7%
Tigers 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2020 Rd 5 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Unlike some, I was really impressed with the forwards tonight. Tigers turned up to play and successfully slowed down the ruck making it hard to get on a roll.

Hodgson’s service wasn’t great today but I thought the forwards kept putting in. Guler was particularly outstanding.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Greenhouse wrote:66th min Bailey Simonsson loses the ball in the ruck... Tigers attack in the red zone again. Good work from Lui on Grant forces a Tigers' error.
Danaman137 wrote:
Sid wrote:Raiders have looked the better team

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
What game are you watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
《Passively aggressively taps on the final score board》

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

With Reynolds, Packer and BJ in their side we always knew this was going to be a niggly tough hard match and so it proved. The good news for us was that we came away battered but with the 2 competition points. Our first half was too low tempo. The service from dummy half was pedestrian and that picked up in the second half. It is no bad thing to be in an arm wrestle and to come away with the points. So many players with head knocks but they stuck at it in the defensive grind and that was pleasing to me. They earned the win.

An 8 day turnaround before we play Manly. Given the knocks we had the medicos will make full use of the 'extra' day of recovery time.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

BJ wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:41 pm Unlike some, I was really impressed with the forwards tonight. Tigers turned up to play and successfully slowed down the ruck making it hard to get on a roll.

Hodgson’s service wasn’t great today but I thought the forwards kept putting in. Guler was particularly outstanding.
We were much better in the second half up front.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Our attack hasn't clicked yet. Cotric has to be centre instead of Scott. Gotta be much better in attack to beat manly..
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Just checked the stats.

Papa, Soliola and Lui each with just one missed tackle.

Starting pack with only one error for the game.

Then the bench really added some leg speed and up tempo.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manly are paying $2.35 for next week. I'd be loading up on them after tonight's performance.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

4 of our next 5 games are bloody tough!

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Is there any chance we could play in Canberra next week?

Aaah crap, were on Channel 9 next week.
I hate the 4pm Sunday time slot.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sid wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:51 pm 4 of our next 5 games are bloody tough!

Yeah, we don't improve quickly we will be in trouble.

Pretty sure we will though
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Sutton, Guler and Havili were impressive tonight. Surely Lui is under pressure to keep his spot with Horsburgh and Young back?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GreenMachine wrote:Is there any chance we could play in Canberra next week?

Aaah crap, were on Channel 9 next week.
I hate the 4pm Sunday time slot.
Not a chance. Ennis said the club were hoping for the dragons game to be in Canberra
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders edge Wests Tigers in Ricky Stuart's 400th NRL game

Talk about winning ugly, but Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart wouldn't have cared less. The Raiders marking his 400th game as an NRL coach with a dour 14-6 victory over Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night that moved them to second on the ladder.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 14 (Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric tries; Jarrod Croker 3 goals) bt WESTS TIGERS 6 (Luke Brooks try; Moses Mbye goal) at Campbelltown Stadium. Referee: Chris Sutton.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

Patient Canberra Raiders have evolved with experience

Patience and experience. One was the key to the win. The other the key to Jordan Rapana's return to the starting line-up.

"A lot of that was spoken about at half-time. That it was really important we stay to the task, stay to the plan that we were working on all week and not going away from it," Stuart said. "If things weren't working for us not to get impatient and try and do it on your own."

NRL rivals Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers take a knee for Black Lives Matter movement

The moment lasts only seconds but it leaves a lasting imprint in the minds of those who witness it. The Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers joined forces and took a knee following their NRL clash at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night.

Wighton leads Raiders through the eye of a storm to grind out victory against Tigers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9a80b58f9e

How Wighton overcame his ‘biggest fear’ to become a ‘world-class five-eighth’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 38f0ae80b1

This is how you do it, lads! Ricky celebrates 400th game the only way he knows how: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8174f08bc1

MATCH REPORT: Raiders grind out win over plucky Tigers in Stuart's 400th: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/13/rai ... ky-tigers/

Raiders triumph in Ricky's 400th: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... kys-400th/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/13/mat ... v-raiders/

TEAM SONG: Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... -v-tigers/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Ricky Stuart: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... nce!776329

Michael Maguire: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... nce!776331

CASUALTY WARD: Raiders sweat on Wighton: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cbbe972db4
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:Manly are paying $2.35 for next week. I'd be loading up on them after tonight's performance.
Suli and Tapau are out, which helps.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That second half was so much better than the first. They controlled the game well towards the end much better than against the Storm. Which is important because that was a brutal game with a lot of injuries.

I think we got very lucky in a couple of important calls. The Tapine dropped ball and the Packer sin bin (right call) off the back of a strip call (looked like the wrong call). I think Tapine has a real issue with drops like that in the play the ball.

Great to start 4 out of 5 while not playing the best. Next 5 weeks is bloody hard. If Raiders can get 3/5 that’ll be a good outcome I think.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: June 13, 2020, 10:26 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Manly are paying $2.35 for next week. I'd be loading up on them after tonight's performance.
Suli and Tapau are out, which helps.
That is huge. Suli would be licking his lips at getting in between Williams and Scott. Turbo would have Scott coming in when he didn't need to very early on. With the threat of Suli out that should be much less of an issue.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

1992 wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:34 pm
raiderskater wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:31 pm
1992 wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:29 pm The players taking a knee..

Bye.
Bye! Tell the 1950s we said hi when you arrive!

If staying around would make you communists mad...
Guys can we leave the insults out please
We all are entitled to our opinions and should not be critised for having one
Vaccinated
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

CNK made it hard for us tonight. Has zero confidence under the high ball, isn't attacking the ball on kick returns... just surrendering. That was costing us 10 or 20 metres at the beginning of every set and allowing the Tigers defense to box us in. Made Rapana's job of first hit-up a nightmare all night. Hopefully Ricky and the boys can pump him up a bit... when he's on the front foot, he's a terrific player.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I think we have to take into account the trip up on game day and doing it every week

I think that's why we have had slow starts. I know I feel pretty sluggish after a long bus ride
I'm sure the coaching staff are working on solutions but it will be a challenge.

The quicker we can get home and be allowed to stay the night before the better.

The other concern is the field and risk of injury
The field looked pretty trashed and chopped up after our game, another game on there tomorrow

We will be the 3rd game that weekend next round
Vaccinated
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Defensive intensity. That's all I was I was looking for tonight. And we got it. Bit clunky in attack, but that'll come the more games we play. Kept them to 6. If we're doing anything this year it's on the back of our defense not our attack.

I think that's a good win. They were desperate.. wasn't long ago we couldn't win a game 14-6...ugly wins stack up..
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I felt like we were the better team throughout the match. It just didn’t seem like they would score unless from a kick. I know a few times they were close, but it just seemed like neither team had a whole lot in attack. But it just felt like to me we were a class above and could eke out enough to get it done. Which is the way it played out.

Interesting in the press conference that Ricky said that we were required to bus it to the game as it was a “away” game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:42 pm
The Greenhouse wrote:66th min Bailey Simonsson loses the ball in the ruck... Tigers attack in the red zone again. Good work from Lui on Grant forces a Tigers' error.
Danaman137 wrote:

The tigers were the better team yesterday imo
The first half wasn’t even up debate
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2020, 7:27 am
Danaman137 wrote:

Tigers had by far the upper hand most of the game. And still we turned them away and won. Thats the class of this team.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

amiafish wrote: June 13, 2020, 11:52 pm CNK made it hard for us tonight. Has zero confidence under the high ball, isn't attacking the ball on kick returns... just surrendering. That was costing us 10 or 20 metres at the beginning of every set and allowing the Tigers defense to box us in. Made Rapana's job of first hit-up a nightmare all night. Hopefully Ricky and the boys can pump him up a bit... when he's on the front foot, he's a terrific player.
It really is shooting bambi, but cnk has had a very poor start to the year
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That was a very solid defensive easier which must have been the focus after a rubbish effort the previous week. It wasn’t flashy but we did enough to get the job done against a Tigers team who played very well. It sounds like the handling was tricky which meant big teams played pretty conservative footy

Every team is going to be up for us this year and that is going to make it tough so we need to be able to win games like that where we aren’t at our best in attack. It’s defence that wins comps so if we can keep most teams to one try we are a good shot at winning.

Some tough games coming up so we need to keep improving across the park.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Tigers played at probably 90% of their best possible game. We played around 50% of our best. We won. We are a good team
Dont delete this GE
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Some of the commentary around the game was amusing - we were not an amazing attacking team last year (we only scored 10 points more than the 7th place Sharks), Stuart has said a number of times how he wanted to change the team from flamboyant to grinding (since the 2016 finals loss to Melbourne), and we saw the positives of that approach last year.

Some random points:

* Even though CNK and Scott made errors, I thought their effort and run metres were great. They were trying very hard despite their form, which is admirable.
* I thought Tapine stood up defensively today. A couple of last ditch scrambling efforts to prevent tries. Rapana’s try saver was a game changer.
* George Williams has the (joint) most number of try assists in the NRL - which is the best a half has looked for us in terms of try assists, for a long time. His defence is such a welcome surprise.
* Getting Horsburgh and Young back will be good. I have been extremely worried about the second row depth with no Bateman and Murchie leaving, Soliola doesn’t have the lateral movement at this stage in his career. Not sure who Stuart will look to rotate, I actually thought Lui had a solid game, worked hard in defence.

Next week will be extremely tough, Fonua-Blake was immense for Manly against the Broncos and will more than make up for no Tapau. Manly will look to get Trbojevic 1 on 1 with CNK in the air, for sure.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Our defense was pretty good last night the Tigers had plenty of ball and were kept to one try off a contested bomb.

Our attack wasn't brilliant but did enough in the conditions facing a committed Tigers defense. The Tigers were definitely up for that game and that makes the win a good win. We won because we were tough and got the win as opposed to the opposition having an off night.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

1992 wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:29 pm The players taking a knee..

Bye.
Good riddance!
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

IBG wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:38 pm Rapana is still much better than Simmo at this stage. He has to continue to start the rest of the year IMO.
Disagree, I really think Simmo is more threatening now. Rapana just doesn't make clean breaks anymore... And didn't really last year either. Perfect in the 17 Jersey though
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

amiafish wrote:CNK made it hard for us tonight. Has zero confidence under the high ball, isn't attacking the ball on kick returns... just surrendering. That was costing us 10 or 20 metres at the beginning of every set and allowing the Tigers defense to box us in. Made Rapana's job of first hit-up a nightmare all night. Hopefully Ricky and the boys can pump him up a bit... when he's on the front foot, he's a terrific player.
Yeah his really down on confidence at the moment. He hardly had an error in his game last year. I think at times we haven't positioned any blockers for him which doesn't help... Like the one where he ended up flat on his backside with the ball bouncing a couple of metres away from him, he had 5 tigers players in his face.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I feel like Sticky just needs to set up a session where Jack, George and Sammy all bomb CNK relentlessly and then put in Papa, Dunamis and maybe Sia to just run at CNK while he's attempting to catch. He just seems a little tentative under the high ball.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2020, 7:27 am
Danaman137 wrote:

I'm the ultimate doomer but I thought we out muscled them fairly comfortably in the second half. Hodgson was clearing the ball acceptably quick and we were making much better yardage

That first half though
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Mullins_y2k wrote: June 14, 2020, 9:42 am
IBG wrote: June 13, 2020, 9:38 pm Rapana is still much better than Simmo at this stage. He has to continue to start the rest of the year IMO.
Disagree, I really think Simmo is more threatening now. Rapana just doesn't make clean breaks anymore... And didn't really last year either. Perfect in the 17 Jersey though

I can't recall Simo ever making a clean break. 1 actually. vs warriors when he was playing fb. He barely touches the ball. Rapa does heaps coming out of our end.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

raiderskater wrote: June 14, 2020, 10:48 am I feel like Sticky just needs to set up a session where Jack, George and Sammy all bomb CNK relentlessly and then put in Papa, Dunamis and maybe Sia to just run at CNK while he's attempting to catch. He just seems a little tentative under the high ball.
Yep. I assume they already do drills like this. We do know that CNK has the capacity to be safe...he was very safe all of last year. He just needs to recapture some confidence and attack the ball. This is where Sticky's coaching come in.

Needs to be fixed post haste because the DCE will bomb the crap out of us next week...with Tommy Turbo running through...yikes!