Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by edwahu »

Seems TPJ is managed by Moses, so that probably kills that option.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 30, 2020, 4:18 pm Botman I know you've been pretty hardline on your opinion that sports stars should just chase dollars because of their limited window, loyalty is dead, etc.

But I think even within those parameters there are certainly limits.

You have stressed that fact that NRL players are in an exceptional category whereby they should be entitled to chase every dollar to the bitter end because of their window...

But if Bateman goes to the dogs for a mere 50k more over a couple years, is that purportedly absolute principle really all that absolute?

I genuinely reckon I could up and leave my current job, chase more dollars and secure something vaguely close to 50k more a year and the world would keep turning (and this is from a base much lower than 600k so the significance would be much greater). However, I started a new job relatively recently and there has been a moderate investment in me, and while I am perfectly entitled to jump ship any time I want, sometimes it just isn't good decorum to leave a place high and dry.

The above is all contingent upon Bateman going to the Dogs or another NRL club, because if it is for personal reasons I have no issue with him going back home. But if he jumps up the highway for a marginal payrise, then make no mistake he is leaving us high and dry. And that is before you consider what we have done for him and the time he has spent on the sidelines.
I think regarding comparing your situation to his, you’re talking apples and oranges.

I maybe wrong here but I’m going to assume you’ll be able to continue your career well into your 60’s if you choose to, john’s career will force him into retirement at about 33–34 if he’s lucky and if he’s not as early as 29-30

I’m going to guess your career doesn’t place you are great risk of long term debilitating injuries to things like back, knees and shoulders which will limit what areas of employment you can seek past your enforced retirement in your mid 30s, John’s does.

I’m going to guess you job isn’t placing you at high risk for long term brain injuries, John’s does

I guess I’m saying that yes you entitled to jump ship but to some degree you have greater scope to take into account things like a company’s investment into you, you can take your time with your career and earnings progression because at Johns age you have another 40 years in your career and your earnings are expected to increase consistently over that time

John right now has 4-8 years luck pending, left in his career, with no idea what short or long term damage he’ll be dealing with post and what limits that places on him for his post playing career and his earning potential will almost certainly never be what it is right now

Your earning potential greater now than you’re getting based on that example but the potential isn’t likely going anywhere. It will still be there in 1-2-5-10-20 years if you choose to peruse it

John’s is one bad tackle, one wrong step from disappearing forever. So no I don’t hold it against him if he goes to the dog's.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Tpj or chn for me, 850k and 450k respectively.
So it comes down to salary cap space...
And forget Bateman, if Hudson is killing it by the end of the year ? Would you drop him for Bateman in a preliminary final ? Hypothetically speaking...
If the prelim was a chance to bring Bateman back from injury to make a grand final, would you take the risk ?
Nope for me.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

He’s been a major distraction.. very pleased that this has come to an end.
Lordo
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Lordo »

Can't believe he said 'you're getting closer' to the 650k he was offered last year. Cya later knob
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

As far as I understood the manager is the one that said that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says club will look to bolster squad, potentially this season

After the loss of John Bateman, Don Furner says the club will be on the look out for players.

"We've got time this year until August 2, the deadline is not June 30 anymore so we've got an extra month to sign. We'll look at this year and beyond. We could [bring someone in this year]. We've also got an injury to Corey Horsburgh so we'll be keeping our eyes open."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells all on the John Bateman contract drama, dropping Curtis Scott to the bench, and the latest on Corey Horsburgh's surgery. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/TftG50AlvRB

