussions like the ones you and i had amiafish... but it's been had now, agree to disagree and any other comments i have here will result in nothing but petty Bull, which i am actively trying to avoid this season (i've had a solid 12 year career of it here, so i reckon im owed some LSL).

So i'll leave you guys to it.
I like the new Botman.

The footy discussion on the board lately, more generally, has been really pretty good.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

amiafish wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:49 pm Contrarians EDIT...whether it's in pubs or on fan forums.
Good grief. What a lame thing to say...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

hrundi89 wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:35 pm
amiafish wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:49 pm Contrarians EDIT...whether it's in pubs or on fan forums.
Good grief. What a lame thing to say...
Careful now. Have you made sure that reply was ok before you made it? Might be contrarian.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

amiafish wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:15 pm If you don't feel attacked, then how do explain characterising me as having my "panties" in a twist? Is that just how you talk normally? It's 2020... you can insult me without implying that I'm female, and hysterical...I'm sure you can.

It just seems to me you're very upset at the idea that i think Curtis Scott has played NRL footy at a high level and i believe he's has shown real NRL talent. :lol:
That's the only thing i've pushed back on. I've never once defended his level of play at the Raiders and have mostly agree with you guys about his play this year. But you just cant move past the first bit. Its a very bizarre.

This argument wouldn't be in the worse 500 arguments I've had on this site... i'm sure any number of posters would attest to that! :lol:

Frankly, i've enjoy this because its actually been pretty cordial, especially compared to 99% of my arguments here.
The only time i've taken anything said here so seriously that i felt any way about it was when an overtly racist and homophobic administrator was allowed to retain his position in a site i played a large role in creating. This kind of thing? Na, if i felt attacked by this level of discourse, i'd sent myself insane many, many, many GH arguments ago!

I do take your point and accept that criticism on the use of that idiom, I confess it's something i use quite flippantly when talking **** with people, and had never taken the time think about the fact it is rooted in some level of sexism, so i sincerely appreciate you highlighting that.
But that'll be my last post on this.

I've had my say about where i think Scott is struggling right now, what course of action we should take now and into the future, and i've spoken to what i believe at his best he could be. And im perfectly ok if every, some or no one agrees with me on those points.
Last edited by Botman on June 30, 2020, 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:30 pm
Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:41 pm I deleted my previous post because i'm not really interested in doing that, i'm interested in having discussions like the ones you and i had amiafish... but it's been had now, agree to disagree and any other comments i have here will result in nothing but petty Bull, which i am actively trying to avoid this season (i've had a solid 12 year career of it here, so i reckon im owed some LSL).

So i'll leave you guys to it.
I like the new Botman.

The footy discussion on the board lately, more generally, has been really pretty good.
Im trying mate!
I made a promise to myself to do the "agree to disagree" thing more this year... i think it's going alright so far!
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 3:43 pm It just seems to me you're very upset at the idea that i think Curtis Scott has played NRL footy at a high level and i believe he's has shown real NRL talent. :lol:
That's the only thing i've pushed back on. I've never once defended his level of play at the Raiders and have mostly agree with you guys about his play this year. But you just cant move past the first bit. Its a very bizarre.
Don't know where you got the impression that I was upset about your opinion on Scott's pre-Raiders ability. As I acknowledged at the outset, I never followed Scott before he came here. The only tangible evidence I've got of his pre-Raiders game was the 100m try you posted as proof of his prowess. As I've pointed out, the try doesn't show anything that an outside back should be particularly proud of...in fact, it goes within a whisker of being a horribly butchered try. No speed, no football judgement in evidence there...and no extra size that he's since lost. But if you say that you've seen him play "high level" NRL football, I'll have to take your word for it...I'm not in a position to dispute it.

So, no tender feelings here about pre-Raiders Scott.

Raiders Scott, however, has royally got my goat. And he's played a part in costing us at least 4 competition points. Of course you can argue about how large a part of those he's responsible for, and whether the outcome would have different were he not playing. But, since you defended him holding his position these last couple of weeks, and since he has failed to perform these last couple of weeks, I think you are remarkably Dunning-Kruger about calling out people on a technicality about why he dropped a straight-forward ball.