Curtis Scott and our best backline

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Curtis Scott and our best backline

Post by yeh raiders »

sprintman wrote: June 23, 2020, 9:01 pm Bellamy got us a beauty with Scott. He’s probably still laughing...
His centre stocks are not much better.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I'd take brenko over Scott based on form currently
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

yeh raiders wrote: June 24, 2020, 7:51 pm
sprintman wrote: June 23, 2020, 9:01 pm Bellamy got us a beauty with Scott. He’s probably still laughing...
That’s the thing though. You could just about guarantee that Lee, Seve and Olam are all on minimum wage. If there was ever a system that would turn around Brenko’s career it’s Melbourne. That team has made mediocre centres and second rowers look like brilliant attacking players for years.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: June 25, 2020, 6:26 am
yeh raiders wrote: June 24, 2020, 7:51 pm
That’s the thing though. You could just about guarantee that Lee, Seve and Olam are all on minimum wage. If there was ever a system that would turn around Brenko’s career it’s Melbourne. That team has made mediocre centres and second rowers look like brilliant attacking players for years.
Yeah fair point.

Though I think it’s a stretch to say any of their mediocre centres have ever looked like brilliant attacking players. Cheyse Blair springs to mind. He was hopelessly outplayed when it came to the business end of the season.

Olam, Seve and Lee are yet to do anything brilliant. While the #1 and #7 positions are what have cost Melbourne their strongest possible start to the season, their centres are obvious weaknesses and deserve a lot of traffic thrown their way.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Centres don't win games anymore. I remember when they were one of the most important positions on the field. Now they're just a second pair of second rower. Generally speaking of course.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Scott had his best game in terms of errors and try causes. He was still a 2/10.

Honestly he's worse than Brett Kelly. At least Kelly had some aggression.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

If we lose Bateman and/or Cotric, plus Leilua to sign Scott... **** me this club.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Can we sell him to Wigan?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Scott is slow and cannot make even one break. But Ricky will persist.

To be fair, Rapana was @#$% - cannot catch a cold and old and slow
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Our best backline is

Cotric - Croker - Leilua - Rapana

But some wise folks on here and in the Raiders boardroom determined that Scott was better than BJ, and managed to make themselves look foolish and destroyed our season prospects.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I've seen enough now. Cotric to right centre, Simonnson to left wing.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

How bad is Scott? He looks like a park footballer out there. His defense is meh and offers NOTHING in attack. NOTHING.

NOTHING!

Is it because he’s good looking? Is it because he’s an ex Melbourne player and apparently all Melbourne players are good at football? Is he still suffering the affects of being tasered?

Please explain.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Hes clearly not up to first grand standard :thumbsdown
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

He just stands flat not knowing what to do when he gets the ball

Cannot break a tackle or create a try.

@#$% player. Ricky must like tatoos though. But he ain't tough though although tries to portray that - watch his girly grab on Lane close to full time.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Honestly Oldfield is streets ahead of Scott.
Scott should be the squad filler

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I hope we kept the packaging.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:He just stands flat not knowing what to do when he gets the ball

@#$% player. Ricky must like tatoos though. But he ain't tough though although tries to portray that - watch his girly grab on Lane close to full time.
That grab on Lane concerned me more than plenty of other things people have been complaining about.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:34 pm Honestly Oldfield is streets ahead of Scott.

My thoughts too. Oldy has the odd drop ball and bad defensive error but we know he's fast, dangerous in attack and can find the tryline. With Scott I'm only seeing those bad parts without the silver lining.

I was initially patient because Scott was finding his feet in a new team. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any upside with him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote: June 28, 2020, 9:29 am
Brew wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:34 pm Honestly Oldfield is streets ahead of Scott.

My thoughts too. Oldy has the odd drop ball and bad defensive error but we know he's fast, dangerous in attack and can find the tryline. With Scott I'm only seeing those bad parts without the silver lining.

I was initially patient because Scott was finding his feet in a new team. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any upside with him.
That's the concern right. As Botman mentioned he didn't have an especially error prone match yesterday, and yet he still exerted precisely zero positives in contributions to our performance. If only he was as tough and rugged as his tatts are.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

He is a bust.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

A high performing team wouldn't cop his performances. We will though. Brace yourself for full season of C Scott. Just have to hope he improves
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Let’s be honest, Scott has been a bust so far this season. Make no mistake.

