Shaun Wane again says Raiders English contingent can do better

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Shaun Wane again says Raiders English contingent can do better

Post by greeneyed »

‘I’d have been into him’: England coach Shaun Wane thought Canberra Raiders half George Williams was just OK against Melbourne Storm

England coach Shaun Wane has said that the reaction to George Williams’ impressive display for Canberra against the Storm was “over the top”.

“I thought he did some good things but he can have more involvements. If George had delivered that for me at Wigan, I’d have been into him. I’m sure other Super League coaches may have been the same. He did well, no question. I’m a big George Williams fan. But he needs to improve.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 97934cc38c

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... op-2871382
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: England coach Shaun Wane says George Williams needs to improve

Post by Botman »

Ok, Shaun
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart is famous for giving his halves a hard time. His new No. 7 says nothing could be further from the truth

Ricky Stuart is renowned for being a tough taskmaster for his halfbacks, but new Canberra signing George Williams says his harshest critic isn’t the Raiders’ coach – it is himself.

“I’m not getting carried away, obviously I’ve had a bit of media this week and yeah you’ve got to enjoy the moment, but take it in your stride and not get worried about. I'll keep my head down,” says Williams. “I have played one good game, but I’ve got to back that up now.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 80aaf09ddf

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/williams-p ... 9ca8fc8b7c

VIDEO: George remains grounded after star showing: Canberra halfback George Williams isn’t getting too ahead of himself after leading the Raiders to a 22-6 victory over the Melbourne Storm: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/02/geo ... r-showing/
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Pipe down Shaun Wane-Kerr
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

We better in supe-leeg than over then in that nrl like
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wigan would have lost 22-6 so I guess in his imagined scenario he would want more involvement.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Shaun Wane Bennett
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

reading the article, I take it as Shaun Wane trying to say that the gap in Superleague vs NRL isn't as large as what Australians make out, rather than a "ragging" on George Williams
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:07 pm reading the article, I take it as Shaun Wane trying to say that the gap in Superleague vs NRL isn't as large as what Australians make out, rather than a "ragging" on George Williams
That's exactly what it is... and he's still wrong :lol:
I know he has a brand and a competition to defend, but Shaun Wane has seen George Williams do this hundreds of times right? Against St Helens, Leeds, Castleford, Hull in the ESL and now the Storm in the NRL... to Shaun Wane i'd say this - One of these things is not like the others.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Sounds like someone's a bit envious that he's ours now, and not playing for them any more...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

George was class, but I def wantwd him to have more touches.....but thats more about the coaches plan and Hodgo wether he gets the ball more

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We had something like 4 genuine scoring opportunities in the first half and he helped us create 2 tries off the 3 we scored.

Our attack was a bit ragtag in the second half. Nobody looked particularly great. Much of that was due to dumb handling errors across the park, but I think almost the whole team had room for improvement, not just Williams.

I thought he was great, but I think he'll be even better when the team hits it's groove...which he is an instrumental part of as an organiser for the backline.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Improve to become better than what......Jackson Hastings? I don't have to watch George play anymore to know that he's better than him.

Lay off the hash Shaun.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Shaun who?? :shock: :shock:
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Here's hoping we don't have weekly commentary from Shaun. The only coach George has to please is Ricky. There are enough distractions.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 2, 2020, 5:23 pm Improve to become better than what......Jackson Hastings? I don't have to watch George play anymore to know that he's better than him.

Lay off the hash Shaun.
It's honestly got me **** wondering how Hastings was playing for the national team over Georgey.

We might have finally found some common ground on the #7 spot, ajadkjdsfka
We both appear to have a deep love for this one :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: England star impressing down under with Canberra Raiders

Following an impressive performance which saw him notch two try-assists in Canberra Raiders' 6-22 victory over Melbourne Storm, Our League spoke to England and Canberra half-back George Williams discussing the return of the NRL, how he's settled Down Under and Rugby League World Cup 2021 ambitions with England.

Video: https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56 ... -interview

@9NewsSyd on Twitter

In just three games British half George Williams has become a cult figure at the @RaidersCanberra, and he's a major reason why they're now premiership favourites. #NRL #9News https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1267742606227881984

@7NewsSydney on Twitter

@RaidersCanberra sensation @George7Williams says he never feared Ricky Stuart's famously low-tolerance for misfiring halfbacks. Williams has joined a posse of Englishmen making Canberra title favourites and it is easy to see why Ricky is a big fan. #NRL #7NEWS https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 1242450944
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous. First Shaun Wane is not a rugby league nobody, he has a fantastic record in England, and is now the national team coach. He is also responding to a Yorkshire newspaper so there is no surprise they are talking up the English game.

I see Wane’s comments as a massive positive. If Williams can have a game like that, but his former coach thinks he can play even better, how good is that for us??
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

A fantastic record in England is a bit like being the primary school swimming champion though.

Doesn't mean you're a shoe in for the Olympic team suddenly.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Georgey has come a long way since his early Wigan days ....

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

More Super League stars should test themselves in NRL, says George Williams

Former Wigan half George Williams is the latest Englishman to thrive Down Under. And asked whether he would like to see other players try their hand in the NRL, Williams said: “I hope so. I don’t think the Super League would be happy for me to say that. Luke Thompson is coming over, he’s a great player. This is the best league in the world and that’s why I came here to embrace it.”

His close friend Oliver Gildart recently appointed an Australian agent, Sam Ayoub, to explore any NRL options. Englishmen Ryan Sutton, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead and Josh Hodgson are also at Canberra.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ms-2872725
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ultima wrote: June 3, 2020, 10:14 am A fantastic record in England is a bit like being the primary school swimming champion though.

Doesn't mean you're a shoe in for the Olympic team suddenly.
I think Wane is an excellent coach. In fact, if Ricky was to get hit by a bus tomorrow, he would be near the top of my list for a replacement.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Weirdly specific.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bay53 wrote:Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous. First Shaun Wane is not a rugby league nobody, he has a fantastic record in England, and is now the national team coach. He is also responding to a Yorkshire newspaper so there is no surprise they are talking up the English game.

I see Wane’s comments as a massive positive. If Williams can have a game like that, but his former coach thinks he can play even better, how good is that for us??
I’m with you fiddy-three. This thread is weird.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If you want to know about Wane’s history, have a look at this. It was before his last game coaching Wigan, which was also Sutton and Bateman’s last match. George Williams also playing.

He was also a very good player. He was man of the match for Wigan’s victory over Manly in 1987. Raiders fans who were around then know how good that Manly side was.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree with some here that i interpreted wanes comments as a compliment to our george. I also think he (and us) will be a major beneficiary of the new 6 again rule because it takes the emphasis away from defence and slowing down play the balls which IMHO is the primary difference between the nrl and esl.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

It's only George's third game in an interrupted season. If he can improve on what we saw on Saturday, we'll be in for a good season. I have no doubt that the improvement is there.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

I think he's just mostly saying that SL produces great players too and is defending their standards. I think it's just the “If George had delivered that for me at Wigan, I’d have been into him. I’m sure other Super League coaches may have been the same." comment that chips.

I don't know what you could be into him about that performance, especially without knowing the game plan. Clearly jack was kicking more but George ran the ball brilliantly, defended well and setup some great try's at critical moments. Taking into account the opposition he was great. Not 10/10 like Freddy was saying, but not into him either.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He can defend their standards but he doesnt need to be making backhanded compliments to do so. It just comes across as catty and frankly given the involvement the guy had in the game, totally uninformed.

I dont think there is a person alive outside of Mr Wane who watched that game and thought George Williams involvement was not up to par.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

"Into him" might mean something else in pom. Could of meant into him, like I want that every week...Into him.
Because his attack and defense was brilliant for an NRL level and international half back.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: June 4, 2020, 7:26 pm "Into him" might mean something else in pom. Could of meant into him, like I want that every week...Into him.
Because his attack and defense was brilliant for an NRL level and international half back.
hmmmm interesting thought. You might be on to something there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Where Canberra’s George Williams ranks among NRL’s big-money halves

Canberra’s latest cut-price Pom George Williams is playing for about $550,000 this year — half what Ben Hunt earns at the Dragons. It makes Williams the NRL’s cheapest top-tier playmaker.

“It was just his creativity, I was taken back by it,” Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland said. “And his desire to put his body in front of defence. They are the two hallmarks of any halfback. I honestly didn’t think we had a hope in hell of getting him out here at one stage but the success of the other guys in Canberra really opened his eyes.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 99d73556b8
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He should renegotiate that, ideally in GF week.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is what the story claims various playmakers are paid:

Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
Kieran Foran $1.2m
Ben Hunt $1.1m
Mitchell Pearce $1m
Michael Morgan $1m
Anthony Milford $1m
Ash Taylor $1m