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for last year's memories John.
Be with your family, it's what really matters.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:58 pm As far as I understood the manager is the one that said that.
And John was quoted saying his manager does the speaking for him.
Buy him a plane ticket and send him home. That's the only way to get our players heads right, this has affected them all..
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

edwahu wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:24 pm Seems TPJ is managed by Moses, so that probably kills that option.
For now at least.
If he loses his license, the door could open up.
Bronco's will be desperate to keep Fafita and will have to shed someone to match what the GC are offering.
Another scenario is letting Cotric walk (if the stories are true) and making an ambitious play at Fafita ourselves.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fifita would be a great get but so would Haas. But we could get better value with 2 good players for the same coin.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:07 pm
zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:58 pm As far as I understood the manager is the one that said that.
And John was quoted saying his manager does the speaking for him.
Buy him a plane ticket and send him home. That's the only way to get our players heads right, this has affected them all..
"Does the speaking for him" does not mean John is feeding him lines. It's everything from "you handle the negotiations" to "that offer is a joke, get me more from the ****".
It's pretty obvious from how Stick regards John who he thinks was the bigger problem in the way this played out, and who he is annoyed at for that comment.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:11 pm Fifita would be a great get but so would Haas. But we could get better value with 2 good players for the same coin.

I reckon to win comps we need great players not good ones. We were probably one short last year.
Last edited by edwahu on June 30, 2020, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

So we are open to signing someone for this year too. I’m a little excited

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 2:20 pm Replacing him won't be too hard. This isn't a halfback or a hooker. Plenty of quality out there and we should have the right money to buy a very good player, instead of a Joel Thompson who's not much more than a run of the mill footballer on the last legs of his career.
Yeah the question is do you go for a highly touted young prospect the way we targeted Tapine?
Do you take a swing at a damaged asset who has high upside like a CHN/TPJ? Maybe Crighton is someone the Roosters would be keen to move on from given although he's good, he's probably not delivering what they're paying him for.
Or is just finding a good reliable footy player as depth and focus on developing from within via guys like Hudson Young?

Lot of different ways you can approach it. But it's a big hole in our team now.
IMO ideally someone in the 22-26 range, with at least 2-3 full seasons of first grade under his belt. That way they can come into the team hitting the ground running and still have plenty of longevity. They have to be mobile, able to run strong lines for Williams, and be a good attacking outlet in general to complement Whitehead, who's more on the slower and defensive side of things, to give us a nice balance.

I think we have to get the players in the best starting team to be as high quality as possible. I have a decent amount of faith in someone like Hudson but if we've got the money now, I'd like to see us spend it on real quality to maintain this window. A high class hole hitting backrower running off George could pay us huge dividends and add a string to the bow we seem to be missing from this season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:07 pm
edwahu wrote: June 30, 2020, 6:24 pm Seems TPJ is managed by Moses, so that probably kills that option.
For now at least.
Bronco's will be desperate to keep Fafita and will have to shed someone to match what the GC are offering.
Another scenario is letting Cotric walk (if the stories are true) and making an ambitious play at Fafita ourselves.
We all know the Broncos are overindulged in forwards, many of whom are of very high calibre on an individual basis. They need to get rid of some and we need to be there to swoop in.

I think the strategy should be to go hard after the big whale (Fifita) - we likely won't get him but that's us playing our part to help drive up the price and ensure he re-signs on big coin. After missing him and with the Broncos purse tighter, work your way down to the next 1-3 players and target them in the similar fashion to nab one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:30 pm IMO ideally someone in the 22-26 range, with at least 2-3 full seasons of first grade under his belt. That way they can come into the team hitting the ground running and still have plenty of longevity. They have to be mobile, able to run strong lines for Williams, and be a good attacking outlet in general to complement Whitehead, who's more on the slower and defensive side of things, to give us a nice balance.

I think we have to get the players in the best starting team to be as high quality as possible. I have a decent amount of faith in someone like Hudson but if we've got the money now, I'd like to see us spend it on real quality to maintain this window. A high class hole hitting backrower running off George could pay us huge dividends and add a string to the bow we seem to be missing from this season.
Yeah that's pretty much how i feel about it too. Our window is open, now is the time to get the best team we can muster and push for the title
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:11 pm "Does the speaking for him" does not mean John is feeding him lines. It's everything from "you handle the negotiations" to "that offer is a joke, get me more from the ****".
It's pretty obvious from how Stick regards John who he thinks was the bigger problem in the way this played out, and who he is annoyed at for that comment.
You're wasting your time, mate. Let em think what they want, as you said Stuart made it painfully clear where the communication problems were... and it wasnt JB
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think our absolute best option is CHN based on what he would cost compared to his ability. He is a great hole runner with pace for his size.

TPJ would be nice but his ill discipline worries me too much for what he would cost.
Last edited by Wiki Special on June 30, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:38 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:07 pm
For now at least.
We all know the Broncos are overindulged in forwards, many of whom are of very high calibre on an individual basis. They need to get rid of some and we need to be there to swoop in.

I think the strategy should be to go hard after the big whale (Fifita) - we likely won't get him but that's us playing our part to help drive up the price and ensure he re-signs on big coin. After missing him and with the Broncos purse tighter, work your way down to the next 1-3 players and target them in the similar fashion to nab one.
Agree 100%. That’s the strategy right there.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 5:31 pm Ricky Stuart unleashes on player managers and NRL on contract dealings

Ricky Stuart unleashed today on the behaviour of player managers and the NRL over contract dealings, as it was confirmed today that John Bateman would be leaving the club.

"It was always going to happen. I'm proud of the club that they put a timeline on it. We're sick of waiting. We knew what was going to happen, so we were sick of waiting and to Don's credit, he put a time frame on his manager, and we got what we knew was coming," Stuart said.

"It's very disappointing. John's a real big part of the squad. He's a world class player, so to lose him really disappoints me."

"We here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster and then you're getting players pulled out of it the way John has, has really disappointed me. Disappointed me with how the game allows it. The game, the NRL need to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers, over the way they agitate clubs and the way they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them only."

"It's not always in the best interests of the player, and it disappoints me because it's so hard to build a strong roster. But I'm proud of the club that it took a stance and wanted to get a decision. Because the last thing we're going to be is a club such as the Broncos or the Warriors, where they've just been ruined by agitation and manipulation of roster."

"I've got a lot of respect for John [Bateman] as a bloke, and I've got on with him very well. As a footballer, I have the very highest degree of respect."

"We offered John a very, very good offer last year to his English manager and then his new manager. It was a very, very good offer. And it was the words of... "you're getting closer"... I thought was disrespectful to Don and the club. And that day there, I knew we wouldn't be keeping John... and therefore, we needed to spend the money [elsewhere]."

"It won't affect my relationship with John at all. I understand it's a professional business and you've got to make these decisions. But it’s just how it has been done has disappointed me."

Full interview: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... ns-future/

Ricky goes nuclear as he lashes Bateman’s ‘manipulating, agitating’ manager over star Raider’s exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ca8b5f6495

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on NRL to fix player manager mess after John Bateman quits: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e49c714cab

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... 18bb6c94b3

VIDEO: Hear from Ricky Stuart as he discussed John Bateman 's future after it was announced he would be leaving the club at the end of this season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/06 ... ns-future/

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad takes out tackle of the week! What a try saver! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

VIDEO: Robbie Farah says the Canberra Raiders were right to not match the money asked by John Bateman and is confident the club will be able to find a replacement: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/30/far ... n-bateman/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells all on the John Bateman contract drama, dropping Curtis Scott to the bench, and the latest on Corey Horsburgh's surgery. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/TftG50AlvRB

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
This is outstanding from Ricky.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:47 pm I think our absolute best option is CHN based on what he would cost compared to his ability. He is a great hole runner with pace for his size.

TPJ would be nice but his ill discipline worries me too much for what he would cost.
TPJ would be firmly in the Scott camp of "could work out great, or could be a disaster"
I believe he has the talent to be one of the best forwards in the world

im much higher on CHN than most i think, but he doesnt have the level of potential of TPJ, but i think he'd come much cheaper and i wouldnt worry about him being a disaster, i think at worst he's a good footballer. Where as TPJ could be over priced boondoogle who's constantly under performing or suspended sitting on our cap

I loooooooove alkdkjasa's idea of just pushing the price up for all those brisbane forwards knowing at some point we probably get one of the three... that's really growing on me the more i think about it
Last edited by Botman on June 30, 2020, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'll reserve my judgement until it's announced where he is going.

I'll be a bit pissed if he doesn't get on the field this year though.
Godeangogogogo
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Godeangogogogo »

I think it’s very easy and lazy to label a player a money grabber.

Bateman and his agent will have an idea of his current worth and the club disagree with that valuation / don’t have room in the salary cap. Last season’s run to the Grand Final saw the stock of few players rise dramatically and they looked for upgrades. It’s the reality of a salary capped sport.

One line of Bateman’s statement stood out for me – “The Raiders gave me an opportunity to come to Australia and play in the NRL” I think the well documented homesickness that he’s suffered with has also had a massive impact. He’ll be back with Wigan for 2021 which is a huge shame.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Wiki Special wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:47 pm I think our absolute best option is CHN based on what he would cost compared to his ability. He is a great hole runner with pace for his size.
It wouldn't be worth the PR disaster or the schools ringing up the Raiders and saying they'd rather the team didn't come to the school now.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Ricky Nailed it.

Gutted though about Bateman, I’ve said it on here before but the stories I’ve heard about him arriving to our club and changing the mentality of the playing group are invaluable.

Anyway, life will roll on. I just hope we aren’t going through another 2017/2018 Seasons

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:54 pm

TPJ would be firmly in the Scott camp of "could work out great, or could be a disaster"
I believe he has the talent to be one of the best forwards in the world

im much higher on CHN than most i think, but he doesnt have the level of potential of TPJ, but i think he'd come much cheaper and i wouldnt worry about him being a disaster, i think at worst he's a good footballer. Where as TPJ could be over priced boondoogle who's constantly under performing or suspended sitting on our cap

I loooooooove alkdkjasa's idea of just pushing the price up for all those brisbane forwards knowing at some point we probably get one of the three... that's really growing on me the more i think about it
Yes, very true. Plus I think George Williams will really trouble defences with a hard running 2nd rower on his shoulder ala what Shaun Lane does at Parra. It will also open up Williams running game.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm not sure there's room for both Tapine and TPJ. Tapine is really just TPJ-lite. The injuries and suspensions between the two will be a nightmare
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:15 pm I'm not sure there's room for both Tapine and TPJ. Tapine is really just TPJ-lite. The injuries and suspensions between the two will be a nightmare
Fair counter :lol:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I was always in the focus on this year camp and if that means he moves on so be it.

I am desperately hopeful that we are able to hang in there between 5-8 on the table and hopefully he comes back for a finals tilt. Saturday was hard to swallow but I felt as though it looked like last year again at times so not all is lost. Scott being hooked is a good start, the team still has potential to go well. Choosing to look at the positive it’s a pretty good window to run into Melbourne and Easts too.

If and when he comes back this season I think we’ve seen those smart agile forwards are an absolute trump card. If he comes back late season I think he should defend second row yet attack at lock in a Murray/Radley type role.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by tommyhud9 »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:13 pm TPJ would be good. Broncos are way too heavy in the forwards and if smart would release him
Banter surely?

We have worked hard over a number of years to eradicate the club of players who make stupid decisions and consistently put us under pressure.

TPJ's game is so error-riddled and ill-disciplined, he would be a painful watch for fans.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I hope he goes back to the uk, would leave a really bad taste in my mouth if he signed with the dogs after we have paid the transfer fee and all medical bills

And this idea that players have to make as much as they can cause they retire early is bullocks. They might retire from footy but they can get another job after!
Vaccinated
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by GMGT »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:06 pm "Won't be at Raiders in 2021"

Hasn't been here 2020 either 😃
Since 2019*
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe if Fifita heads to the Titans we could swoop in on Cartwright. He's just about to come into his prime, has some great off-field values and his wife Karen seems like a great WAG to have around the playing group.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm better than Cartwright..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: