All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Mercury »

No.
Bateman has made it Crystal clear it's all about the money.
Probably behind the scenes TPAs. :|
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Bateman contract talks face delay after agent banned

Post by simo »

Who could have seen this coming.
Dont delete this GE
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

89_90_94_?? wrote:Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RichmondRaider wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:52 pm Is it just me or will he end up with less in both of these proposed options?

It this more than money?
The Dogs deal is a little bit more but for a longer period. I think he was reported to be on 600k for another year, this will be 650k range for another two years on top of that.

The Wigan deal would be about getting home.

I am surprised we wouldn't be able to match the Dogs deal since it's dropped from the 800k range discussed before, but it also makes me think he might of burnt some bridges and the club might not want too.
Last edited by edwahu on June 30, 2020, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Ron78 wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
89_90_94_?? wrote:Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
Well said.

I'm sorry, but he then de-railed the focus of that GF week by bringing up his contract four days before the **** game.

He has shown himself to be a man of near Dugan-esque character as far as I'm concerned. The club better be getting it's transfer fee back, and he can **** off now as far as I'm concerned. I don't want another red cent from our coffers going into the bank account of someone like him.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He would have definitely ruffled some feathers. I don't think anyone would say the timing of any of this has been well handled. How much the feathers are ruffled, who knows.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-PJ- wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:49 pm I don't understand what's happened here to be honest.

He came here on a 3yr deal it's it's turned sour.

How did this happen ? And why was it allowed to happen ?

I'm angry..angry because when he sat down with the club over 12 months ago he agreed to terms. I don't care about dotting the Is and crossing the Ts..

Both parties presumably shook hands..

Has Bateman screwed us or has the club failed to give him the pay rise they both negotiated ?
Bateman came down here and really made all the players accountable for their performances. They all seemed to buy in more for eachother. Bateman rode the raiders success last year and used the biggest moment in the clubs recent history to start agitating for more money and hes been carrying on a treat since. Team hasnt looked like playing for eachother since.
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm hearing the Roosters are under the cap by $300k.

$300k + brown paper bags = John Bateman
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

"Won't be at Raiders in 2021"

Hasn't been here 2020 either 😃
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Sack the arrogant **** now for breach of contract.
Surgery after the test, before the season what a **** I don't want to see him in green again.
Good **** riddance.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Anyway..

Just thinking..

Have have funds to buy a replacement.

That's exciting right ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

edwahu wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:58 pm
RichmondRaider wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:52 pm Is it just me or will he end up with less in both of these proposed options?

It this more than money?
The Dogs deal is a little bit more but for a longer period. I think he was reported to be on 600k for another year, this will be 650k range for another two years on top of that.

The Wigan deal would be about getting home.

I am surprised we wouldn't be able to match the Dogs deal since it's dropped from the 800k range discussed before, but it also makes me think he might of burnt some bridges the club might not want to.
There must be more here. I though he was offered a bump last year around 700k?

He is now looking at taking potentially less or slightly more to run around with L Lewis?

Unless he is keeping the dogs offer around to push Wigan?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

TPJ would be good. Broncos are way too heavy in the forwards and if smart would release him
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

That’s why we should’ve gone all in and kept BJ for this season.

Really **** up on this one.

Very disappointed.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

-PJ- wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:08 pm Anyway..

Just thinking..

That's exciting right ?
Who on the market is even close to the skill of Bateman.

We could go for Kevin Proctor (again) and hope he somehow de-ages himself five years. Or we could go for that paragon of virtue Corey Harawira-Naera? He'd surely fit in with our no douchebags or people who sleep with schoolkids philosophy?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:00 pm
Ron78 wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
Well said.

I'm sorry, but he then de-railed the focus of that GF week by bringing up his contract four days before the **** game.

He has shown himself to be a man of near Dugan-esque character as far as I'm concerned. The club better be getting it's transfer fee back, and he can **** off now as far as I'm concerned. I don't want another red cent from our coffers going into the bank account of someone like him.
I never said he was a good bloke or liked the club, for all I know he is a money hungry dog like most people seem to think. The fact is he played a key role in helping is make last year's GF, As a raiders fan these do not come around very often.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

That's what hurts all the more! He was an important part of our grand final squad. To see that slip away so soon, is just exactly the curse we should have expected as Raiders fans
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:13 pm

Just thinking..

That's exciting right ?

We could go for Kevin Proctor (again) and hope he somehow de-ages himself five years. Or we could go for that paragon of virtue Corey Harawira-Naera? He'd surely fit in with our no douchebags or people who sleep with schoolkids philosophy?
Proctor wasn't worth 600k at even his peak. We dodged a big bullet on that one once already.

I reckon we should gamble on TPJ, clearly the coaching at the Broncos has been sub-par for a while now and he has huge upside. We could probably get him at a discount as well.

Or we let Cotric walk and give Fifita a million. Surely he would take us over the Titans.
Last edited by edwahu on June 30, 2020, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Good News!! This clown is all about the money!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:13 pm

Just thinking..

That's exciting right ?

Signing Proctor this time would be very different to last time. He'd be a lot cheaper. His market value isn't really there and the role we'd have him playing is a competitive one rather than "your spot is locked in".
I'd be fine with a 2 year signing, well below that 600k. At least he can defend. You can move the money elsewhere.

But if he's available I'd be signing CHN.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

yeh raiders wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:13 pm That’s why we should’ve gone all in and kept BJ for this season.

Really **** up on this one.

Very disappointed.
Yeah, thinking of the manly game last year while reading this
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sounds like the initial contract wasn't very water tight. John "show me the money" Bateman - good luck to him.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If this is about being back with his daughter , what can you do. All the best back in the UK And please leave the transfer fee at the door on the way out.

But if he goes to the Dogs for a few K more...that would be slack no matter which way you look at it.

This guy could have been a cult Raiders hero but now he will be put in the category of Dugan, Fergo et al

My bold prediction is that whatever he chooses to do, his career peaked at the Raiders and it will be downhill from here.
Up The Milk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am very, very pissed.

Hope the Raiders chase him or his manager or his new club for the transfer fee. We did everything for him, we paid the fee, EDIT, made him as welcome and comfortable as we could, and this is how he repays us.

**** I'm steamed.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Timbo
David Furner

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Timbo »

Oh **** me, it just occurs to me, if we'd know this we could've kept BJ and wouldn't have Scott falling about like Bambi on Ice in the **** centres.

I hope Bateman's career is just a long downhill slide from this point. I hope Lewis and Cogger give him nothing but hospital balls and he gets nailed every time, and he has to make 100 tackles a game as the Dogs turn over the ball over and over.

**** you Johnneh. ****. You.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Covering all his rehab for a second surgery, knowing that he may not play at all this year, is the real kick in the teeth. Like sticking with your girlfriend through a rough period and helping her recover, only to see her **** off to some sugar daddy the minute she's better.

My bet is that long term, Jonneh will live to regret this decision. League over in the UK is a minority sport, and doesn't have the money we have here. If he stays here, joining a club like the Dogs with their garbage squad and bargain bin coach would be career suicide. He was here for one season and made a huge name for himself - now he's gone and risked all that.

I generally don't begrudge players making a dollar from the game, their lifespans are short and and the game is unpredictable, but I can't help but think Jonneh's been given some horrible advice here. Good luck.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Timbo wrote: June 30, 2020, 1:30 pm Oh **** me, it just occurs to me, if we'd know this we could've kept BJ and wouldn't have Scott falling about like Bambi on Ice in the **** centres.

I hope Bateman's career is just a long downhill slide from this point. I hope Lewis and Cogger give him nothing but hospital balls and he gets nailed every time, and he has to make 100 tackles a game as the Dogs turn over the ball over and over.

**** you Johnneh. ****. You.
You think Stuart is going to tell a player "he's not good enough for the team", and then re-sign him? Nope. BJ was never staying. We may have ended up with someone different to Scott but BJ would not be here.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

-PJ- wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:49 pm I don't understand what's happened here to be honest.

He came here on a 3yr deal it's it's turned sour.

How did this happen ? And why was it allowed to happen ?

I'm angry..angry because when he sat down with the club over 12 months ago he agreed to terms. I don't care about dotting the Is and crossing the Ts..

Both parties presumably shook hands..

Has Bateman screwed us or has the club failed to give him the pay rise they both negotiated ?
I agree, how did all go to crap so quickly.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Disappointing but what can you do?
I vote use his money to buy another middle to help Papalii out and let Whitehead, Tapine, Young and Horsburgh cover the backrow, I could certainly see the upside of having a crack at TPJ
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Gee I hope he gets to play one home game with fans present. Will give this $+_($ grief.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

This actually makes me sad.

Whatever way we look at it, it just feels as though our premiership window is closing. This just shows we can never have nice things.

Bit of a kick in the teeth tbh, injured all season and a bit of last season and this is how we are repaid... of course assuming he does stay in the NRL.

Also not great cap management if we lose Leilua, Bateman and Sezer only to be compensated with Williams and useless Scott.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

EDIT
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I hope we have used Curtis Scott as a bargaining chip.
‘Jonneh, we will release you from your contract with no transfer fee if you take Scott to Wigan as well.’

But seriously, we should be making some very quick phone calls to Joel Thompson’s manager and trying to get him to stay in Aus for a 2 year deal. Good for the team, good for Huddos progression, good for the cap.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Also, James Hooper will be feeling pretty smug right about now. And rightly so, he was crucified by Bateman.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

89_90_94_?? wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:43 pm Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
:clap: :clap:
100% agree

Thanks for the memories John. And hopefully you can get back this year and help us make some more.
If not, so be it... 2019 was the most fun i've had supporting his team since i was 6 years old and he played a really big role in that.