Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: OFFICIAL: John Bateman to depart Raiders at end of 2020

Post by BJ »

I’m glad the Raiders are seeking compensation over Batemans injury during the test series. I thought at the time he developed an injury through the test series.

It really set Bateman’s pre season and now game season backwards. That’s what the insurance was meant to cover.

If Bateman was fit to play the grand final, no one can argue that his games for England didn’t create or at the very least exacerbate an injury.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: OFFICIAL: John Bateman released from contract for 2021

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:17 pm
Botman wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:04 pm I’d rather try to win a comp this year
But that’s just me
It pretty much is just you at the moment - not many of the top 17 seem interested this past month or so
:lol: :lol: :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Old School Green wrote:If he goes to Wigan no one can begrudge that surely. Who would want to spend years away from your child? With everything that has happened this year, I have no dramas with it.

If he goes to another NRL club it will be akin to the dismissal. Well may we say God Save the Queen; because nothing will save John Dean Bateman
Yeah this is my thinking. I’m disappointed he’s leaving, but wherever he goes next will determine whether I’m supportive or not of his move
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

At this stage, where John goes just depends where he sits on the jerk side of the scale for me. Had he just requested an exit from his contract to return to Wigan then fans would be understanding. The way it all played out leaves a sour taste in the mouth either way for me.

I think there are good arguments that what he has done is reasonable and he did bring great joy with contributions to the GF. So I’m not going to add a JB voodoo doll on the shelf alongside Dugan and Fergo. But he won’t be remembered fondly by me due to this, which is an impressive fall from grace.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: OFFICIAL: John Bateman released from contract for 2021

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:I’d rather try to win a comp this year
But that’s just me
but didn't you see fergo1 said he's not playing so how could he help us win a comp???

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think it’s time for another GH ‘name filter’.

I was watching a Seinfeld re-run the other day where George Constanza ended up negotiating ‘less money’ for their contract deal.

Proposed Filter: ‘Isaac Moses’ should become: Isaac ‘George Constanza’ Moses

The background: Jerry Seinfeld’s great line to George about the contract negotiation.

“Let me see if I understand this. In other words, you held out for less money. You do know the basic idea of negotiation is to get your price up?”

I’m sure John Bateman would love to know that he’s changed his player manager to George Constanza and it’s resulted in a lower contract deal.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gangrenous wrote: July 3, 2020, 7:42 am At this stage, where John goes just depends where he sits on the jerk side of the scale for me. Had he just requested an exit from his contract to return to Wigan then fans would be understanding. The way it all played out leaves a sour taste in the mouth either way for me.

I think there are good arguments that what he has done is reasonable and he did bring great joy with contributions to the GF. So I’m not going to add a JB voodoo doll on the shelf alongside Dugan and Fergo. But he won’t be remembered fondly by me due to this, which is an impressive fall from grace.
He's going back to England. So, I'm fine enough with how it's unfolded given that's the case, unlike some of the drama queens here.

He didn't handle himself the best particularly with his comments in GF week, but I'm fairly accepting of it. We're better off if he doesn't want to be here.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

John Bateman heading home to Super League

Unhappy Canberra backrower John Bateman looks set to turn his back on the NRL and return to England at the end of the season. It is understood the English Test forward will knock back strong interest from Canterbury and St George Illawarra to link with the Wigan Warriors in the Super League.

Meanwhile Canterbury is heavily focused on luring State of Origin winger Nick Cotric from Canberra.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 490fc88d99

Fair enough decision by him in the end.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

edwahu wrote: July 3, 2020, 11:05 am John Bateman heading home to Super League

Unhappy Canberra backrower John Bateman looks set to turn his back on the NRL and return to England at the end of the season. It is understood the English Test forward will knock back strong interest from Canterbury and St George Illawarra to link with the Wigan Warriors in the Super League.

Meanwhile Canterbury is heavily focused on luring State of Origin winger Nick Cotric from Canberra.

Absolutely fair enough, however he didn't cover himself in glory the way he handled it.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The end game here was all about money, not family. That much is obvious from all the info released.

If it was about family, there would have been no lobbying for an increase, no shopping to other teams, no deadline on contract confirmation and no bitter press release from the Raiders.

All we would have had is a glowing joint press release from John and the team, explaining how great the relationship had been, but due to family reason bought to a head due to the restrictions around covid, John would be returning home. We would all understand, and send him off with best wishes.

Dont get me wrong, the result may be that he goes home, but that wasnt the aim or this would have played out very differently.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he came here to make the big bucks and it didn't happen

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

The whole family thing doesn’t really wash with me given he was angling for a 4 year deal and by all reports proved to be the sticking point with the dogs

Anyway I’m over it now, just sad to think he only played one season for us
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

the more you think about it the more question marks over his shoulder long term imo. also explains why he held off opting to get the surgery done, did he want his extension/big new contarct done prior to revealing he needed further surgery? and may also explain why the raiders went a bit cold on him
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Damoni wrote: July 3, 2020, 11:54 am The whole family thing doesn’t really wash with me given he was angling for a 4 year deal and by all reports proved to be the sticking point with the dogs

Anyway I’m over it now, just sad to think he only played one season for us
That would have been fine considering his daughter was due to come over for an extended visit this year. But when it got kaiboshed due to the corona virus lockdown, he probably had second thoughts.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: July 3, 2020, 10:59 am He's going back to England. So, I'm fine enough with how it's unfolded given that's the case, unlike some of the drama queens here.

