Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman staying with Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu »

The other point to consider is we don't even know what the cap will be. If he was on 580k and the cap was 20% lower he would be doing very well.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 23, 2020, 10:52 am They wouldn't upgrade his current deal without an extension. That would be pointless.
Absolutely. He signed a deal, as it turns out a bad deal that underpayed him. He quite rightly wants to redo and get more money, but the rub is that for that, the club will need a longer term committment.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Whilst I am heartened by his tweet, I will forever be burned by that open letter Schif wrote in the Canberra Times eight seconds before signing with the Queensland Reds when it comes to players reassuring the fans.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, at the end of the day money talks in a situation like this. That's not always the case with some players, but it would be in this one.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I really don't understand this

The article says he has been granted permission to talk to other clubs for 2021. Asking for a release is something very different.

One is about your next deal, asking for a release is about getting out of your current one. Fox and JB are talking at cross purposes

Isn't the whole point of having a manager to investigate your market value for your next deal?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:The other point to consider is we don't even know what the cap will be. If he was on 580k and the cap was 20% lower he would be doing very well.
Has there been any further talk of lowering the cap? I thought it was just speculation and a bit of uncertainty?

Every player at every club will have to renegotiate their contracts and maybe they reduce squads to 25 for a year or two, to reduce costs a little.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nacho wrote: May 23, 2020, 1:37 pm I really don't understand this

The article says he has been granted permission to talk to other clubs for 2021. Asking for a release is something very different.

One is about your next deal, asking for a release is about getting out of your current one. Fox and JB are talking at cross purposes

Isn't the whole point of having a manager to investigate your market value for your next deal?
There are two articles, one quickly followed the other. The second indicates it is sourced from other NRL clubs:

“Fox Sports has learned of the story through rival NRL clubs who were surprised when Bateman’s name was mentioned as being available despite being contracted to the Raiders until the end of 2021.”

The implication - for me anyway - is that this is what someone, presumably a player manager, has told other clubs.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: May 23, 2020, 2:03 pm
edwahu wrote:The other point to consider is we don't even know what the cap will be. If he was on 580k and the cap was 20% lower he would be doing very well.
Has there been any further talk of lowering the cap? I thought it was just speculation and a bit of uncertainty?

Every player at every club will have to renegotiate their contracts and maybe they reduce squads to 25 for a year or two, to reduce costs a little.

Revenue will be down given it looks like Nine has lined up a 20% reduction in its rights deal and the CBA is based on revenue share. How that impacts the cap though is just speculation.

I did read that some clubs were pushing for fixed rookie contracts, which would give a lot of savings.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Brent Read ( The Australian ) has said that John Bateman is all but certain to be at another club in 2021

Early favourites: Bulldogs, Dragons
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Brent Read on Triple M (who is usually pretty good with his mail) is adamant the story is correct and says he will be stunned if Bateman is at the Raiders next year.

He said Bateman's tweet is all about semantics about him not personally asking for a release, and the Raiders aren't willing to sacrifice the cap and the rest of the squad to upgrade him.

He said the Bulldogs and Dragons are favourite at the moment.

:(

IF this is all true ... as much as I think Bateman made a huge impact to our side last year, I'll back the club to make the right call here.

In years gone by we have elevated certain players to be bigger than the club and then it's come back to bite us.

If he goes he goes. Next man in. I feel more comfortable saying that this year than I would other years.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 246aac5bac

1) there is nothing too new here. We know he would be talking to other clubs.

2) if he does go, and it's to the Bulldogs or Dragons, good luck to him. It's clearly only about money and he's not going to win anything at those two clubs.

3) I'm sure if we want to keep him, we will offer him what's right. If we don't keep him, so be it. I trust Don and Stick will unearth another quality backrower. Whilst Bateman is a very good player, I still feel he has a bit to prove to show he is in the game's absolute elite.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Uh oh.... well now Johnny Boy looks like a bit of a ......

Exclusive: ‘Yes, it’s true’ — Raiders boss confirms Bateman allowed to shop around as Bulldogs close in

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surely we can find 200k lying around somewhere.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I keep blaming Moses for this circus but Bateman chose to switch agents when he already had a contract. I think that says a lot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner confirms John Bateman allowed to shop around as Bulldogs close in

Canberra boss Don Furner has confirmed the Raiders have given England backrower John Bateman permission to test his value on the open market.

“Yes, it’s true. We’ve given John permission to test his value on the open market. That’s all I’ll say on the matter,” Furner said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 246aac5bac

John Bateman has rubbished a story claiming he has asked for a release from Canberra: https://www.totalrl.com/bateman-rubbish ... t-reports/

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-2861628

Kent urges NRL to get tough on trend that’s letting player agents ‘hold clubs to ransom’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 378516bb76

VIDEO: Are agents ruining the game? https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... ame!774585

VIDEO: Ikin says John Bateman should stay a Raider https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... der!774603

Michael Ennis just saying on Fox League Live that he's spoken to John Bateman today. He says Bateman told him that he's happy at Canberra and has not personally sought a release.

Based on the Fox League Live discussion, there is some sort of provision for re-negotiation for the final year of his contract.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

IBG wrote: May 23, 2020, 2:49 pm Uh oh.... well now Johnny Boy looks like a bit of a ......

Exclusive: ‘Yes, it’s true’ — Raiders boss confirms Bateman allowed to shop around as Bulldogs close in

There’s a bit of a difference though between repeatedly asking for a release (Hooper’s original claim) and shopping around (what Don has confirmed).

I believe that Bateman (and even his manager) hasn’t asked for a release. I also believe he’s happy here. And I also believe he’s seeking more money. All of those things can be true and they don’t reflect poorly on him.

As you and others have said, if we can’t match what the Bulldogs or Dragons or whoever are willing to pay and he won’t budge, so be it. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Thems the breaks when you enjoy some semblance of success.

It really just emphasises that unless you’re the Roosters with bottomless finances, when you have an opportunity to win a chip you need to take it, because the vultures start circling immediately once you’re in the heavyweight tier of clubs.

I reckon it’s a tad disappointing from JB though, it’s not like he is a Scottie Pippen with (NRL) championship pedigree on a grossly underpaid deal.

If he is willing to throw away a special premiership opportunity with Canberra for 50-100k more at St George, then what can you do.

I tend to think that being a star player on a premiership side You’d make up the 100k on your next deal easily.

He may regret this one later.
Up The Milk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by julian87 »

I’m going to hold back here because I think ultra negative comments in these parts are not a good thing about these situations.

The short of it is. He can obviously get more money. But it really should be tough titties to him. A club can’t halve a players deal after an acl injury. If he takes that money it’s going to be at a team where he gets bashed every week and has no chance of a premiership.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by julian87 »

And you can harp on about him being the turning point for the club but that’s a bit one dimensional. I love him as a player but he’s a part in the puzzle that is Wighton to 6, Tapine to the middle, CNK to the back and the young tearaways coming of age up the guts.

Clubs/teams making a great signing and sticking to their guns on it is hardly a new thing. They should be able to revel in it imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

No one is bigger than the club, I believe he will stay, but if he doesn’t... throw the book at Tevita Pangai Jr
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It sounds like all he is doing is negotiating to get himself a better deal with the club next year. If we want to pay him market rates we will, otherwise we don’t and he’s free to walk. Can’t blame him or the club here.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Very messy

I have very little faith in Don Furner being able to control this.
Ricky Stuart has made him look good recently.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

In my mind it’s such a non story and must happen a lot. Being blown out of proportion because Hooper’s ego has been damaged
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I’ve been thinking he’s gone for the last six months. He wants to be with his daughter and needs to make big dollars here before returning to the U.K.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Simple. Hard to disagree with Ikin on this as much as he is a turnip - Bateman has a chance to win a comp with a club that is firmly in its premiership window for the next 2-3 seasons at least and that plays a style which suits his unusual approach to being a second rower. For that come some $$ sacrifices, if he isn't willing to cop that, we let him go. Fair enough if it's about giving him a bit of an upgrade but if it's crazy $$ we can't and shouldn't compete with it.

However this plays out, managers are a cancer on the game and his manager has shown himself to be a complete twat.

Pretty confident he will stay though.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

He showed his lack of class by bringing it up in grand final week last year.
I'm furious at him and undecided if the club should let him go now,
as no one would have that kind of money to spend and he would save us half his wage.
Then he can sign for whatever he can get. With a wooden spoon candidate.
Sounds like a spoilt brat and not a team player. Kinda like a pommy Dugan.
I'll remind you all, it wasn't his new manager speaking on fox that day he mentioned wanting more money. It was John, thinking he was bigger than the team. **** OFF.
Absolute dog act.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Imagine signing a contact and coming out after one year and demanding an upgrade or a release

Piss weak attitude if true and can **** off if he has no interest in helping the club

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Neeeegz wrote: May 23, 2020, 3:50 pm He showed his lack of class by bringing it up in grand final week last year.
I'm furious at him and undecided if the club should let him go now,
as no one would have that kind of money to spend and he would save us half his wage.
I also wonder if he had this surgery after the tests to prove a point that we will struggle without him (we havent) so now he comes out with this to cause more trouble. I've lost patience with his crap.
Let him sign for whatever he can get. With a wooden spoon candidate.
Sounds like a spoilt brat and not a team player. Kinda like a pommy Dugan.
I'll remind you all, it wasn't his new manager speaking on fox that day he mentioned wanting more money. It was John, thinking he was bigger than the team. **** OFF.
Absolute dog act.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I wonder if the Raiders wants to see how his shoulder recovers, before putting an offer on the table. I know COVID has delayed his rehab program, but even early on it sounded like it was a particularly troubling rebuild.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by greeneyed »

Rothfield saying on Fox League Live that the Raiders would be prepared to upgrade, but would want an extension of the contract as part of the deal, and Isaac Moses has knocked that back. Talks been going on since the Grand Final.

Rothfield saying the Raiders can't go higher than the $580,000 and $600,000 he on now in the next two years, but could go to $700,000-800,000 in the following years. A total $2.65 million.

Dragons possibly offering $3.2 million over four years, another $150,000 a year.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Like i said, his manager is a twat. Reminds me of the banaghan / joel m saga
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The players should just agree to publish salaries and suddenly the need for a manager all but dissapears in the NRL. The only reason they can demand US style retainers here is because nobody knows their worth in the market except the agents.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

edwahu wrote: May 23, 2020, 4:28 pm The players should just agree to publish salaries and suddenly the need for a manager all but dissapears in the NRL. The only reason they can demand US style retainers here is because nobody knows their worth in the market except the agents.
Edwahu, I love you.... BUT... you're living in a world of MAKE BELIEVE, with flowers and fairies and leprechauns and frogs that wear funny little hats.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wouldn't surprise me if Don has said 'go see what's on offer and come back to us and we'll see how close we can get to matching it'.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Azza wrote: May 23, 2020, 4:37 pm
edwahu wrote: May 23, 2020, 4:28 pm The players should just agree to publish salaries and suddenly the need for a manager all but dissapears in the NRL. The only reason they can demand US style retainers here is because nobody knows their worth in the market except the agents.
Edwahu, I love you.... BUT... you're living in a world of MAKE BELIEVE, with flowers and fairies and leprechauns and frogs that wear funny little hats.
I'm just saying agents don't actually do much here compared to overseas but players throw the same % at them. They can't go out and sign million dollar shoe deals and you wouldn't trust most of them to look after your finances. Then when the **** hits the fan it's the club's that usually protect the players.

All they seem to be much use for here is sliming you out of a contract when you've signed a dud deal. Doesn't seem like a lot and probably diminishing returns for 10 - 20% of your salary.