But don’t kid yourself into believing this is the reason for our poor season so far.

Ricky needs to address the right centre issue among a plethora of other issues within the team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:19 pm He just stands flat not knowing what to do when he gets the ball

It's killing me and our backline... when has he ever hit the ball at pace, executed a passing movement while on the run, chosen the right time to pass (after drawing instead of just shovelling on too early)?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: June 28, 2020, 8:51 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:He just stands flat not knowing what to do when he gets the ball

That grab on Lane concerned me more than plenty of other things people have been complaining about.
Ricky seemed willing to cop the dropped balls as part of trying too hard.

But 5 missed tackles + 2 ineffective tackles including the Lane sham will surely attract Ricky's attention. He wants to be defence first oriented well do something about it.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Cause for concern? The proof that Raiders recruit Curtis Scott’s ‘horror’ form is hurting his side

Curtis Scott was again under the microscope as Canberra slumped to back to back defeats, with league great Greg Alexander left shocked by the off-season recruit’s dismal form.

Scott, 22, was signed from the Melbourne Storm to replace Raiders fan favourite Joey Leilua and was supposed to be a consistent, reliable performer. But so far things haven’t gone to plan.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 951c275655

This summarises his failings. What I'm concerned about is expert analysts like Cronk are pointing out the right edge being a problem, but Ricky saying there's no cause for concern - again stubbornly denying there's an issue much like 2017 until it was too late. It's unfair for Scott anyway if he continues to play and gets bathed every time. Remember he spent a large amount of time in reserve grade last year as well and Melbourne's centres aren't that flash.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

This article will drive Stuart more to retain Scott at centre
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

rayden83 wrote:Our best backline is

Cotric - Croker - Leilua - Rapana

But some wise folks on here and in the Raiders boardroom determined that Scott was better than BJ, and managed to make themselves look foolish and destroyed our season prospects.
The 'wise folks on here' have absolutely no influence on how the club operates, who they recruit and how they play on a week to week basis.

Do people really hold this view? If you go back to the BJ thread the majority of posters were actually disappointed with the decision and how it played out.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I said this in another thread. BJ vs Scott is a false dichotomy. There is a whole lot of other players out there that could be recruited to play centre at the Raiders. Just because Scott is the wrong answer (or at least appears that way to my novice eyes), does not mean that holding onto BJ was the right idea.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

rayden83 wrote: June 27, 2020, 10:06 pm How bad is Scott? He looks like a park footballer out there. His defense is meh and offers NOTHING in attack. NOTHING.

NOTHING!

Is it because he’s good looking? Is it because he’s an ex Melbourne player and apparently all Melbourne players are good at football? Is he still suffering the affects of being tasered?

Please explain.
Fire up!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

gangrenous wrote: June 28, 2020, 12:49 pm I said this in another thread. BJ vs Scott is a false dichotomy. There is a whole lot of other players out there that could be recruited to play centre at the Raiders. Just because Scott is the wrong answer (or at least appears that way to my novice eyes), does not mean that holding onto BJ was the right idea.
Agreed. When you think about the options at the time, we could have approached Cronulla to release Josh Morris. Moses Suli had not resigned for Manly (and he is a like for like replacement the closest you can get). Paul Momirovski could have been an option. According to wiki, Scott signed a contract to join Canberra until the end of the 2023 season. Scott was released by Melbourne despite having two years remaining on his contract (Bellamy is smart) - so we may have to put up with this nonsense for another 3 years unless he is found guilty of the January allegations. We could go with Wigan's Oliver Gildart
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I was keen on Morris at the time and got absolutely slammed on that. He would have fit perfectly, nothing special but would have been solid and reliable which is what you need to mount a premiership challenge
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Maybe if we release Bateman from the last year of his contract for a return to Wigan, they can take Scott to sweeten the deal??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think the '50% of try causes' is my favourite stat, but there are plenty of others to choose from: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 951c275655

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

LastRaider wrote: June 28, 2020, 11:58 am This article will drive Stuart more to retain Scott at centre
Just so he can shove it in our faces
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Finchy wrote:
LastRaider wrote: June 28, 2020, 11:58 am This article will drive Stuart more to retain Scott at centre
Just so he can shove it in our faces
You got it! He is happy to kill a season on that basis