He didn't handle himself the best particularly with his comments in GF week, but I'm fairly accepting of it. We're better off if he doesn't want to be here.
100% agree on this, if that's how it plays out Im glad he's headed home, that will be the best thing for him and his daughter given the money is much the same, and i am thankful to not have to cheer against him.

He'll always be a favourite of mine. I love the way he plays and i love his mentality. And im thankful for his efforts in 2019 to help us achieve something we hadnt done in 25+ years
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sounds like clubs are no longer wanting to give him what he and his scumager were holding out for.

This is a lesson for him not just as a footballer, but as a man and human being. There's wanting to the best for you and your family, and there's money grabbing greed..... this is more of the latter.

When you've got a great offer put on the table for you, take it. Don't keep holding out for more because as you've seen, you don't know what's going to happen in future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

It's been a very messy affair and I aportion 100% of the blame to Isaac Moses. He tried to take advantage of Bateman's success for his own personal gain. It all went pear shaped from that point onward. The guy is a grub of the highest order. His deregistraion cannot come soon enough and the NRL should refuse any future application for reinstatement.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote: July 3, 2020, 11:05 am John Bateman heading home to Super League

Ok so he falls on the fair enough, can't blame him side of the coin
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Jeez, whilst agreed this can be classed as a "fair enough he is going back to the UK and being with his family", Bateman comes out of this looking like a right old goose and it proves to not always go looking for as many $$$ as you can. You can just as easily burn bridges and devalue yourself by rating yourself so highly.

You have to remember here, he was clearly more than happy to stay in Australia had the money been ridiculous. What is clear is that he is not worth that much, though I'm sure in the media it'll be written as though he is only going home to be with his family.

Moses is a tosser, however Bateman is so silly to fall for this guy's ****.

950k for an injury prone second rower? No one is falling for that. Not even for 800k.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2020, 3:42 pm It's been a very messy affair and I aportion 100% of the blame to Isaac Moses. He tried to take advantage of Bateman's success for his own personal gain. It all went pear shaped from that point onward. The guy is a grub of the highest order. His deregistraion cannot come soon enough and the NRL should refuse any future application for reinstatement.
Moses works for Bateman, not the other way around. So regardless of whether Moses is the agitator or not, at the end of the day it’s 100% on Bateman to have his representative represent him like that - and it’s a cop-out to say anything otherwise
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't think he had a clear idea of what he wanted to be honest. The fact he's heading home actually confuses the motivation a bit.

He's earning good money and his daughter will be well catered for irrespective of his next contract. It's the 30 odd years of work after he retires which he probably needs to start thinking about.

Oh, and how do we get our transfer fee back from Wigan if he breaks his contract with us to head home!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: July 3, 2020, 5:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2020, 3:42 pm It's been a very messy affair and I aportion 100% of the blame to Isaac Moses. He tried to take advantage of Bateman's success for his own personal gain. It all went pear shaped from that point onward. The guy is a grub of the highest order. His deregistraion cannot come soon enough and the NRL should refuse any future application for reinstatement.
Moses works for Bateman, not the other way around. So regardless of whether Moses is the agitator or not, at the end of the day it’s 100% on Bateman to have his representative represent him like that - and it’s a cop-out to say anything otherwise
Moses works for Moses. Bateman is part of his inventory.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 3, 2020, 5:20 pm I don't think he had a clear idea of what he wanted to be honest. The fact he's heading home actually confuses the motivation a bit.

He's earning good money and his daughter will be well catered for irrespective of his next contract. It's the 30 odd years of work after he retires which he probably needs to start thinking about.

Oh, and how do we get our transfer fee back from Wigan if he breaks his contract with us to head home!!
It doesn't sound like he did break his contract. From all reports the year three option was in his favour.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 3, 2020, 5:20 pm I don't think he had a clear idea of what he wanted to be honest. The fact he's heading home actually confuses the motivation a bit.

It doesn't sound like he did break his contract. From all reports the year three option was in his favour.

It wasn’t a contract with an option in his favour.

It was an option to sit down and discuss each year where he felt his value was at. The Raiders upped it to $750k so that would have fulfilled the Raiders side of the contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider47 wrote: July 3, 2020, 4:27 pm Moses is a tosser, however Bateman is so silly to fall for this guy's ****.
That line sums it up for me
JB has to take accountability for how this mess played out, he fell for the sweet nothings that were whispered in his ear... but there is no question in my mind that Issac Moses was the main contributor to this.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BJ wrote: July 3, 2020, 8:45 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

It was an option to sit down and discuss each year where he felt his value was at. The Raiders upped it to $750k so that would have fulfilled the Raiders side of the contract.
Plenty of media at the time reported it as two years with an option in his favour. So even if that changed with the renegotiation last year the transfer fee was still paid with only two years guaranteed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/45112383
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not only that... they should ban his whole company, until he divests any interest or involvement in it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 3, 2020, 9:52 pm
BJ wrote: July 3, 2020, 8:45 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

Plenty of media at the time reported it as two years with an option in his favour. So even if that changed with the renegotiation last year the transfer fee was still paid with only two years guaranteed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/45112383
Yeah, but after that Bateman said that he didn't know where that report about how he'd return to Wigan after two years. Wigan clearly decided to issue a press release which had scant regard to the actual written contract. It might have reflected what was said in vague terms... But it was pretty clearly wrong.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... 6214869000

This is Wigan officially announcing it - to his Mum and Daughter.

Not sure he's gone about it the right way, but when you see that, he's clearly arrived at the right outcome.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Wigan Warriors sign Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman on four year deal from 2021

Wigan Warriors have signed John Bateman from Canberra Raiders for the 2021 season on a four-year deal with a further option for a fifth year.

Bateman returns to the DW Stadium for 2021 after what will be a two-year spell in the Australian capital, in which the 26-year-old England forward has lit-up the NRL having been named Dally M Second Rower of the Year on the back of his dominant performances in Ricky Stuart’s side in 2019.

Speaking about his decision to return to Wigan Warriors, Bateman said: “I’m very happy to be returning to Wigan on a long-term contract. On a personal level, some of the best times of my life have been in a Wigan shirt and I can’t wait to return, to play and make some more memories.

“It’s been a tough decision but to be back to Wigan, to be at home with my little girl, my Mum and the rest of my family is something I can’t wait to experience once again. I still have plenty of unfinished business with the Raiders and my focus now is to get myself back on the pitch as soon as possible and put myself in the frame for selection.”

Wigan Warriors Executive Director, Kris Radlinski said: “Wigan are thrilled to be bringing John back to the DW Stadium.

“John is one of the best players in the world. He has the respect of players and coaches in both hemispheres and is a natural born competitor and leader.

“We’ve been extremely proud to see him take the NRL by storm in 2019 and we’ve always looked forward to welcoming him back to Wigan when the opportunity presented itself. We had an agreement with him that, should he come back to the UK Super League, then we would have first option on him. As he’s entering the prime years of his playing career, I think it’s a real coup for the Betfred Super League to have a player of his calibre return to the competition.

“In what are incredibly challenging times we need to be sensitive to the fact that the financial impact of the coronavirus will inevitably lead to a restructuring of the squad and the Club. John’s arrival next season has been part of that careful squad financial planning. We’re delighted that the continuing overwhelming assistance and messages of support from Wigan fans has made that process more tolerable than it might have been. The reality is that like many other industries we will be making difficult financial decisions for some time to come, as will all clubs.

“We’re in no doubt that this investment in John, as someone who knows exactly what it means to represent our jersey, will continue to drive the club forwards and bring our famously loyal supporters the excitement they’ve earned, as we all head into what will be a crucial period for the sport.

“John is now completely focused on getting fit and returning to the Raiders squad and finishing off his adventure in Australia on the highest note possible.”

Read more: https://bit.ly/BatemanReturns

Video: https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... 6214869000

Wigan Warriors media release

'Unfinished business' at Raiders but Bateman signs with Wigan: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/04/unf ... ith-wigan/

Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman's Wigan return is official: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ok. Good luck to him. Clearly some of this could have been handled much better, but the decision is now made.

Time to focus back on 2020.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Rickmando wrote: July 3, 2020, 5:08 pm
Exactly. People are forgetting that Moses also represents Hodgo, and we had none of this crap when he quietly got an upgrade.
WiganRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by WiganRaider »

Strange one for me this, as a Wigan fan I am over the moon to see JB back at Wigan as I know he will make a massive difference to us.

However, I've followed the raiders now for a little while (Mainly since Hodgson and Whitehead joined) and I would have loved to see Bateman carry on where he left off last season.

Really happy to see fellow Wiganers Sutton and Williams going well though.

I doubt many little towns have produced as many professional RL players as Wigan has, story out in our local news that Canberra might be looking at one of our 18 year olds Harry Rushton evwn though he hasn't played 1st grade for us yet
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm really happy for him. He was clearly missing his daughter. It wasn't handled well but I wish him nothing but the best and hope he makes it back on the field this year to help us go one better.

Oh and I hope the Raiders charge Wigan a massive transfer fee.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

All the best JohnBoy.

For 30? weeks you had me in a happy place..you're a stud.

It's a shame it's ended the way it has but you're going home to family and I respect that.

Before you go home..can you get back on the field NOW, 1 shoulder will do..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: