16%
Sea Eagles 13+
11%

Total votes: 19

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 6 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote: In saying that, I absolutely am tipping manly this weekend, unless we improve considerably in attack.
If that’s how this thing works then I’m tipping Manly unless Raiders win.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders forwards Ryan Sutton and Emre Guler, as the Green Machine confirms they want to return to Canberra Stadium for their Round 8 home clash with the Dragons. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/lHmM50A8Rcr

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Good side. Stuart knows he needs a lift in intensity from the dross of the last few weeks.

Hudson and Sutton bringing some new energy and a sense of momentum.

Tapau and Suli big outs for Manly

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Feel bad for Lui. He didn't really do anything wrong last week and came up with that big hit to force an error at a critical time. He's pretty reliable in defence too.

Not carrying a back on the bench is a risk for a different reason - I assume Sticky is confident that if Croker can't play at the last minute we would get permission from the NRL to sub Bailey in.

But the all-forward bench really does indicate that Stick is expecting a physical battle I think.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Aren't they allowed to carry 3 reserves into GameDay this year?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:38 pm Aren't they allowed to carry 3 reserves into GameDay this year?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
You still have to select 19 a day before and 17 an hour before (from the 19). You can take 20 to the game. But those “extra three” only can come into play if players are ruled out (eg if they fail the entry tests, or there’s some other mishap).
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Anyone think Guler should be starting prop?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:54 pm Anyone think Guler should be starting prop?
There’s certainly a case in favour of it. Or Horsburgh, with Sutton at lock. We have the best middles in the 17 now though, and they can be mixed up as required.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I still think Guler is great off the bench and it will help his long term development.

Ready for him to be a starter late this season or from next season.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We will need to be better than the eagles if we want to win this one
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Been hanging out with Mickey_Raider hey simo?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

gangrenous wrote: June 16, 2020, 9:41 pm Been hanging out with Mickey_Raider hey simo?
Inspiration is everywhere
Dont delete this GE
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

simo wrote: June 16, 2020, 9:48 pm
gangrenous wrote: June 16, 2020, 9:41 pm Been hanging out with Mickey_Raider hey simo?
Excuse me, my tip wasn't a binary equation. It is perfectly logical to claim that we could, for example, moderately improve but still get done by Manly due to a stuttering attack.

I think we need to turn it up multiple notches in attack to win. Not sure we will do it this week, hence my Manly tip.
Up The Milk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Rain predicted on and off all week around Campbelltown and not much sun
Should make for a great field by 4pm Sunday and 2 other games not!
Vaccinated
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Is there a chance Hudson starts on an edge? Tapine lock Horse bench? Would make sense. I'm not sure where Young would play when he comes on if he starts off the bench, both Tapine and Whitehead being 80 min backrowers.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2020 Rd 6 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Excuse me, my tip wasn't a binary equation. It is perfectly logical to claim that we could, for example, moderately improve but still get done by Manly due to a stuttering attack.

I think we need to turn it up multiple notches in attack to win. Not sure we will do it this week, hence my Manly tip.
Tips don’t have to be a binary equation to be deserving of criticism Image

To me your tip sounds like “I tip the mystery person in the box is a woman, unless they have hairy legs”. Now that’s not binary, there are women with hairy legs. But I’ve covered so much of the population that my tip is not really brave.

Ultimately I get your point that you think improving attack is critical for the win, but the way you phrased it sounded funny and so I was poking you for a bit of fun. Now we’ve over-analysed this to the point where nothing either of us said is funny Image
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm a big fan of the 17 named. Stuart decided on an outside back over Havili last season and it was probably the right call in the end given some of the work that Simonsson put in when he was forced onto the field. Havili has shown that he's worth his spot now though and given the change in structure of the game at the moment you just have to have a second dummy half option in case things go awry. I believe Bateman was the cover last season so while he is out Havili has to be there.

I subscribe to the thought that 4 forwards on the bench is generally not needed but with Havili essentially being the back up 9 and should be the halves cover as well (with Hodgson shifting) I think this works. Young being there means him or Whitehead should be able to cover a back 5 injury well enough in game for the team to get away with. The 4 forward bench should work for these reasons IMO. It should also work because there's a point of difference in almost every forward on the bench. Hors is your Klemmer like enforcer, Guler is your young modern day prototype middle forward, Young is your energy and speed of foot and Havili is a real ace in the pocket given his body shape, style of play, durability, ballwork and utility. It enables Stuart to be a bit more flexible with what injection is needed from the bench given the unpredictability of the momentum swings in the game as it stands. His unwillingness to inject Rapana when we were chasing points against Newcastle suggests this is the best set up currently for the team and how he can try and swing momentum with mid game interchanges IMO.

