Shaun Wane again says Raiders English contingent can do better

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Re: England coach Shaun Wane says George Williams needs to improve

Post by GMGT »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2020, 8:54 pm This is what the story claims various playmakers are paid:

Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
Kieran Foran $1.2m
Ben Hunt $1.1m
Mitchell Pearce $1m
Michael Morgan $1m
Anthony Milford $1m
Ash Taylor $1m
Nathan Cleary $1m
Shaun Johnson $800,000
Cam Munster $800,000
Luke Keary $750,000
Luke Brooks $700,000
Mitchell Moses $800,000
Adam Reynolds $650,000
George Williams $550,000
Milford 🤣🤣🤣 Thank God we dodged that bullet. Our man George is already ten times better than that flop after just 3 nrl games.. and he's half the price!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

T_R wrote:He should renegotiate that, ideally in GF week.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Who's his manager? Time to sack him, I know just the guy to handle those negotiations!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Good game George.....just need to back it up with consistency...unlike previous halfbacks at the club
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams proving to be Canberra Raiders' better half despite the NRL doubters

Doubters were always gonna doubt, but George Williams is helping change the perception of the English Super League with his first few games for the Canberra Raiders.

"He's an all-round football player. He's a very, very strong defender, he's a good runner of the football," Ricky Stuart said. "With the outside noise there was a lot of doubt about George coming into the season and it certainly wasn't within. He's handling the transition from Super League to the NRL wonderfully.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2020, 8:54 pm This is what the story claims various playmakers are paid:

Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
Kieran Foran $1.2m
Ben Hunt $1.1m
Mitchell Pearce $1m
Michael Morgan $1m
Anthony Milford $1m
Ash Taylor $1m
Nathan Cleary $1m
Shaun Johnson $800,000
Cam Munster $800,000
Luke Keary $750,000
Luke Brooks $700,000
Mitchell Moses $800,000
Adam Reynolds $650,000
George Williams $550,000
Interesting that the 'lower' 6 on the list are generally more consistent than the 9 above them. Perhaps the upper 9 are no longer so hungry and tire out lifting their wallets before game day. I still shake my head at the majority of the million dollar men. They aren't worth it based on performance and or time injured.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

RedRaider wrote: June 5, 2020, 6:37 pm

Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
Kieran Foran $1.2m
Ben Hunt $1.1m
Mitchell Pearce $1m
Michael Morgan $1m
Anthony Milford $1m
Ash Taylor $1m
Nathan Cleary $1m
Shaun Johnson $800,000
Cam Munster $800,000
Luke Keary $750,000
Luke Brooks $700,000
Mitchell Moses $800,000
Adam Reynolds $650,000
George Williams $550,000
Interesting that the 'lower' 6 on the list are generally more consistent than the 9 above them. Perhaps the upper 9 are no longer so hungry and tire out lifting their wallets before game day. I still shake my head at the majority of the million dollar men. They aren't worth it based on performance and or time injured.
Imagine if we had Foran on the books at the raiders for 1.2 mil 🤣🤣 and the fans here think we have been through dark days..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What the Broncos have done to Anthony Milford is criminal
Those responsible should be brought before an NRL style Nuremberg trials and given a sentence befitting on the crime
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:What the Broncos have done to Anthony Milford is criminal
Those responsible should be brought before an NRL style Nuremberg trials and given a sentence befitting on the crime
Spot on. Another example of young players moving club without thinking of the long term development of their game. I even wonder if he hasn’t gone backwards.

There’s a lot of additional pressure on young players when playing for big money, at a big club in the full focus of the big media.

I don’t think Wighton would be the player he is if went to a big team early. He’s been allowed to improve and develop his game and his maturity slowly at the Raiders.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Imagine taking a incredibly creative ball player and runner, a genuine superstar who played with such incredible instincts and natural feel for the game, a generational talent, whose abilities stood out as being above most of peers in an elite competition could hope to have and turning him into Chad **** Townsend.

Imagine doing that ****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Milford has DEFINITELY gone backwards.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Imagine taking a incredibly creative ball player and runner, a genuine superstar who played with such incredible instincts and natural feel for the game, a generational talent, whose abilities stood out as being above most of peers in an elite competition could hope to have and turning him into Chad **** Townsend.

Imagine doing that ****.
Let’s turn the Beatles into a Stock Aitken and Waterman boy band.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 5, 2020, 8:36 pm Milford has DEFINITELY gone backwards.
He's not half the player he was in his rookie year for us.
An indictiment on Brisbane football
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The phone call that sealed George Williams' move to Canberra

Post by greeneyed »

The drunken phone call that sealed George Williams' move to the Canberra Raiders

There have been plenty of stories written about Canberra halfback George Williams this past week, but the one story that still gets a giggle down in the nation's capital is the drunken phone call to Ricky Stuart from Elliott Whitehead in a pub in the north of England that paved the way for Williams to join the NRL.

"He usually waits until he's had about six pints before he calls me," Stuart said. "You can never understand him – I can't understand him at the best of times, let alone after six or eight pints... He was basically telling me we had to sign this bloke George Williams.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-dr ... 54zy0.html
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Whitehead is the real legend. Tough, reliable, loyal and if anyone’s deserving of an upgrade it’s Smell. 💚
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
Part of me is sad that we missed out on seeing that epic talent shine.

Most of me is very, very happy. Stuff him, and stuff the Broncos.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2020, 8:08 pm Imagine taking a incredibly creative ball player and runner, a genuine superstar who played with such incredible instincts and natural feel for the game, a generational talent, whose abilities stood out as being above most of peers in an elite competition could hope to have and turning him into Chad **** Townsend.

Imagine doing that ****.
Only at Brisbane.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 6, 2020, 8:29 pm
Botman wrote:
Part of me is sad that we missed out on seeing that epic talent shine.

Most of me is very, very happy. Stuff him, and stuff the Broncos.
He didn't want to be here and played us for Muppets. I have very little sympathy
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Neeeegz wrote: June 4, 2020, 7:26 pm "Into him" might mean something else in pom. Could of meant into him, like I want that every week...Into him.
Because his attack and defense was brilliant for an NRL level and international half back.
Maybe even" romantically" into him, I doubt it but stranger things have happened.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Botman wrote:
He’s got to be at least 10kg heavier these days than when he played for us.

He’s lost all his zip zip.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

$$$ well spent on Foran and Hunt if those numbers are accurate..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Few more games like the last one he had and it looks like we'll be up for around a million it seems.

Rest assured if he does clubs will throw the bank at him.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

**** can we get through 1 season before upgrades and threats to leave rear their ugly head?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Shaun Wane again says Raiders English contingent can do better

Post by greeneyed »

England coach Shaun Wane reiterates Canberra Raiders Englishmen can do better

Shaun Wane has again refused to get carried away with the form a cluster of Englishmen in the NRL at present.

Wane said: “Without being awkward I’m never really happy with anybody and I want the players to be the same. I don’t want them walking off the field patting themselves on the back, I want them to walk off no matter how they’ve played looking at improving. The commentators in Australia at weekend were talking about George Williams, Ryan Sutton and Elliott Whitehead, but I know what they can do and they can do better.

Read more: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... s-22202225

‘They’ve not watched Super League’: England coach sick of NRL over-hyping English stars

England coach Shaun Wane has criticised the Australian media for overhyping its English exports.

“What George [Williams] is doing at Canberra at the minute he’s done for me for years - they’ve just not watched Super League. He’s doing what he’s done for Wigan, and he’s done more for Wigan. I know what George is capable of. I got asked a question by an Australian journalist, and I would be putting pressure on George for better performances if it were in Super League.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 840ec00725
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m not going to be stupid and call Wanes comments irrelevant, but doing what they did in super league, against actual high quality defensive sides in Australia is impressive. It’s a different ball game over here, the fact that Blake Austin is a star again over there is a case in point.

It’s one thing being good in the UK, it’s another to have the same impact in the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wane needs to understand and appreciate that the reason it's attracting such attention is because the step from ESL to NRL is significant...

Performing strongly in an NRL game is significantly more impressive than performing strongly in a competition Michael Dobson was a superstar in. I know that'll upset Shaun to hear, but those are the facts.

It's why Bradman Best is getting such hype too, everyone's know he has carved up the league at lower levels, but when they do it at the highest level, it means a little bit more.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ugh... beaten to the punch by @Coastalraider

f***ITALL
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2020, 5:21 pm England coach Shaun Wane reiterates Canberra Raiders Englishmen can do better

Shaun Wane has again refused to get carried away with the form a cluster of Englishmen in the NRL at present.

Wane said: “Without being awkward I’m never really happy with anybody and I want the players to be the same. I don’t want them walking off the field patting themselves on the back, I want them to walk off no matter how they’ve played looking at improving. The commentators in Australia at weekend were talking about George Williams, Ryan Sutton and Elliott Whitehead, but I know what they can do and they can do better.

Read more: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... s-22202225

‘They’ve not watched Super League’: England coach sick of NRL over-hyping English stars

England coach Shaun Wane has criticised the Australian media for overhyping its English exports.

“What George [Williams] is doing at Canberra at the minute he’s done for me for years - they’ve just not watched Super League. He’s doing what he’s done for Wigan, and he’s done more for Wigan. I know what George is capable of. I got asked a question by an Australian journalist, and I would be putting pressure on George for better performances if it were in Super League.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 840ec00725
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think Wane does understand that but he has his reasons for saying what he does.

He's the coach of England, who were just basically bombed back into the stone age by Wayne Bennet's disastrous tenure. Wayne was picking and playing literally anyone with an Australian connection over English players- just because they had some experience of NRL. Blake Austin... Jackson Hastings... complete hacks but preferred over actual Englishmen.

Morale was at rock bottom. Look at the joyless way they played on tour. Whitehead, Hodgo, Bateman plodded along playing Wayneball but he got absolutely zero out of 3 cracking players.

Wane has a duty to England to puff up the SL a bit. For a couple of reasons; to slow the drain of talent just a little bit and to give local English players more confidence when they do get to international footy. He can't have them feeling overawed or second best. He needs them ready to rip in and compete.

Majority of his squad will be England based so he needs them on board, feeling valued, confident. Otherwise he's got a fractured squad. The team is at a low enough ebb as it is, it's lowest ever probably. The game over there isn't quite as robust as in Oz. They need a coach who is talking up their league, not being seen to just rave out how NRL is the be all and end all. And it IS producing some great players, more and more so it seems- even if the depth isn't as good.

His comments are basically reasonable, "Even when things are going well, I always look to improve my players and strive to increase performance" is hardly an outrageous statement from a leader. S Waugh used to say the same, R Ponting... It's a bit of a beat up. He's saying what he has to say to pick up his team and by his responsibility to do right by the game in England after W Bennet left another stinkpile.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Na i agree with most of that
i do understand why he's pretending there isnt a step up... but it still needs to said, there is a step up, i know, he knows it, we all know it
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Wayneball vs Waneball
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Great post Badnmean. I do believe that Australian Rugby League fans should have more respect for the English game. Not just the competition itself but the rich history of the clubs and the small towns that support these clubs. Rugby League may only be popular in Yorkshire and Lancashire, but it has been around for 125 years and is the lifeblood of what people don't realise are very small towns.

There are less than 30 full time professional rugby league teams in the world. We shouldn't be trying to put any of them down.

On the subject of the English team (or Great Britain as they were on the last tour - this in itself seemed to cause some grief with UK fans) they will be much better off with Wane than Bennett. However, Wane's idea of bringing in more UK based players is likely to fall on its head as I expect that when origin is on later this year, there will be test matches between NZ, the Pacific Islands and England but the England side may only be allowed to include players based in Australia due to border restrictions.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Na i agree with most of that
i do understand why he's pretending there isnt a step up... but it still needs to said, there is a step up, i know, he knows it, we all know it
Look at botman flapping back and forward in a light breeze. Why it was only weeks ago Politis was to be free from criticism due to it being what botty saw as his duty to say due to his Roosters role...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 18, 2020, 1:19 pm
Look at botman flapping back and forward in a light breeze. Why it was only weeks ago Politis was to be free from criticism due to it being what botty saw as his duty to say due to his Roosters role...
You really want to do this today, gangers?
:lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 18, 2020, 1:56 pm
gangrenous wrote: June 18, 2020, 1:19 pm
You really want to do this today, gangers?
:lol:
Gangers is relentless and you deserve it. :roflmao :clap:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Bay53 wrote: June 17, 2020, 9:05 pm Great post Badnmean. I do believe that Australian Rugby League fans should have more respect for the English game. Not just the competition itself but the rich history of the clubs and the small towns that support these clubs. Rugby League may only be popular in Yorkshire and Lancashire, but it has been around for 125 years and is the lifeblood of what people don't realise are very small towns.

There are less than 30 full time professional rugby league teams in the world. We shouldn't be trying to put any of them down.

On the subject of the English team (or Great Britain as they were on the last tour - this in itself seemed to cause some grief with UK fans) they will be much better off with Wane than Bennett. However, Wane's idea of bringing in more UK based players is likely to fall on its head as I expect that when origin is on later this year, there will be test matches between NZ, the Pacific Islands and England but the England side may only be allowed to include players based in Australia due to border restrictions.
Are those still on!? Yeah going to be very tricky- there can't be more than 8-10 English in the whole NRL.