Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by Azza »

gergreg wrote: May 23, 2020, 4:47 pm Wouldn't surprise me if Don has said 'go see what's on offer and come back to us and we'll see how close we can get to matching it'.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't think this is as big a deal as is being made out to be.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 23, 2020, 5:15 pm
gergreg wrote: May 23, 2020, 4:47 pm Wouldn't surprise me if Don has said 'go see what's on offer and come back to us and we'll see how close we can get to matching it'.

Yeah, I don't think this is as big a deal as is being made out to be.
Agreed, though there is no question there is a very real chance he finds an offer we can’t go close to matching
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

He’s tweeted saying Raiders feeling salary cap pinch next year and can’t offer him anything from 2022 on because of cap pressure. Which is why he’s got permission to negotiate with others and has been
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:13 pm He’s tweeted saying Raiders feeling salary cap pinch next year and can’t offer him anything from 2022 on because of cap pressure. Which is why he’s got permission to negotiate with others and has been
I don't believe that - no way we wouldn't make him an offer of some sort.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

I don’t think he’s worth a big upgrade for his play alone. But he def instills that ultra competitive never say die attitude in the squad. In the Melbourne semi last year he was the one going around revving the other players up in the last 10 mins when it seemed it had slipped from our hands... it’s pretty typical for us to slump and pack it in when the chips are down and that didn’t happen last year and I think he’s a big reason for that. I fear him leaving for that reason alone and think a happy and well paid JB is worth every penny
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Rubbish article, nothing to see here.
Everyone knows JB is underpaid based on 2019 form.
If he continues to turn in great performances, the club will top him up and extend him.
Only issue I have is that grub of a manager pulling the strings in the background and playing possum in the media..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Settle yourselves': Canberra Raiders star John Bateman talking to other clubs

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman has attempted to calm speculation about his future despite news emerging he is free to negotiate with rival clubs.

"Like I said yesterday never once have I asked for a release neither has my management," Bateman said on Twitter. "Canberra gave me permission to talk to other clubs months ago because they're tight on the [salary] cap next year and have nothing for me from 2022 onwards. I have a renegotiation clause in my deal for every year that's why we are working through it. I love the Raiders and want to be here. So settle yourselves down and let's get talking about the season starting back up."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We do have most of the core of the side locked up beyond 2021. It's mainly fringe players or expected retirements off contract before then.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

edwahu wrote:We do have most of the core of the side locked up beyond 2021. It's mainly fringe players or expected retirements off contract before then.
We still haven't locked in Cotric past this season which will be another tough one to hold on to. Our premiership window is rapidly closing.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Time to give a few of the veterans in the squad long deals only to medically retire them early. We should also be enquiring into those NRL whole of game sponsorships that the Roosters seem to use. I'd like to see Hodgo get a Fox sponsorship as well, I think he is very well spoken and really knows the game - he will make a decent coach IMO.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nothing for him for 2022 ... What?

This is why I hate the roosters so much they ain't subject to the narrow premiership windows that all the other clubs like us are
Last edited by Azza on May 23, 2020, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Still early in the 2020 season and we're worried about contracts for 2022. Talk about wasting mental energy. Given the level of uncertainty I doubt any club will be making any big ticket future offers for an edge forward. Even one of Bateman's level.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I agree I'm just not sure whether that comment is his way of saying he won't be here in 2022
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:36 pm Still early in the 2020 season and we're worried about contracts for 2022. Talk about wasting mental energy. Given the level of uncertainty I doubt any club will be making any big ticket future offers for an edge forward. Even one of Bateman's level.
I wouldn’t bet on that. Sporting clubs are not known for brilliant forward thinking and cautious approach to free agent

There is already reports about what offers clubs have made. And they’re substantial
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:36 pm Still early in the 2020 season and we're worried about contracts for 2022. Talk about wasting mental energy. Given the level of uncertainty I doubt any club will be making any big ticket future offers for an edge forward. Even one of Bateman's level.
I wouldn’t bet on that. Sporting clubs are not known for brilliant forward thinking and cautious approach to free agent

There is already reports about what offers clubs have made. And they’re substantial
If Boyd can get over a million you bet Bateman can find a club stupid enough to offer him the world. Especially basket cases like the Bulldogs and Dragons.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's an excellent player. But shoulder issues and being a second rower make 800k+ in a potentially shrinking [or not growing] a pretty radical bet. You can get an excellent 2nd rower for 600k.

We'd probably have to let him walk if he gets mad money. Pretty happy we are making smart decisions about recruitment and retention these days.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm worried :(

I want our premiership
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:35 pm Nothing for him for 2022 ... What?

This is why I hate the roosters so much they Aunt subject to the narrow premiership windows that all the other clubs like us are
Seems strange... On Fox League Live this afternoon, Rothfield said he was talking to Ricky Stuart today... then Rothfield reported that the Raiders would negotiate an new deal if they could extend it... and had space for 2022, but not in the remaining years of his contract.

A lot more to this story yet and looks like it will be a marathon.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Raider Azz wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:32 pm
edwahu wrote:We do have most of the core of the side locked up beyond 2021. It's mainly fringe players or expected retirements off contract before then.
We still haven't locked in Cotric past this season which will be another tough one to hold on to. Our premiership window is rapidly closing.

Everyone loves cotric but for me if it was a choice of signing only one of Bateman and Cotric I think I'd take a punt on the likes of HSS, Timoko to fill Cotrics spot and lock up Johney boy.

Hopefully we can keep both.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

If we paid a 200k transfer fee to get him over surely that obliges him to play out the initial contract at the very least - despite gaining a new manager on the hunt for a cut.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:28 pm
Raider Azz wrote: May 23, 2020, 6:32 pm

Everyone loves cotric but for me if it was a choice of signing only one of Bateman and Cotric I think I'd take a punt on the likes of HSS, Timoko to fill Cotrics spot and lock up Johney boy.

Hopefully we can keep both.
Yep, it would REALLY REALLY suck to lose Cotric, but if losing him and replacing him with HSS or Timoko allows us to keep Bateman, that is an absolute no brainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:14 pm

This is why I hate the roosters so much they Aunt subject to the narrow premiership windows that all the other clubs like us are
Seems strange... On Fox League Live this afternoon, Rothfield said he was talking to Ricky Stuart today... then Rothfield reported that the Raiders would negotiate an new deal if they could extend it... and had space for 2022, but not in the remaining years of his contract.

But isn't he contracted to 2021 only at the moment? If so what do you mean by remaining years?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:45 pm

But isn't he contracted to 2021 only at the moment? If so what do you mean by remaining years?
2020 and 2021.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd keep Cotric over him if he stays on until the end of this deal anyway. If we haven't won it by then the squad would need a shake up and Cotric would still only be 23.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:51 pm

2020 and 2021.
Don't know what you mean then
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Any shake that that prioritises a a winger over a 26 y/o backrower who's one of the best 10-15 players in the world is no shake up im signing up for

We can find backs. Maybe not as good as Cotric but good enough... Finding another John Bateman is going to be much harder
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2020, 7:51 pm

2020 and 2021.
Don't know what you mean then
There are two years left in his contract, 20 and 21. The Raiders have no room to offer more, $7-8k, in the two years after that. According to Rothfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Maybe it's just a similar thing to Jack, new manager, new bottom feeder..
New deal, upgrade, one extra year in the club's favour.
750k and cap rises or dips.
And that's it, back up your demands on the field John.
Prove your worth it again.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Botman wrote: May 23, 2020, 8:32 pm Any shake that that prioritises a a winger over a 26 y/o backrower who's one of the best 10-15 players in the world is no shake up im signing up for

We can find backs. Maybe not as good as Cotric but good enough... Finding another John Bateman is going to be much harder
He would be 28 at the end of his current deal. Not past it but not getting any better.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

28 is right smack bang in the prime for an edge forward

Really good wingers can be found. We’ve got one right now who’s a back up. Game changing, culture changing world class forwards are tough to find
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And if the Dogs or Dragons are after a star forward, fine... lets talk turkey about Tarps.
Outside of the spine, and MAYBE Papalii, JB is the most important player in this team
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He'll stay. We will be ok.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:And if the Dogs or Dragons are after a star forward, fine... lets talk turkey about Tarps.
Outside of the spine, and MAYBE Papalii, JB is the most important player in this team
Surely accidental, but you forgot BYC Image

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Once again contract talk is the biggest blight on the game.

Seriously, we have gone weeks worrying about whether the 2020 season will go ahead and then a few days before it recommences, the discussion is about whether a player can fit into the salary cap for 2022.

Spare me.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

You're a good kid, John. But you've had one good season.

We've got a good culture, and if you're going to jeapordise that - you can let the door hit you on the way out.

I hope he stays - I hope this is a beat up, but we are surely past the days of being held to ransom by star players.