I've still got plenty of faith in Simonsson. I rate him more than most and I reckon he's one breakout game away from being filled with confidence in all facets including metres from our own end. It's just a pity for blokes like him, Smith Shields, Timoko and our back up halves in particular to not have reserve grade to really be stating their case that they're ready for a crack when it arises. All teams are in the same boat though so that's out of our control.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 17, 2020, 6:43 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Tips don’t have to be a binary equation to be deserving of criticism Image

To me your tip sounds like “I tip the mystery person in the box is a woman, unless they have hairy legs”. Now that’s not binary, there are women with hairy legs. But I’ve covered so much of the population that my tip is not really brave.

Ultimately I get your point that you think improving attack is critical for the win, but the way you phrased it sounded funny and so I was poking you for a bit of fun. Now we’ve over-analysed this to the point where nothing either of us said is funny Image
I'm glad we got to the bottom of this one.

In other news, I can't believe we are $1.50 odd favourites. We really are dining out on reputation at the moment.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Kimmorley calls on Raiders to get George Williams back on front foot: Brett Kimmorley and Robbie Farah discuss what George Williams needs to do to get back to the form that helped the Raiders see off the Storm in Melbourne in Round 3: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/17/kim ... ront-foot/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Sea Eagles: Young available; key Manly duo in doubt: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34073

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/15/rai ... -in-doubt/
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2020, 11:20 am VIDEO: Kimmorley calls on Raiders to get George Williams back on front foot: Brett Kimmorley and Robbie Farah discuss what George Williams needs to do to get back to the form that helped the Raiders see off the Storm in Melbourne in Round 3: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/17/kim ... ront-foot/
He needs Hodgo to give him the ball early and not faff about with it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2020, 11:20 am VIDEO: Kimmorley calls on Raiders to get George Williams back on front foot: Brett Kimmorley and Robbie Farah discuss what George Williams needs to do to get back to the form that helped the Raiders see off the Storm in Melbourne in Round 3: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/17/kim ... ront-foot/
He was our best player against the Knights, and looked dangerous all game against the tigers and set up a try.
His long kicking game had some issues against the tigers, but the same was true for Wighton and Hodgson, we had a lot of last tackle kicks deep in our half, and at that point kickers generally just try to hoof it as far as they can and arent as worried about ball placement

All of this to say, i cant say i've felt George Williams form has dropped off at all, and i think he's still on the "front foot" so i dont really know what Kimmorley and Farah are **** talking about, and i suspect they dont know either
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2020, 11:55 am
He was our best player against the Knights, and looked dangerous all game against the tigers and set up a try.
His long kicking game had some issues against the tigers, but the same was true for Wighton and Hodgson, we had a lot of last tackle kicks deep in our half, and at that point kickers generally just try to hoof it as far as they can and arent as worried about ball placement

All of this to say, i cant say i've felt George Williams form has dropped off at all, and i think he's still on the "front foot" so i dont really know what Kimmorley and Farah are **** talking about, and i suspect they dont know either
I think they are picking on our forwards, not GWill. They want us with momentum so George can go to work. Poorly explained though.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's nothing to do with Williams. If anything he has been the least of our problems aye.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

hrundi89 wrote: June 17, 2020, 11:49 am
Yeah there was a few times in the tigers game where he almost created knocks-ons and forward passes with his forwards because of over playing it. We looked a lot better once he gave them certainty.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: June 17, 2020, 8:30 am I'm a big fan of the 17 named. Stuart decided on an outside back over Havili last season and it was probably the right call in the end given some of the work that Simonsson put in when he was forced onto the field. Havili has shown that he's worth his spot now though and given the change in structure of the game at the moment you just have to have a second dummy half option in case things go awry. I believe Bateman was the cover last season so while he is out Havili has to be there.

I subscribe to the thought that 4 forwards on the bench is generally not needed but with Havili essentially being the back up 9 and should be the halves cover as well (with Hodgson shifting) I think this works. Young being there means him or Whitehead should be able to cover a back 5 injury well enough in game for the team to get away with. The 4 forward bench should work for these reasons IMO. It should also work because there's a point of difference in almost every forward on the bench. Hors is your Klemmer like enforcer, Guler is your young modern day prototype middle forward, Young is your energy and speed of foot and Havili is a real ace in the pocket given his body shape, style of play, durability, ballwork and utility. It enables Stuart to be a bit more flexible with what injection is needed from the bench given the unpredictability of the momentum swings in the game as it stands. His unwillingness to inject Rapana when we were chasing points against Newcastle suggests this is the best set up currently for the team and how he can try and swing momentum with mid game interchanges IMO.

I've still got plenty of faith in Simonsson. I rate him more than most and I reckon he's one breakout game away from being filled with confidence in all facets including metres from our own end. It's just a pity for blokes like him, Smith Shields, Timoko and our back up halves in particular to not have reserve grade to really be stating their case that they're ready for a crack when it arises. All teams are in the same boat though so that's out of our control.
I really agree with this. However, given how often we have needed a back in the last 18 months due to HIA or injury, Im not sold on no back. I also worry about the Havili to 9 deal, and Hodgo to halves, coz we had that option against the Knights and Havili stayed at lock/prop and Hogdo at hooker with Rapa to the edge. Rapa had play the floating middle role, so that between him and Havili they would have covered the hooker role.

However, I think Simmo is getting a bit of 'scapegoat-ism' with Rapana back. I dont think he has been that bad, but people were calling for his head immediately which isnt fair.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

hrundi89 wrote:
100% Hodgson was frustrating to watch last week

Pass off the deck Josh
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Damoni wrote: June 17, 2020, 12:40 pm
hrundi89 wrote:
100% Hodgson was frustrating to watch last week

Pass off the deck Josh
Why does everyone else see this and
Not the guy who matters? Sticky!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

It has been like this for years.

I think the biggest question mark is curtis scott, you simply cannot be as non damaging as he is and dropping balls / making defensive errors.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Elliott Whitehead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... hitehead2/

PODCAST: Canberra Times sport: Who will get to attend Raiders games? The Canberra Raiders are yet to decide how they will allocate tickets to matches as they prepare to return to Canberra Stadium. The Raiders, ACT government and health officials are speaking daily about crowd limitations for the reopening of the venue at the start of July. The Raiders are likely to use their ticket allocation for Campbelltown for corporate partners for their game against Manly on Sunday, which is hoped will be their last "home" game in Sydney. Click here: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Rotation is needed with no lower grade. Lui should come back hungrier to prove a point. We have great depth.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

1992 wrote: June 17, 2020, 5:42 pm Rotation is needed with no lower grade. Lui should come back hungrier to prove a point. We have great depth.
Hungrier and fresh. All bar papali should be involved in this rotation. Papali gets better the more he plays.
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LastRaider wrote: June 16, 2020, 8:54 pm Anyone think Guler should be starting prop?
I think starting v not starting (as a forward) is completely over rated By the entire rugby league community. I’m sure he’d be great starting but I don’t think it’s necessarily an essential move.

I like him on the bench in this game. Hors on to start against Fonua Blake and Guler to come on and use his skill set against some more inexperience.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: June 17, 2020, 7:09 pm
I think starting v not starting (as a forward) is completely over rated By the entire rugby league community. I’m sure he’d be great starting but I don’t think it’s necessarily an essential move.

I like him on the bench in this game. Hors on to start against Fonua Blake and Guler to come on and use his skill set against some more inexperience.
I agree with you position that starting vs bench for forwards is a total zero burger. Minutes matter, who is on the paddock when the game is tight and you need stops and impact matter, not who starts.

And i do agree with the idea of Guler being off the bench for this game has a lot of merrit. What i will say is i think he compliments Papalii really well and i think having him and Papalii and Sia and Hors as a rough middle rotation tickles my fancy in the right way
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I like the idea of the bench having a lot of punch. A couple of years ago there were just too many times the starting forwards would come off and things would stall. Guler and Sutton really packed a punch on Saturday and livened things up, and kept us rolling.

Man, I love how good Guler has gotten and how much he continues to improve.

And since Rory Croker decided to debut (very considerately) yesterday, contingency plans to cover the skipper may not be required.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)