Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:45 pm And this idea that players have to make as much as they can cause they retire early is bullocks. They might retire from footy but they can get another job after!
And if your back is messed up which limits your ability to sit at a desk for long hours?
And a knee or shoulder is messed up with limits your ability to do physical labour?
And if your struggling with some things mentally because you've spent the first 34 years of your life having your brains scrabbled for a living?

What then? Because that is the reality for a lot of players post career.

They sacrifice their body's and their future for our entertainment. They have a right to maximise their income and set themselves up so their sacrifice for our entertainment allows them the luxary to not have to work if they dont need too... and the reality is most of them never earn THAT level of money and they are forced back into the workforce with the scars of their playing career... and you know who isnt there? you know who never gives a **** about their struggle at age 40?

Football clubs and their fans.

Josh Miller literally knocked himself out for this club, on many many occasions, and he never earnt life changing money... anyone know what he's doing now? What his life is like? What all the brain damage, the constant scraps and scopes and the impact his modest playing career had on his future.
Maybe someone knows but i dont and i bet 99% of posters reading this dont either... he might be living the high life or he might suffering through some major **** and we dont give a ****.
Last edited by Botman on June 30, 2020, 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's only so many chairs in the Fox League studio..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by greeneyed »

Let’s not be too harsh on the fans’ hopes and expectations either. Most have no hope of earning what the players do in their careers, ever. It’s reasonable that they hope the players love their club as much as they do. They’re special athletes who deserve to be well rewarded, very well rewarded. And the top players are. And the ones who steer well, build a platform for their future, and build relationships and opportunities for the future. And that need not mean pushing for an extra $50k net for one or two years by walking out on clubs early. And that might be what our coach was suggesting today. What is in a player manager’s interests, an unscrupulous one, doesn’t always recommend what is in the player’s interests. Sadly, some player don’t see that until it’s too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:52 pm
cat wrote: June 30, 2020, 8:45 pm And this idea that players have to make as much as they can cause they retire early is bullocks. They might retire from footy but they can get another job after!
And if your back is messed up which limits your ability to sit at a desk for long hours?
And a knee or shoulder is messed up with limits your ability to do physical labour?
And if your struggling with some things mentally because you've spent the first 34 years of your life having your brains scrabbled for a living?

They sacrifice their body's and their future for our entertainment. They have a right to maximise their income and set themselves up so their sacrifice for our entertainment allows them the luxary to not have to work if they dont need too... and the reality is most of them never earn THAT level of money and they are forced back into the workforce with the scars of their playing career... and you know who isnt there? you know who never gives a **** about their struggle at age 40?

Josh Miller literally knocked himself out for this club, on many many occasions, and he never earnt life changing money... anyone know what he's doing now? What his life is like? What all the brain damage, the constant scraps and scopes and the impact his modest playing career had on his future.
Maybe someone knows but i dont and i bet 99% of posters reading this dont either... he might be living the high life or he might suffering through some major **** and we dont give a ****.
I believe he is a successful gym owner. So probably not the best example to make a case with.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Josh miller runs a very successful gym and is fitter and healthier then ever

Every job runs the risk of injury be it mental health or physical, to use that as an excuse is a cop out
And very few jobs have full time physios, doctors and educators helping them

Players should be planning for post footy life, be it investment or upskilling through courses. There are many careers that have short career span on a lot less money
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:04 pm I believe he is a successful gym owner. So probably not the best example to make a case with.
Na i think it holds... if thats what he is, great im super happy for him... but there is hundreds of Josh Millers in RL and clubs and fans dont give a **** about them once they're no longer useful for the laundry.

I could sit here and list 100 names... some of them are probably doing OK, others are not. Laurie Daley cant participate in charity touch football games because he literally cant run. His knees are shot to bit. Will Zillman had his entire career **** in 3-4 games over 2 years on two horrifically unlucky injuries.

This **** aint like over jobs. It can not be compared to other jobs. You cant ask them to sacrifice more than they already do.

Josh Miller is doing great now, but that dude is probably going to dribbling into his bib by the age of 60 due to brain damage. And the club and fans wont be there for him then.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Lol please. They get to live like gods. They get popularity and sexual attention we can only dream of. It's hardly some burden they have to bear, they're the lucky ones.

Financially, they can pay off homes and not have to worry about housing for the rest of their lives. They might not be set for life but that is at least one major worry of the masses that they won't have to share
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Canberra Milk wrote:

Lol please. They get to live like gods. They get popularity and sexual attention we can only dream of. It's hardly some burden they have to bear, they're the lucky ones.

Financially, they can pay off homes and not have to worry about housing for the rest of their lives. They might not be set for life but that is at least one major worry of the masses that they won't have to share
Botman won’t be able to relate to this point. He’s a stud
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

OFFICIAL: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Neeeegz »

Get your injuries fixed like..
Checks notes..
John Bateman just before start of the 2020 NRL season.
Nice one lad.
Got us good.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Anyone think the club might know Somer about his shoulder may not be the same hence why we didn’t want to pay the cash?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:19 pm Botman won’t be able to relate to this point. He’s a stud
Feel like Kman low key told on himself on that one :lol: ... i am not a stud... though my wife still indulges my ego and tells me im handsome, i know she's lying.She's a saint. And i am not worthy

But that's some.... to quote a less than great man... "jealousy is an illness" scene
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Personally I don’t buy the notion that players are somehow above the notion of what a legal contract stands for.

I don’t think just because they are professional athletes, they somehow are entitled to break contracts to further their financial rewards elsewhere without personal consequences.

There are careers post football and it was never guaranteed that a short career in the NRL ought to set you up for life. Money only recently flooded the game to the point were now questioning whether it has peaked.

In general the blame falls on the NRL for not cleaning this area of the game up.

When the money came into football, not enough was done to educate players about life after the game and as an extension, we now have zero value placed on moral Issues associated with signing a contract.

Anyway, a system where the player is guaranteed the money they sign, but the club is allowed to trade that player for equivalent value would be a better approach in my opinion (like the NBA).

Where this stinks is that it leaves us short an edge player and now forces us into the market to find a solution, instead of forcing the player to honour the agreement or allow the Raiders compensation for the player who has decided to basically quit.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:33 pm Anyone think the club might know Somer about his shoulder may not be the same hence why we didn’t want to pay the cash?
I think its certainly played A role... what level who knows?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:44 pm
zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 7:11 pm "Does the speaking for him" does not mean John is feeding him lines. It's everything from "you handle the negotiations" to "that offer is a joke, get me more from the ****".
It's pretty obvious from how Stick regards John who he thinks was the bigger problem in the way this played out, and who he is annoyed at for that comment.
You're wasting your time, mate. Let em think what they want, as you said Stuart made it painfully clear where the communication problems were... and it wasnt JB
I agree, but to be completely objective, Hodgo is managed by the same rat, and we never heard boo from Moses on that one. So quite obviously Moses had a different set of instructions on the 2 cases.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Canberra Milk wrote:

This conversation piqued my interest. Here's a genuinely depressing article from 7 years ago:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f51c5b165c

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ricky Stuart has said all the right things in this circumstance. It is good to make it clear that the club should not be held to ransom by player managers. The point about the Broncos and Warriors being in a mess because of this is well made. You can add St George and the Dogs to that list.

I also don't for one second truly believe Stuart isn't pissed off with Bateman about this. John B has let his coach and the club down big time. Like next level screwed us over. It's not a good look.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 30, 2020, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

T_R wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:09 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:

This conversation piqued my interest. Here's a genuinely depressing article from 7 years ago:

Man I miss Josh Miller. One of my all time faves.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

As I have said before, I think the player movement in the NRL is one of the most frustrating thing in the game for fans.

The reality is Bateman signed a contract, if he came here and was a dud, which wasn’t beyond the realms of possibility as he was untried in this comp, we would have been up for the money. Suddenly he performs well and there is a fight to get more coin.

I think Ricky’s interview on the Raiders website summed it up perfectly and I encourage the club to continue to stick to their guns and name a price in negotiations and if players leave we have to live with that. The alternative is you end up losing many more players because there is no money left in the cap. If what has been reported in the press as players salaries is correct, I think we have got the balance about right.

The truth is we “cheated” the salary cap in 2019. No I don’t mean we broke the rules, but we were able to pay a number of players in particular CNK, Simonsson, probably Cotric and to a lesser extent Bateman, far less than the value they delivered.

It seems now we are forced to pay full whack and that may not be enough. We will need to find some more bargains so that we can “cheat” again.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Footballers are very lucky in that they get an opportunity to meet all sorts of high profile people so can set themselves up very nicely for life after football if they use their smarts.

This Story below relates to AFL but can be adapted to the NRL. This is the sort of story that needs to be told more. I first knew this guy when he was about 16, he lived with his single mother who had split from his father and certainly didn’t come from a rich background. Welshy has certainly used the opportunities give to him by being a professional footballer.

https://www.afr.com/property/residentia ... 020-gs6f80
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:19 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:

Botman won’t be able to relate to this point. He’s a stud
:lol: :lol: very good.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2020, 9:03 pm Let’s not be too harsh on the fans’ hopes and expectations either. Most have no hope of earning what the players do in their careers, ever. It’s reasonable that they hope the players love their club as much as they do. They’re special athletes who deserve to be well rewarded, very well rewarded. And the top players are. And the ones who steer well, build a platform for their future, and build relationships and opportunities for the future. And that need not mean pushing for an extra $50k net for one or two years by walking out on clubs early. And that might be what our coach was suggesting today. What is in a player manager’s interests, an unscrupulous one, doesn’t always recommend what is in the player’s interests. Sadly, some player don’t see that until it’s too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just ask anthony milford.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I have to say im devistated by this news. I dont think there is any coincidence we made the gf in the 1 year he played for us and we are struggling without him. He reminds me of a ben kennedy, win at all costs type player that we will live to regret allowing to leave. There are certain players that lift other players around them and he is one of them. Id have preferred we released tapine to keep him by alas this ship has sailed. It will be interesting to see what we do with his cash, hopfully we dont blow it on another scott like signing.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Releasing players to keep others with extorting managers is a recipe for a bad time.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Firstly, to those trying to act like this isn’t a big deal. Bateman leaving is a huge hole in our squad. We hadn’t seen consistent application (particularly in defence) across an entire season until he came to the squad last year. As I have said a number of times in other threads - we were 0-4 without him last year. He made 100+ metres in most games, as well as being one of the top tacklers. Other than Papa, we don’t have any forward with that sort of consistent, game to game, metres made. The guy was a huge part of what we did in our most enjoyable season since 1994. Let’s not start pretending he is easy to replace, or that he wasn’t a key contributor.

I feel like some of the commentary is unfair on Bateman. Usually I agree that a contract should be abided by, which is why I often think it is in the clubs best interest, in most cases, to try and keep the terms of contracts to 2 years maximum. However, in this case - Bateman has a yearly renegotiation clause in his contract. He is doing nothing wrong according to the terms of the agreement signed - he just couldn’t come to an agreement with the club. The club was silly for putting that clause in the contract - it essentially meant that the club bore all of the risk, and Bateman had all the upside. This is not about the “sanctity or contracts”. In saying that, there is no doubt Moses got in his ear and exaggerated his value - the likely outcome of this is he will agree to a deal somewhere else for less money than he knocked back from us last year.

It is disappointing as a fan, as he is such a joy to watch, but also completely understandable for him to want to do what is best for him and his family, under the terms of the agreement which he signed.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, whether you agree with what Bateman did or not, Moses has certainly done an awful job of representing him.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

TongueFTW wrote:
I feel like some of the commentary is unfair on Bateman. Usually I agree that a contract should be abided by, which is why I often think it is in the clubs best interest, in most cases, to try and keep the terms of contracts to 2 years maximum. However, in this case - Bateman has a yearly renegotiation clause in his contract. He is doing nothing wrong according to the terms of the agreement signed - he just couldn’t come to an agreement with the club. The club was silly for putting that clause in the contract - it essentially meant that the club bore all of the risk, and Bateman had all the upside. This is not about the “sanctity or contracts”.
Does that not also mean the club could renegotiate if he was a plodder in the nrl?

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

RichmondRaider wrote: July 1, 2020, 7:50 am
TongueFTW wrote:
I feel like some of the commentary is unfair on Bateman. Usually I agree that a contract should be abided by, which is why I often think it is in the clubs best interest, in most cases, to try and keep the terms of contracts to 2 years maximum. However, in this case - Bateman has a yearly renegotiation clause in his contract. He is doing nothing wrong according to the terms of the agreement signed - he just couldn’t come to an agreement with the club. The club was silly for putting that clause in the contract - it essentially meant that the club bore all of the risk, and Bateman had all the upside. This is not about the “sanctity or contracts”.
Does that not also mean the club could renegotiate if he was a plodder in the nrl?
That is why I am saying it was a silly clause - Bateman had all the upside. The club agreed to it.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Bateman never had a clause he could renegotiate. He had an agreement with don that they would sit down at the end of each year to discuss his contract. Bateman and his manager demanded to be able to seek offers elsewhere, threatening to quit. Don smartly allowed them to as it never plays out well when you have a player who wants out and you try and keep them. Im glad our clubs learnt that
Dont delete this GE
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Great article in today’s DT (behind paywall) by Paul Kent that clears up everything

Our upgraded offer was $750k but Moses was of the view they could get $950k.

With only the Dragons and Dogs willing to get near that they came crawling back and were happy to take the $750k.

We then pulled the offer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: June 30, 2020, 10:09 pm This conversation piqued my interest. Here's a genuinely depressing article from 7 years ago:

Jesus...
This is in a nutshell why i am and will always be so pro players doing anything and everything to get as much money from this game as they can. This takes an incredible toll on these athletes, they are entitled to seek the highest level of compensation they can get imo.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Damoni wrote:Great article in today’s DT (behind paywall) by Paul Kent that clears up everything

With only the Dragons and Dogs willing to get near that they came crawling back and were happy to take the $750k.

We then pulled the offer
Hmmm Bateman is worth $750k IMO

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Butters wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:23 am
Damoni wrote:Great article in today’s DT (behind paywall) by Paul Kent that clears up everything

We then pulled the offer
Hmmm Bateman is worth $750k IMO

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Maybe, but they may have committed the money in the meantime. Plus with his injuries it would be a gamble.

Moses certainly screwed him over. It looks like he has lost him a 100k a year and burnt a lot of bridges in the process.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Damoni wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:09 am Great article in today’s DT (behind paywall) by Paul Kent that clears up everything

We then pulled the offer
Yes Paul Kent mentioned this on NRL 360 a few weeks back. $950K puts you in the conversation for David Fifita and as good as we think John Bateman may be, he isn't David Fifita.

That being said, I've always said that the club will make the right call on this and I completely agree with the valuation they arrived at and how they have handled the whole situation.

I'm not as hung up on losing him as a lot of people are. I don't credit 2019 to Bateman or his impact - sorry but if given the option, I'd rather have Elliot Whitehead on our books long term.
Last edited by GreenMachine on July 1, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

GreenMachine wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:33 am
Damoni wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:09 am Great article in today’s DT (behind paywall) by Paul Kent that clears up everything

We then pulled the offer
Yes Paul Kent mentioned this on NRL 360 a few weeks back. $950K puts you in the conversation for David Fafitah and as good as we think John Bateman may be, he isn't David Fafitah.

That being said, I've always said that the club will make the right call on this and I completely agree with the valuation they arrived at and how they have handled the whole situation.

I'm not as hung up on losing him as a lot of people are. I don't credit 2019 to Bateman or his impact - sorry but if given the option, I'd rather have Elliot Whitehead on our books long term.
Who is this David Fafitah of whom you speak :hmmm :D
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:35 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 1, 2020, 8:33 am

We then pulled the offer
Yes Paul Kent mentioned this on NRL 360 a few weeks back. $950K puts you in the conversation for David Fafitah and as good as we think John Bateman may be, he isn't David Fafitah.

Who is this David Fafitah of whom you speak :hmmm :D
I'm crap with names ..lol
David Fifita. :lol: